Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Decisions, decisions
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
BL,
The cargo trailer idea is what is resonating with me after years of "trailer thinking".

As a fellow moto guy, I spent some time trying to configure how to set up a folding bed so I can carry the bike in the trailer....but the problem of sleeping in the trailer with the bike inside (overnights on the road) confounded me a bit.

Confounded me too and after sitting in the trailer with a tape measure for weeks, I came up with this idea;

I found a full size bed frame with a Coleman foam mattress on Craig's out of a wrecked tent trailer and I rigged a mount on the port wall which supports one side of the bed. I rigged one corner leg and a corner chain I suspend from the roof to the bed frame. The bed is about chest height off the floor which allows me to have a bike and/or my small sofa (which I put casters on to roll easily). I muscle the bed to vertical and store it against the wall in the daytime. I attached a closet pole horizontally from the roof which is my hand hold assist to get on and off the bed. My sofa below the bunk makes for a good step up for the bed. I added a fantastic fan in the roof for air flow and I have 2 sliding windows on the walls with blinds.

When I bought the bed and foam, I also bought a king size foam (both with nylon covers) and had an upholstery shop in Tijuana cut the king in half vertically and sew the covers with zippers so now I have 2 twin mattress I can use on the floor if I need more beds. Usually the twin mattresses are at home.

This works for me and doesn't take any space during the day. The 3 inch foam is not like my thick down bed topper at home but it is better than the ground. :bounce:

From the guy with who stripped the tent trlr, I bought a forced air propane heater and mounted the thermostat by my bed so I can easily the adjust the temp at night. I mounted the propane tank on the tongue.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 09:04 AM

Kgryfon,

"Looked like most of those places were being used by the owners, or are for sale."
Many of those places will rent when the owners are not there or would love to see a little cash flow while they are for sale. Just ask.

"I ran across a website called Workamping - anyone have any experience with that? Folks travel around in their campers and spend a season or so working as a campground manager in exchange for free camping. Or they work at amusement parks, or volunteer at fed/state camp grounds. Stuff like that. Sounds kind of interesting!"
There are a bunch of Workkamping sites, most are in the US. You live for free rent h2o, gas, electric, there is a expectation of you doing some form of work. I know 1 place that needs a person to stay the night so nobody comes on the property. (it's pretty remote).

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

proneman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 09:54 AM

Los Mochis
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 10:13 AM
Camping on the cheap

Bob Durrell
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
K:

....Swankie (that is her real last name, she married a man named Swankie in the hospital on his death bed when they decided together that after marriage and his demise, she would be eligible for some benefits of his. Together decision and very sweet.)...

[Edited on 2-13-2015 by Cisco]

That's what I need.....a nurse with a purse....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 03:11 PM

K:

What helps a lot of "newbies" to this lifestyle is to experiment if they have time, and it sounds like in three years you can sure do it.

You're in the Bay area?

In whatever you are currently driving, (car, M.C. bike) put in a sleeping bag, whatever you think you will need for a couple of days, (the cat. They freak at first but then begin to like it) and drive up 101 to maybe Willits, then cut for the coast and Ft. Bragg.

They are good with people sleeping in the NE corner of the Safeway lot and there is much to see with the river down below. Hiking trail and beautiful seascape.

Then drive north until you run out of Ocean and you will cut back through the big trees to 101 at Leggett (I think) and south to home.

Now what did you wish you had taken?

What are you sorry you brought as you didn't need it?

What kind of vehicle would have worked better? (next time rent one for a couple of days and try it out).

On the north bound hwy 1 before you cut inland there is a sharp right turn, a little bay and a commercial camping spot.

Next to the camping facility is a graveyard, you would have run into it if you had gone straight. It is on the point overlooking the Pacific, a beautiful place and the gravestones are marked early 1800's with so-and-so, Irishman or Englishman. These were folks that came over from the old country and settled here.

Try several short trips with different vehicles and in addition to seeing great beauty and interesting spots you will find many people doing just what you are and you can compare notes.

We can all give our opinions but they are all about us, not you. I have biked, RV'd, MC, boat, walked, car, mini-van and van. For myself and the fact that I require stealth parking in the U.S. towns. I prefer a full size van, not an extended. I disagree with those who say you will get cabin fever. My van is the universe, I can look out or get out and walk or hide in the back and read.

I never want to live in a house again, I would go nut's.

