BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Hughes Net Help in Mulege??
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 10:03 PM

Russ, check out mtnpops idea, it works all over Colorado. I'm from there too. I set up a system using Telmex, an access point router, and a 6 ft antennae in Cuesta Real last year. The signal was strong from the light house to town. At times there would be 12 hotel guests on at on time, using skype, watching movies, online poker etc etc all with high speed download, no lags, no interruptions. That system costs $400. Wasn't someone from Sr Gecko beaming over to PC? That would be an ideal location.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:41 AM

I've been looking at some sites and got a couple responses. Our problem is 8+ miles of water without a repeater. And a reliable line of site base station with the high speed connection. Please, anyone, post any sites with info on equipment that may help. I have plenty of interested people here.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:51 AM

im sorry russ but this is the answer for now...

drive the modem north...
take it to a "hughsnet installer" that "understands" your situation and has a acess to a moveable dish
have a "installer" set it there to satmex6
the installer needs access to a phone to call his "secret number"
...pay him...

in PC aim your dish to satmex6
plug it in and it WILL work again

THIS is the ONLY solution right now

don't get confused by people who haven't had this problem

take the modem north...
you would have internet NOW if you had done this "months ago"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:58 AM

I used radiolabs.com and tomshardware.com. There are several ways this could be set up and equipment selection is overwhelming. I would send a drawing to radiolabs for tech assistance. I think Sophia`s teinda, next to gecko, would let you set up the antenna. I have an antenna and could set up a test site on an existing telmex modem, maybe at sr geckos?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:10 AM

something like that is a temp solution...
what we are using is being shut down piece by piece

it would be nice if telmex would participate but I think the feeling is the outskirts of mulege are "supposed" to be rustic and rural for now...

we need an "investment" from a Mexican "internet/cell" company for a permanent solution

the cost on investment isn't there yet...later we will enter the "real world"

our website is:
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
drive the modem north...
take it to a "hughsnet installer" that "understands" your situation and has a acess to a moveable dish. have a "installer" set it there to satmex6
the installer needs access to a phone to call his "secret number"
...pay him...
in PC aim your dish to satmex6 plug it in and it WILL work again
take the modem north...
you would have internet NOW if you had done this "months ago"
Fellas, let me clear up a few things. The modem does not need to come north to be activated or reassigned to another satellite. It can be remotely reassigned, if needed. The modem just needs to be connected on a known, working system somewhere, and that system needs to be pointed to a working HN satellite.

Once the system registration is completed and the modem downloads its encryption keys for its account (SAN and PIN), the modem will then want to be on the satellite where it's been reassigned.

These systems are sensitive to where they're located because there is a timing circuit in the modem that helps it communicate with the satellite. If the timing is not right, the modem won't work well or may not work at all.

Different locations require a slightly different timing setting. If you move a system far enough, about 50 miles or more, the timing usually needs to be "peaked" for the new location by running the Force Range" command.

Finally, I want to dispel the rumor going round that HughesNet is arbitrarily shutting down accounts in Mexico. A couple of people apparently got this notion by talking to HN CSRs or salespeople.

Please keep in mind who you're talking to: These are mainly $2/hr. order takers sitting in cube farms somewhere in the Philippines. They're only minimally trained to sell, troubleshoot or upgrade to the current Gen4 systems. That's all they know. They have never installed an HN system, and they know nothing about the US legacy market, which needs to be maintained to support tens of 1,000s of mobile Ku-band satellite Internet systems.

Also, Ku is used extensively in Alaska, Hawaii and Canada where Gen4 is simply not available. I got a recent, face-to-face confirmation direct from one of HughesNet's senior product managers who assured me that has no reason to terminate support for Ku equipment or accounts.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:23 AM

BTW, we're now providing cell-phone booster systems in BCS. If you have any fragment of cell signal outside your house or trailer, these can work to restore cell service, and even EDGE and 3G data service in some areas.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:26 AM

not true...you "blew off" russ...

russ need to find a service tech that can call-in and restart service

and hughesnet is shutting off service to billing areas to generate calls for repair...
then...the "up-sell" to GEN4

"I got a recent, face-to-face confirmation direct from one of HughesNet's senior product managers who assured me that has no reason to terminate support for Ku equipment or accounts. "

well that guy doesn't know OR he just lied...not unusual with this company

our website is:
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
not true...you "blew off" russ...
What do you mean "I blew off Rus?"

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
and hughesnet is shutting off service to billing areas to generate calls for repair...
then...the "up-sell" to GEN4
Bob, you're a smart guy, and a straight shooter, and you've given people a lot of help on these forums. But this is simply not true.

If it was, I'd be hearing this from many Ku customers both in Mexico and the US, as well as fellow HN dealers/installers.

