Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: the loss of the best of the best
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:21 PM

Somehow bringing Benghazi into a discussion on Robin Williams and suicide... Roger Ailes & Mark Levin, your work here is finished.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Sad... can you stay on the thread or am I more important?

Benghazi is more important and a brilliant comparison with Robin Williams. :lol:

JAYZUS....

Popp-eye wuz more ....... import....... akkk -akakkakkakakaaa....:lol::lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 03:27 AM

Post Script :
Tonight watched a PBS doc on 'happiness, the pursuit of' as in world-wide and what it boils down to. The 'money' factor of course played in, and the statement was made about '' if money doesn't buy happiness, speak to someone living under the bridge"...... Then, not directly, but put albeit appropriately for the time, "if money does, ask ...--- - - - - --- '' and I thought... Robin?

Ethereal food for thought. Great doc, worth watching. Final play, it ain't what you need or got or want, but what you HAVE and how you BALANCE it all. Key word, BALANCE. Final stance, we can all be extremists of ether end; that's the simple way out. Go to the far extreme, back in to the wall, and yell and fight. There's no 'balance' there, just all weighted to ONE WALL or THE OTHER WALL. The true test is out on the middle, on the BALANCE beam, trying to gain EQUILIBRIUM. That's the hardest perch in the universe.

I believe Robin tried. I believe a lot of people talk.

My original opening line to this thread, ""Can I have a room next to Mr. Winters, please ??!!". Was a direct quote by him in his hey-day and Jonathon was battling his demons in full lock-down. He idolized his hero, J. Winters.

I was raised on Jonathan Winters since black-and-white, and raised WITH Robin Williams. Just occurred to me, we're the same age. Best film for me, ''Fisher King''.

He finally got it. I'm certain they have adjoining suites.

RIP Mr. Williams. Say 'hi' to Maude Frickert for me.

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 08:37 AM

RIP Robin, whatever your demons, they are behind you now.

BajaGringo, Thanks for sharing your story- hopefully more of us will reach out to someone(s) today and every day.

I sure wish I had had a chance to meet Cabron- he sounds like a MOST amazing human who went the extra mile.

David- I don't understand too much on the subject but suicide is not about the people you leave behind, I think. It is about being overwhelmed by demons no one else can fathom.

No one has explained faux- it means false or fake in French. Just a play on words by those who don't appreciate Fox news.

reach out amigos, reach out to the next guy or gal. Just a smile can really make a difference.

We will miss you Senor Williams.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
I am quite familiar with suicide, and I stand by what I said because of what it did to my family. I am not advocating my feelings on anyone. Capt. Mike chose to use my first, short reaction to make a deal about it.

I don't watch Faux or Fox News typically, and not at all in several weeks. I have no idea of what Diana T has such a problem with any news or why she misspells it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

It is sad for what happened, but so is the death of the 4 Americans serving their country in Benghazi who were not helped. They didn't want to die, but Robin Williams did.

None of you are in my head, so please don't second guess my responses, as they were just my feelings. They make NO DIFFERENCE to the outcome. Post your feelings and I promise NOT TO HARASS YOU FOR HAVING THOSE FEELINGS.

What folks are trying to tell you, David, is that your feelings are repugnant to most of us, and I judge that most of us are recommending that you KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF. I couldn't possibly be happier to NOT BE IN YOUR HEAD. To have to live in your head would make ME suicidal. YOU seem to be deaf to the feedback. Those are my feelings.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 11:01 AM

David K is so full of himself, there is not room for anything else. I go with the 2 lbs in a one pound bag....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 01:13 PM

David is the alcohol (flaming f150 THREAD), drugs, or are you just plain losing it?

What ever the case may be, there are professionals that can maybe help.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 02:01 PM

A small point, but an important one:

Folks are confusing "thoughts" with "feelings".

Our emotional reactions tend to be the products of/associations with an underlying "thought" or belief (i.e. an idea or a thought becomes a belief when we say. "Yep....that's right").

We most often experience an emotion (mad, glad, sad, etc) without connecting its underlying "cognition".

Folks seeking treatment for depression and/or anxiety are often offered a range of treatment options that most often will/should include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). This method helps a person challenge their underlying belief systems and the relationships they set up in the emotional realm....and also encourages a person to see what situations and ongoing behaviours trigger such cognitive-emotional dynamics. This cycle needs to be altered in order to better manage the cognitive distortions set up in these inter-dependent relationships between one's thinking, emotions, behaviours, and situations they find themselves in.

Mr. William's use of drugs were likely a temporary solution to his ADD mind (racing mind)....and he was seeking relief from the cognitive-emotional flooding he was experiencing his entire life. His "remedy" of substance use was a short-term fix that set up a long-term problem. So, his substance use would have been a symptom....not a primary cause of depression/anxiety

On this thread, it would seem more accurate/helpful to make the distinction between what one is saying they "think" and how they "feel". For example, one poster has stated how he "feels" about Mr. Williams's death, when he is actually presenting what he "believes/thinks"....it is his belief system that draws the reactions....not his feelings .

Folks too frequently say "I feel.....", when they should more clearly say" I think...."...

Treating depression and anxiety (both are classified as Mood Disorders....and are often closely related) is a difficult task, especially in chronic and severe cases.

I am moved by Bajagringo's sharing....and think that his "cabron",
Rodolfo Carranza, was more of an angel than likely any therapist would/could be (I say this as a therapist who is not religious....so consider the term "angel" to be a term referring to those folks who somehow come along and make a significant difference in our perception of the world around and inside us).

