Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Generator question
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2015 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacside  
Can someone please explain to me why one of these Honda portable generators (7000is or 3000is) or the standby Kohler 20kw generator wouldn't suffice to power my air conditioner during summer months.

Who told you it wouldn't? 3KW genny will run a window-size or RV-size AC easily. 7kW genny will run 3 of them, if you start one and then another, not all 3 at once.
Quote: Originally posted by pacside  

Current setup:
1035 kw solar panels
16 Trojan L16E 6v Batteries
Outback 3000 Inverter
No generator

I will increase panels as batteries can handle more but it still won't be enough for air conditioner and other peak usage times (i.e. guests).

I don't understand about batteries that "can handle more". In terms of maximum charging current that battery can take, considering "recommended" 1/3C charging current, your 3,000 AH bank of L16 can take about 100A total. This is roughly 1,500-1,800W solar. You can try and pump more than 100A into these batts, but this would be raping them.

Rule of thumb is 1W of solar per 1 AH @12V bank, so your solar is indeed undersized for your battery bank - or your bank is way too big. Probably - both, i.e. too many batts and too little solar.

In terms of AC needs, you need to increase panels at least 2 times, to be able to run a small AC directly from solar. In the night, however, you will have to run AC from batteries, and your 3,000 AH bank is barely enough to run small AC for 9-10 hours.

The bottom line is - if you need AC, run a grid power to your house or get a generator. And, if you get a generator, plan for some enclosure because as others noted, manufacturers lie and there is no such thing as "quiet generator". Even the quietest 2KW-3KW Honda you will hear from 100 meters away if somebody will place it out in the open. The owner might not hear it 'cause his windows are on the other side (this is why they put it where they put it), but you will, if you windows are towards it. And vice versa - you won't hear your genny but your neighbors will. And, if you get a diesel, plan not only for enclosure, but for distance from your house and your neigbor's and for wind, because, as others noted, diesel fumes stink.

Inverter-chargers like yours, btw, have very high idle draw. Together with high self-discharge current (caused by keeping too many batteries), it sucks the charge out of the bank faster than solar can put it in there on a cloudy day.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by Alm]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
One of the big advantages of propane generators is that the fuel is stable. For generators that don't run often propane is not a bad choice over gas or diesel. Both gas and diesel fuel will go bad over time where as propane can sit there indefinitely without going bad. If you're going to use the generator often, the fuel problem is not usually an issue and then diesel would be the best choice.
Diesel fuel is much more stabile than gasoline, it can get algae growth but unless it sits for a very long time and gets condensation in the fuel, it's unlikely. My diesel generator was in storage for 6 years and fired right up on the fuel that was in the tank. I also have an Onan propane generator and have had nothing but problems with the fuel system on it, not to mention the fact that it costs over twice as much to run than the diesel, even though it is only 3.6kw vs. 6kw for the diesel. If you decide to use a propane generator, be prepared for some very high fuel costs.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 01:15 PM

I have a little portable 5500 watt generator

the reality with portables is you're limited to the plug on wht you can do...load wise

each double receptacle can only handle 15amps or 1650w...then it blows

the BIG plug is 20amps or 2200w then that blows

overloading a generator is common here in Baja...we expect them to work as advertised...they don't

you should never run more than 60% of the total volume of power thru the generator or it will fail early

also if you over load a generator the voltage drops the amps rise and you burn electrical motors and circuit boards

remember the 2 types of generators...the 3600rpm units and the 1800rpm units...the second uses a lot less fuel for the same power

gene.jpg - 44kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2015 at 05:18 PM

Long-term fuel storage isn't much of an issue, considering their regular (=annual) and very sporadic use of 5% of total time. They only need the genny for AC. All other loads are taken care of by solar - it does need some tune-up, I would increase the panels up to 1,500-2,000 and get rid of one pair of L16, donate or sell to somebody. But solar is a separate topic.

