Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 06:44 AM

From their Facebook page

The first week of paddling will perhaps be our worst. 20-30 knot winds producing 6ft+ swells. Boards flipped. Equipment floated away (but nothing lost). And after battling the conditions for 3 days we took refuge in a small cove. The winds eventually calmed and we spent 4 days paddling in what could have been the most amazingly wild part of our trip yet. The absence of humans and the abundance of marine life reminds us everyday of how unique the Gulf of California truly is.

Stand Up Paddle boards thrive out here. They allow us to stand above and look down through the emerald waters of the gulf. The amount of sea life beneath us is overwhelming.

No worries
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63

The first week of paddling will perhaps be our worst. 20-30 knot winds producing 6ft+ swells.

...ahh,,they'd be in LaPaz if they had taken those patio umbrellas!;D
.......I guess it's not all 'bout speed though,,,
............they'd miss too many fishcamps!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-27-2013 by micah202]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 12:14 PM

From their Facebook page on Friday:

"Pushed off from Loreto today. Calm and beautiful. Tonight we are camping on Isla Danzante. Tomorrow we leave communication for 2 weeks as we make our way south to La Paz on a stretch of coast known only to those passing through by boat or kayak.

We're perhaps the first people to Stand Up Paddle this section..."

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 01:15 PM

Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal? The last 2 weeks trip plus the next stretch would make great reading. Water all around but drinking water?? Good luck, Amigos. Tio
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 03:11 PM

They have plenty of drinking water. I think 3 or 4 Dromedary bags which hold 2.5 gallons each. Plus there are ranches all of the way down.
Met the guys in Loreto and had a great dinner. Had a real good time hashing stories with them. Hope they can stop back by on their way home so I can show them around.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 05:47 PM

Oh to be young again. These boys are having the time of their lives. What fun. :cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 07:30 PM

I was staying at Villa del Palmar Loreto on Saturday and Israel who runs the beach club told me he saw a strange site off of Danzante. It looked like two people standing on kayaks and heading south. He said he thought at first it was paddle boarders but couldn't wrap it around his head why paddle boarders would be heading south. When I told them he probably saw the guys, he couldn't believe it. I just wish I was down there Sat am to see them leave Danzante Island.

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by MexicoTed]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal?

From what I understand, not a written journal; more of a video travelogue told via tweets, about "#beaches" (not to be confused with "beaches"), I think.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 08:42 PM

Hijo De La Playa, was the name of one of my boats....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 08:47 PM
A journal on Facebook...

I think Facebook could be considered a journal of sorts.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal?

From what I understand, not a written journal; more of a video travelogue told via tweets, about "#beaches" (not to be confused with "beaches"), I think.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 08:31 AM

2 weeks incommunicado is a long time ! good luck boys ! I bet boats go out and meet up with them every so often.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hijo De La Playa, was the name of one of my boats....

II once had a cabin at a place named Sonova Beach.

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:51 AM

Named after my ex brother in law?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 10:29 AM

Isn't it tough stand up paddling? Is sitting down and paddling an option if you get tired? Why didn't they go for kayaks? Or is SUP, like they mentioned, the way to go?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 10:36 AM

Stand up paddling can be tough....especially when there is wind. Even on short paddles the arches of my feet will get cramped up. The guys should be fine once their muscles get acclimated. If you get tired of standing you can kneel down and paddle.

Kayaks are probably more practical...but SUP is all the rage right now....and I don't think that any one has attempted the route they are taking on SUP's...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Why didn't they go for kayaks?

Or, better yet, a Chris Craft. [do they still make those?]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 10:57 AM
A little SUP history

Quote:
Isn't it tough stand up paddling? Is sitting down and paddling an option if you get tired? Why didn't they go for kayaks? Or is SUP, like they mentioned, the way to go?

The first stand up paddle surfers emerged in Waikiki in the early 1950s, when the post-war tourism boom saw Matson cruise liners deposit thousands of thrill-hungry Americans on the beach under the shadow of Diamond Head. Naturally, they wanted to try their hand at the new sport of surfing, or at least take a canoe surf under the expert guidance of a Waikiki beachboy. And there were plenty of beachboys up for the job. Duke Kahanamoku and his brothers were a bit long in the tooth by this stage, but in their wake had come a whole new generation of beachboys who lurked under the banyan trees flirting with pretty heiresses until their bosses, the concierges of the luxury hotels on the beachfront, waved them into action for the benefit of another troop of newly-arrived thrill-seekers.

There being no point in risking life and limb in the pounding breakers unless you had a photo to prove it, the beachboys were called upon not only to teach the sport but to photograph it, and the box brownie cameras of the day made that rather difficult. No one can now remember who was the first ? maybe it was one of the Ah Choy brothers, Leroy or Bobby ? but one of the beachboys came up with an ingenious idea. He borrowed a paddle from an outrigger captain, hung a Kodak around his neck and paddled into the break standing on his redwood hot curl board.

To fall was to destroy an expensive camera, but put them on a board and beachboys can do anything, and soon full-frame photos of Cindy-Lou?s first wave, shot from right there on the same wave, on the next board if you can believe it, were de rigeur for the tourists. Inadvertently, the beachboys had invented a new style of surfing which, naturally enough, became known as ?beachboy surfing?.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=stand%20up%20...

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 11:14 AM

Well they are claiming it is the best way...interesting.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Stand up paddling can be tough....especially when there is wind. Even on short paddles the arches of my feet will get cramped up. The guys should be fine once their muscles get acclimated. If you get tired of standing you can kneel down and paddle.

Kayaks are probably more practical...but SUP is all the rage right now....and I don't think that any one has attempted the route they are taking on SUP's...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 11:16 AM

Here you go Dennis, and a very high tech polished ad to boot!!

http://www.chriscraft.com/

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Why didn't they go for kayaks?

Or, better yet, a Chris Craft. [do they still make those?]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
You can also paddle effectively while kneeling.
 Pages:  1  ..  31    33    35  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.