BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Choosing Early Retirement or Maxing SS Benefit?
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:40 AM

Ump,
Find a book called "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez.

What you're trying to balance out is choosing between "to be" and "to have." The info in that book lead me to change how I value my time/life energy in exchange for $$ for the better.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 01:15 PM

A boat was docked in a tiny Mexican fishing village.

A tourist complimented the local fishermen on the quality of their fish and... asked how long it took to catch them.

"Not very long" they answered in unison.

"Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?"

The fishermen explained that their small catches were sufficient to meet their needs and those of their families.

"But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"We sleep late, fish a little, play with our children, and take siestas with our wives. In the evenings, we go into the village to see our friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs.
We have a full life."

The tourist interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat."

"And after that?"

"With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.
Instead of selling your fish to a middle man, you can then negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City!!! From there you can direct your huge new enterprise."

"How long would that take?"

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years." replied the tourist.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? Well my friend, that's when it gets really interesting," answered the tourist, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start buying and selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fishermen.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends."

"With all due respect sir, but that's exactly what we are doing now. So what's the point wasting twenty-five years?" asked the Mexicans.

And the moral of this story is:

Know where you're going in life, you may already be there! Many times in life, money is not everything.

“Live your life before life becomes lifeless”

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 02:04 PM

My wife and I have sat down with 2 financial planners whom we trust and have decided that I will target a retirement age of 60 (I'll be 56 in a few days). Whether to take SS at 62 or later is still undecided, as my wife plans to continue working. I'm in IT, which is truly a young man's profession, so to me it doesn't make sense to remain a dinosaur among young pups for any longer than necessary.

I'm debt-free, am currently max-ing out my 401K and socking away additional cash in my "Sunny Day fund", and as long as that remains the same for the next 4 years, we should be in good shape.

Naturally, the next 4 years could hold plenty of surprises. Case in point: I'm getting major surgery (back) next month, but apart from that we're both in good health and would like to enjoy our golden years sooner than later. My parents are both alive and well in their 80s, but 3 of 4 grandparents died young (60s or younger), so I want to maximize the good life while it's still there for the taking.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
umpqua
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:21 PM

Hey Moto, you're jock'n my style. You're second in line for the "retirement partner.'

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
As one of the "younger folks" (64 this month), I am planning on quitting my work this next spring. I don't have a pension or a wife with one, so am needing to rely on meager savings and some gov't OAP/SS income.

As such, I have dreamed for years of spending a great amount of my "retired time" in Baja.

It seems that some folks who are a "couple" (married or just "shacked up" as my dad would say) are able to manage well on a few thousand $$$ a month.

So.....maybe there is an attractive, patient, energetic, healthy single woman with a great sense of humour and with no financial worries who is presently living in her own place in Baja (somewhere from BoLA south) and who wants to share her
"excelente ubicación" with a creative, adventurous, funny, loving and caring guy.

While I enjoy fishing, I don't have a boat at this present time. I do enjoy motorcycling and desert adventuring, am a great cook, enjoy gardening, love cats more than dogs (but enjoy a dog's company), and am trustworthy and responsible.

If anyone knows of a potential "retirement partner", please U2U me or post a reply here.

Oh.....please send a picture of your casita and boat.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 8-6-2015 by motoged]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:32 PM

Do we need a 'Personals' forum on this web site, or is 'Off Topic' as close as we need to get?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Do we need a 'Personals' forum on this web site, or is 'Off Topic' as close as we need to get?

AK,
Nope....just need a sense of ha ha :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:08 PM

Yet another of my attempts at humor fell flat!

I have to remember to use the smilies more...:tumble::lol::light:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:12 PM

I got a giggle out of it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
umpqua
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:51 PM

As a suggested by one of the Nomads, I've scheduled a meeting with a financial planner. I have the info gathering call tomorrow.

Thanks for inspiring me everyone. A beer at aqua verde would taste mighty fine about right now.
umpqua
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:53 PM

Mulege I'll pick up the book.

I was in Mulege for NYE 3 years ago. Had a great time. I like that town....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Yet another of my attempts at humor fell flat!

