Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: What now???? RATTLER!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 04:24 PM

Hemotoxic snakebite is extremely painful (Ged, was that surgery to alleviate toxins and debridement?), causes swelling, deep bruising, and all kinds of Mysery. Yes, most people survive rattlesnake bites; rarely fatal, although you might wish it was. Depends on placement of bite, victim situation (infant, elderly, heart-disease present). Some species of buzz-worm are more potent than others too. One of my patients wasn't given the anti-venin because the effects from it (if not a lot of venom present in the victim) can be almost as bad as the bite, so said our ER doc. Also, his bite was on the back-side of his 2nd finger-bone, so didn't penetrate deeply into muscular tissue. Needless to say, he still was not a happy camper.

This is what I told my river guests: they are more afraid of you than you of them. They aren't 'hunting' you for food, and unlike other poisonous snakes, they have a VERY definite warning system that sez, "LEAVE ME ALONE!". So if you hear it and haven't been struck, you have an excellent chance of taking it up on its' warning. Snakes have fascinated (and scared the hell outa) people since time immemorial. Just remember they are nice enough to tell you when YOU should maybe leave their house (as I said, MY HOUSE, MY RULES).

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 05:40 PM

BB,
Those pics are off the net so not sure about the medical procedure.

What I have seen are some pics that show a guy whose hand was bitten and his arm and shoulder swelled up so bad, his shoulder swelling was pushing his head sideways....massive swelling seems to sometimes occur and the skin splits (you can see that in the surgery pic around his thumb)

The toxins apparently spread through the lymphatic system....instead of the arteries/veins....unless on is punctured w/ venom.

Apparently those with respiratory ailments are more prone to negative results.

A story I heard from a fellow in BC was that there was a guy in Okanagan Falls who caught rattlers and provided them to someone who milked their venom for making anti-venom.

As it went, the rattler catcher liked to have a drink or two. One night he was into his cups with a friend and decided to show off his day's catch to his drinking buddy. Stumbling around a pailful of snakes is not my idea of fun, but the guy got one out and was promptly bitten.

The guy was not happy with the situation and proceeded to beat the snot out of the rattler by whipping it on top of his truck hood for some time. Figuring he had it all under control, he reportedly returned to drinking and then fell asleep after a while.

Poor guy died....apparently being intoxicated was also a risk factor :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

The guy was not happy with the situation and proceeded to beat the snot out of the rattler by whipping it on top of his truck hood for some time. Figuring he had it all under control, he reportedly returned to drinking and then fell asleep after a while.

Poor guy died....apparently being intoxicated was also a risk factor :lol:

...stupid is as stupid does...I'll bet the snakes had a good 'laugh' over that one :rolleyes:
bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 04:39 PM

... glad y'all can laugh it off ... I'd still be, er, "rattled"

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 04:45 PM

Don't the rancheros of Baja use cardón to treat sankebite? I saw it done to Damien in 'Bajo California: The Limit of Time' ! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Don't the rancheros of Baja use cardón to treat sankebite? I saw it done to Damien in 'Bajo California: The Limit of Time' ! :light:

David, you really should not believe everything you watch:light:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 06:18 PM

someone here has a signature:

don't believe everything you think! I remind myself of that often.....

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 08:57 PM

Woody,
That's my line...public domain :yes:

Don't believe everything you think....
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 09:20 PM

When I stayed at my friends little cattle rancho, below the Tres Virgenes volcano, I found an old braided rope in one of the supply boxes.
It looked all frayed, like the fibers would come apart, chose not to use it.....

Later on, my friend explained: this rope was made from cow hair (tails), and the vaqueros would lay it around their sleeping blankets, when staying overnight on the range, to keep the snakes away.
CaboSur
Nomad

Mood: Irrelevant

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 04:55 AM

Yes my dad always used an old rope we went camping. Don't know if its true but seems to have worked for him
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 07:26 AM

I have heard the rope method as well... the snakes do not go over the rough rope. Another Baja method we learned at the Percebu fish camp in 1966 or so... The fishermen kept cloves of garlic in a jar and every night they placed the garlic around their cots claiming that kept away the vipers!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:00 AM

Most of the species of Rattlesnakes in Baja have hemotoxic venom. There are perhaps several ( I know there is at least one )species which have neurotoxic venom, which can be more dangerous and difficult to treat. There is an excellent book with pictures by Ron Mc Peak on the reptiles and amphimbs of Baja. He describes their habitat, range and whether their venom is hemo or neurotoxic. if you are bitten it is very helpful to know what snake has bitten you and it's type of venom. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to go off the beaten path in Baja, and it is really interesting.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:05 AM

and the largest snake antivenom producer is the INSTITUTO BUTANTAN in the Amazon forest.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by azucena
Most of the species of Rattlesnakes in Baja have hemotoxic venom. There are perhaps several ( I know there is at least one )species which have neurotoxic venom, which can be more dangerous and difficult to treat. There is an excellent book with pictures by Ron Mc Peak on the reptiles and amphimbs of Baja. He describes their habitat, range and whether their venom is hemo or neurotoxic. if you are bitten it is very helpful to know what snake has bitten you and it's type of venom. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to go off the beaten path in Baja, and it is really interesting.

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:29 AM

Way back when I was in the Army training at Ft. Hunter Ligget in Central CA, A solder found a 4 foot rattler laying at the bottom of a huge boulder near the mess tent. The boulder I sat on, with my feet dangling near the ground while eating breakfast. The solder carried the snake around in a cardboard box the size of beach ball to show everyone. When he came around my tent, I told the country boy, (Luckily, who I out ranked), to get rid of it and my preference is to kill that some B. He and the snake went away.

A little later, a young female Spec 4 working as a battalion aid medic came around asking if we needed sun tan lotion. I told her about the pet in the box and asked if a bite would be a bad thing. She said yes they are very harmful and should not be played with (No surprise there). I told her the country boy told me he always caught them and had one in an aquarium as a kid.

The medic said; "wow, I would think it would drown".
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:35 AM

Why am I so terrified of poisonous snakes? Is it a learned or natural fear? I grew up in a city and maybe saw one in the San Francisco zoo as a kid. I've encountered 2 rattlers in nature as an adult and both times I was terrified, maybe the most terror I have felt.

Is that learned or natural response? I see big animals like horses react with terror too.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Why am I so terrified of poisonous snakes? Is it a learned or natural fear? I grew up in a city and maybe saw one in the San Francisco zoo as a kid. I've encountered 2 rattlers in nature as an adult and both times I was terrified, maybe the most terror I have felt.

Is that learned or natural response? I see big animals like horses react with terror too.

It might be part of our DNA: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080320132646.ht...

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:55 AM

I always return any snake I find around our property back "to the wild" I just do it one piece at a time!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 09:57 AM

Some of the ranchers bury the head of a dead rattlesnake. They think that when yellow jackets eat the head they will absorb the rattlesnake venom and become venomous.:)
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Some of the ranchers bury the head of a dead rattlesnake. They think that when yellow jackets eat the head they will absorb the rattlesnake venom and become venomous.:)

There may be something to that. After years of eating bacon, my belly is looking like a pigs' belly. :bounce:
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.