Author: Subject: Planted drugs at check point
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 09:54 AM

THANKFULLY THIS SITE DOES NOT CENSOR BAD NEWS :bounce:
DO NOT TRUST TALK BAJA, THEY CENSOR BAD NEWS :(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Since I live relatively close by and go to San Ignacio occasionaly, i have printed the post and copied the URL and will take it to the officer in charge. I will also drop it off for the Commandante at Guerrero Negro in a couple of weeks.

Why would you do this so the Commandante, and others could have a good laugh?

You don't even know who wrote the original post?

What are you going to tell them, you found it posted by some 3rd party on some Baja sites?

Have you noticed on most of these shake down reports, the corrupt Mexico cops, or the Mexican military, always lose out in the end, and end up with nothing.

It begs the question why these corrupt cops/military, even bother do shake down gringos, because in the end, they rarely even get anything like a bribe or what they were alleged trying to steal.

Now me, if a corrupt Mexican cops tries to get a bribe from me, or steal money from my wallet, I'm only going to report him if he is successful, otherwise I'm just going to pat myself on the back for standing up to the corrupt cop, and then go about my business......but that's just me.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 12:22 PM
Free-Flowing B.S.

Once again, I'm reminded of the words of wisdom often rendered by a neighbor of mine in Baja summarizing the typical group get-togethers:

"The first Liar doesn't stand a chance."
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I beg to differ as many of my posts have been deleted :fire:
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

Mood: where have all of the smart people gone?

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 01:16 PM

why debate if this story is true or not? we will never really know the truth behind this story as nobody was there except said victim and aforementioned soldiers. but are we really debating whether or not corruption exists at checkpoints in Mexico?!?!? forget what any of us "gringos" know or don't, just ask any mexican if there is corruption at checkpoints. corruption exists when everyone is watching, but somehow it is beyond the realm of possibility in the middle of the freaking desert? "so it's never happened to you argument" is what we are using??? i never won the lottery, but i am pretty certain that it exists.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Find the story hard to believe.

Why not...

Check-point guys are poor, always interested in whatever is in my bags, asking how much is this or that. No attempts to shake-down yet. One bad commander is all it takes for this to happen.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 02:27 PM
Bad Days on the Road

Bad things happen to some people ?

I often noticed at Baja neighbors get-togethers that a few of the same people would have repeated colorful tales of adverse corruption encounters on the highway while most traveled the same roads during the same times without incident.

More than once I remarked to such engrossing descriptions with "It must be Hell to be you".

Over 50 years of travel in (mostly) Northern Baja and a multitude of varied mordida encounters, I came away with only (quite a few) humorous anecdotes.

Just lucky, I guess. OR ......................... ?
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Bad things happen to some people ?

I often noticed at Baja neighbors get-togethers that a few of the same people would have repeated colorful tales of adverse corruption encounters on the highway while most traveled the same roads during the same times without incident.

More than once I remarked to such engrossing descriptions with "It must be Hell to be you".

Over 50 years of travel in (mostly) Northern Baja and a multitude of varied mordida encounters, I came away with only (quite a few) humorous anecdotes.

Just lucky, I guess. OR ......................... ?

just read about a 78 year old woman's experience through a checkpoint. sad story, but i guess she's full of crap right??? because since it didn't happen to you well then it couldn't possibly happen to anybody else.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/military-checkpoi...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 03:18 PM

I now believe the "insight crime" shakedown story for two reasons.

The woman, in the 3rd handed report, was actually a victim, and she allegedly lost real money.

The second reason, is "insight crime" is funded by George Soros, and the Open Society Foundations," and I'm sure both groups, have the best interest of poor Latin Americans in mind, when they pour millions of dollars in organizations like "Insight Crime."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InSight_Crime

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

redmercury
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 03:23 PM

Quit whining. 39,000 members on TalkBaja that have not been banned. Many also members here. If you take a look at the membership stats of Nomads you will see there have been many banned. Again..quit whining.

(1) How do we know 39,000 members of TalkBaja have not been banned? Baja Nomad shows banned members on it Member List. On Facebook, only the moderators and admins can see who they have banned. So how many are banned on Talk Baja? You are a moderator, if you want to make a fair argument, then give us the number for comparison.

(2) You said this information on the searches was deleted from Talk Baja because it was uncorroborated. Now you are telling us you are taking this post and you are going to show it to the authorities. Can you explain your conflicting statements? Why is it good enough to take to the authorities, but not good enough to allow on Talk Baja?

