BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: We Hope to be worthy new members here!
mannings
Junior Nomad

Mood: chill

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 11:58 AM

Wow.. so much for help and warm welcomes than I expected.

Much appreciated!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 12:00 PM

Cool ride and fun looking fam Mannings. Looks like all the basics covered above. Lots of shade and water its gonna be hot, have fun, be safe and look forward to your posts.
Diesel or gas in that bad boy ? And what type and brand of compressor did you go with ?
:cool:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 02:47 PM

You should very warned about taking your family to The Baja.

They will not want to leave!

The area you are heading for is known for it's great beaches and for surf fishing. Though it is very hot down there in those months......it will be a trip that your kids shall talk about for years to come. My kids still talk about the Baja. In fact...I am not "allowed" to sell our beach house in San Felipe...the kids want it after I am dead (a long time from now) :-)

The little town down there (DavidK...the name please).......that market is a must do place to eat at. Go inside ( or outside to the picnic table) and the lady will ask you what you want for lunch. She prepares the meals in the rear kitchen......from scratch. The ***BEST*** chile relleno and beans on the Sea of Cortez! That town has a police office there too btw...hardware store, two restaurants. All you need.

Oh......the market goes to San Felipe twice a week...if you have special needs (groceries of sorts)....he will bring it back for you.

Suffer mines...go early in the a.m. Too hot during the day.
Valle de Los Gigantes....same thing.

Puertecitos...The woman that runs this place is named Clara. American educated and very nice. The little pier there is perfect for catching fish...the kids will love it. Nothing big...but is fun. Hot springs have a concrete path down to them...and must be there at low tide to get the full effect. Entry fee is 20 bucks. Great campsite for a night.
http://www.wolpy.com/places/3991449

For great info about the area.....read this BN board or go to Randy's http://www.blueroadrunner.com/

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 12:15 AM

I realize it might be a tad out of the way, but consider crossing the border at Tecate...it is just so much easier and gentle on the soul! Sounds like you'll have to get your visas and it couldn't be easier there vs Mexicali...you can then take the great toll road over to the Cortez coast. There are a few threads on here as to this crossing. Once again, maybe a bit out of the way but for the type of trip you'll be taking and the large family, it might be worth it. As Nomads post I hope they'll give their input on this!

And by all means head south to San Luis Gonzaga and even further south on the dirt road to Cocos...you certainly have the rig for it!
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Cool ride and fun looking fam Mannings. Looks like all the basics covered above. Lots of shade and water its gonna be hot, have fun, be safe and look forward to your posts.
Diesel or gas in that bad boy ? And what type and brand of compressor did you go with ?
:cool:

Truck's diesel.

The compressor is a VIAIR 440. UNREAL how fast it re-inflates for a portable.
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
I realize it might be a tad out of the way, but consider crossing the border at Tecate...it is just so much easier and gentle on the soul! Sounds like you'll have to get your visas and it couldn't be easier there vs Mexicali...you can then take the great toll road over to the Cortez coast. There are a few threads on here as to this crossing. Once again, maybe a bit out of the way but for the type of trip you'll be taking and the large family, it might be worth it. As Nomads post I hope they'll give their input on this!

And by all means head south to San Luis Gonzaga and even further south on the dirt road to Cocos...you certainly have the rig for it!

The Tecate crossing sounds like great advice.. it's just soooo way out of the way.
I think i'll take my chances at M exicali and hope for the best.

How far south of San Felipe is Cocos?
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 07:43 AM

Welcome

Kentucky the land of pretty horses and fast women...but you lucked out you have a pretty woman-- who cares about the horses?

St George - five children - summer off- there is a hidden message there.

I suspect another member "investigator" and I fully comprehend.

SDM
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mannings
Wow.. so much for help and warm welcomes than I expected.

Much appreciated!

Welcome to Nomads.

And you WILL be getting a WARM welcome in the South Campos in June and July. :biggrin:

The "dry heat" thing can sometimes disappear if you are staying right along the water at that time of year. There is some serious transpiration of water from the Sea when it is in the 80s and the air is in the 90-100+ range.

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by Hook]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The Tecate crossing sounds like great advice.. it's just soooo way out of the way.

Mexicali is just fine... Well signed for San Felipe. If using the downtown/ Calexico crossing, take the street that angles southeast from the border and has train tracks in the center.

Coco's Corner is about 120 miles south of San Felipe (between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1/ Laguna Chapala).

I have road logs posted on Nomad I make during my trips...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28207

Here is the most recent one for Coco's Corner (Puertecitos is about 52 miles south of San Felipe)

PUERTECITOS SOUTH:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

0.0 Puertecitos Junction (Km. 74/75)

5.0 Playa Cristina

6.1 La Costilla

14.7 (Km. 99/100) wide turnout with the view of the Enchanted Islands

25.5 (Km. 117) Okie Landing (a fishing ‘resort’ from the 1960’s with just concrete slabs remaining)
The pavement ended just north of here one year ago (July, 2011).

The end of pavement this trip is at Mile 31.3, just beyond Km. 126. That is almost 6 miles (10 km.) added in one year. This is no rush job, but the quality of the highway is fantastic, with a 110 kph (~70 mph) speed limit.

