Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:29 PM

March was almost a year ago, and there was no government draught water restrictions and that was my post, fact not myth.

The Colorado has many times stopped flowing to the gulf before and man NOTHING to do with it... Nature has and will continue to be more powerful than people.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:13 AM

Yep when things get nasty with mother nature .. they really get nasty .. wouldn't disagree with that one :biggrin::biggrin:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 12:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The Colorado has many times stopped flowing to the gulf before and man NOTHING to do with it... Nature has and will continue to be more powerful than people.

I do believe you are incorrect again.....humans have certainly affected its flow:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/colorado-river-drought-impact-tracked-space

Droughts have certainly predated this one....but increasing population and poor water management planning are factors at play with the river's levels:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/dyk/colorado-basin-drought

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 02:12 AM

The Colorado has many times stopped flowing to the gulf before and man NOTHING to do with it...

Just another two or three and there's the necklace; pearls of wisdom just keep on a-rollin'. Care to document that, oh scholar?

Before the Damn Dams the once-mighty Colorado would run easily over one hundred thousand cubic feet per second in flood-range, and the first Spanish sailors SAILED to almost current Las Vegas. ..... but that was before Reagan and your childhood.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 06:47 AM

David's right---the Colorado has changed course from draining into the gulf many times in its history and instead filling up the Salton Sink (Lake Cahuilla). But we had this discussion in another thread a couple months ago.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 08:34 AM

Here's data for all the Colorado River drainage I've got a headache from trying to read it all

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

There are pages for all the lakes along the drainage
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
David's right---the Colorado has changed course from draining into the gulf many times in its history and instead filling up the Salton Sink (Lake Cahuilla). But we had this discussion in another thread a couple months ago.

Thank you... while a few here may not like that I have some knowledge of the past, it doesn't make it untrue if it comes from my keyboard. I don't make up history, but if I make a mistake in how I report it, I am happy to have the correct answer provided... To me truth is what counts, not political or environmental New Age nonsense used to gain power over people by a vocal minority.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Thank you... while a few here may not like that I have some knowledge of the past, it doesn't make it untrue if it comes from my keyboard. I don't make up history, but if I make a mistake in how I report it, I am happy to have the correct answer provided... To me truth is what counts, not political or environmental New Age nonsense used to gain power over people by a vocal minority.
Do you really think that all the climate scientists at NASA, NOAA, and the world's top universities (and who get paid the same no matter what their data shows) have a "New Age" political agenda? What do they have to gain compared to the oil, coal, and gas industries who are spending billions to obfuscate the science? Almost all the prominent "skeptics", who are for the most part not even climate scientists, and in some cases like, Lord Moncton, not scientists at all, are on the payroll of these guys (and have been paid very well). It seems pretty obvious who really has the agenda, and has the most to gain by creating doubt.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:54 AM

Yes, and it is called 'funding'... if there is no "sky is falling" paranoia, then gullible liberals won't send in money (or take working people's money) to keep government scientists working or pretending they are more powerful than Nature.

So do you believe that we should just immediately declare that the climate is going to do what it's going to do, our activities have zero effect on it, and cease funding the study of climate related science? It seems to me like it would be a valid and important field of study whether humans are complicit or not.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by monoloco]

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 09:57 AM

Why are there over 600 scientists standing by a letter they signed saying essentially it nothing but hooey?
Why has even the guy responsible for the original data collection saying HIS data collection is sloppy?
If I remember correctly, Tucson AZ was sited as an historical data collection site BUT the "concrete island effect" due to population explosion was not factored in on the final report for temp rise over the study period.
As has been postulated It all comes down to funding! The sky is falling!
We're looking at a few hundred years in what 4 or 5 billion?
Climatologists can't predict next weeks weather and now we are predicting the end of the earth?
Just heard this week that it has been the coldest winter back east on record. To add, there has been no significant warming trend for over 18 years from what I read.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Why are there over 600 scientists standing by a letter they signed saying essentially it nothing but hooey?
Why has even the guy responsible for the original data collection saying HIS data collection is sloppy?
If I remember correctly, Tucson AZ was sited as an historical data collection site BUT the "concrete island effect" due to population explosion was not factored in on the final report for temp rise over the study period.
As has been postulated It all comes down to funding! The sky is falling!
We're looking at a few hundred years in what 4 or 5 billion?
Climatologists can't predict next weeks weather and now we are predicting the end of the earth?
Just heard this week that it has been the coldest winter back east on record. To add, there has been no significant warming trend for over 18 years from what I read.
If you look at the qualifications of those 600 "scientists" almost none of them are climate scientists and many of them are not what we'd consider scientist at all, but just have bachelor of science degrees.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Yep when things get nasty with mother nature .. they really get nasty .. wouldn't disagree with that one :biggrin::biggrin:

..and so it did cometh to pass that it raineth for 40 days and 40 nights.

