Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Rain Coming?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 09:08 AM

^^^that's funny!^^^

Bob, what are those women doing? I got distracted.....

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
^^^that's funny!^^^

Bob, what are those women doing? I got distracted.....

Pointing is what they do best with whatever they use.

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 09:17 AM

We are in the rain shadow of the Eastern Sierra so for these last two storms, we have not had much rain --- we will take whatever we can get. It clouds up a lot, the wind comes, and off go the clouds to the Whites where it dumped some snow.

The first of the storms covered the higher areas with a few inches that melted away quite quickly. There was some snow as low as 6000 feet, but that disappeared in a hurry. One day Mammoth was dumped on with the pictures the next day beautiful, and by the next day we had to drive up to the high lakes to find any and it was melting away.

This time it snowed enough to close the three passes and we will see how fast it melts.

All of this may continue, but it is only putting a tiny dent in the drought problem and lack of snow pack. But on the positive side, if it continues, especially into the fall and winter, that will be a good thing. And since I am not an expert nor a scientist, I took this information from some experts.
Weather Station

While snow is unusual for May up here, it does happen as do freezes. The local advice is to not plant a garden until after Mule Days ---- and the mules are beginning to arrive.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 09:40 AM

It's snowing as I type here in Baja, NM above Hillsboro and Silver City in the Gilas, snow level about 7,000 ft.. The wind hasn't let up for almost two months now, and no end in sight. Woof.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 10:48 AM

I just picked up the boat motor from the Outboard King Fernando and it is currently raining in Klantee (Santee), CA

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 10:50 AM

.... Klantee ........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
.... Klantee ........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aka Santucky

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
The loony left is so easy to get cranked up. A glance to the right will do it every time. Funny!!

Now, for a on topic wrap-up:

Weather patterns indicate we could have a seriously extra-wet Fall and Winter (as in El Niņo style.

Did you figure that all on your own? I'm guessing one of those conspiracy scientists might have influenced your prediction. Are you suggesting man made climate change is happening as well? You know they did predict our weather would become more volatile. Probably just a coincidence.

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 07:21 PM

I would never disparage your religion. Believe as you will.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 07:13 AM

Oh, update... Wednesday morning, San Diego... IT'S RAINING AGAIN!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 09:26 AM

you'll be out of business soon, David. What are you gonna do next? Rain gutters?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 09:55 AM

I also install drain lines! They connect to the rain gutter down spouts and join with the line taking the back yard and planters' excess water, out to the street.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you'll be out of business soon, David.

True that.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mwd-rebate-20150...

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 02:15 PM

Let's hope these late season rains are a precursor to a strong El Nino and drought busting year...its working in Texas quite well already and CA and Texas have both been in drought at about the same time.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 06:44 PM

Had a few drops fall here on the Central coast about two weeks ago. Does that count? Guess we will keep our fingers crossed and keep watching to the south.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I also install drain lines! They connect to the rain gutter down spouts and join with the line taking the back yard and planters' excess water, out to the street.
Maybe it's a good time to get into the rainwater collection system business and save that water that flows to the street.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 07:02 PM

wondering how storm #1 of the EPAC season will affect the central coast next week? i'll report back....

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 07:55 AM

wondering how storm #1 of the EPAC season will affect the central coast next week? i'll report back....

Three systems right now, in May! Typical, the weather blog is paying little attention to the Pacific, just to how dismal the Atlantic hurricane season is looking to be:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 08:42 AM

I don't install only lawn sprinklers.

The ones I do install are the water saving MP Rotators that the water districts have been giving rebates to those who convert sprays to rotators. I installed over 50 yesterday on a home in San Diego... on slopes and planters.

The customer had sprays, nearly all were 15 ft. nozzles, that flow nearly 2 gallons per minute. I replaced half with MP-2000 nozzles (flow just 0.8 gallon per minute and project the water up to 20 ft.). The other half only needed MP-1000 nozzles (flow just 0.4 gallon per minute up to 14 ft.).

*We eliminated dry spots with better coverage.
*We eliminated run off down the street as the new sprinklers have check valves that hold the water in the pipe as well as eliminated run off on the slopes with the lower application rate.

So, in the end, less water is used, nearly non is wasted or lost, and all his plants will live and live better.

Another alternative to sprinklers is drip irrigation, even under lawns is possible. My entire irrigation career has been in the field of advanced water saving irrigation systems. I have been installing drip irrigation on landscape since 1980, before most people even heard of drip irrigation. I was also the first user of the MP Rotator here when it was introduced, many years ago.

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by David K]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 10:47 AM

Another advantage of the MPR is less evaporation due to larger droplet size (with a by-product bonus that these will operate in windier conditions--I have a few watering my cactus garden in Borrego Springs and I've seen these heads functioning in 20 mph winds...more or less)
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.