31.9 Campo Delfines

36.6 Punta Bufeo

41.7 Papa Fernandez’

42.8 Military checkpoint

44.2 Pemex gas station/ Alfonsina’s road/ Rancho Grande store

We topped the gas tank at Gonzaga Bay. Trip odometer reset to 0.

0.0 Gonzaga Pemex

4.7 Arroyo Santa María crossing

7.2 Las Palmitas oasis/ El Camino Real access (reported washed out in 2014, use track in Arroyo at mile 4.7)

13.9 the first boojum (cirio) trees

22.4 Coco’s Corner

(note: pavement in Spring 2014 has been extended to 2 miles south of the Pemex at Gonzaga)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:07 AM

Do people really go to Coco's Corner, just to go to Coco's Corner?

I mean, is that a summer DESTINATION?

I guess I havent been there in a while.................:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:10 AM

It is pretty unique... but I would call it more of a rest stop on the way to or from Chapala or Calamajué.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller

I suspect another member "investigator" and I fully comprehend.

SDM

Being new here.. someone fill me in please.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:22 AM

There is a Mormon connection... as I recall, ELINVESTIG8R posted quite a detailed history of his youth in an LDS polygamist compound... that was a few years ago, so I recommend checking it out.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You should very warned about taking your family to The Baja.

They will not want to leave!

The area you are heading for is known for it's great beaches and for surf fishing. Though it is very hot down there in those months......it will be a trip that your kids shall talk about for years to come. My kids still talk about the Baja. In fact...I am not "allowed" to sell our beach house in San Felipe...the kids want it after I am dead (a long time from now) :-)

The little town down there (DavidK...the name please).......that market is a must do place to eat at. Go inside ( or outside to the picnic table) and the lady will ask you what you want for lunch. She prepares the meals in the rear kitchen......from scratch. The ***BEST*** chile relleno and beans on the Sea of Cortez! That town has a police office there too btw...hardware store, two restaurants. All you need.

Are you speaking of Colonia Delicias (Km. 35-36)?

Here are photos of two of the restaurants there taken back in 2006: On pages 2 and 3: http://vivabaja.com/618/

mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:58 AM

^that's awesome! I knew about the location but had never seen photos or much detail at all about the place.

(and I'm not Mormon.. though all my business partners are..)
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

Mexicali is just fine... Well signed for San Felipe. If using the downtown/ Calexico crossing, take the street that angles southeast from the border and has train tracks in the center.

Coco's Corner is about 120 miles south of San Felipe (between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy. 1/ Laguna Chapala).

I have road logs posted on Nomad I make during my trips...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28207

Here is the most recent one for Coco's Corner (Puertecitos is about 52 miles south of San Felipe)

PUERTECITOS SOUTH:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

0.0 Puertecitos Junction (Km. 74/75)

5.0 Playa Cristina

6.1 La Costilla

14.7 (Km. 99/100) wide turnout with the view of the Enchanted Islands

25.5 (Km. 117) Okie Landing (a fishing ‘resort’ from the 1960’s with just concrete slabs remaining)
The pavement ended just north of here one year ago (July, 2011).

The end of pavement this trip is at Mile 31.3, just beyond Km. 126. That is almost 6 miles (10 km.) added in one year. This is no rush job, but the quality of the highway is fantastic, with a 110 kph (~70 mph) speed limit.

31.9 Campo Delfines

36.6 Punta Bufeo

41.7 Papa Fernandez’

42.8 Military checkpoint

44.2 Pemex gas station/ Alfonsina’s road/ Rancho Grande store

We topped the gas tank at Gonzaga Bay. Trip odometer reset to 0.

0.0 Gonzaga Pemex

4.7 Arroyo Santa María crossing

7.2 Las Palmitas oasis/ El Camino Real access (reported washed out in 2014, use track in Arroyo at mile 4.7)

13.9 the first boojum (cirio) trees

22.4 Coco’s Corner

(note: pavement in Spring 2014 has been extended to 2 miles south of the Pemex at Gonzaga)

Sorry...I realize that Mexicali is fine...I usually am solo or not far from that so we can just bust through and on our way...but I have never crossed with a family and I have no idea of the logistics of the visas etc. DK has the maps and definitely use them! Cocos is 90 minutes "ish" from San Felipe now and as said, worth a stop if heading that way for a day trip...but that road is changing...and that little part of the world of Baja is changing so you may not get another chance to see it...maybe not big deal but if you are there and out for a day run, why not?
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 12:05 AM

For sure you want to hit Gonzaga Bay. It's the best place along that stretch. Way better than San Felipe iyam.

You wouldn't want to just drive to CoCo's for the hell of it. It's a pit stop on the way further South.

I would suggest heading down to Bahia de Los Angeles. It's even better than Gonzaga. I just took my three kids last month.

Three days in Gonzaga and 4 days in BoLA.
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 06:58 AM

What do the kids 'do' at Gonzaga and BOLA?
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 07:11 AM

I like that pedestrian clearing amor on the front of your truck. :tumble: I want.
mannings
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I like that pedestrian clearing amor on the front of your truck. :tumble: I want.

Meh. I don't hit pedestrians. That things for obnoxious bicyclists.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.