Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: mike humfreville has passed away
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 12:02 PM

It was Mike's postings on Fred's board and the Amigos board that first prompted me to share some of my Baja experiences. It's hard, for me at least, to reduce such complex things to words and to make those words reflect the nuances of real experience. I felt validated, in a sense, when Mike responded to my early and (in retrospect) clumsy post with praise and encouragement. The man had a beautiful way with words, matched with an acute perception of the world and the people around him. At the core, Mike's writings laid bare his almost heartbreaking longing for a life lived in the right proportions. I will miss his voice. As many of us have said, many times, thank you Mike, for sharing.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 12:15 PM

Tears; before and after...

I had never met Mike in person but that was definitely on my my near future agenda. His writings so impressed me that I wanted to spend time in his presence. His piece Singing (search his Nomad writings, see September 19, 2006), brought me to tears and I said so in that string. I am grateful for having been able to convey that to him. What character that story conveyed, and what a strong, wonderful woman Mary Ann is. The Love really shone through!

Mary Ann, my heart and tears go out to you. I wish you and your family strength to get through this and ultimately, peace.

Mike, I still hope to meet up with you when I take that journey. Perhaps then we will be able to reflect on this wonderful adventure that is Baja.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 12:33 PM

Deeply saddened by the loss of this wonderful writer and wonderful man.

We must do something permanent in his honor, when the appropriate time comes.

What a loss......
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 12:41 PM
Wow! What a shocker ...

To log in this morning and read this.

He left too early in life. He was so productive. I'm having a hard time reconciling with the fact.

A highly respected man he may have been the best on this board. You never saw a post of Mike's without reading it and pondering his message.

I wish I had met the man but in many ways I felt I knew him about as well as I knew anyone.

Wish he was still here. I had so many questions.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:09 PM

Sad to lose such a gentleman. Mike's writings brought us all closer to Baja and its people. Baja is a bit diminished now without him.
Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:11 PM
From Mary Ann, Concerning Mike

I´m so sad to let you know that my husband, Michael, passed away on November 5th in San Quintin. My sons and I are preparing to return Mike for burial in Bajia de Los Angeles, the place he loived the most. There will be a wake, a party to celebrate his life, some time in the near future. I will let you know where and when it will take place.

Thank you all for your condolences,
Mary Ann.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:27 PM

Mary Ann, I want you and your boys to know that Elizabeth and I are so very sorry for your familly's loss.... We are ready to assist you if we can. Let me know if we are needed and Baja Angel and I are on our way.

I have some words and memories to share, and was waiting for your post first, per your request.

We are so sad...

You and Mike included my children, Elizabeth and I into your family so many times the few years we knew each other... You came to every one of my events and helped make them wonderful.....

... I need to continue this later...

Please contact me if we can help...

HUGS from David & Elizabeth

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:49 PM

So sorry for your loss, Mary Ann and kids. Mike's contributions to this board will indeed be missed.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 01:57 PM

Mary Ann
Please accept my heartfelt condolences. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Pyramid book signing year before last.
All of us Nomads are here for you.
Judy

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:05 PM

Mary Ann,

When my younger sister passed too early, my mother found some solace in creating a scholarship in my sister's name. It is administered by the high school which she attended and awarded to an aspiring writer (as was my sister), for a writing seminar each year. It might be a great way to continue Mike's promotion of the written word.

Then again, as Mike has said, "our legacy is our children". With two wonderful sons as yours, Mike has already left a wonderful legacy.

Thank you, as well, for sharing your family and travels with us these past years. Mikes writings will be forever.

Deepest sorrow for your loss.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:11 PM

Mary Ann,

Paula and I met you and Mike at this years book signing. We were so glad that Mike made it up, as he was not expected to be there being such a short time since the accident. We had a brief chat with him, and shared some memories of our Baja experiences. When we purchased his book we asked if he would autograph it for us. In obvious pain he not only signed it but managed to write a heartfelt personal message as well. It impressed us both at the time. I'm sure this was typical behavior of the man. We are so sorry for your loss. I don't know what else to say.

