Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Brewer. When you quote somebody, don't add to it in the same box!
I didn't say anything about bombing here facebook page, I already said I don't use it
All I was asking is for some one who does, to ask for more info. She may not have even been aware that Jeff posted a link to her fundraising site, and she should be able to straighten out the details before it got of of hand (that sometimes happens here)

AKgringo, I screwed up the quote, big deal. I know you don't do Facebook. So I was talking to the others. I tried to get ahold of her on Facebook. No luck. Simply trying to find out the truth to this story. Peace.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:43 AM

I suffered major losses during Odile
one of my friends started a fundraiser without my knowledge
well meant - but badly executed
immediately the forums where full of scam accusations
so, in addition to the destruction and chaos, I had to deal with personal attacks
for something I didn't even start
something I did not ask for

so I created a Mexican charity and used the money to help Mexicans who lost more than I did - just to keep my good reputation

fund raisers are a wonderful tool - but they can create more harm than good when organized poorly

the morning after Odile

it was pretty bad!

Harald Pietschmann
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 12:25 PM
Nomads can be great source of help/info/support...

ChicaSierra-

FYI- most of the people who use this board are generous, know Baja well, and are willing to help in situations like this.

Please let your network know- many people who use this discussion board have provided help to others during times of need.

If you or your friends are interested in returning to Baja, visit this site before the trip and get to know more about it. It's a great resource, provided by volunteer labor.

Wishing you safe travels, on both sides of the border.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
No details whatsoever forthcoming as to where this allegedly happened, which of course would probably turn up a Nomad or two who just happened to be in the area if known, and may ask some unwelcome questions. The "fundraiser" page showed $2,500 already with a goal of $10,000. Sounds like the Patagonia trip is on the way to being funded.The Baja Nomad site is well known for generous donations being successfully solicited for numerous causes, making it a prime target.

The $2500 dollars, part way goal, is probably just part of a well known practice among people who work for tips at the counter. What you do is place a tip jar on the counter, and then you throw it a couple of dollars, to give the customers the impression, that other customers are leaving tips, so maybe that you also drop a few dollars in the tip jar. Except in this case, they're looking for $10,000 dollars.

Again, the details of the young mountain climber Josie, are just not credible, although a stolen vehicle in either the US or Mexico is very common. The thing about car thieves is they are mostly non-violent criminals, and they don't usually go around wearing a ski masks while shouting "where are the keys, " while wielding a baton at their intended victims. They usually try to steal cars, when nobody is around, especially if they're professional car thieves.

Josie said, she jumped out of the back cab, and quickly jumped in the drivers door that was open. I want to know how she did that when there is a car thief already sitting there.

I also want to know how she was thrown from her vehicle, but somehow only her shoulder was hit by the rear tire. You would think if the vehicle was going fast, that when she was thrown from her truck, she would have been thrown clean, however if she got caught under the tires, she could have been killed, dragged, or injured very badly.

Why wasn't she screaming at the top of her lungs when she first noticed the car thieves were trying to steal her car?

What's also not credible, is newbies coming to "Baja Nomad' which looks like a vested interest, to tell us the incident actually happened, when they weren't there either. And to top that off, they don't want to give the exact location.

Of course not all newbies, are liars, and scam artists, but they just don't have any credibly, because they have no track record of even posting on this site, and personally I look at what newbies say very carefully, because they have no track record.

Hey, I was once a newbie, and Dennis, MtGoat, and a few others game me all kinds of hell, but I didn't mind, because at the time they knew nothing about me. Newbies have to earn their respect like everyone else, but when they come to a forum, with an outrageous tale, on their very first few posts, you have to wonder about that.

I can't wait till 2024, when Jeff comes back with another wild tale.

I'm also personally insulted about a fund raising attempt over a stolen vehicle, where the participants want full replacement value of the vehicle from the charitable givers,( suckers)

I had three vehicles stolen in my life time, and nobody raised money to replace what I lost, and my car insurance didn't cover my full lost. If I was out in Baja, and had my car and cash stolen, I would hope, people would raise a few pesos for a bus ride home, but I wouldn't expect or want them to replace the full value of the stolen car.

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by JoeJustJoe]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 02:23 PM

What Joe said x2....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 02:27 PM

Vehicle thieves described as non violent is totally inaccurate,
one doesn't have to go too far back here to remember an ugly
incident involving a BN on San Q. To me, having credibility
when posting here, revolves around time spent SOB,
not one's BN status or one' s perceived acceptance by long
standing BN posters

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by sancho]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 03:12 PM

it's like religion, either you have blind faith or you don't.

give to this instead: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75878

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 05:47 PM

some things don't add up- a truck came roaring in next to mine-hmmm. usually the el gato noche operate real quite like on foot- roaring in doesn't seem like a smart plan especially where others are camped around.- she mentions cobble stones and sierra said a point 8-9 hours below border. I dunno, maybe the wall ....plus she smacked the guy and didn't get her ass kicked?
brewer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 07:48 PM

Original post deleted. BS. Even chicasierra, who said the story is true, doesn't know where it happened. Josie conned everyone. Nice story.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:26 PM

I camp alone often, and one thing I always do is bring extra chairs with me. Three or four chairs set around the fire ring give the impression of others in the vicinity who are unaccounted for.

