BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mandatory return of FMM commencing?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:29 PM

Translation glitch maybe instead of saying 'MAY NOT BE USED' ??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:58 PM

The Mexican government was pretty good about public access to public lands by Mexicans. It wasn't until the Gringos came that they had to restrict access. You, David, are not Mexican and have no rights to this Mexican land you want as you playground to trample with your vehicle.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 08:41 PM

I am a Californian and Baja was the original California. I go there to connect with the land I feel a part of. I have no rights to it and never said I did. Enough with fake news. I also tread lightly using 4WD and deflated tires to leave the land as close as it was before me. I also have hauled out bags of beer bottle trash tossed by Mexican spectators during an off road race. Take your anger and direct it at the problem not the solution.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am a Californian and Baja was the original California. I go there to connect with the land I feel a part of. I have no rights to it and never said I did. Enough with fake news. I also tread lightly using 4WD and deflated tires to leave the land as close as it was before me. I also have hauled out bags of beer bottle trash tossed by Mexican spectators during an off road race. Take your anger and direct it at the problem not the solution.

Following your logic its more likely that Baja Californians feel a part of Kalifornia and should be able to freely come and "connect".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 07:23 AM

They do! But not as many as their brothers from Oaxaca or cousins from Honduras! :biggrin:

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Wow. I did not think there was any question about having to have one. Read your own post again... Do I need to get the law for you. https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Norte you quoting the law for me is about as equivalent quoting laws against Jaywalking in the USA, while most everyone in the back drop is jaywalking in clear view of the police.

I know what Mexican laws and procedures are. My point is that Mexico doesn't seem to be enforcing those laws and continue to act like there is a free zone a few miles away from the border. ( we now find out there was never any official free zone around the border)

If you look on the back of the FMM it says that you're supposed to return the FMM upon exit of Mexico. Guess what Norte? Very few people who travel by car or foot return the FMM upon exit of Mexico. This is due to the fact Mexico, has no official procedures in place to do so.

So quit quoiting the laws on paper regarding the FMM, when we know the majority of people driving in Mexico, do not stop and get the FMM, especially if their trips are going to be brief and not far into Mexico.

Mexico at the border only has a procedure in place to stop all pedestrians and have foreigners fill out fill out a FMM, and even then they pass many foreigners right through without filling out any FMM once you tell them your trip will be less than seven days.

Mexico has no procedures in place to check all foreign cars entering Mexico, and making them fill out a FMM. So therefore, most people are not stopping, especially when Mexico officials tell many of them they don't have to stop.

Now Norte, if you never want to jaywalk, because of the laws, that's fine with me, but I jaywalk all the time because I know nobody is enforcing jaywalking laws.

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
from JJJ post "That's been my experience often when crossing the border that even walking in as a pedestrian they don't even bother fillng out a FMM once they find out my visit will be brief and like thousands of Americans I don't stop at the border in a car to pick up a FMM if my visit will be brief and not far from the border." and he needs to read the law above.

That's right Norte, this is my experience, and if you ever stopped at the border you could see all the cars passing right through and not stopping to get a FMM, or whatever reason.

BTW we know Mexican cops are corrupt, but I have yet to hear about a Mexican cop trying to shake down American tourists because he wasn't carrying a FMM.

What David K, said about his caravan of Americans coming to Baja for a few days, is a typical experience. They drive right through and don't stop to get a FMM.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

What David K, said about his caravan of Americans coming to Baja for a few days, is a typical experience. They drive right through and don't stop to get a FMM.

What "caravan of Americans"? I never said any such thing.

The TV show crew and I were at Mexican Customs and Immigration (INM) for over an hour (I think closer to two hours), our three (3) vehicles were parked right by their building. In all that time, on a Saturday afternoon... not one official from customs or immigration inspected our vehicles or even walked near them, while the liaison person (fixer) was getting the import paperwork done for the media equipment and whatever else was needed. We also walked a ways a couple times to use the restrooms. This was right were the pedestrians enter Mexico at Otay, as well.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 03:41 PM

Sorry David K. But your TV crew sure sounded like a caravan to me.

Definition Caravan: "a company of travelers on a journey through desert or hostile regions"

There are many here that see Baja as a hostile region.

And the bottom line there was a group of foreigners from the film group that did not get the FMM, for whatever reason.

You are going to love this...
The Mexican arranger for the film group I am with, said no FMM was needed because we were staying in Baja Norte, and only if going to Baja Sure required it. I told her the newest rules (as told to us) and she questioned them, said "when was that"?, said basically that was not true. We waited for a long time for her to get the official clearance inside, for our 3 vehicles and 11 people, with equipment, and we left for the hotel. No FMMs ... When I drive south, I will still get one!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2019 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Sorry David K. But your TV crew sure sounded like a caravan to me.

Definition Caravan: "a company of travelers on a journey through desert or hostile regions"

There are many here that see Baja as a hostile region.

And the bottom line there was a group of foreigners from the film group that did not get the FMM, for whatever reason.

You are going to love this...
The Mexican arranger for the film group I am with, said no FMM was needed because we were staying in Baja Norte, and only if going to Baja Sure required it. I told her the newest rules (as told to us) and she questioned them, said "when was that"?, said basically that was not true. We waited for a long time for her to get the official clearance inside, for our 3 vehicles and 11 people, with equipment, and we left for the hotel. No FMMs ... When I drive south, I will still get one!

The caravan part was fine (if 3 cars is a caravan)... it was this part that was false:

"They drive right through and don't stop"

Not even close, we stopped at Mexican customs for nearly 2 hours for the paperwork that was needed. I have a photo of the host of the show and I that he took at the parking area in front if the INM office that I will post (along with others of the crew and the host) once it is okay for me to disclose the name of the show and the host's name.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.