There is a grain of truth in that the HN CSRs are taught only to upsell to Gen4, but HN is not shutting down accounts to force this.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:40 AM

well first you were here in sept...didn't assist russ
I guess $$$ talk

second...I have hours of time with installers and hughesnet...and don't think I've talked to everyone

i'm the kind of guy that will travel the entire country to "fix" something

if mexico had a SAT service that worked here I would use that

they ARE "up-selling" at hughesnet...
they use ANY method to talk to you

when the "snowbirds" return to mulege they will see their units don't work
it's just a matter of time

our website is:
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
well first you were here in sept...didn't assist russ
I guess $$$ talk
Bob, I was in San Juanico from the next day after Norbert up to the day before Odile. I had no time left to drive up to PC before I caught my flight back North. I live in California now taking care of my parents. I don't think I ever promised anyone I would definitely be in PC, and I certainly wasn't going to extend my stay and try to drive up there after Odile.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 08:20 AM

and I understand completely...we had a BAD storm

now...the ball is in russ's court...not yours

he doesn't work and could easily drive to YOU!!!

he COULD be fixed in a few days depending what sat he's on or transponder but you could fix that because YOU know what works and what doesnt

our website is:
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 11:57 AM

BTW, Russ, you can send me an Email if you like and, if your system is connected, I'll send you some questions and try to diagnose from here from your answers what's going on, gratis.

Also, I do have new, spare parts in Loreto I left with Jose Dávila.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

The Baja Western Onion
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:12 PM

Just had a service tech/dealer from Exide install sat internet. Works great. Talk to me in a month about billing issues. We are south of Ensenada in Bahia Soledad just north of Santo Tomas. The tech told me that the Exide service should be making it further south soon. This is Mexico and 17 miles off the grid so it wasn't a cake walk. Over 3 weeks of miscommunication and installation equipment not functioning but we got it done. Now if Amazon would offer a drone delivery. U2U me if you want more information about the people who installed the equipment.:tumble:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the info. But until they get south I think I better not frustrate myself further.

Quote:
Originally posted by baconjr
Just had a service tech/dealer from Exide install sat internet. Works great. Talk to me in a month about billing issues. We are south of Ensenada in Bahia Soledad just north of Santo Tomas. The tech told me that the Exide service should be making it further south soon. This is Mexico and 17 miles off the grid so it wasn't a cake walk. Over 3 weeks of miscommunication and installation equipment not functioning but we got it done. Now if Amazon would offer a drone delivery. U2U me if you want more information about the people who installed the equipment.:tumble:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:38 PM

Alan I sent a U2U

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:07 PM

I hate to get in this fray, but as with lots of things going on down here where I live, there are lots of opinions and he said, she said, kind of things. Kinda like all my Uncles that had garages full of Amway Products.

I have an antenna in San Lucas or San Lucita. We paid to have an Infinitum set up put in at the person's house. That person was willing to allow us to mount a 30 foot antenna, cable and a parabolic dish that shoots the signal to San Bruno where my house is.. I know of 4 systems that are doing this at this point. We have a 20 foot pole mounted on the house in San Bruno to receive the signal. Then it comes in to the house with a wi-fi router. This was a fairly expensive set up and works very well at certain times of the day. Because Infinitum has oversold their bandwidth, speeds slow down badly in the afternoon, probably when the kids get out of school or whatever. Someone suggested that was not accurate and Infinitum is always fast, which is not accurate. I have charted download speeds as well as upload speeds for pretty much at least one year and this is a common problem on the system. I have friends who have the most expensive infinitum system in Santa Rosalia so it is not my connection to the system, but the system in general that is doing this. The person who is in charge of most of the installs in Santa Rosalia indicates that this problem could be fixed with 2-3 hundred Thousand dollars but he did not expect Telmex to start doing that for some time until they receive too many complaints.
I am glad I spent the money and have great speed and service most of the time and it is slightly faster than I had with my Hughes Net system. When people say Infinitum is fast because they can talk on Skype, they are talking about the upload speeds which remain pretty good most of the time, but download can get so slow it becomes very difficult to open a web page or email. For me, I just work around it and do most of my computer things in the morning when speed is very good.
So, my friend who lives at Punta Chivato has decided to stay with Hughes Net and Bob Henderson did a good job installing and setting up the system through Alan and she does not lose speed very much in the afternoons. And her dish did not get blown over in the hurricane like mine did.
I think we are lucky to have Alan working with this situation as he is very sharp and knows what is going on. The old days where we set up a US address and then moved the dish down here are gone and it only makes sense to hook up with his program which has good service and speeds until Infinitum comes up with something. Or you could hope and pray that Telmex will run a digital line out to Punta Chivato. We can not even get one of those in San Bruno. Mulege, San Lucas, and Santa Rosalia are the only ones that have digital phone boxes at this point.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 06:54 AM

One other thought. There is a guy from Santa Rosalia who put a dish up on the tower by the Cereso (prison) and has the relay tower in San Bruno. He broadcasts a signal in San Bruno, San Lucas Cove, and places in between. So if someone could get a deal set up with a large dish on a tower in Mulege and broadcast it to Chivato, I am sure there is a very productive and workable business opportunity. I suspect they will need to be well connected politically and able to access a big tower south of Mulege, but it could well happen. The system in San Bruno is actually working pretty well. He did purchase a fairly large bandwidth to do that, but the opportunity is certainly there.

bobh00

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:56 AM

I will be in Mulege in about 10 days. Please contact me later this month after I get down. I would like to set down with you and see what we can do about getting you service !!

Bobh00@live.com. 615-104-3634
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.