Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Time to mod the suspension: Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I got the data from Toyota and two independent suppliers...I'll call them in the morning and let them know they are wrong...

Do whatever floats your boat. If I recall, the letter K was not on the 2005, maybe other parts as well?

Here is my 2010 Left side rear spring number:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

After 5 years and the springs need "help". I don't understand. Toyota springs wear out?

Yes, do springs on GM trucks not wear out? Really??

geeze. don't k now... but in 285,000 miles on my Ford they did not. Only got 40,000 on the Ram........ why is it when you have a problem with the Toyota you
point the finger somewhere else?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 05:54 PM

I didn't point somewhere else. I have always freely said what the negatives are of my 2005 Tacoma... there were 3, and the rear springs were one.

Most Tacomas are not sold to folks wanting a heavy duty load truck, so they make it comfortable for driving. I am not agreeing with that, but that is the answer.

Your surprise about spring wear had me wonder what U.S. brand is free from wearing out. That's great news about the Ford.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
Air bags only take the bad ride up and down and send it side to side.

You will learn to hate them.

Not in my case... I had them (these same ones) for three years on my 2005 Tacoma before. It has too soft rear springs and needed help. The Ride Rites solved the issue perfectly!

My 2010 Tacoma had much better rear springs, but after 5 years now, they could use some help... and the Ride Rites are again doing a perfect job. You do understand the stock leaf springs stay on the truck and the air bags simply replace the bump stops giving you adjustable ride height/ and firmness... i.e. no bottoming out. The stock suspension still controls the side to side issue I think you are talking about.

I forgot you have a Mini Truck not a full size

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:21 PM

Cortez-
Be Careful callin it a mini..... Some here are pretty sensitive about their cute little rigs!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:27 PM

1/3 smaller and twice the fun! :light::biggrin:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:33 PM

Haha!
It may be small, but it's a smooth runnin' little devil!!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2015 at 10:51 AM

I've done add a leafs on every truck I've owned. I added two on my GMC Z71. Also added two to the Wheeler spring pack on my Tacoma. Breaking leaf springs is what I do best off road.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 08:58 AM

My last truck before Nissan diesel,was new 12 Tacoma crew cab,I have always owed Toyota's.They have served me well,except this truck.Many problems dealer could not fix.It also had the spring problem in the rear,with two dirt bikes,on the bump stops.I did 3in ADL fixed it perfect,still had great ride.This 12 was the only bad Toyota I have ever owned.Also Every Dodge,Ford,Chev,I have owned never had rear Susp go bad.My 96 Dodge Cummings over 280mi rear springs,still work perfect.My 14 Nissan opposite problem of the Toyota,it had 4 leafs in the rear.Noway to drive the truck,two of them overloads 1/2 in thick.Removed them both put one long ADL in rear.Cant win um all.Im still working on Mission tour for you David.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:10 AM

Thanks Larry, appreciate it!

They all can't be winners sadly. I really don't have anything bad to say about Nissan, there just are not very many out there... same thing with Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Suzuki, and any other Asian brand pickups (are there any more?). The Tacoma has owned the smaller size truck market here for so long, it has to be due to the majority of them being winners. That is why hearing of a bad Toyota is so unusual. The people here on the Baja Internet were strongly pushing me to buy a Tacoma when I was in the market for a Baja truck, back in 2000. It took a Ford dealer lack of interest in my trade in to keep me from getting a Ranger then. I am glad of it, as my 2001 Tacoma was unreal in how reliable and capable it was!

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 06:49 PM

Oh Man I got Censored.

For those of you who didn't see it, I will clean it up

We are talking about trucks not p****s's

:yes:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Oh Man I got Censored.

What!!??!!

Hey, the way I see it if I have to add a leaf to stiffen up the ride no biggie but, more importantly, I gotta have a super-low gear to grind it out so I get 'er up and over the peak.

But, that's just me.

If you are out in the bush and have problems there is always duct tape and twigs to get UP the peak:saint:

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:46 PM

Oh Man I got Censored.

Where have you been in your truck?

Have you been over the summit, #1 will do.

Have you been on the Pole Line Road?

Have you been from San Isidro to Mulege on the Guajademi trail?

Have you been to San Juan de La Pilas?

Have you been on the No Wimp Trail from El Barril to San Ignacio?

Have you been on the loop trail from Laguna Chapala to Bahia Blanco to San Antonio to Hwy 1 at KM252 or KM 271?

Have you ever been on the smooth road from Coco to Mission Calamajue to El Crucero?

What about the trip into Mission Santa Maria?

If you have never been on these trails let me know and I'll be glad to take you. Me in my Tacoma and you in your big bad full size truck. I'm ready anytime, name the date.

If you make all these trails I'll present you with the Official Off Road trophy of Baja.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:23 PM

Thanks Larry, appreciate it!

They all can't be winners sadly. I really don't have anything bad to say about Nissan, there just are not very many out there... same thing with Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Suzuki, and any other Asian brand pickups (are there any more?). The Tacoma has owned the smaller size truck market here for so long, it has to be due to the majority of them being winners. That is why hearing of a bad Toyota is so unusual. The people here on the Baja Internet were strongly pushing me to buy a Tacoma when I was in the market for a Baja truck, back in 2000. It took a Ford dealer lack of interest in my trade in to keep me from getting a Ranger then. I am glad of it, as my 2001 Tacoma was unreal in how reliable and capable it was!
David I have no brand loyalty.If my truck is junk I will report to all.In the small truck market,I will always say Toyota number one,Nissan number two.Most would think from 1 to 10(10 the best) Toyota number 10,Nissan number 9.Not so Nissan down to 7 then the rest.Im only talking small trucks.If Mexico would sell Toyota mini truck diesel,i would have jumped over the Nissan.This truck only 24,000 out the door,but the 5/6 grand in up grades cost.Its up to 33mpg thats not too bad.You where lucky you did not get the 2000 ranger 4x4,that was bad year 4x4 ranger.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Where have you been in your truck?

Have you been over the summit, #1 will do.

Have you been on the Pole Line Road?

Have you been from San Isidro to Mulege on the Guajademi trail?

Have you been to San Juan de La Pilas?

Have you been on the No Wimp Trail from El Barril to San Ignacio?

Have you been on the loop trail from Laguna Chapala to Bahia Blanco to San Antonio to Hwy 1 at KM252 or KM 271?

Have you ever been on the smooth road from Coco to Mission Calamajue to El Crucero?

What about the trip into Mission Santa Maria?

If you have never been on these trails let me know and I'll be glad to take you. Me in my Tacoma and you in your big bad full size truck. I'm ready anytime, name the date.

If you make all these trails I'll present you with the Official Off Road trophy of Baja.

I want to do all of these. Never been.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 09:08 AM

Come on Bob, let's go! I have only been on three of the TW list!!

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 09:52 AM

Come on Bob, let's go! I have only been on three of the TW list!!

Stop by my shop in Esco or meet me for lunch and we can talk about it and plan something.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 10:10 AM

You there today? Send me a u2u reminder of where exactly.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 10:30 AM

Check your u2u.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2015 at 03:33 PM

More good trails to drive.

From La Paz to San Evaristo to San Luis Gonzaga Mission to CD Constitucion.

CD Constitucion to Timbabichi.

CD Insurgentes backward on the Baja 1000 course to San Javier to the Comondu's to San Isidro.

Mulege south to the San Raymundo trail to La Ballena.

From Valle La Trinidad to Mikes Sky Rancho to El Coyote to El Socorrito south to Santa Cruz to El Sauzalito.

Full size or smaller trucks/SUVs are good, 4WD recommended.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.