BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  60
Author: Subject: Arizonas new Imigration Bill(This has turned into a Rat Hole)
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 01:19 PM

I'm getting ready to comfortably retire in Feb 2011 after a work career spanning 6 decades. Here are some of my 1st jobs that gave me the work ethic, confidence in my abilities, leadership and experience that lead to better jobs and ultimately a successful career.

1st Job: 12/63 thru 5/64 (in high school)..Ricky's Drive-In, Scottsdale, AZ at 90 cents per hr

5/64 thru 9/67....many jobs, i.e. fash food, mow lawns all summer, bussboy, waiter, roach coach, Circle K, picked cantelopes in Yuma (jun-aug) lodged at POW encampment.

Melody a girl friend of mine at the time cleaned motel rooms for spending money. She ended up forming a company Melody Maids and bragged to her father when her gross earnings exceeded $1m/year.

These were jobs that today are routinely jobs taken by people not legally in this country. In my area there are few jobs for high school kids in the summer or as part-time jobs during the school year. That's my only gripe with this immigration issue. If we do not invest in our kids future by allowing them a better opportunity to find a job early in their career we are mortgaging their future earnings capacity not to mention their feelings of self worth. I talk from personal experience on this statement.

Let the other countries take care of there own instead of blaming the USA for not taking better care of them. Why is it our responsibilty to look after people who purposely break our laws and take jobs our kids need for their betterment in society?

Dennis

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by Lobsterman]
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
Why is it our responsibilty to look after people who purposely break our laws and take jobs our kids need for their betterment in society?

Exactly who gives those illegal aliens those jobs that US kids could be doing? Why aren't you angry at them?

(pumped gasoline in 1960 @ 25 cents an hour)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 04:46 PM

From this week's New Yorker
[img][/img]
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:33 AM

Return after just doing seasonal work??? Well, if 12 million are now here after Regan let 4 million have the free wave of the magic stick of US citizenship, then I really do not see the seasonal work issue sticking,LOL. USA is a great Country and everybody wants it, needs it, and seeks it just need to fix it so everybody doesn't sink the boat. Whether you believe it or not our boat will not float with too many regardless of where they come from. Now, tell me when has Mexico waved that magic stick to give US citizens living in Mexico the same right to their citizenship which Mexico guards so closely? The same Mexico that then screams at USA for doing its enforcement to get some kind of possible handle on this illegal immigration issue. Ah, live is sweet but again our boat will not keep floating with adding too many from all of these Countries wanting what America has. I also do not want to keep having my taxes raised again and again like in California to pay for the extra services for all of the people "Coming To America Today." Let those that need it want it and seek it do it in legal way to which our USA recognizes then I just will get stuck with the bill for added services for add-ons that at least obeyed our laws. Just ask yourselves what would Mexico do with you if found living,working,marching against their government actions on immigration,demanding services no matter the cost and least we say housing too??? Later and Let Life Smile On All Of You Today, bajafun777
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
USA is a great Country and everybody wants it, needs it, and seeks it

ummm...sorry amigo....I got news for ya...not EVERYBODY wants it, needs it or seeks it.

But I sure agree about fixing it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 08:22 AM

Sorry Sheri hate to burst your bubble but far more wants it, needs it and seeks it over any other Country just the facts nothing but the facts,LOL. Some may venture away for a while but all come home to USA sooner or later "Just The Way It Is." No other Country has as many people trying to immigrate in as the USA look at the facts nothing but the facts. Fixing it means keeping USA from going bankrupt and us paying for it taxed out of our homes. Let the USA just adopt the same immigration rules as Mexico across the board sound fair???? :saint::light::lol: Later-----------bajafun777
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 08:45 AM

hey FUn....I agree that many want it, needs it and seeks it but you said EVERYONE...hate to burst your bubble but I sure know LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people who dont...on both sides of your borders.
oh yeah and ALL do not come home sooner or later...there are LOTS of americans living in canada and abroad who will NEVER go "home". Just the the facts maam er...sir.