I have to remember to use the smilies more...:tumble::lol::light:

AK,
I knew you were funnin' :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 08:35 PM

I didn't look at all responses, but here is my 2 cents

I refer to my money as buckets and I have several

Real Estate
Precious Metals
cash
stocks
general assets
pensions

So if you put together a spreadsheet and calculate if you take SS at 62.5, 65, 67, 70 etc.

now look for your crossover points where you will make the same money over a period of time.

Now, you have to figure out how much you have in your 401K and you MUST start depleting your funds at 70.5.

You also have to figure tax rates today vs the fact they will become higher down the road. You will get an 8% return on your SS

Take all that data and build several models to figure out the pros and cons. Also, how much money do you need?

There is also a method that the highest bread winner can hold off on taking SS and have the other spouse take theirs and the other person can get 1/2 of the spouses monthly pay.

Here is a link that explains it

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/12/...

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 09:34 PM

That meteor in the far distant sky can come crashing on your head when you least expect it. I know from personal experience. You can plan and stay fit and healthy and dream about what you want to do at 70 but will your body be UP to it???? I think it is nuts to plan retirement for when you are 65 or 70...life is short. If you can get out now, go for it. chit happens and believe me, it is when you least expect it no matter how you plan things. Life is for the living.....do not wait to do your passions.....tie up money loose ends and live what you love now....just my 2 pesos worth.

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 12:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by umpqua  
As a suggested by one of the Nomads, I've scheduled a meeting with a financial planner. I have the info gathering call tomorrow.

Thanks for inspiring me everyone. A beer at aqua verde would taste mighty fine about right now.

It's always nice to get other opinions, and some financial planners do great jobs. But a financial planner, has goals too, and that's you roll over your 401K into an IRA, and if they're really crazy, they will have you roll it over into an "annuity" if they think you're risk aversion, and because the fees are better for them for insurance products.

So most likely a financial planner will be pushing that you retire early, claiming you could make up the short fall of retiring early with their professional advice. Financial planners, financial consultants, or whatever they call themselves these days, will always be sniffing for all your assets, under the guise they want to look at the total picture, but they really want all your assets, so they could earn a bigger commission or fee.

I used to think most people could do their own investing, but I no longer believe that, because most people don't know about simple diversification, or they're overly conservative or overly aggressive.

Here is a question I would ask a financial planner, "if the S&P 500 index fund has outperformed over 90% of all domestic equity mutual funds for years, and I could also buy some conservative bond fund to spread the risk, what advantage would I have investing my retirement monies with you? They should be able to answer the question.

[Edited on 8-7-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 07:14 AM

Most financial advisers are simply sales folks selling financial products. You should look for a fiduciary adviser that gets paid from performance only.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 08:36 AM

When it comes to predicting longevity, just remember that Keith Richards is still alive.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  

the problem is inflation.

That can/will be a huge problem when you're on a fixed income, especially considering all the money that was printed in the past 7 years or so.

One of the first adjustments social security could get hit with to keep it solvent is a reduction in the COLA, which makes inflation even more onerous for retirees.

I'm betting that high inflation is around the corner and am investing with that in mind.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 09:55 AM

ONLY use a fee only financial planner from NAPFA. Fiduciary duty and non-commission based is crucial.

More here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarotta/2012/06/11/fee-only...

I had a close relative get eaten alive by full commission "advisors"

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Many have been down that road before. My father died at 55 and just before retirement. Savings and investments didn't help him. I therefore retired at 57 realizing life is finite. I have also seen folks whose spouse died just as they retired, leaving all those retirement plans ruined. Talking to other retirees, it seems their greatest regret is not retiring soon enough. Aging cannot be stopped and brings with it disabilities that are not predicted. We have found that we live cheaper, enjoy life's experiences like beaches and other Baja resources, and don't spend that much money. Life is for living, and that time is limited. To each his own, of course, but you are doing the right thing by asking other folks how retirement works for them.
Great information. I like the part that recommends living cheaper.

Many years ago I met a retired career social security employee. His advice to this question was to take the money when you want to have the income, use the money at that time and don't let the numbers dictate your life. Of course we all accept the advice that we like and I liked his advice.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  

And the moral of this story is:

Know where you're going in life, you may already be there!

I like this statement. Bob, can I use this? If yes, I'll give you credit for it. If no, I'll use it anyway and not give you credit for it. :bounce:

Great story too. Thx
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.