If you don't have time to travel then camp in your yard and live independently. When you need something go in the hose and get it, but nothing else. When you are ready to travel what you need (and no more) is in the vehicle that you decided was best for you, waiting for you and the cat in the yard.

If you get a chance, on Bob Well's site he will give the hook-up locations for the year. Could be Quartzsite, Asheville, that Island in texas I hate, some BLM, National or State forest land that is all mostly free camping for people like us.

There you will meet people who have been out as singles, couples, families,...and get all the good info you need. I no longer go as from 96 to 2007 I decided to tour the eastern seaboard as I had never been there and I decided that since there is no life east of Hwy 5 I'm back to being a Westcoaster.

I mentioned Ft. Bragg as it is a good half-way point between Pt. Reyes and Petrolia. The "Lost Coast" that I so enjoy for the summer. Never a problem hanging anywhere in that area and the people are mellow as long as you stay out of their "gardens". Particularly around Redway. Shelter Cove is pretty developed now but still O.K. and you have Ocean, big trees, no-sweat camping, all is good.

Enjoy.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 03:45 PM

Hey Ged, Old Pal, old Buddy, old friendo, friendo...

I know I can't have that bit'chin van you photoed for me but can you get the plate off it pretty please.

With that license plate I can be even more stealth, I'll paint "Ged's Bred" on my van and I'm good to go at any restaurant parking lot. :biggrin::biggrin:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2015 at 04:09 PM

Cisco,
I'm workin' on it......:cool:

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 08:12 PM

Bajalearner, What king of SUV and camper are you using, if you don't mind my asking? I've been digging through Edmunds and CarMax and having trouble finding an SUV that can reasonably tow anything. Pretty much Explorer, Pathfinder, and GMC Acadia. Everything else tops out at around 3500 or is more than I want to spend, or doesn't come with the rear-view camera, which I think would be highly helpful since I won't have partner to direct me left/right when hooking up. The Pathfinder has had major issues with trannie/radiator cross fluid contamination (2 - not one but 2 - different class action lawsuits). Pathfinder has the largest tow capacity of the three at 6000, then Explorer, then Acadia.

Great links, Cicso. Sounds like you are doing it right!

All great info! I've had pickup/cabovers before and think that would be a bit much for one person to get on/off the truck.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 08:21 PM
Hola "K"

Cisco has some points there !! As a Vagabundo myself,,,would say that's some damn good advice...what are you thinking of towing ??? and weight,remote brakes and what area ?....IMO...its all a trade off in way or another !!!...Never did hear from Ya.......K&T
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 07:47 AM

Think long and hard about any trailer that is over, say, 16 feet, if traveling off-pavement on roads that are remote. And that's where the real fun is.

You can never be sure of there being a turnaround at the end of ANY road. And a trailer can be a real liability in soft earth, be it mud or sand. They can also be limiting on roads with steep dips or hills, i.e., prone to high-siding. Then, there's the PITA of finding parking at times.

I'm a truck camper owner on a 4x4 truck with a diesel engine. I live out of it for 2-3 continuous months each year, with a wife and a 45 lb. dog. These are summer/fall months, so no serious cold conditions. We spend 95% of our time in national forests and BLM land in the West. We disdain RV parks, but use them when it's time for laundry or we are visiting a big city.

I often think that a fairly loaded van conversion makes a lot of sense, IF you can find one with 4x4. Those tend to be REALLY pricey. 4x4 is a must for me, especially you have to deal with wet launch ramps. 4x4 also really extends where you can go. But the undercarriage clearance on some of these 4x4 vans is not great. They can also have overhang limitations behind the rear axle.

To me, what is key to enjoying this type of vehicle (van or camper), continuously, for long periods, is having a good outdoor setup. No one in their right mind wants to spend long periods in these rather small areas. So, we have a simple shade structure that attaches to the side of the camper, an outdoor kitchen (3x6 folding plastic table, Coleman stove, two plastic dish washing basins), two folding reclining chairs, two conventional lawn chairs and a LARGE (10x12) woven polypropylene mat to keep the dirt/sand down. We even carry a collapsible privacy structure for using the outside shower as much as possible. Most all campers and most van conversions have outdoor showers. They are much preferable to the cramped showers within these smaller vehicles.

Much of this outdoor setup is stored on a front hitch carrier (Hitchhaul) and inside the camper. I didnt like the idea of a storage unit on the top as I move through my 60s. I could, however, put another hitch carrier on the back IF I am not towing. Some trips, we tow our Jeep behind and that provide a LOT more storage.