Mexicans would be ecstatic if the immigration rules were the same as Mexico...it's easy as pie to get a work visa here and getting easier all the time. Ooops forgot to get your tourist or work visa...no problema...paga la multa and your good to go.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 08:57 AM

Arizona gov. signs bill targeting ethnic studies

By JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press Writer Jonathan J. Cooper, Associated Press Writer – Wed May 12, 6:23 am ET
PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.

Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

Brewer's signature on the bill Tuesday comes less than a month after she signed the nation's toughest crackdown on illegal immigration — a move that ignited international backlash amid charges the measure would encourage racial profiling of Hispanics. The governor has said profiling will not be tolerated.

The measure signed Tuesday prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

Horne, a Republican running for attorney general, said the program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race. He's been trying to restrict it ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta told students in 2006 that "Republicans hate Latinos."

District officials said the program doesn't promote resentment, and they believe it would comply with the new law.

The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

About 1,500 students at six high schools are enrolled in the Tucson district's program. Elementary and middle school students also are exposed to the ethnic studies curriculum. The district is 56 percent Hispanic, with nearly 31,000 Latino students.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

"It's a highly engaging program that we have, and it's unfortunate that the state Legislature would go so far as to censor these classes," he said.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman didn't directly address the UN criticism, but said Brewer supports the bill's goal.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

Arce could not immediately be reached after Brewer signed the bill late Tuesday.

Copied from Associated Press.

My only question is what comes next book burning?
Is history condemed to repeat itself?

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:53 AM
The U. N. ?

That's the organization that condemns Arizona and embraces Human-Rights champions such as Libya and Iran along with Totalitarian Dictatorships like Cuba and Venezuela.

The U.N. is the biggest collection of International Thugs in one place on Earth. Their "Peace-Keeping forces" are both Incompetent and morally bereft. The biggest bunch of Rapists around. The U.N. should be exiled from the U.S. and the buildings leveled so that no memory remains.

It's no wonder that the Liberals love the U.N. It's EXACTLY their kind of Huge, Bumbling and Intrusive Bureaucracy attempting to control every aspect of human activity to their vision.

BURN the U.N. Down.
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:03 AM

Please review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_j4c7Bop0&feature=relat...

Link from youtube.

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by Mexicorn]

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:11 AM

Also one of Gov. Jans favorite tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFQdNS_AgMg&feature=relat...

Copied from youtube.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

After 50 years, I'm still traumatized by the lack of a Jewish studies program in my all Christian public school. My parents actually had to take up the burden. The horror. :rolleyes:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 10:52 AM

Yea, and what about the Scotch-Irish/German studies? My self-esteem is at risk and my identity is threatened. No one will learn of my rich heritage. Maybe a counselor could help?:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Yea, and what about the Scotch-Irish/German studies?

A visit to the local bar for lots of German beer followed by dozens of Irish whiskey shooters should do the trick.

And don't forget not to tip. :rolleyes:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 12:35 PM
The Disappearing Boycott ?

As the FACT settles in that canceling contracts and contacts with Arizona in a fit over a law that hasn't taken effect and specifically rules out bias and discrimination in enforcement, many cities, including Los Angeles are rethinking their stand on Lunatic Principle. Agencies directly involved in those contracts are warning against the possible illegality of canceling those contracts and the adverse economic effect on Los Angeles if they are.

While still remaining indignantly outraged and principled, the lawmakers are inserting into their resolution language words like "Where Practical" and "Where it doesn't create economic loss to the City".

Principles and Politicians.

An Oxymarooon ? Dealing with marooons.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 12:46 PM

Dave, What's a "tip"?:lol:
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 01:48 PM

Please read on if you still dont think AZ Gov. Jan Brewer is a race baiter trying to sink that state. I have to ask myself when the state sanctioned book burnings on the steps of the State Capitol are going to take place.

