Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: BCS against mining
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
One time money did not win out. The citizens fought the Mitsubishi salt industry and won when Mitsubishi wanted the worlds largest salt works between San Ignacio and Punta Abreojos. It can happen.

glad you brought it up
it's a shameful example of how little you can trust green activists

the same company that runs the Guerrero Negro salt works wanted to expand operations to the area you mentioned
the citizens were looking forward to new jobs
they had no intention to fight this
but the whale kissers started a campaign to derail that project
lies and misinformation were just the right tools
the dirty, polluting, nature harming big mining operation needed to be stopped
the poor whales needed to be protected

but all the company wanted to do was evaporate water
no harm to mother nature or the whales

but by carefully selecting the word "salt mine", scaring deep holes in the ground were implied. Spilled oil and toxins included. Gigantic machines muddying the water for the whale babies. An environmental disaster.
of course none of the tree huggers informed themselves or visited the site - they just believed their (religious) leaders

thousands and thousands of activists worldwide, including Hollywood celebs, sent angry mails to Mitsubishi, one of the partners involved
organized fern fondlers worldwide wowed to never buy Mitsubishi products again

now, how can you get the facts out to an angry crowd?
have you ever tried to argue with someone who is very emotional?
someone who doesn't want to be confused by facts?
right - it doesn't work

so, like most traditional Japanese companies, saving face was more important than arguing over evaporating water - they pulled the plug
big victory for the ignorant crowd
no jobs for people who really needed them

please understand me right - I am the #1 fern fondler and tree hugger (not a member of any "save us!" organization)
and I am very religious (not a member of any "save us!" church though)
because I despise lying, manipulating organizations

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:07 PM

re mitsubishi and japan,...

this a country that continues whaling and does so under a charade of science.
and have you ever seen the movie "The Cove"?

anywho, it's all apples and oranges, but makes for lively discussion, eh?

some of my favorite places are protected wildernesses, protected open lands. i can't think of any former mines that i would want to visit on vacation.
the world is a better place when we preserve the natural environment.
life will continue on if we have one less mine, one less dam, one fewer road, one less housing development.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:09 PM

Connect the "dots" ... others have ... :):) and that would be a LOT of people with the responsibility of providing an environment which can support an ever increasing population of humans ... with little control over same

That one could conclude that the Pope and many others are being "fooled" by science is not a valid statement ... IMHO

Military conflits since the end of WWII might be a candidate ... but, NOT science ...

Science was a reason they® banned above ground testing of nuclear weapons in the 50s ...

Even non-scientists understood the "impact" of ever increasing amounts of radiation being introduced by MAN would have on "living" organisms ...

Hopefully, this can happen again ... as it relates to other "substances" which are introduced into a closed environmental system at higher and higher levels, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day ...

After all It's called "Spaceship Earth" for a good reason ..

Maybe they will get Mars nailed down as place to go ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-28-2015 by wessongroup]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:24 PM

Poor Harald....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:34 PM

For some ... :biggrin::biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:41 PM

One of my favorite fun movies... with the "what is Posi-Traction?" part.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
One time money did not win out. The citizens fought the Mitsubishi salt industry and won when Mitsubishi wanted the worlds largest salt works between San Ignacio and Punta Abreojos. It can happen.

glad you brought it up
it's a shameful example of how little you can trust green activists

the same company that runs the Guerrero Negro salt works wanted to expand operations to the area you mentioned
the citizens were looking forward to new jobs
they had no intention to fight this
but the whale kissers started a campaign to derail that project
lies and misinformation were just the right tools
the dirty, polluting, nature harming big mining operation needed to be stopped
the poor whales needed to be protected

but all the company wanted to do was evaporate water
no harm to mother nature or the whales

but by carefully selecting the word "salt mine", scaring deep holes in the ground were implied. Spilled oil and toxins included. Gigantic machines muddying the water for the whale babies. An environmental disaster.
of course none of the tree huggers informed themselves or visited the site - they just believed their (religious) leaders

thousands and thousands of activists worldwide, including Hollywood celebs, sent angry mails to Mitsubishi, one of the partners involved
organized fern fondlers worldwide wowed to never buy Mitsubishi products again

now, how can you get the facts out to an angry crowd?
have you ever tried to argue with someone who is very emotional?
someone who doesn't want to be confused by facts?
right - it doesn't work

so, like most traditional Japanese companies, saving face was more important than arguing over evaporating water - they pulled the plug
big victory for the ignorant crowd
no jobs for people who really needed them

please understand me right - I am the #1 fern fondler and tree hugger (not a member of any "save us!" organization)
and I am very religious (not a member of any "save us!" church though)
because I despise lying, manipulating organizations