(Gen 7:12 KJV)

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Yes, and it is called 'funding'... if there is no "sky is falling" paranoia, then gullible liberals won't send in money (or take working people's money) to keep government scientists working or pretending they are more powerful than Nature.

So do you believe that we should just immediately declare that the climate is going to do what it's going to do, our activities have zero effect on it, and cease funding the study of climate related science? It seems to me like it would be a valid and important field of study whether humans are complicit or not.

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by monoloco]

I think we should do the best we can to live well and help others by being our best. Clean energy is an awesome idea and when it is practical and affordable I am all for it. Punishing Americans with blame, taxes, and loss of freedom is not beneficial... specially when China and other nations are not in the least concerned with pollution and are powering up without restriction. If it's good enough for us, it should be good enough for them.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 10:24 AM

Don't think anyone is suggesting that there hasn't been variation in climate on this planet over billions of years ...

Rather we are just talking about what is being observed and measured by science, at this time ... or at least that is what I'm talking about

As for the "river" ... all depends on who ya talk to ..

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/gcd.html

These folks are suggesting much different numbers for the Lakes and the Colorado River in the future ... We will see at the end of 2015 how much run off there was ... pretty hard to quantify future amounts of moisture from the "Water Cycle" on the Planet ... It is still a very big place with million and million of variables which are all interrelated :):)

Given the light weather tracks we have been seeing in CA this year ... Due to a High Pressure Ridge ... it isn't looking good

And is the reason a Law was passed to restrict groundwater overdraft by limiting "pumping" from same

That is something which is hard to imagine, for anyone that has had a "water well" on their own private property IMHO
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 10:52 AM

while a few here may not like that I have some knowledge of the past, it doesn't make it untrue if it comes from my keyboard. To me truth is what counts, not political or environmental New Age nonsense used to gain power over people by a vocal minority.

dk,
i find that about half of your posts are political nonsense that present your partisan fantasies as "truth." about 40% of your posts are posts about your baja trips, and are usually repeats from your previous posts. the remaining 10% are toyota tacoma advertisements. :lol::lol:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:09 AM

One thing that I hope we can all agree on is man is changing the environment of the desert Southwest including Northwest Mexico and cannot remain sustainable with its current water demands.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:11 AM

Biggest use of petroleum here in the States is for "transportation"

And will be the most difficult to deal with, as we have become dependent on using: Ships, Airplanes, Trains, Trucks, and Cars for same, since Henry Ford ... and I'm not forgetting about equipment and oil used to produce food and fiber

Progress has its positives and negatives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_impact_on_the_environment

Perhaps Apple can come out with the iCar et al ... :):)

I'm still betting on this and these guys for the real break through

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics/supersymmetry

Not the stock market

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by wessongroup]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:15 AM

The SW water needs could be met by building a few more aqueducts. I like the idea of taking Columbia river water. What a grand infrastructure project! Let's tax and spend and golf in the desert! Employment and golf for all!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:17 AM
on this note..

Anyone here watch the doc called "Chasing Ice"...that will sorta end the BS !! K&T:light:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Don't think anyone is suggesting that there hasn't been variation in climate on this planet over billions of years ...

Rather we are just talking about what is being observed and measured by science, at this time ... or at least that is what I'm talking about

As for the "river" ... all depends on who ya talk to ..

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/gcd.html

These folks are suggesting much different numbers for the Lakes and the Colorado River in the future ... We will see at the end of 2015 how much run off there was ... pretty hard to quantify future amounts of moisture from the "Water Cycle" on the Planet ... It is still a very big place with million and million of variables which are all interrelated :):)

Given the light weather tracks we have been seeing in CA this year ... Due to a High Pressure Ridge ... it isn't looking good

And is the reason a Law was passed to restrict groundwater overdraft by limiting "pumping" from same

That is something which is hard to imagine, for anyone that has had a "water well" on their own private property IMHO

Wiley---------I can't get that USBR link to work, nor can I get any of the USBR links to work----------what gives??? (looks like a Govt. conspiracy to me) (-:

Barry
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.