BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: A Recommended Tire for My Use... See what I decided on... (11-08 update)
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitanNow you are saying that the pressure you used on the BFG's is not enough for the Coopers that would lead me to beleive that the Cooper Sidewalls are not as stiff (strong) and by the way my BFG's call for a tire pressure of 50lbs but have sttled on 45 for Hwy.

When you say your BFG?s call for a tire pressure of 50lbs. ? you are likely referring to the pressure required to achieve the maximum load rating of the tire. Unless you intend to roll a vehicle that weighs as much as the maximum load rating of the tires, the 50 psi listed is very different from the actual pressure you will want to use for your normal street pressure. The recommended tire pressures for an OEM size tire on an OEM weight vehicle can be found in a typical car owner?s manual, or often on a decal located on the door jamb. This is the pressure that should be used for a point of reference. In the event that you change to a heavier gross vehicle weight, and/or a larger tire size, or a different tread type, load rating, etc. then you can adjust the OEM recommended pressures as necessary.

I think what David is experiencing with running a higher pressure on his new Cooper STT?s vs. his old BFG A/T?s is quite natural. (I doubt the sidewalls on the Coopers are less strong than the BFG?s. They are 3-ply and utilize a cross-angled ply construction to increase the strength.) With my old BFG A/T's I would run them at 32 psi. Since the lugs on a tire like the Cooper STT's are bigger and have a softer compound, they add more rolling resistance (and consequently worse fuel economy), so I run a bit higher pressure with these types of tires. If you run a pressure higher than necessary (like the pressure stamped on the side of the tire) then you will get uneven treadwear (center will wear while outers will not) less road contact, and the ride will be cruddy. On the flip-side, too low of a pressure will result in increased sidewall wear, possible cupping of the tread, excessive heat, and poor fuel economy.

Here is one method of determining a good pressure for street driving: http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/onroadtireguide.ht...

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 04:27 PM

Taco

Thanks for the info and the website very informative, If someone goes into it they should go into home many sections very helpful.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 05:47 PM

Thank you so much Chris... This is of great help to myself and other Nomads!

The answer rates right up there with the quality of your web site http://www.bajataco.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roverdude
Sure these are the best. But what is the retail price?

about $365 ea for the 33x10.50's, I don't pay nearly that much. I get them from BFG through their motorsports program. When I started running the BAJA's I was simply running to hard for a DOT tire The Baja's have a seven ply sidewall. To answer your question I could not afford to run these on the street. The XJ in the pic will be a trailered rig after its current reincarnation.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 07:28 PM

Hey, you are welcome guys, glad I could help.

Thanks for the compliment on the website David ;)

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 02:04 PM
Great post to follow!

I must say, David, I am really surprised how little treadwear you got on those original BFG tires. Looks like they would be gone in 30k.

I run my tires very close to their max rating on the hwy., usually about 5psi from the max. They ride stiffer but they last much longer. Then, IF they tend to be wearing more in the center, I will let a little more out to slow the center wearing down.

My experience has been that I get longer treadwear from running tires at/near max pressure (and discarding when the center gets too thin) than running them at an even-wearing pressure.

I like the Michelin LTX MS (load range E); it appears I will get nearly 50k miles on a 1 ton truck with about 70% driving with a 2500lb Lance on the back. Very quiet on the road. REALLY IMPRESSED! But I clearly do little off hwy driving with all that weight.

About 165/tire for a 265/75/16.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 12:50 PM

Something else to look at in tires.

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 08:36 PM
No more Cooper Discoverer STTs on my truck...

Well the front pair were replaced a couple months ago and had 32,000 miles on them. The back pair I replaced yesterday and they gave me 38,000 miles... All in all, not bad for a mud tire!

The new tires are TOYO Open Country A/Ts (from Express Tire, same place I got the Coopers).

Here's my evaluation of the Cooper Discoverer STT tire...

GOOD POINTS

1) They looked great... real beefy off road look and had a true 3 ply sidewall. Made in the USA.

2) Never got a flat or lost any air. I did find a rock cut and some steel was poking out and that is why I replaced the front pair at 32,000 miles.

3) Excellent in mud and rocks... Laguna Salada wet was no problem and neither was the road to Mision Santa Maria.

BAD POINTS

1) NOISY as Hell!

2) Terrible in sand unless pressure lowered to 10 PSI. I nicknamed them 'gravediggers' the first time on Shell Island with them! Once lowered to 10 PSI then they were fine... other tires I have used required lowering to just 20 to 15 PSI to float well.

3) No warranty for mileage... However, at 32-38K miles, they still did better than BFG Rugged Trails that came with the Tacoma (replaced at 24K).

TOYO is now on the TOYOta... and I will give a full report at any event or when they get replaced!

By the way, my '05 Tacoma just turned 2 years old this month and has 63,000 miles on it! Oh, what a feeling!:yes:

As reported when they came up, the only issues I had was noisey brakes when it was just a few months old, but ended with new pads... and the soft rear suspension which I am modifying with bigger shocks and air bags...

No motor or drivetrain issues at all... love it!:bounce:

[Edited on 8-25-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 08:42 PM

Welcome to da club! I could probably squeeze another 10 k outta these M/Ts but I think I'll not wait. About the same as you David, 38k on these Toyos.

btw, those ATs are the quietest "big tire" I've ever owned David. Low noise and good wet weather adhesion. But as for traction the MTs are a world better.

