Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  29    31    33  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 10:37 AM

Sorry for the gigante photos....I didn't realize they were that big!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
....they should wear leashes, wear a flotation device on rough days, and should carry an extra paddle,...also, don't forget sun screen!

p.s. kite might be nice for low-moderate downwind days

Goat,
I agree....but idealism wins over practicality at times.

Good luck. guys.....

Don't believe everything you think....
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 12:06 PM

If you wish...mail them to me at produce@thenatomasfarm.com and I will fix em' for you..........

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Sorry for the gigante photos....I didn't realize they were that big!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 01:39 PM

The chap who went with them on the other SUP seemd to know what he was doing..But I dont believe they had PFDs, and altho they were supposed to get a new SPOT, dont think it arrived..rougher than a cob out there today...

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 01:55 PM

McFez, you have a heart...is there anyway you can paddle close to the coast and not hit the rough seas on a paddleboard?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:05 PM

Maybe I'm ignorant about something here, but people SUP the pacific side all the time. There are actual waves over there. I know there is windswell generated on the SOC but nothing that is gonna harm an experienced SUPer.

Wind and waves come up???? Paddle to shore and make camp. Big deal. I don't think the guys are gonna be 10 miles from shore. I'm guessing they'll be hugging shore for the most part.

Have fun guys!!!!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:15 PM

Yes, Ateo I was surprised by the couple that kayaked off shore by San Felipe and the husband found dead. Why didn't they do what you suggest and paddle to shore when the water got too rough?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Maybe I'm ignorant about something here, but people SUP the pacific side all the time. There are actual waves over there. I know there is windswell generated on the SOC but nothing that is gonna harm an experienced SUPer.

Wind and waves come up???? Paddle to shore and make camp. Big deal. I don't think the guys are gonna be 10 miles from shore. I'm guessing they'll be hugging shore for the most part.

Have fun guys!!!!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:41 PM

So many things can happen out on the water. Sudden winds, a tip over due to whatever, arrogant adventure attitudes, inexperience, etc.

Some parts of the coastline on SoC are cliffs for long stretches that do not allow landings.....

No PFD's is perhaps a sign of inexperienced paddlers with some of the above-noted characteristics....but these guys seem to survive despite their "preparation"....the good folks of Baja come to the rescue.:saint:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Yes, Ateo I was surprised by the couple that kayaked off shore by San Felipe and the husband found dead. Why didn't they do what you suggest and paddle to shore when the water got too rough?

re your comment: chit happens! (sometimes the water gets rough faster than you can get out of it, people sometimes paddle further than their abilities,...)

the "dudes" can SUP in waves and wind,... but don't know why they chose SUP, other than it is the current trendy watercraft, and kids are prone to follow trends -- personally, i find that SUPs are fun for short periods and playing around - but kayaks are more practical and relaxing for distance paddling and exploration,... but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

ya know, if they really wanted to adventure in style, they would sail a small dinghy or daysailer that can be easily beached,... and they could sail all the way back to San Diego... or circumnavigate baja, or sail entire coast of mexico,... baja has no shortage of wind. but seems they chose SUP, so be it!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 02:52 PM

They should have opted for a couple of these. They would look good in the Nat Geo special:

http://www.itbikes.com/gallery/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 03:07 PM

The area from Mulege north to Chivato along the coast is good.:D A good walk.;D
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

re your comment: chit happens! (sometimes the water gets rough faster than you can get out of it, people sometimes paddle further than their abilities,...)

the "dudes" can SUP in waves and wind,... but don't know why they chose SUP, other than it is the current trendy watercraft, and kids are prone to follow trends -- personally, i find that SUPs are fun for short periods and playing around - but kayaks are more practical and relaxing for distance paddling and exploration,... but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

ya know, if they really wanted to adventure in style, they would sail a small dinghy or daysailer that can be easily beached,... and they could sail all the way back to San Diego... or circumnavigate baja, or sail entire coast of mexico,... baja has no shortage of wind. but seems they chose SUP, so be it!

Baja Doc.......believe me.....that Sea of Cortez currents can drag an elephant out to sea. One can be as short of two hundred feet from the shore and find big trouble. To swim back is really not an option I would try. Been there.

I do hope that the guys studied a little about the tidal movement on the Cortez.....it aint like Newport beach.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 03:44 PM

Since the first of the year 10+ people have lost their lives being swept out to sea etc. on Kauai. How many have been lost along the Sea of Cortez?:?:
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 05:07 PM

Many more people on the shores of Kauai than SoC, I would guess for starters. Wave action on K. is much different, especially on north and western beaches (I almost drowned body surfing at Barking Sands in 1974... )....and it's usually the waves that catch the folks....just like at Cabo SL.

Not a fair comparison :saint:

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by motoged]

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 05:11 PM

Thanks McFez, well that's how DENNIS ended up at Lomas Del Mar...thank God he had that water bike he was pushing a few posts ago...
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Quote:

Baja Doc.......believe me.....that Sea of Cortez currents can drag an elephant out to sea. One can be as short of two hundred feet from the shore and find big trouble. To swim back is really not an option I would try. Been there.

I do hope that the guys studied a little about the tidal movement on the Cortez.....it aint like Newport beach.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 06:07 PM

All I'm saying is as a guy who spends a lot of time in the ocean, the Sea of Cortez isn't something I lose sleep over. I know there are currents and the weather changes quickly. People die. These are things that any person on the water should be aware of.

These guys are fit and strong. They are carrying their lives and cameras with them so I'm guessing they don't want to get too wet. My bet is they are staying very, and I mean very, close to shore, traveling while the weather is good (who wants to paddle in rough conditions????), and resting when the weather sucks.

That's all I have to add. =)

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is as a guy who spends a lot of time in the ocean, the Sea of Cortez isn't something I lose sleep over. I know there are currents and the weather changes quickly. People die. These are things that any person on the water should be aware of.

you know, we all die someday, and doing something you like in a place you like seems like a good time/place to die. Just saying,... there are worse places to die! :light::light:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

you know, we all die someday, and doing something you like in a place you like seems like a good time/place to die. Just saying,... there are worse places to die! :light::light:

I would agree with that. On the operating table or in a car sucks. I want to die in Baja. On a beach. :)

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would agree with that. On the operating table or in a car sucks. I want to die in Baja. On a beach. :)

:light:

If I don't die there, I have asked to spend eternity there!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 07:24 PM

Real brilliant conversation going on here. When are you guys gonna get to the seventy virgins part?
 Pages:  1  ..  29    31    33  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.