BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 08:40 PM

A lot of white crosses at the sides of the roads in Baja Dennis...many people contemplate dying in Baja.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2013 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Real brilliant conversation going on here. When are you guys gonna get to the seventy virgins part?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 02:15 PM

Here is a pretty cool interview with the guys done by Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST:

http://lajolla.patch.com/articles/from-zombieland-to-cabo-wa...

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 02:37 PM

About 10 years I was with some friends kayaking just north of Loreto in early summer when the weather suddenly changed. Our strongest kayaker (who had done it for 20 years) was suddenly pulled off shore about a 100 yards or so. He couldn't get back to shore, so tried to paddle parallel for a while, but made no progress towards the shore. A panga came by about 5 minutes later and saved him.

It can go bad quickly.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
About 10 years I was with some friends kayaking just north of Loreto in early summer when the weather suddenly changed. Our strongest kayaker (who had done it for 20 years) was suddenly pulled off shore about a 100 yards or so. He couldn't get back to shore, so tried to paddle parallel for a while, but made no progress towards the shore. A panga came by about 5 minutes later and saved him.

It can go bad quickly.

I was in my personal panga just out side of Bahia,, when a squall came on us out of no where, it was hairy for awhile, my panga was knocked down, and lost a lot of gear over board
my shorts was puckered up for along time after that, I thank god for the handling of the boat to right itself, it was on us in a matter of minutes
personally I don't see them with SOB, JMO
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
A lot of white crosses at the sides of the roads in Baja Dennis...many people contemplate dying in Baja.

I have contemplated it....Baja is a good place to die....just don't think those shrines are for people who planned it.

Accidents and other tragedies account for the crosses....and perhaps some poor judgement was at work....we are hoping these two guys won't need a shrine at this time.
:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-21-2013 at 11:51 AM

I hope these guys are having the time of their lives!!! Without the spot, this board just wanders to the next shiny post. Have they been seen lately?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I hope these guys are having the time of their lives!!! Without the spot, this board just wanders to the next shiny post. Have they been seen lately?

There are some really good pictures of them leaving Mulege on their boards on their facebook page. They posted one and the other ones were posted by others.
AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 01:21 AM

That is a beautiful stretch of coast and I imagine they're having a fantastic time. After that walk I bet this stretch seems like a vacation! Assuming they are experienced paddlers it doesn't seem like an overly risky adventure to me... don't go out if the weather is bad and especially watch out for sudden offshore winds.

Personally I think a kayak is worlds better in terms of an expedition craft, if for no other reason than the ability to carry extra water. These guys are obviously depending on a desalinator, which I would love to have and think is awesome as a supplement but not a sole water source. It means two hours (!) of pumping a day, and what if it breaks? I tried to have a planned four gallon buffer (that's only two days supply for two people) between water sources and carried up to 19 gallons at a time in a tandem kayak. I've talked to kayakers who were pinned down by wind for five days in a row on remote beaches.

Chances are good though in a tight spot they could reach a fisherman or yacht or something to get some water. There are some desolate stretches but there are still plenty of people out there.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 05:23 AM

Right after they left here, they had a number of red flag days, with seas to six feet. They are not experienced paddlers, so I dont imagine they got very far. Last coupleof days have been flat and lots of boats are headed south. If anyone spots them we should hear about it.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 06:16 AM

They posted a response to someone on this past Saturday mornng at 5:15 a.m. on Facebook...but no other updates or pictures...

[Edited on 4-22-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 06:30 AM

they were still in the river then, someone said they made it to the point, same day...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 08:01 AM

TALLY HO! THE GAMES AFOOT!

These young fellows are on an adventure they will recall to thier grandchildren many years from now. It's something all of us that share The Baja Feeling know....it's kind of a rite of passage...getting shed of civilization and daring the wilderness.

To be sure they are on a very well traveled stretch of SOC coastlne. Local pangueros, expat fishermen, sailboat & stinkpot cruisers, and kayak outfitters ply those waters constantly. Lots of opportunities for contact of any kind. Fish camps dot the coastline from Pt. Conception to Loreto..and beyond.

First OUTWARD BOUND and then NOLS National Outdoor Leadership School) have sent many hundreds of kayak students down that coastline since the early 70's. These are regular college-accredited kayak trips of 2-4 weeks from November to end of April...now. Naturally they are guided by expert and experienced NOLS instructors.

This ia photo of one NOLS group taken from my old cruiser, Pompano, while I was delivering water containers to a cache south of Pt. Conception, seen in background.

There is an ever present danger of encountering high winds...and they can be lifetakers. 3 kayaking students lost thier lives in such a storm in the early 70's. A tragic reminder that the sea is unforgiving to the careless.

Far from feeling isolated, these fellows may feel like they are part of a parade. Since moving to Coyote Bay a lifetime ago, I and a few amigos have kayaked, canoed, sailed, and motored that entire coast from Conception Bay to Cabo and up to Scorpion Bay and back. Like these boys, we were young and eager for adventure. It's a pleasant and very fun trip, but you must use common sense and keep a weather eye out.

Simple stuff...enjoy it, boys. You'll have the time of your lives!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2013 at 10:23 AM

Here is the most recent photo from their Facebook page:

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 02:46 PM
Explorer Moment of the week

Nice Report

No worries
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 02:50 PM

Cool! Thanks Curt!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 02:53 PM

They must be moving along..I was pretty far south yesterday and did not see them...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 09:35 PM

That report really was more of a glossy sound bite than a report....this thread has been a much better and accurate "report"....so thanks, nomads, for "keeping it real". :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 09:51 PM

There is an a$$ for every seat
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 11:33 PM
Great picture...

Very nice paddling picture, guys...keep up the fantastic work!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Here is the most recent photo from their Facebook page:

Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.