Another thing I do is lock my passport, wallet and other valuables in a vehicle safe. I do this in the US as well when I'm out surfing to thwart car burglars. I use this, but there are other brands:

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-club-personal-vault-p68.asp...

WTF
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brewer  
Original post deleted. BS. Even chicasierra, who said the story is true, doesn't know where it happened. Josie conned everyone. Nice story.

It wasn't just Josie McKee. Jeff was working with Josie. Grifters? Assuming the story was a scam, but don't know that for sure,... Another Baja mystery, truthiness eludes us,...
But given that the pitch for $$$ was not very cunning, I think the story is true, and the details perhaps embellished or clouded by fog of time.
There are a lot of criminals everywhere, and even remote fish camps at seven sisters area have meth heads hanging about.

Peace, love and fish tacos!

Peace out!
brewer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by brewer  

It wasn't just Josie McKee. Jeff was working with Josie. Grifters? burrouming the story was a scam, but don't know that for sure,... Another Baja mystery, truthiness eludes us,...
But given that the pitch for $$$ was not very cunning, I think the story is true, and the details perhaps embellished or clouded by fog of time.
There are a lot of criminals everywhere, and even remote fish camps at seven sisters area have meth heads hanging about.

Peace, love and fish tacos!

Peace out!

It's a mystery for sure. But why do you think it's true? Clouded by fog of time? It apparently happened on Nov.30th/Dec.1st.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:52 PM

I love how reality has nothing to do with this site at times. We go down our own road not caring about reality, just building our own little worlds. It's good in mine how about you?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 10:01 PM

I wasn't going to give this thread any extra life since the origninal post was deleted, but here are my final thoughts.
There isn't much fog of time, less than three weeks is what Jeff reported. My gut feeling is that he wasn't a witness or conspirator, but heard the story (probably on facebook) and was trying to help an acquaintence.
Josies story, I don't know what to think! I will bet she had no clue it would wind up on this forum, but she must know about it by now, yet no details about the location, or about the truck and other items stolen. Did she report her passport stolen? I believe something happened to her, but not the story I read here.
I'm done with this.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
jeff

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 10:39 PM

I wish I could think of a reasonable way to respond to all of this but for the life of me I can't.

I just got back to the US on Thursday 18th Dec. and thought it it really odd that I couldn't find a word on this via Google, went to my Facebook page Jeff Lyon, looked up Josie and there was her story plus or minus as I heard it the morning after it happened, which I posted here. The funding part I didn't get to before I posted it and yes I could see how that could be seen as a scam, that however really is a separate issue from the facts. What happened is what happened.

I refused-refuse to name the beach, again that really makes no difference to the facts, I could have said any beach but where it happened dose not change what happened. In a PM I told a Nomad at what beach this happened and was called BS yet again.

I'm sure it will all come out after the holidays and like the campfire story the facts wil be all over the place, but the essence will stil be the same.

For what it is worth I've had no contact with Josie and didn't expect to until our paths crossed at maybe that magical place that is Baja. So yes she had no idea I posted this here and doubt she even knew Bajanomad exists.

For me I'm just a loooooooooong time lurker that has been here since Bajaamigo days.

Jeff

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:12 PM
this is BS

what the hell is WRONG with you ?? the name of said beach should/needs to be made public or to hell with this "story"....as a fellow human/travel nut and beach/surf/fish/dive/ocean nut..if this is a real story..there is no good reason to play this game..Do Tell Why you think you cant/wont tell us the name of the beach..give 1 damn reason..is that Too much to ASK !! btw..IF and that's a big IF this true and someone else gets hurt...it's on your head...safety for travel folks is paramount and you seem be playing with that golden rule among men !!

[Edited on 12-23-2014 by captkw]
jeff

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:22 PM

Capt am sure it was a "lightning never strikes twice" sceniro, I've been going there 25 years and the guys that took me there another 10-15 years, this is a first in all those years. The public doesn't go there, a few surfers do. This is anything but a "game" your words and truly I'm sorry I posted it as am sure all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand stories will come out after the holidays.

Jeff
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeff  
Capt am sure it was a "lightning never strikes twice" sceniro, I've been going there 25 years and the guys that took me there another 10-15 years, this is a first in all those years. The public doesn't go there, a few surfers do. This is anything but a "game" your words and truly I'm sorry I posted it as am sure all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand stories will come out after the holidays.

Jeff

robbers on meth stick to what works. Lightening does strike twice. Why do you want the next guy to die?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:49 PM
sufers bs

Hola,,my home in the states is "surf city usa" done charters on my boats (n to s) big flat,,the ranch,,all over mexico ...oliys point...witch's rock !! so I know the childish secret spot bs.....sounds like the guys from "cuatro Casas" gang ??? I will know in a few days the skinny on this..btw..Baja has been my domain since 77 and I have family grow up there...the noose is getting tight for these thiefs and Its not there 1st time..same M.O. working out of S.Q. Jeff, its very seldom that I say "I hope I never meet you...and so do you.....Keith ford
jeff

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 11:53 PM

I've never spoke-written about a surf beach on the internet and never will. If the next guy is forwarned-prepared he won't die unless they (Methers) get guns then all bets are off. Josie wasn't prepared and in my mind it was a perfect storm AND she had a valueable to them truck (Toyota 4x4) and they knew they could get away in it.

Jeff
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.