Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: FISHING - BAJA GEAR
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 06:01 PM
Dorado, here we come!

Those are great-looking fishing boats. And superb ideas and contributions on the dorado techniques. I know my fishing portfolio is getting some great additions and I am sure other interested fishermen are taking notes also. All the above posts sum up a vast amount of knowledge and experience...priceless to any novice.

We will note anything floating out there and take appropriate action. No corpses, we hope...whale or human! Plus keep an eye out for those circling or diving birds. I was also wondering if the tide schedule has any effect on open water fishing...as is the case with shallow water fishing? Moon phases, night or daytime, morning, afternoon, or evening? I know cold fronts kill most activity.

If the dorado congregate around floating things, why not throw out a bunch of jugs tied together to form a raft?..or whatever? Or wouldn't that work?..plus maybe it is illegal?..like baiting for certain wild game?

Which brings to mind another legal question: the limit and how to handle the catch.

(I see the limit for dorado is 2 per day per angler..which seems quite liberal as those fish run large. Other species are 5 fish total, I believe...like snapper and groupers. We will not be killing too many fish, except those we will consume for a coming dinner. For us, that means one nice fish.)

But, what if we want to give some fish to a friend? I seem to recall that you cannot fillet the fish on the water, but must retrain them whole?

A designated cooler with ice should handle that...or does anyone have some tips on keeping the catch fresh?

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 07:43 AM
A very large patty

My first encounter with this very special fish was on
the stern of a naval ocean going tug boat "ATF" while towing
three very large barges from Hawaii to enewetok atoll.

The boat became the perfect patty,at the time I had no idea what the attraction was but as I look back the big screw kicking up a fuss and our slow rate of speed,five knotts
made us a party not to miss by the locals and more joined by the day.

Dozens would show at a time,sharks came and went
we even saw a couple of bill fish show in the shadow amazing to watch,but nothing would compare to what was to come later,but thats another story!
BAITCAST
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus

A designated cooler with ice should handle that...or does anyone have some tips on keeping the catch fresh?

These fish show up when the water is about 78-80, I believe. At those high temperatures the meat goes bad real fast. The fish should be placed on ice within 20 minutes of being caught. I normally bonk the fish on the brain and remove the innards and place it on ice. Block ice (bought the night before) lasts better than crushed ice but you need to arrange your catch in the cooler so that the block doesn't slide around inside while the boat is moving. Otherwise your catch can be reduced to pulp.

If you're fishing on the pacific side you can get away without using ice. Just place the fish in a wet gunny sack. The water evaporation as the sack dries will cool the meat. Once it's dry, dunk it in sea water again and start the process all over.

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

we even saw a couple of bill fish show in the shadow amazing to watch,but nothing would compare to what was to come later,but thats another story!

I would like to hear that story, baitcast. BTW, did you fish Eiwetok atol? I'll bet the trevally fishing must be awesome over there.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 11:34 AM
Hey, Skipjack Joe.......

..........I wasnt aware that Neil Kelly was ever the Baja editor of WON. Are you sure you're not confusing him with Fred Hoctor?

On the fishfinder issue, I am another big believer in Furuno products. Their failure rate is so rare that I would not hesistate to get a combo unit, although the Garmins do seem better on the GPS side. I have personally never had one fail in about 20 years of ownership.

If you dont have to have color, it's amazing how good the Furuno LS-4100 is for the money. Amazing price point for a Furuno product. It does have fewer buttons that force you to go through more menus to make adjustments but it doesn have some kind of "menu memory" that returns you to the last sub-menu within each menu. Really, unless you are targeting structure deeper than maybe 400 feet, 300 watts is more than adequate. You wont get the discrimination of a 600w-1000w unit but that's not usually critical. Dual frequency.

Easy to find for 200.00 with a transom mount tri-ducer or a thru hull for about 40.00 more.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 01:26 PM

As I said above, Hook: Friends have told me that. I also said that I don't read the paper. Especially now with the internet.

I have never heard of Fred Hoctor until you mentioned the name.