You just lost all credibility. I live in Punta Abreojos. The town that is closest to where the salt works would have been. I was there when then salt works was proposed. The jetty/Marina would ave been in front of my house. One of the leaders of the fight to keep them out was the COOP. The President of Mexico finally disapproved the project at the instance of local residents. There was very little "green" organization..what little there was, was world wide. Citizens looking forward to new obs? Give me a break..you know nothing of this town. The majority make better than 50-60K US dollars a year...some close to 100K. They do not want new jobs. They work hard to protect the jobs they have. The workers would have to have been brought in... Go to Guerrero Negro take a look at the housing there. Laborers who live in low income housing. The white collar workers live in Company owned houses that are nice. Guess who are in the majority. Before you pop-off about certain subjects. get your facts straight.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Wow Harald, are you my long lost brother?

I think I have the same feelings for nature and the outdoors as you, but cannot stomach the bs fed to the emotional masses who reject facts or their own eyes when the sea level is pointed out being unchanged over the past 50 years.

There could be ONE item that was anti-whale on the San Ignacio salt flat project, and that was a 5 mile long pier proposed to load the salt directly onto deep sea freighters. The greenies felt the whales were not capable of swimming around the new pier if it was in their way.

As you know salt from Guerrero Negro is barged out to Cedros Island and then transferred there onto deep sea ships. The funny part is the salt evaporation and barge port is in Scammon's Lagoon (Ojo de Liebre), and the whales don't mind one bit and continue to grow! Barging is halted during whale season, but not the evaporating of sea water to make new salt.

Just the facts David. Your another one that's guessing. read closely at the reason it was disapproved.

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/apr/23/news/mn-22581

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 05:03 PM

Sorry for the Hijack.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 05:40 PM

So the 5 mile long pier wasn't a problem after all Ralph?

The one in front of my house that was not built? No one knows...It was never built. It was not the reason given by the Mexican Government and ESSO. Read the material I put up and you will see what the studies that were accomplished said.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 05:56 PM

It's funny (to me) to read these that people can be fooled into thinking that man has the ability to change what Nature is going to do... or to even know what Nature will do, in the future.

It's reassuring (to me) to know that people can be convinced that we have the ability to change what we are doing to Nature, now and in the future.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:09 PM

The one in front of my house that was not built? No one knows...It was never built. It was not the reason given by the Mexican Government and ESSO. Read the material I put up and you will see what the studies that were accomplished said.

I am saying that the 5 mile pier was a big deal from what I read back when this thing was alive... the green peace group said it would interfere with whale migration. Harald didn't mention that, and I thought it was a big deal breaker. I get the local co-op membership was rich enough and didn't care to add new jobs for their fellow citizens.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
It's funny (to me) to read these that people can be fooled into thinking that man has the ability to change what Nature is going to do... or to even know what Nature will do, in the future.

It's reassuring (to me) to know that people can be convinced that we have the ability to change what we are doing to Nature, now and in the future.

Exactly! Man can change what man does, but man cannot change what Nature does... oh he can dirty her up a bit, but Mother Nature always wins in the end!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:16 PM

I am saying that the 5 mile pier was a big deal from what I read back when this thing was alive... the green peace group said it would interfere with whale migration. Harald didn't mention that, and I thought it was a big deal breaker. I get the local co-op membership was rich enough and didn't care to add new jobs for their fellow citizens.

You don't get it... What fellow citizens were there to take one of the 200 jobs being created. Before you pop-off, know what you are talking about. Dumbsheet.. 99% of the towns 900 population supports the coop.

Yes some said the 5 mile pier, along with pumps, brine discharge and other things, would disrupt the whales. he locals were more concerned about the effect the pier would have on abalone and lobster. The possible pier locations all went over prime reef areas.