[Edited on 8-24-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:48 PM

My Mexican-made Interco TrXus MTs are roughly at 30,000 miles, and I will probably replace them within the next 5,000 miles due to some alignment issues which put a huge dent in the treadlife of the front axle tires. My next set of tires will be the 34" TrXus MTs because they are great on the rocks/sand/wet pavement, offer a smooth ride, and the sidewalls are virtually bulletproof. David K - you should have given these a chance! :light:

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for the updates guys. It's always fun to see what people are using and what they're experiences are.

David, good luck with the Toyos. I think you'll be happy.

Congrats on 2 successful years! Next month will make 10 years for my trusty Tacoma.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 11:17 AM

I just put Toyo Open Country ATs on my Frontier. I ran over some hunk of metal that ruined one of the BFG Long Trail TAs, and they had 34000 miles on them so I needed to make a quick choice on new tires or run without a spare.

I've used Coopers for years, but was put off by DK's assesment that they were noisy. Although I almost went with the Michelens. :)

Another factor: the Nissan I just bought with 34000 miles had an optional feature we had overlooked. Each wheel had a special lug nut that needed a special wrench, as an anti-theft device. But no such wrench was sold with the truck. My Cooper dealer said they could not remove the wheels, nor could the Nissan dealer. Les Schwabe removed, and replaced, all four of the pesky (and unwanted) nuts for free. Nice. And I liked their Toyos and bought them.

But unfortinately I could not hold out long enough to get Free Beef with my tires.:lol:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 04:27 PM

Don Alley--------

I have a 2007 Nissan X-terra "off road" model with those anti-theft lug nuts. The tool for their removal was/is packed with the jack under the rear seat in mine, and it is hard to see.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Don Alley--------

I have a 2007 Nissan X-terra "off road" model with those anti-theft lug nuts. The tool for their removal was/is packed with the jack under the rear seat in mine, and it is hard to see.

Not mine. The previous owners (fleet operation) apparently removed it from the car.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
Thanks for the updates guys. It's always fun to see what people are using and what they're experiences are.

David, good luck with the Toyos. I think you'll be happy.

Congrats on 2 successful years! Next month will make 10 years for my trusty Tacoma.

Yup, 2 years with the '05 four door and 5 years of outstanding performance with my '01 xtra cab 2 door Tacoma... That's 7 happy Baja proven Toyota years for me!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 05:42 PM

Okay... another set of tires tried!

The Toyo Open Country A/Ts have been replaced... Although there still was many miles of tread left, the amount was getting pretty low for secure off road and 'flat proof' driving. In fact, I picked up a screw somewhere and noticed it at Bahia Santa Maria... the leak was tiny and it didn't need to be repaired before I got home.

The Toyos were purchased in pairs, 6,000 miles apart replacing the Cooper Discoverer STTs that were just way noisey (but looked so cool).

Even with 6,000 miles between them, they looked about the same with just over 22,000 miles on one pair and 28,000 miles on the other pair. This makes them no better on wear than the BFG Rouged Trails that came on the truck when new.

Time for a change... sort of:

Back to Cooper (the American made tire company) and this time with their Discoverer ATR truck tire...

So, here is a quick history of tires on my '05 Tacoma:

BFG Rugged Trails 0-25,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer STTs 25,000-60,000 (57K & 63K) miles

Toyo Open Country A/Ts 60,000 (57K & 63K)-85,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer ATRs: 85,000 - ?

So far, they are quiet on the road!

[Edited on 11-24-2008 by David K]

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 06:54 PM

We'll read about how you got stuck on shell beach, then what!!!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Okay... another set of tires tried!

The Toyo Open Country A/Ts have been replaced... Although there still was many miles of tread left, the amount was getting pretty low for secure off road and 'flat proof' driving. In fact, I picked up a screw somewhere and noticed it at Bahia Santa Maria... the leak was tiny and it didn't need to be repaired before I got home.

The Toyos were purchased in pairs, 6,000 miles apart replacing the Cooper Discoverer STTs that were just way noisey (but looked so cool).

Even with 6,000 miles between them, they looked about the same with just over 22,000 miles on one pair and 28,000 miles on the other pair. This makes them no better on wear than the BFG Rouged Trails that came on the truck when new.

Time for a change... sort of:

Back to Cooper (the American made tire company) and this time with their Discoverer ATR truck tire...

So, here is a quick history of tires on my '05 Tacoma:

BFG Rugged Trails 0-25,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer STTs 25,000-60,000 (57K & 63K) miles

Toyo Open Country A/Ts 60,000 (57K & 63K)-85,000 miles

Cooper Discoverer ATRs: 85,000 - ?

So far, they are quiet on the road!

[Edited on 11-24-2008 by David K]

I just hate it when the spelling police can't spell. ie noisey, Rouged.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 12:26 AM

Baja place name spelling teacher, not police... I am totally friendly about teaching the correct way to spell places in Baja! ;D

Trying to spell English words correctly, all the time? Forget it!!! LOL:lol:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 08:37 AM

I replaced the BFG Rugged Trails on my 07 Tacoma at 15,000 with Cooper Discover ATRs and I have 27,000 (12,000 on the ATRs) and frankly it looks like they will get replaced at about 35,000-40,000, (15,000 to 20,000 on the tires). Then I'm back to BFG TA KO. I also don't like the ATRs traction in the snow compared to the TA KOs.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.