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 04:17 PM

The post author, Russ, would never post an untruth. The writer of the letter is a long time resident of Punta Chivato and would not send out a letter to the PC-HOA unless the incident happened.

I always give a bag of chocolate candy bars to the check point guys. The ONLY time it was refused was a couple of years ago at the San Ignacio CP. The officer in charge would not allow the kids to take it Shortly after this, the incident regarding the family that was harassed on the devils grade heading south to Santa Rosalia happened. Most of the check point guys are really nice, but occasionally you get an buttcrack. Hopefully he will be transferred soon.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 04:37 PM

Post not on tb anymore? Couldn't find it. I think the page owner deletes the negative stories. Stories must be peace, live, fish tacos, eh?

Sorry Goat but we don't censor bad news and I am not saying whether or not this actually happened - it very well may have. The post that was deleted was originally shared from another page that contained only 3rd hand allegations that did not even include the date, names and/or source of the allegations. Surfers love to create and share such stories down here to help drive away other potential visitors to their secret surfing spots and it is simply common sense to require some minimum level of corroboration or sourcing to the original story.

I have asked another member of our group who tells me they knew of the story, to please post it again but this time including the names/source of the story / allegations. That will provide much better credibility to the story and basis to have a much better, informed discussion. Otherwise we waste a lot of valuable time arguing over whether it is Fake News or not. I prefer to avoid such arguments.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I agree, FaceBook sucks, Baja Nomads rule !!!!

Somehow I don't think they will miss you.

Stuff like this makes it clear that Doug Means and his Baja Nomad forums are a place where we all can talk (about) Baja without any fear of being banned or blocked or have threads altered to not allow updates. It has to be a very extreme case of rules violations for Doug to close a thread or ban a member, and not without warnings.

Questions on how to improve a site so older posts do not vanish, to improve its usefulness for research, do NOT get you banned here!

David - I know you continue to have an ax to grind over being banned from Talk Baja and no, we don't routinely ban people for asking simple questions on "how to improve a site". We have a stated set of rules and when members refuse to follow them they will be banned. Our large membership, quickly approaching 40 thousand is somehow able to abide by these rules. In fact one of the most common themes in daily messages received is appreciation expressed for our group moderation and enforcement of the rules.

When I first set out to build Talk Baja I wasn't trying to copy a formula used in any other specific group. I tried to create a different style of platform that I thought was largely missing from Baja/Mexico discussion groups and while I acknowledge that it may not work for everybody, there are plenty of other groups out there.

And if you think that Doug doesn't delete or edit comments, close threads and ban members then you really don't pay very close attention to what goes on here at Nomad. I am not here that often yet I still see it. Any group without moderation quickly degrades down into fighting, anarchy and will eventually lead to a small minority made up of those who yell loudest taking over.

Not something I want to see happen at Talk Baja and I hope it doesn't happen here.

As for the comments from Paco Facullo, I am deeply surprised as that is not what he said to me when we met face to face last year. I guess some people show their true colors when they are safely behind the facade of a keyboard and computer screen.

Oh well, can't win 'em all...

1l.jpg - 34kB

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by BajaGringo]

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 05:10 PM

Corroborated by DK...How? does he know the original poster? Was he there? Was russ there...or as he says...is he just passing the story on. As many said on the post before it was shut down...its a very unbelievable story...especially the language by the soldiers and the absence of an official report...The poster could say why he did not report it.

If you want to follow the story...follow it here....

Hey now, I was simply agreeing with what rts551 posted.

There have been times I did use Facebook and I did check out Bajatalk and certainly didn't have any problem with it.

It is the whole of Facebook I do not like and as such do not have a account any longer.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 05:18 PM

No Ron, you can't win em all... I try my hardest to provide detailed information of interest to Baja travelers. It is what motivates me

I have no hate for anyone and I thought we were friends. The birthday cake you got me two years ago was a fantastic surprise. I know you have been overwhelmed by life and by your business and needed help moderating. You may not want to lose any moderators, but sometimes a moderator may need moderating?

I have provided a lot of information to your former website before it vanished and then I have been sharing a lot on your Facebook version only to see it impossible to find for most folks weeks later. I was only trying to figure out a Facebook solution to find posts by checking every possible way. That is what I got banned for, because someone on your team thought I was insulting your page. Nothing was further from the truth.