I'll do some research. It might take some time.... Is this really so important?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
As I said above, Hook: Friends have told me that. I also said that I don't read the paper. Especially now with the internet.

I have never heard of Fred Hoctor until you mentioned the name.

I'll do some research. It might take some time.... Is this really so important?

Did I make it overly important? Not my intention. That's why I posed it as a question. I could be wrong, too.

Hoctor was a classic, though. Had a real knack for writing about the ironies of Baja.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 01:53 PM
Have sonar/gps

Two more fishing items checked off the list. A color sonar/fishfinder/gps combo from Lowrance with a dual transducer.

They have passed their trials with flying colors. The sonar's large 10" screen is a plus for me.

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Summanus]

- sonar gps -.jpg - 38kB

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

BAITCAST

SO, NOW WE NEED TO KNOW! PLEASE!:bounce:

[Edited on 13-11-2006 by FARASHA]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 02:25 PM

Whistler:

I just read your response. A little brash perhaps, but understandable. Between my wife and I, we are 118 years old. What we fish in we have to be able to push across the beach and into the surf. Our range is then limited by how much ocean we are willing to challange.

I'm bummed. All this time I though I was having a whale of a good time fishing! :lol:

[Edited on 11-13-2006 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 03:25 PM
Correction

Neil Kelly was not the editor of WON. Here's Kira's response to my inquiry:

Neil wrote up a couple of Baja trip reports for Western Outdoor News, but he
never did a regular column for them.

He did perhaps one or two-dozen bimonthly fishing columns for the Discover
Baja Travel Club newsletter called "Best Bets."

For several years, he edited, wrote for, and produced the Federal Employee's
Rod and Reel Club newsletter.

In the early 1980s, he talked to Western Outdoor News owner Burt Twilegar,
father of the present publisher Bob Twilegar, about editing an updated
version of Ray Cannon's book, The Sea of Cortez, but nothing came of that
meeting.

For several years, he taught his Baja fishing class for the adult night
education program at Coronado High School, Coronado, Calif., but as far as I
know, he only printed fishing maps for that class, no articles or columns.

There may have been more, but that's all I can recall.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 06:05 PM
baitfish?

Okay, I have lots of material on how to catch dorado with lures, feathers, looking for debris, etc.

How about if we decide to use live bait? What type fish make the best bait and how do we get them? We will have a large bait tank in the Whaler.

I have not heard of any bait shops in the East Cape area, Cabo san Lucas, or north through Loreto or Mulege. Might not this be a good business for someone to start?

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 06:49 PM

That is correct, you can usually buy macks from pangueros in areas such as the east cape. In Loreto area go to the marina in the morning (around 0600) and look for the guys with the cast nets. They can load you up pretty quick for around $20. In some areas you may see guys throwing cast nets from a panga along the beach. They can usually load you up with mullet (Lisa Fish?) My suggestion is that you never want to go to Baja without Sabikis. Head out before first light and follow the pangueros to where they are catching bait until you learn the area. Best to do this in the dark. It's just been my experience that once the sun comes up down there the bait shuts off. Don't know why that is but it seems that way. I can usually snag bait anytime of day here in SoCal.

What type of bait is dependent on what you are targeting. Macks are great for most anything with the jumbo models a treat for marlin. Larger Dorado seem to jump on bigeye scads and mullet are best for roosterfish. Sardinas get attacked by most anything.

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Alan]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 10:26 PM

Summanus,
Found this on another site that I thought you might enjoy. It applies to SoCal tactics but they are equally applicable.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/saltwater-fishing-tutorial...
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:26 AM
If Dorado are gone, then Yellowtail, Snapper..

Guys, thanks for the welcome baitfish info. After a little thought, and quite a few cold ones, we decided that, rather than trying to connect with the bait vendors, we are going to try catching our own bait, whether it is mackerel or bigeyes. Besides, it sounds like fun..catching bait in the wee hours with the panga fleet.

I researched those Sabikis and will add them to my tackle purchases...also weights and swivels to use with them. I have a nice lightweight rod/reel that I will keep rigged and use strictly for this purpose.