I copied this from the LA times-

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law

Gov. Jan Brewer signs the bill that bans schools from teaching classes designed for students of a particular ethnic group. School districts may appeal the law, which becomes effective Dec. 31.
Related
Residents defend Arizona after immigration law
Both sides in Arizona's immigration debate use crime argument
First lawsuits filed to challenge Arizona illegal-immigrant law
Stories
Calls to boycott Arizona grow over new immigration law
By Nicole Santa Cruz, Los Angeles Times

May 12, 2010

A bill that aims to ban ethnic studies in Arizona schools was signed into law Tuesday by Gov. Jan Brewer, cheering critics who called such classes divisive and alarming others who said it's yet another law targeting Latinos in the state.

The move comes less than 20 days after Brewer signed a controversial immigration bill that has caused widespread protests against the state. The governor's press office did not return requests for comment Tuesday evening.

HB 2281 bans schools from teaching classes that are designed for students of a particular ethnic group, promote resentment or advocate ethnic solidarity over treating pupils as individuals. The bill also bans classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

The bill was written to target the Chicano, or Mexican American, studies program in the Tucson school system, said state Supt. of Public Instruction Tom Horne.

» Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox.

School districts that don't comply with the new law could have as much as 10% of their state funds withheld each month. Districts have the right to appeal the mandate, which goes into effect Dec. 31.

Tucson Unified School District officials say the Chicano studies classes benefit students and promote critical thinking. "We don't teach all those ugly things they think we're teaching," said Judy Burns, the president of the district's governing board.

She has no intention of ending the program, which offers courses from elementary school through high school in topics such as literature, history and social justice, with an emphasis on Latino authors and history. About 3% of the district's 55,000 students are enrolled in such classes.

Horne has been trying to end the program for years, saying it divides students by race and promotes resentment. He singled out one history book used in some classes, "Occupied America: A History of Chicanos," by Rodolfo Acuna, a professor and founder of the Chicano studies program at Cal State Northridge.

"To begin with, the title of the book implies to the kids that they live in occupied America, or occupied Mexico," Horne said last week in a telephone interview.

Also last week, Augustine Romero, director of student equity in the Tucson school district, said it now had become politically acceptable to attack Latinos in Arizona.

Ethnic studies are taught at high schools and colleges nationwide, but the Tucson district officials say their 14-year-old program is unique because it's districtwide, offered to grades K-12, and can satisfy high school graduation requirements.

In Los Angeles, more educators have been attempting to build curriculums, teaching lessons or units in ethnic studies, especially with the growth of charter schools in the area, said Maythee Rojas, the president of the National. Assn. of Ethnic Studies. "I don't think it's uncommon anymore," she said.

In Tucson, the program is supported by a court-ordered desegregation budget, and is part of the district's initiative to create equal access for Latinos.

Board member Mark Stegeman said he believes the board needs to consider the program carefully and whether the courses, as taught, violate the new law. Perhaps an external audit could be done to assess that, he said.

Ethnic studies courses are sometimes controversial because people believe the programs are attempting to replace one voice with another, Rojas said.

The Tucson district plans to double the number of students in Chicano studies in the upcoming school year, said Sean Arce, the director of the program. Arce said that now that the bill has become law, he's waiting for direction from the district's legal department.

My Comment-
Arnold who's father was a brown shirt wont even stand behind dim wit Brewer on this one. way to sink your state Gov. Brewer-

My comment- Arizona's full of Mexican haters:fire:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 01:56 PM
Who's ?

Yoo Hoo ! You All.

That's WHOSE, not Who's.

BTW, LATEST Pew Research Poll shows approval at 73 percent NATIONWIDE.

THAT'S a Lot of Haters. Are the Hispanics in favor "Self-Haters" ? How about the Blacks in favor ? Bunch of Haters, there ?

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by MrBillM]
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 02:08 PM

Mr. Bill M, are you or have you ever been a member of the Arizona Minute Men or any gun toting, chaw spitten, cousin marryin or-gan-i-zation ?

And Sorry about the mis-spelling. I didn't know we were in a spelling bee.

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 02:57 PM

Boycott Arizona!
Copied from youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G3kZB1sz1s&feature=playe...

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by Mexicorn]

Pages:  1  ..  34    36    38  ..  60

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.