Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:30 PM

OXXO,

Hospitals are cold in ORs, ICUs and ERs for the comfort of the staff who usually are overdressed. Most of the patients are freezing or sedated. Even then the staff often goes outdoors if it’s warm and sunny. And before someone asks, I worked in those places for about 10 years.

On the subject of climate control. In a well insulated structure mid 70’s at 50% humidity is healthy, but the number of timed the air exchanges per hour is also important and should be 4 to 6 times depending on the number of people and the activity. There is also an issue with VOCs (things you can smell or sometimes not) most of these important things are not addressed except in the very best of new construction. All the current talk about gas appliances is simply the tip of that “iceberg” fumes from gas appliances are also VOCs.

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Its true people survived to old age in the past in hot climates without AC, but old age was also a couple decades younger than present. I will accept AC as a necessary evil if it contributes to people living 20 years longer.

@JD, AC has nothing to do with it. A healthy diet and lots of exercise (walking is recommended for old people like us - not golf, tennis, or pickle ball) is required if you want to live 20 years longer. Some of the longest lived people live in hot climates with no AC and no cars (been there, done that) Since I have a dog, we walk together 5 miles a day, pretty much 7 days a week. My doctor says I am going to live into my 100's. And in coastal California, where I have my primary residence, there is rarely a need for AC even though the average ambient temperature is creeping up each year and I can acclimate to small increasing temperatures each year.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Its true people survived to old age in the past in hot climates without AC, but old age was also a couple decades younger than present. I will accept AC as a necessary evil if it contributes to people living 20 years longer.

AC a necessary evil? Is it really necessary? AC used to extend life span may be “unnecessary” for some. What is necessary?

Increase in life span causes increase in carbon footprint. A logical argument may be made that the climate would be better off if people only live as long as necessary to procreate and raise kids until they can live on their own.

Extra lifespan perhaps is just indulgence, eh?

Just saying….

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:44 PM

Lions, tigers and goats oh my!

Do feel free to lead your campaign from the front and by example!

FYI low here was 58F last night the solar heat pumps in the heat mode rather than burning propane or natural gas for heat.

[Edited on 6-10-2024 by RFClark]
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Hospitals are cold in ORs, ICUs and ERs for the comfort of the staff who usually are overdressed. Most of the patients are freezing or sedated. Even then the staff often goes outdoors if it’s warm and sunny. And before someone asks, I worked in those places for about 10 years.

And cold in waiting rooms, exam rooms, everywhere, etc. I stand by my explanation why things are cold in medical facilities. And before someone asks, my youngest daughter is a Doctor and so is her husband (met as interns).

Quote:
On the subject of climate control. In a well insulated structure mid 70’s at 50% humidity is healthy, but the number of timed the air exchanges per hour is also important and should be 4 to 6 times depending on the number of people and the activity. There is also an issue with VOCs (things you can smell or sometimes not) most of these important things are not addressed except in the very best of new construction. All the current talk about gas appliances is simply the tip of that “iceberg” fumes from gas appliances are also VOCs.

The temperature inside a structure has nothing to do with it other than, in general and there are a few exceptions, "germs" have a more difficult time surviving in a colder environment.

I do agree with you that gas ranges (and appliances) are a health hazard on a number of different levels.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
A logical argument may be made that the climate would be better off if people only live as long as necessary to procreate and raise kids until they can live on their own.

Ahhhhh @Goat, you wanna take all the extra fun out of it? :lol: I think there is a better way for all of us to live longer, posting to our heart's content, while still leaving this place a better place than we found it.....if we are only willing to embrace and welcome change....and we'll bring @TioLoco along with us, kicking and screaming in protest! :lol:
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 01:57 PM

Goat, that reminds me of a futuristic novel I read where everyone had all their teeth extracted at about the age of 12 when all their adult teeth had come in, replaced with a full set of implants. Aside from doing the implants, it meant that no one ever had to go to the dentist again. :lol:
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 04:13 PM

WELL, according to this study, 5 million people per year still died because they failed to adjust to changing temperature, hot and also cold. We now have the availability of technology to provide moderated temps through AC units to provide both cooling and heating and here in BC the government is distributing free units to those most affected to prevent a repeat of the 2021 1 week event. Our over 500 extra deaths that week over 2/3 of which were seniors over 70 could have easily been prevented if those people just had access to a cooler environment. In our case, our family came up here and stayed with us as their babies were in extreme heat stress taking advantage of our AC.
https://news.emory.edu/stories/2021/07/climate_change_heat_r...