Read the material I put up, and it will explain it all to you. Facts remember?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:20 PM

We can reverse climate change about as easy as we can stop a volcano from erupting or halt an earthquake from shaking.

Someday maybe man might be mightier, and stop volcanoes, like on Star Trek, but no amount of sapping money from people by government will reverse the change (and we are not factually certain if it is warming or cooling, as man has not enough data, we are here for short a time, geologically speaking).

Climate is a condition we adjust to, not change. Solar activity, the earth's orbit location and axis, volcanic eruptions, plate tectonics all play a part in the change of climate.

Read Chicken Little for a comparison to the medicine shows put on by global alarmists.

love your clear mind, David!

Harald Pietschmann
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:37 PM

You just lost all credibility. I live in Punta Abreojos. The town that is closest to where the salt works would have been. I was there when then salt works was proposed. The jetty/Marina would ave been in front of my house. One of the leaders of the fight to keep them out was the COOP. The President of Mexico finally disapproved the project at the instance of local residents. There was very little "green" organization..what little there was, was world wide. Citizens looking forward to new obs? Give me a break..you know nothing of this town. The majority make better than 50-60K US dollars a year...some close to 100K. They do not want new jobs. They work hard to protect the jobs they have. The workers would have to have been brought in... Go to Guerrero Negro take a look at the housing there. Laborers who live in low income housing. The white collar workers live in Company owned houses that are nice. Guess who are in the majority. Before you pop-off about certain subjects. get your facts straight.
Yeah, he also stepped on his pito when he claimed that it is the " Canadian/American yoga/organic crowd" who are leading the opposition to the mine in the Sierra La Laguna. Nothing can be further from the truth, although most of the foreign residents oppose the mine, the opposition to it was organized by a MEXICAN group, run by authentic MEXICANS, that has the wide spread support of the local MEXICANS who largely depend on water from the Sierra La Laguna for their livelihoods, and are not content to let a foreign corporation come in and risk contaminating it for the promise of a few jobs. Most everyone who does even the most basic research will find that the track record of mining companies in protecting the environment and cleaning up their messes, is beyond dismal. Canadian companies in particular have a very poor record of environmental safety, just look up some of the Canadian mining operations in Mexico, Chile, and Peru, it is a litany of environmental abuse and there is absolutely ZERO reason to believe that they will be anymore careful in BCS.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 06:37 PM

Again, we don't communicate because you like to name call. That's okay Ralph, it is what you do. I am not interested in debating a project that long ago was terminated. Spilled milk as they say...

I simply brought up the pier to let Harald know there was a possible whale harming issue (you know all the facts, etc.). It was a big reason of protest back then in the green peace stuff, all coast stuff, etc. I was just surprised you didn't know it was an issue... maybe not as big as other issues, after all?

Glad you are not interested because your lame shot at the coop was.. well lame.
There were a lot of issues.. Again check it out before mouthing off.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 07:02 PM

"Solar activity, the earth's orbit location and axis, volcanic eruptions, plate tectonics all play a part in the change of climate."

Ya forgot "humans" .... they too are part of the "environment" as are the other factors which were noted above ...

The environment is ... taken as a whole, everything :):)

It is all related ... and things change, it's the nature of evolution

Just that somethings have more immediate and far reaching impact than other factors .... like say an Impact Event :biggrin::biggrin:

And yes that is one funny movie and the part where she testifies about "cars" is outstanding

Just cut that clip out of the movie ... think I will watch it ... need a yuck or two ... :):)

[Edited on 4-29-2015 by wessongroup]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 08:21 PM

why is it that we can't "talk" about things - I might be completely wrong with what I know. But throwing eggs at me won't really help a dialog.

Harald Pietschmann
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
why is it that we can't "talk" about things - I might be completely wrong with what I know. But throwing eggs at me won't really help a dialog.

Because Harald, you did not just talk. You emoted in a way that was sure to bring about a reaction. Look at our choice of words, taking about throwing eggs. While none of those eggs landed on me (I am not a strict whale kisser or fern fondler), your "facts" were way off base. Had your oration been less emotional...a toned down response might have ensued.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.