Alan, thanks for the that bloodydesks site. Was very informative about those kelp paddies and techniques.

My fishing compadre says he knows where the locals go to make their day's bait, and it's not too far from where we will be launching. We thought about making at least 5 or 6 baits per person?.. and keeping them healthy in the recirculating livewell.

We may have to go after other fish than dorado. I am concerned now that by the time we arrive and can get out fishing the dorado will have migrated out of the area. This leaves us to pursue other winter fish such as yellowtail, snapper, grouper, etc. Which suites me to a Tee..my wife and I love red snapper dinners.

I have been reading where a good method for the yellowtail is to use live bait either down deep with a egg-sinker or to 'fly-line' the live bait on the surface, letting the bait swim. Does anyone use this method?...or is casting or trolling a lure more effective? There also appears to be some controversy over the 'circle' hook?

Allcoast fishing says yellowtail are to be found more around rockpiles and are more 'structure' orientated. Which also seems to be a good place to be snagged or broken off, so I guess a metal leader should be used?

One item I have added myself...a bigger tackle box.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Guys, thanks for the welcome baitfish info. After a little thought, and quite a few cold ones, we decided that, rather than trying to connect with the bait vendors, we are going to try catching our own bait, whether it is mackerel or bigeyes. Besides, it sounds like fun..catching bait in the wee hours with the panga fleet.

I researched those Sabikis and will add them to my tackle purchases...also weights and swivels to use with them. I have a nice lightweight rod/reel that I will keep rigged and use strictly for this purpose.

Alan, thanks for the that bloodydesks site. Was very informative about those kelp paddies and techniques.

My fishing compadre says he knows where the locals go to make their day's bait, and it's not too far from where we will be launching. We thought about making at least 5 or 6 baits per person?.. and keeping them healthy in the recirculating livewell.

We may have to go after other fish than dorado. I am concerned now that by the time we arrive and can get out fishing the dorado will have migrated out of the area. This leaves us to pursue other winter fish such as yellowtail, snapper, grouper, etc. Which suites me to a Tee..my wife and I love red snapper dinners.

I have been reading where a good method for the yellowtail is to use live bait either down deep with a egg-sinker or to 'fly-line' the live bait on the surface, letting the bait swim. Does anyone use this method?...or is casting or trolling a lure more effective? There also appears to be some controversy over the 'circle' hook?

Allcoast fishing says yellowtail are to be found more around rockpiles and are more 'structure' orientated. Which also seems to be a good place to be snagged or broken off, so I guess a metal leader should be used?

One item I have added myself...a bigger tackle box.

5 pages! Wow! Fishermen sure can jaw.

All of the techniques you have described can be effective. It is all dependent on the fish and how they are biting each day and during the time you are fishing. Usually live bait is more effective than lures or jigs but not always. I've had many days when jigs out fish bait 5:1. You just need to pay attention to what the fish are keying on and adapt your tactics. If what you are doing isn't working CHANGE! I have seen lots of guys, myself included, miss opportunities because what they are doing worked YESTERDAY! Effective tactics can and do change throughout the day.

Yellowtail can hit anywhere! From the surface to 250". You'll find that most fish relate to structure in one way or another. That includes open water pelagics which is why we typically look for paddys and fish around seamounts. When targeting any fish, THINK FOODCHAIN. Fishing wire leaders help when chasing toothy critters but to use it to stop YT from sawing you off on rocks you might as well forget it. You'd probably have to be completely spooled with wire to be effective because if a YT has a chance to wrap you around anything they will and then your bait wouldn't swim naturally so you won't get bit in the first place. Just realize upfront that we all must make our personal sacrifice to the tackle gods if we want to catch fish. When fishing deep structure pin on a healthy mackeral and send it down on heavier line with your drags buttoned down. When it gets slammed get its head turned and keep it out of the rocks! I could be a big grouper just as easy as a YT.

There is a wealth of information out there that can help to shorten all of our learning curves. A book by Mark Wisch comes to mind - Into the Gray. It primarily deals with fishing Catalina Island but most of the information can be applied effectively in Baja. It focuses on targeting specific species. YT, Calico bass (cabrilla), White Seabass and Halibut. For Baja just consider it a great reference for inshore fishing.