I decided against a camper with a slide out for two primary reasons. One is weight. If you have a slideout, you really should have a dually. I dont want dealing with the extra width or extra tires.

And, two, with a slide, you give up the really great storage area over the dinette. Many camper mfgrs put a childs "bunk" bed up there. This is an excellent place to leave in "bunk bed configuration" and throw plastic organizing bins up there. We use a line of Sterilite bins that have the same footprint and the same lids that accommodate the footprint for stacking. They even have smaller bins that stack sideways into the lids. All of this is kept in place by a cargo netting that comes standard with these child bunks. If you're living in a rig for multiple months, you NEED ample, internal storage for your stuff, unless you embrace a real minimalist lifestyle.

Obviously, the ability to leave the camper behind can be a big plus. Suddenly, I can go anywhere at about 18 mpg. But you must have a flat, SOLID spot to put it on. And two people (one to guide the truck back into place) is a big plus.

The length of a camper is always a point of discussion among camper owners. Mine is a little longer than I would like at 10-11 (10 feet, 11 inches). Campers are generally measured by the length of the floor inside them. Anything over about 9-6 calls for a rather expensive tow hitch and extension unless you are towing something very light (probably < 1500 lbs.). With this beefy extension, you could probably tow up to 10k. Usually, it also requires a minimum of 9-6 to have an enclosed generator. I dont like carrying an external generator because it means storing it, getting it out and carrying a gas can. I like one-button to start a genny.

And anything over about 10-3 means you can have overhang clearance problems with dips and berms in the road.

Probably the biggest disadvantage we find with a camper is that there no REALLY comfortable seating, for long periods, in them. The dinette or the bed is it for reading. And we have augmented the cushions in the dinette with some insulite padding under them. But it is very upright seating. Of course, we read outside in the recliners, when weather permits. Weather permits a lot in the West; not so much east of the Rockies. We really dont go east anymore. So little public lands, so much humidity and heat, so little elevation gain (in terrain) to avoid the heat and humidity.

Maybe you are sensing that RVs, like boats, are a compromise.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 08:31 AM

Nice camper write-up Hook. That pretty much nails it. I too have installed a front hitch and have the Reese extension hitch on the rear. I do like having a portable inverter genny though. But, as you said, usually only the 10' and longer campers have enough room for a built in one. Mine is 9'6".
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 08:47 AM

We did a similar thing. My wife never had an interest in trailer camping. So she suggested that we RENT a small trailer for a month to check it out.

Once we started pricing out a rental we decided to purchase a 2002 23 ft. Skyline Nomad.

We paid $5000 for the trailer with new batteries and new tires. It was very clean on the inside, but the outer skin had some hail damage.

I remodeled the inside with new vinyl plank floors, and new high boy toilet, and changed the wall paper to a vinyl grass cloth with palm tree border. I changed out all handles to a rosewood and black metal door handles.

I added a bar setup that is gimbaled and holds all well liquor and wine

I installed a new xantrex HF1800 Freedom inverter and wired in a gps aligning DirecTV dish.

We took it out last summer for about a month up through Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, and Norther California.

I have to say, she had a great time and we are going out again this summer.

I tow it with my 2011 Ford F150 (Eco Boost) and it did just fine. I averaged about 8.5 to 10 mpg, but I liked being able to secure the trailer at the camping area and driving around. I met several folks who bought RV's that had problems and they were stuck. They had to leave the RV at the service center and stay at a hotel/motel.

Regardless of what you get, I think you will have fun.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:35 AM
With camp trailers it's construction, construction not location, location

My fist camp trailer, purchased in the early '60s, was a ten year old tear drop with a full size mattress inside and a kitchen compartment opening to the outside in the rear. Fist trip out with wife and baby took us over a 9 mile long wash board road and when we reached the camp ground every nail and screw had worked it's way out and both side panels were seperated from the roof. Burned all the wood in the camp fire and towed the bare frame home. :o

Bob Durrell
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  
Bajalearner, What king of SUV and camper are you using, if you don't mind my asking? Pathfinder has the largest tow capacity of the three at 6000, then Explorer, then Acadia.