I suspected your moderator was behind this so yes, I tried to connect with you to work it out. I still await some solution so I can assist your viewers as I do here and for all the clients of Baja Bound who read and enjoy my articles. Baja Bound sponsors your page as it does Nomad. The Baja Bound Road Guide is going to be a big deal with my having driven over 12,000 miles in Baja last year and just returned from nearly 900 miles on Friday to research the interesting places in Baja.

I hope things improve for you so you can relax, you deserve a break!

I am here to help, always.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 05:33 PM
Down and out in Chiapas ?

However factually correct the story may be, I have no doubt that there might be a great difference in the way some NATIVES (aged or otherwise) are treated by some (civil or military) officials.

Which does nothing to validate or negate stories proffered by gringo tourists or residents.

It does point out that it's tough being an elderly Mexican peasant.

As if we didn't KNOW that.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  

I beg to differ as many of my posts have been deleted :fire:

Nothing's been removed that was a posting of relevant information for Baja travelers.... good news, or bad.

;)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:15 PM

However factually correct the story may be, I have no doubt that there might be a great difference in the way some NATIVES (aged or otherwise) are treated by some (civil or military) officials.

Which does nothing to validate or negate stories proffered by gringo tourists or residents.

It does point out that it's tough being an elderly Mexican peasant.

As if we didn't KNOW that.

there is corruption at checkpoints. simple. wanna crap on some poor old woman's story and question her factual integrity? fine. the gringo with the crazy drug planting story is full of crap? ok. but your 50 years of traveling trough Baja also has nothing to do with whether or not corruption at checkpoints exists. the existence of corruption doesn't all of a sudden disappear because MrBill never had an encounter. the world doesn't revolve around you. a recent pew poll showed that the second most important factor for the average mexican citizen is corruption, but everything will be alright because MrBill says that doesn't exist because it never happened to him.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 09:30 PM
Having read Atlas Shrugged .................

..................And still remained an Ayn Rand fan in spite of that, this new John Galt obviously isn't THAT character whatever he might imagine.

Certainly, NOTHING I've said here indicates that I'm unaware of official corruption in Baja. On the contrary, I have (over the years) paid my share of Mordida and (for the most part) greatly benefited from having done so. I've always been a proponent of the system and wished at times that I could have paid a bit now and then in El Norte. Especially, in lieu of a traffic citation.

However, I have NEVER run into one of those theft or harassment situations and (consequently) I have often voiced a healthy degree of skepticism regarding some of the more colorful (unverified) descriptions of encounters claimed by others.

As often said "The TRUTH is in the PROOF". Any story lacking same may well be true, it may be somewhat true (while enhanced) OR it may be B.S. Quien Sabe ?

One has the option of considering, accepting or rejecting ANY tale offered. Decades of experience has demonstrated repeatedly that facts are often a casualty in pursuit of a compelling story.
JohnGaltSpeaking
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 10:09 PM

..................And still remained an Ayn Rand fan in spite of that, this new John Galt obviously isn't THAT character whatever he might imagine.

Certainly, NOTHING I've said here indicates that I'm unaware of official corruption in Baja. On the contrary, I have (over the years) paid my share of Mordida and (for the most part) greatly benefited from having done so. I've always been a proponent of the system and wished at times that I could have paid a bit now and then in El Norte. Especially, in lieu of a traffic citation.

However, I have NEVER run into one of those theft or harassment situations and (consequently) I have often voiced a healthy degree of skepticism regarding some of the more colorful (unverified) descriptions of encounters claimed by others.

As often said "The TRUTH is in the PROOF". Any story lacking same may well be true, it may be somewhat true (while enhanced) OR it may be B.S. Quien Sabe ?

One has the option of considering, accepting or rejecting ANY tale offered. Decades of experience has demonstrated repeatedly that facts are often a casualty in pursuit of a compelling story.

well said. and i agree with you on people basically being full of s*it, especially on forums. people sharing stories on a forum clearly want an audience and what better way to get said audience than with a little embellishment. disagree on the proof part though, i mean tell me a story of corruption that has been verified? did the cop give you a picture? hahaha. doubt it. witnesses are enough for a murder case, can't see why they aren't enough for you. but ok. as long as we can admit that corruption exists.

now if you only knew about music....
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 10:16 PM

David K you need to stop your preoccupation with me ..Its not healthy anD has me worried,,, how many guns do you own? i DID NOT BAN YOU . Ron did and for good reason. wHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET IT?

Nomad guru/DK disciples pls help this guy.

Get over yourself Ralfie.
You chase every DK post around this site like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

Every post Ron makes you sniff his butt.
What does that say about you?

Go mod Talk Baja, You have no imput value here.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.