[Edited on 6-10-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-10-2024 at 04:19 PM
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 04:33 PM

We can now add climate change to economics, and escaping corruption and crime, as reasons for migration.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 04:38 PM

Goat does have a very commonly held point of view. According to demographers, by 2080 we will pass the population growth peak and the already under replacement birth rates will overcome the increasing life expectancies and global population will be in decline, seniors will be a huge burden on the working class and resentment will grow. Japan, Greece and a few other countries have already seen these trends.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 04:43 PM

JD,

Words from government to live by. “For as long as the sky is blue and the Buffalo roam! Used in connection with things promised by government.

BTW seen any Buffalo roaming lately?

Put differently does getting your medical care and pension from those who would be better off if you were dead bother you at all?

[Edited on 6-10-2024 by RFClark]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
6-10-2024 at 05:16 PM
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 05:33 PM

RFClark: And so we look after ourselves, save, invest wisely and refuse to rely on promises that the government has our back. And yes Surabi, we can also move to countries where the surpluses of working people still exist and our retirements can be accomplished within our saved means. In Canada and Western Europe, we must rely on increasingly large numbers of immigrants, and we are seeing how that's being accepted globally in Europe right now. In BC in Canada right now, fully 1/3 of the population is hoping to migrate out of the province as they can no longer afford to live here due to rapidly increasing costs.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
A logical argument may be made that the climate would be better off if people only live as long as necessary to procreate and raise kids until they can live on their own.

Ahhhhh @Goat, you wanna take all the extra fun out of it? :lol: I think there is a better way for all of us to live longer, posting to our heart's content, while still leaving this place a better place than we found it.....if we are only willing to embrace and welcome change....and we'll bring @TioLoco along with us, kicking and screaming in protest! :lol:

Some people should be left behind!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 05:52 PM

Yep, there are definitely people I would hate to have in the lifeboat with me.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:15 PM

Yes, there are the carpers, the goats and the rowers! It’s worth remembering that after the Bounty Mutineers put Bligh and the non-Mutineers over the side. Bligh sailed them in an open boat over 4,000 miles to safety and the mutineers managed to burn and sink the Bounty!

[Edited on 6-11-2024 by RFClark]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:25 PM

I was thinking more of the self-concerned, who would push others out of the lifeboat so they didn't have to share the little bit of food and water that was left.
And those with zero sense of humor.

[Edited on 6-11-2024 by surabi]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:32 PM

S,

Those people fly to their important meetings in biz jets and never get into lifeboats. Those you want to be in the boat with are those who don’t give up and can improvise! Capt Bligh as an example.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Yep, there are definitely people I would hate to have in the lifeboat with me.

Yup, i thoroughly agree
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:49 PM

Airplanes sometimes fall out of the sky, or catch fire on the ground. There are those who would shove others out of the way to get to the emergency exits first and those who would try to help others get to safety.

The ability to improvize and not give up are important in an emergency situation, but so is cooperation and the ability to find some humor in devastating circumstances, which can help the people who are panicked to calm down and do what is necessary to try to survive.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2024 at 06:52 PM

Someone back a bit mentioned the natural cooling effect of underground structures. I shared a brief ferry ride with someone from Coober Pedy and he told me about their underground living in extreme heat conditions in Aussieland. Might be something to think about copying if temps continue rising globally as we adapt. Anyone have similar experiences to share?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBwXyF1UuI

Note even they are reliant on solar and wind power. 100 yr old adaptations can still use some new tech to improve lives now and then.

[Edited on 6-11-2024 by JDCanuck]

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.