Yes there is a huge controversy with circle hooks. They are particularly effective if you plan on releasing your fish. They are designed to catch the fish in the corner of the mouth. The number one rule though is DON"T set the hook. Allow the fish to set itself. When you swing on a fish with a circle hook you end up just pulling it out of its mouth. They can be effective when fishing depths because the fish don't spin off your line as easily when bringing them up. I don't like them as well for depth because I feel the fish, particularly grouper, get a chance to get back into their hole before I start pulling on them.

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Alan]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 11:22 AM

Spectra with a topshot, Alan, and you will feel them bite before they can get away.

I love circle hooks. I catch more fish, I damage fewer fish, I release more fish. I also retain more hooks as fish with some teeth are less likely to saw through the leader when the line is not exiting the front of the mouth.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 01:17 PM
Circle hook and bait rig..

Well ....hats off to the circle hook. They will have a special compartment within my tackle box. Do you guys favor the sliding egg-shaped sinkers or something else?

According to my reseach, the bait rig would be like this:

1. 30-40# mono about 48-60" long = leader line
2. black barrel swivel tied at rod end of leader
3. proper-sized Circle hook tied at other end(Palomar/blood cinch knot ok?)

...then slide an egg sinker down the tag end of pole line....then tie the tag end to the barrel swivel of the finished bait rig...letting the egg sinker settle against the barrel, which lets you feed out line when feeling a soft stike...or am I mixing this up?

...or, we could just tie the circle hook directly to the fishing line with no sinker, barrel or leader at all?...letting the live bait swim down with the reel in 'freespool'? I assume this is what is known as flylining.

We are now ready to impale some baitfish onto the Circle hook.

Where is the best place to hook the bait? Head, tail, or body?..while still keeping it alive.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Spectra with a topshot, Alan, and you will feel them bite before they can get away.

I love circle hooks. I catch more fish, I damage fewer fish, I release more fish. I also retain more hooks as fish with some teeth are less likely to saw through the leader when the line is not exiting the front of the mouth.

Spectra is something I have been meaning to try and you make an excellent argument for it. How do you make your connections to mono? I was looking at that Sato kit for it.

You are also right about the advantages of circle hooks. It is just going to take time for me to break old habits about setting the hook :lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Where is the best place to hook the bait? Head, tail, or body?..while still keeping it alive.

I was shown to slip the hook through the lower lip and then back to the tail. I was shown to use 2 heavy rubber bands to hold the hook to the fish near the tail and another to hold the leader between the dorsal and gills. I have see some guys use snap-ties instead of rubber bands but if you are rigging your baits in the boat, rubber bands are easier.

I AM open to suggestions as I have never landed as many as I KNOW I should. :lol:

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:42 AM

I been using circle hooks lately with good results, including using them for bottom fishing yellowtil in structure. I have some ringed hooks I'm playing with too. But there are pangeros here who insist circles are no good, and will insist that you change to a J hook.:biggrin:

Spectra: For short (15-25ft) topshots on my heavy bottom fishing outfits (40-60 lb) I tie a bimini to make a loop in the spectra, or, if the spectra is the hollow type, I splice a loop. I make my own topshots, mono inserted inide hollow spectra with a loop, and make a loop to loop connection and it all goes through the guides seemlessly. You can buy premade topshots, google BHP tackle. On lighter gear with spectra backing I use a uni knot splice.

Loreto Dorado: Last Friday we did OK. Lots of barrilete skipjack, too, that pull harder than the mostly small (under 20lbs) dorado. Yesterday was poor. Great weather, but we only got one small fish. I think Loreto's about done for dorado. Time for yellowtail soon.

Carolina Keepers: Little plastic do-hickies that slide on your line. Great for carolina rigs on light line, to maybe 30lb. I use swivels on the heavier stuff with the big baits. Most folks here use a mainline-torpedo sinker-leader-hook arrangement.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.