If (IF) their AC is OK with 3KW genny, this is 6-8 gallons a day even if you run it full power and non-stop. So every other day they will make a trip to the gas station and fill a few 5-gal cans, no big deal. And, if one or two cans are left by the end of their stay, they will put it in the tank of their car or take it with them when going North. They need to decide on the AC size before considering a genny type and size.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 06:20 AM

the only problem is this use of a portable generator
is ONLY a temporary fix

and gas really smells...I have to use paint thinner to "cut" the smell...seems like nothing else takes the smell away
I can NEVER pour it in without spilling...(old man)

I agree those 3000w Hondas are great...so quiet...
but after one summer in Baja it'll be worn out

our website is:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
the only problem is this use of a portable generator
is ONLY a temporary fix

and gas really smells...I have to use paint thinner to "cut" the smell...seems like nothing else takes the smell away
I can NEVER pour it in without spilling...(old man)

I agree those 3000w Hondas are great...so quiet...
but after one summer in Baja it'll be worn out
Yep, one diesel generator will outlast 6+ Hondas.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 10:24 AM

Honda 3000 is not quiet if used without enclosure. On a quiet evening you can hear it 300ft away. It's "quiet" compared to diesel though.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 10:41 AM
BS

I gotta call BS on a Honda 3000 EU lasting one summer in Baja. I have been running one for 8 years and it is still running strong. I also have a Honda 7000i and a Yamaha 6500 diesel which have ee running great for 12 years. Lets keep it real here.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRob  
I gotta call BS on a Honda 3000 EU lasting one summer in Baja. I have been running one for 8 years and it is still running strong. I also have a Honda 7000i and a Yamaha 6500 diesel which have ee running great for 12 years. Lets keep it real here.
It just depends on how much you run it. A Honda 3000 is good for about 1500-2000 hours, a good diesel generator can run 30-40,000 hours.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
It just depends on how much you run it

... and the OP will run it 5% of time only. They have 1,000W solar and don't live there all the time. A small portable should last them several years.

Yes, gas stinks - when you spill it. Diesel fuel stinks when you burn it. They all stink.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2015 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
It just depends on how much you run it

... and the OP will run it 5% of time only. They have 1,000W solar and don't live there all the time. A small portable should last them several years.

Yes, gas stinks - when you spill it. Diesel fuel stinks when you burn it. They all stink.
5%=438 hours a year. Expect about 3 years of use.

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 04:19 AM

Buy a few more panels, and a Honda or Yamaha generator. A 3K will work, a bigger one would be better. I run a 110v air conditioner with a Yamaha 2K generator on it's economy setting. So, unless you're running several AC's units, a 3K Generator should keep you cool and top off the batteries.

The diesel's are better overall, especially if you're looking for the best, long term fix. You pay for it though. Personally, I went with two 2K Yamaha generators that I can tie together when I need it. If one happens to fail (which hasn't happened in 2.5 years), I still have 2K worth of power with the second generator. I use these at an off grid hunting cabin in Ohio.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 09:29 AM

Remember to keep the fuel away from the genset. Just a safety thought. I use 3 - 15 gal containers on a roll around cart and siphon into the generator. I roll the cart to a safe location. Pretty easy and usually no mess and fewer trips to town. The spark arrestor on the Honda needs to be cleaned seasonally. If it's plugged up the generator will run lousy. When I change oil for the summer season I put in a 40 weight oil. Don't know if that is good or bad but it's still running.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
Buy a few more panels, and a Honda or Yamaha generator. A 3K will work, a bigger one would be better. I run a 110v air conditioner with a Yamaha 2K generator on it's economy setting. So, unless you're running several AC's units, a 3K Generator should keep you cool and top off the batteries.

The diesel's are better overall, especially if you're looking for the best, long term fix. You pay for it though. Personally, I went with two 2K Yamaha generators that I can tie together when I need it. If one happens to fail (which hasn't happened in 2.5 years), I still have 2K worth of power with the second generator. I use these at an off grid hunting cabin in Ohio.
A Honda EU3000 costs $2500 and will last about 1500 hours, a good 6kw diesel generator will cost about $8000 but will last 25,000+ hours. You would spend over $40,000 buying Hondas to get 25,000 hours of service.

Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 01:31 PM

I have a solar house in San Felipe.. Added on this year with the addition of two split unit acs... I run a Honda 6500 eu... It will put out 220. Plus I have it set up with a remote start
Would I use it to live year round no. But if I am here and it gets hot it works. Pretty simple. But might not work for you.. I agree solar just does not work if cloudy... Lots of options and opinions
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 02:01 PM

I am in the process installing a 11 KW Generac stand by generator with a 200 amp smart switch.
Total cost will be around $5K,
$3000 for the unit including battery
$800 import and shipping from San Diego
$485 for 500 liter propane tank
Rest for installation and materials.
Maybe little steep, but great for peace of mind at 79.
Getting too old lugging generators around.:(

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
I am in the process installing a 11 KW Generac stand by generator with a 200 amp smart switch.

Are you on CFE power there? Is it that unreliable? We have outages in La Bocana all the time, but I would have thought it was better where you are.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

maybe later you could tell what it really costs to run the propane...like per hour under load...
and if you have problems with the truck arriving to deliver the propane
try to keep the propane tank dry...the steel really rots down here...I already got rid of one your size because it rotted in 5 years and it was new

our website is:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 05:01 PM

We're on the grid here in Nopolo. Reliable most of the time. No problem getting propane.
Installed the unit mainly to keep appliances going during storms, which is usually the time power goes off.
We have 31/2 fridges and an upright freezer and hate to loose the stuff in there. Also cistern pump and of course our splits. Can at least keep one running during an outage.
Like I stated, more for peace of mind than anything.
With any luck don't need it in next few years.

Bob, also have a 500 ltr propane tank for stoves and water heaters. It is over 20 years old and still looks like new. So does my neighbors btw.

[Edited on 3-26-2015 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Long-term fuel storage isn't much of an issue, considering their regular (=annual) and very sporadic use of 5% of total time. They only need the genny for AC. All other loads are taken care of by solar - it does need some tune-up, I would increase the panels up to 1,500-2,000 and get rid of one pair of L16, donate or sell to somebody. But solar is a separate topic.

If (IF) their AC is OK with 3KW genny, this is 6-8 gallons a day even if you run it full power and non-stop. So every other day they will make a trip to the gas station and fill a few 5-gal cans, no big deal. And, if one or two cans are left by the end of their stay, they will put it in the tank of their car or take it with them when going North. They need to decide on the AC size before considering a genny type and size.

My current setup:

8 x 135w panels for total of 1080w

Qty 16 Trojan L16E-AC batteries, 6 volt on a 48v system, 20 Hr Ah: 370

Xantrex 3000 Outback inverter

GENERATOR

Narrowed down the choice to either a Honda EU2000i (in parallel), EU3000i, or EU7000i or a continuous running, liquid cooled, 1800 rpm diesel generator.

What generator size and type is best to run following air conditioning unit(s) for 5-6 weeks in the summer and occasionally in winter as back up.

1 split AC 18000btu (good)
2 split AC 12000btu (better)
All 3 units (best

I like Honda eu series because they are quiet, affordable and could possibly tied me over until I hook up to the grid, but what size?

I like diesel because they can run for long periods (ex 24/7 if needed for a few weeks) and no worry about running it too long or with heavy load but a negative is they are expensive and running with light loads can damage them. Plus I may be grid tied soon so long term isn't as important.

I can get 2 Honda EU2000i's (in parallel) for $2000 ($999/ea) or a Honda EU7000i for $3999 (free shipping/no tax) but would have to ship or drive it down. Which is best for my application?

Can anyone recommend the least expensive continous running, liquid cooled, 1800 rpm diesel generator?

SOLAR PANELS
Panels will be increased to 2000w or 2300kw from 1.08kw. What is more economical; adding 9 x 135w = 1215w (1215+1080=2300w) or replacing existing panels with all new higher watt panels?

Alm can you explan why you suggest going up to 2000w and getting rid of a pair of the L16 batteries? Wouldn't it make sense to increase panels to what my existing batteries can handle instead of getting rid of a pair? I need all the solar I can get.

edit: the AC units are 220v whereas the honda eu2000i gen is 110v. Possible to pair to get 220v?

Thans everyone for your replies.

pacside

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by pacside]
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.