Just sayin'

:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 03:49 PM

DK - didn't mean to agitate you but since I otherwise know you as a caring soul generally, your brusque comments on Williams ending his life simply took me back. Clearly you are the board champion of eating your foot often. If you get my drift.... but - keep on posting about Baja as I believe your DO have a lot of good comment on that subject. ;^)

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 09:35 PM

Oh my .. Sure, everyone is entitled to their feelings, and thoughts .. and opinions .. David what you expressed hit a raw nerve ... Many have eloquently expressed what is in my head and heart .. 2 people close to me committed suicide .. my immediate thought about my brother was that Mark was no longer go to live in the terrible pain he was in - he suffered from depression . .. I was sad then, I'm sad now. My best friend from age 5 to 15 jumped out of her 13th floor bedroom window .. my first thought was "could I have done anything to help Jayne?" I know I could not have but 40 yrs later I still wonder. I would never be mean to someone whose pain was obvious, and just because I don't see a cast, or something that 'proves' a person is hurting doesn't mean a damn thing.

I hope that this leads to more intelligent conversations and understanding and compassion.

I must sign off now and go have a really good cry.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 10:20 PM
D.K.

I have heard it on this board and others many times and never thought much of it. but if any expression ever fit. This fits D.K. to the best. YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 10:43 PM

My understanding of suicide is basically there are two different formats of cause: the ''F - YOU!" at getting 'back' at someone(s) by the ultimate hurtfulness, the nose-off-the-face spite hit. The other is the hopelessness of the demons we all have and carry every day, and most have them; just some cannot stand the burden any longer, both physically or mentally/emotionally.

I have had an aunt, 2 first cousins, and at least three early friends in life go 'sideways' for a varying number of reasons. Who knows how many more people are doing 'passive suicide' by over-indulging or not minding their health for a myriad of reasons.... not mine to judge. I'm still mad as hell at Belushi; man, what a loss !! His was accidental.... or was it? Passive?

I hope the loss of an Iconoclast like Robin Williams helps to grow us all in our own individual ways. "Ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances". We all have our own individual walks to take, our own individual choices to make. Personally I think Jack Kavorkian was and is a Saint. We put down sick or terminally dying pets, why not have the same PERSONAL CHOICE? Too bad Robin had to use a belt. When they first mentioned 'asphyxia' the first thing I thought of was "helium, and he went out making voices and laughing his arse off". I laughed, and cried at that.

I especially love what Soulpatch said; "It is my personal belief that our energy has just stepped out of this classroom and into another......" I'm not religious either, but I do feel spiritually motivated. What went down isn't right or wrong, it happened, and there's fabric that is made and remade from it. Hopefully we'll all glean something, if not just the memories of a very funny, talented, and deep person that touched the whole world.

Peace, out.

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 11:45 PM

To label someone cowardly and selfish as to their suicide is in and of itself, a cowardly and selfish act. You have no concept of their life, their pain, their mind, their hurt, their life...you have the right to label people in your life that you knew well as cowards, but to paint that brushstroke on someone you didn't know in the slightest is unthinkable, sick, and immoral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 08:17 AM

Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian (a good one of course) who took his own life when he had countless loved ones and a rich life of plenty.

Because a family member of mine also committed suicide, I had some thoughts on this and I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, sharing thoughts.

Alas, I can't share my thoughts without thought police coming down on me (George Orwell-ist?). I wasn't trying to be mean at all... You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Can we agree to disagree or do you understand my first reply? I am sorry if I made you feel sadder than his suicide already did.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Your point of view differs from most because most people think he did die of an illness, a severe case of depression.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
The other is the hopelessness of the demons we all have and carry every day, and most have them; just some cannot stand the burden any longer, both physically or mentally/emotionally.

Dittos

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by wessongroup]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian (a good one of course) who took his own life when he had countless loved ones and a rich life of plenty.

Because a family member of mine also committed suicide, I had some thoughts on this and I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, sharing thoughts.

Alas, I can't share my thoughts without thought police coming down on me (George Orwell-ist?). I wasn't trying to be mean at all... You think he had a right to kill himself and cause all this pain, and I disagree (unless he had a terminal illness).

Can we agree to disagree or do you understand my first reply? I am sorry if I made you feel sadder than his suicide already did.

I sincerely hope that you can seek professional help so you can learn about suicide and learn to deal with the suicide that affected your life.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Here David, this may help you come to terms with your loss and help dispel the myth that suicide is selfish (and other myths surrounding the tragedy of suicide).

http://www.suicide.org/suicide-survivors.html
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 10:04 AM

A beautiful letter written by Zelda Williams...

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.
To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too…
Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."

‪#‎RIPRobinWilliams‬ ‪#‎Mornings9‬
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks, I see this guy is a big hero to you all, and I just knew him as an actor and comedian...

Amigo, we ALL here only knew him as an actor and a comedian. He wasn't our HERO, but someone who at moments in our lives profoundly touched our hearts with his humor, wit and depth.

The anger and hurt you express at someone's suicide that you did not even know personally, suggests that you haven't yet dealt with how suicide in your own family affected you. Perhaps you should at least consider seeking help with that. It is not a sign of weakness or a character flaw to seek professional help in these situations. Only a human condition of one who seeks to reach a healthy balance in his/her life.

I will leave you with this beautiful letter from his daughter, Zelda Williams...

"My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments.

While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed.

After all, he loved to laugh too…

Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again."

[Edited on 8-14-2014 by BajaGringo]
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.