Ken and Paula
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:15 PM

A few friends and I have named certain stars in the clear night skys of Baja after friends who have passed. We sit on the patio and toast them often...(all too often, my wife says!) A nice bright one is now named Mike Humpreyville...right next to Manuel. Salud, friend of Baja.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:23 PM

Hello Mary Ann,
I met both of you in BOLA in July of 2003. Juan and I were there for just a few days and you and your husband were next to David K and Travel Pearl. We met and spoke the night of the pot luck. I was the Mexican fellow that cooked the green chile and the chiles rellenos. I remember Mike and I will never forget him because he had a way about him that is unmistakable, a God given trait, a talent, a gift from the Lord that makes us warm and fuzzy inside. I recently read some of his articles and could see love exude from his inner most being. God is a God of Love and that is our purpose in life to learn to love. Baja offers that type of connection and I can see that for Mike like many of the Nomads, Baja was and is a place where we truly can here ourselves think and then we come to a realization that life is about loving. Loving those around you, love is about sharing, sharing with those you come in contact with. Love is long suffering and love is patient, ohh Mary Ann forgive me if I go on and on but the bottom line is you as well as Mike are a loving woman and Mike leaves behind nothing but a gift to us and that is his family. So I do offer my condolences but I more wish to come in contact with the Humfreville family for yet another great time in Baja one of these years.
In one of the articles I read that Mike wrote he said that all men should live life while leaving a legacy and making an impact in life. Then life would be worth living. You know I agree with him but it is the men that leave a legacy such as his that truly stays with you. For many men accomplish much but few know how to love and this man, Mike Humfreville knew how to love. He loved Baja, he loved the people in Baja, he loved the Nomads in Baja but most of all he loved his family. May the Lord have Mike in His Kingdom where we will meet again.

Mary Ann and Family, I pray the Lord bring peace and strength during your trying times, in the Name that is above all names I pray, Jesus the Christ, Amen.

God be with you and your family,
Alex L
SoCalAl

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:24 PM

Mary Ann and family,
Chris and I met you and Mike back at a BBBB in San Quintin and then our pathes crossed at one of the booksignings and again at a party in San Clemente. I have been reading (since 4baja's first post) everyday the heartfelt condolences that all the nomads are sending you. I have shed tears for your loss and the world's loss. Your husband was so loved, and I am so sorry that you lost him so unexpectedly. He will be missed by all. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Bajagato and Bajaddict ( Denise and Chris)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:29 PM
2 down - 1 to go

Last Summer I U2U'd with JR about stopping by to see him. We had occasional jousts on this board, but he was helpful in getting me connected to an orphanage and we really needed to sit down face to face and get better acquainted.

Last Spring my travel compatriot, Baja Vida, and I had planned to visit Mike H on our annual trip to LABay. Which got cancelled at the last minute, so we agreed that next March one of our priorities was to spend some time with Mike. Alas!!!

Now, as he points out in the forward to his new book "Think You Know Baja", Bernie emphasizes that while he and I have never met we do have a good friendship, and one day we need to get together.

Guess this makes it obvious..... keep putting off these meetings, and you will long regret it.

So- to Mike H, Rest in Peace, my friend I never met.

And- to Baja Bernie, let's figure out how to close this gap, and soon!!!
bajawife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 02:52 PM

My condolences to you and your family. You are in my thoughts.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 03:07 PM

MaryAnn,
Audrey and I had the priviedge to meet you and Mike during the President's day weekend 2004 Matomi run. Apart from his genius as a writer about his life events, which played as a movie in your mind, he was also attentive and incredibly considerate to all around him, an attribute not always found in high achievers. We are both shocked to learn of Mike's passing. Our thoughts are with you and your famliy during this difficult time.
Bob and Audrey H.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 03:38 PM

While I never had the opportunity to meet you or your husband, my deepest sympathies and condolences go out to you in this time of greiving. Mike's writings were (and still are) an inspiration to me. His passing is a terrible loss to all of us here on the Nomad board.

Peace be with you.

Andy

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 04:14 PM

i want to echo bajaandy's words.

i am very sorry we did not meet. mike's writings suggested he was a remarkably sensitive and gentle man with a shining inner strength. i am so sorry for your loss and for your boys' loss too.

lili
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2006 at 04:22 PM

Mary Ann and Sons, I am most sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and yours.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.