Kgryfon, you started the thread with the title of "decisions, decisions" and I fully agree that it's all a game of give and take. So to answer your question;

I have a 2005 Toy Sequoia 4wd which lists a 6500lb towing capacity. I make it work for me with my 16ft 2 axle trailer because I am willing to drive it within it's limits. It's a heavy SUV and trailer so I trade the large car and trailer for some reduced off road capability but I get to semi-remote places and bring my studio apartment too.

Bought the car in 05 with the intention of having a versatile 8 seat car with 4wd and towing package, I accept that it may not be the best off road option. I've put 115,000 miles on it and less than a quarter while towing and after 10 years, it feels, runs and sounds new.

So since I already have a paid off SUV that runs well, I make it work towing my trailer by understanding the limitations and maintaining it. Best of luck but I see you're thinking before just jumping in. :light:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:42 PM

This is a great thread....thanks everyone for your comments :saint:

I am taking notes and have spent a few evenings Googling everything from pail-toilet seats to Featherlites and stealth urban dwelling....:cool:

I am still on the 14' V-nose cargo trailer fantasy as it could also accommodate 1 or 2 motorcycles for long trips away from home (over a month)....and every once in a while I am attracted to a used 18-24 foot tandem axle camper trailer....(as they would cost about the same as outfitting a cargo trailer the way I would want it (about $10,000 tops w/ awning, window, basic interior w/out bathroom/kitchen)...

I am several years away from needing anything as my "retirement" planning if focusing on editing 75% of my "stuff"....

Keep the experience and opinions coming folks ...:cool:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
Nice camper write-up Hook. That pretty much nails it. I too have installed a front hitch and have the Reese extension hitch on the rear. I do like having a portable inverter genny though. But, as you said, usually only the 10' and longer campers have enough room for a built in one. Mine is 9'6".

We really dont use our genny much. The occasional cool down of the camper just before bed on a hot, humid evening. That's rare, because we are usually at 4000 feet or higher. If a long period of blistering heat sets in, we don't hang around. We go higher. Easy to do in the West.

And, of course, the occasional microwave oven use requires a genny. We average about 10 hours/year. I really dont have the battery capacity to use an inverter for the micro, though I do have 140 watts of solar panel. It's an older rig and only room for one, group 31 battery.

In terms of off-grid, boonie camping for long periods, for most rigs the limiting factor is how much water you can carry. That is important if you're away from services for 7-10 days. We can "only" hold 45 gallons, internally, though I do carry a couple 6 gal containers. Those are usually empty unless we know we are going to be away from water for a while. We are frugal, but not miserly with water. We shower about every 3-4 days, depending on what our daytime activity is.

I hope some of this rambling is going to be helpful, krygfon.

Our truck now has 260k on it and the camper is 13 years old. Our plan with this is to finalize our search for remote areas that CAN be accessed by decent dirt roads with the idea of eventually going back to a smallish trailer. Probably a toy hauler. You get living space and you can carry 1-2 ATVs. I'll probably be looking at a newer F-150 or the other half ton p/u with four doors and the shorter bed.

I will NEVER like spending lots of time in RV parks. Any rig has to have better than average, offroad capability, to avoid that. And RV parks aren't cheap, anymore.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:14 PM

This is a great thread....thanks everyone for your comments :saint:

I am taking notes and have spent a few evenings Googling everything from pail-toilet seats to Featherlites and stealth urban dwelling....:cool:

I am still on the 14' V-nose cargo trailer fantasy as it could also accommodate 1 or 2 motorcycles for long trips away from home (over a month)....and every once in a while I am attracted to a used 18-24 foot tandem axle camper trailer....(as they would cost about the same as outfitting a cargo trailer the way I would want it (about $10,000 tops w/ awning, window, basic interior w/out bathroom/kitchen)...

I am several years away from needing anything as my "retirement" planning if focusing on editing 75% of my "stuff"....

Keep the experience and opinions coming folks ...:cool:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-T...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/71-Expedition-C...

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:21 PM

Cisco,
Met some folks in Mulege this January (3 rigs...) that seemed to be hooked up through that forum....
Thanks...

We all were staying at La Terraza motel (sp?)....too bad the power went out for the town's planned New Year's Eve fiesta ...

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by motoged]

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:25 PM

Cisco,
Met some folks in Mulege this January (3 rigs...) that seemed to be hooked up through that forum....
Thanks...

We all were staying at La Terraza motel (sp?)....too bad the power went out for the town's planned New Year's Eve fiesta ...

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by motoged]

Click on the top link Ged.

Everything you ever need to know about trailers.

The bottom link is the entire forum index.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.