Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Active volcano in area of Asuncion
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
The internet is great! It brings out so much nonsense and unrelated information! This scientist greatly enjoys watching the misinformation unfold!
Cameroonians would agree with the advice to not trust La Paz! (but mexicans may want to put more trust in a scintist from La Paz, particulary, as he/she may know more than any of us savants)
David K says there is a lava flow just north of Ascunsion, but neglects to note that it is Quaternary, annd therefore could be over 2 million years old.
Somebody thinks the faults are "belching" stuff!
Personally, I think the rapture is about to happen,... or maybe that's the weed kicking in,....

you do a pretty good job of putting down everyones Ideas in your post , and make a big deal out of calling your self a scientist. but you don't offer any expert opinion's.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 09:33 PM

Stay calm, gents. It's a tough time for the folks in Bahia A. and it does no good for the folks in the box seats to be bickering about the referees or the score. Take a deep breath, let it out slow, and try to be helpful without being hurtful.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
............... box seats.......

That should read.......peanut gallery............? :biggrin::lol::smug:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 11:40 PM
Jimmy Buffett's got some good advice on his new CD...

...named "Jimmy Buffett - Take the Weather with you"

One of his new tunes is called 'Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on'

It includes some 'comment' about hurricane Katrina in the Gulf - good stuff, and my favorite line, other than the title itself, is,

"If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead
It will make you strong."

Here's all the lyrics.... written by Jimmy Buffett/Matt Betton - 2005 Coral Reefer Music & Vernon Dubusque Music.

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on...

I bought a cheap watch from the crazy man
floating down Canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe in Breathe out move on

And it rained
It was nothing really new
And it blew
We've seen all that before
And it poured
The earth began to strain
Ponchartrain
Leaking through the door
Tides at war

If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead
It will make you strong
Don't try to explain just nod your head
Breathe in Breathe out move on

And it rained
It was nothing really new
And it blew
We've seen all that before
And it poured
The earth began to strain
Ponchartrain
Buried the Ninth Ward
to the second floor

According to my watch the time is now
The past is dead and gone
Don't try to shake it just nod your head
Breathe in breathe out move on
Don't try to explain it just bow your head
Breathe in breathe out move on

...Jimmy sure knows how to warp words and notes! He's got another new one on the CD that's sure to be a 'classic', called "Everybody's on the Phone" about our obsession with our cell phones!..."Everybody's on the phone - So connected and all alone - from the pizza boy to socialite - we all salute the satellite...

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by Mexray]

palm tree dance.gif - 10kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 11:41 PM
Mixing Meta4's

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry

sticking your head in the sand and being a monday night quarterback helps no one

Jerry,

Uh, it might help the other team :lol:

Ged

Don't believe everything you think....
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2006 at 11:57 PM
Jimmy is good in my book

I like many of his lyrics too. Playing his cool Christmas CD at the restaurant tonight was fun. Good stuff. Seems attractive to all ages. Does he have a song about potential warning signs of impending natural disaster? i.e. "belching" :lol:

Ever eat at "Hamburguesa de Paradiso"?:cool:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 10:44 AM
"Hamburger" in Paradise.

Back in 91, we chartered a sailboat vacation with another non-sailing couple in the BVIs. We had the boat larder pre-stocked with all sorts of great foods and, during our sailing from Island to Island, we sampled all sorts of food at numerous great restaurants. At the end of the charter, we spent two days on Tortola seeing the sights. After sailing around for two weeks listening to Jimmy Buffett on the stereo, we stopped in downtown Roadtown at a small roadside cafe called "Cell 5" and ordered Hamburgers with French Fries. After two weeks, nothing was more delicious than that Hamburger. No Queso for me, though.

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by MrBillM]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:05 PM

Cheeze Burger

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 12:27 PM

Geothermal energy!! Tap into the steam and let nature do the rest.:light: Careful!;D
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2006 at 06:10 PM
OOPS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Cheeze Burger

Thanks Bruce

como se dice'?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Taco de Baja... I see two faults intersecting just a mile or two north of Shari's place and lava flow (?) on top of that... Oh great...

The quaternary basalt is very visible (dark brown) in Google Earth, can see depresssions in several places that appear to be relic vents.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:00 PM

North of town it looks clearly like a vent and flow to the South.

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666The quaternary basalt is very visible (dark brown) in Google Earth, can see depresssions in several places that appear to be relic vents.

No offense, but I have to ask: are you just blowing air, or do you have some professional expertise in this field?

--Larry

Well, since there are only about 1500 members of the International Association of Volcanology and Chemisty of the Earth's Interior in the entire world. I think our pick of experts here on Baja Nomads is going to be rather limited.

Before I get started I might add this disclamer: I am sure both volcanoes as well as Baja Nomad memebers have been known to blow "hot air".

However I think mtgoat666 my be on to something.

I took a few geology courses in my day and work for various geotechnical and civil engineering firms as a consultant; albeit, for construction projects. I am hardly a Volcanologist. But, from what I can see on Google Earth, the Mesa Punta de Auras north of town does have characteristics of an ancient volcanic flow. The only way to know for sure is to examine it first hand. But from google earth you can tell that the material that makes up the Mesa is darker in color than the surrounding soil.

Also, the mesa, by its very existance, appears to be more resistant to weathering and erosion than surrounding matterial. It appears to form a "cap" over softer material. A classic sign of an ancient volcanic flow.

If you look 10 to 15 miles to the east of the Mesa on google earth you will notice what appears to be a few conical dark areas around C. Santa Maria (Baja Almanac/Google Earth) One large cone and what appears to be about 4 or 5 smaller weathered cones. (Just south of the dirt road that runs NW to SW)

Thats just my hot air. But at least I took non-bonehead Geology courses in college and high school.

The facts are. The entire Pacific Coast is situated on the western edge or the "Ring of Fire". The ring is a hotbed of earthquakes and volcanic activity. Baja would still be attached to mainland Mexico if it were not for movement of these plates.

The Pacific Tectonic plate is currently subsiding beneath the North American Plate along the west coast of North America. Two results of this subsidence is volcanic activity and eathquakes. Things tend to happen slow in geology with the exception of two things: Earthquakes and Eruptions.

Having grown up in California and had a passion for climbing Volcanoes I have a little experience with both. They can be interesting for those of us afar; but, volcanoes and earthquakes can be dangerous and terrifying. My thoughts and feelings are with those who are troubled by these events. Hot air, or not. I hope and wish the best for all.

Listen to the real, "experts" if you can find them. Take everything else with salt, lime, and tequila. I would try a few calls and emails to the USGS to see if you can get any advice or answers. I have found little official current information on the web. The USGS did list a 4.5 and a 4.8 earthquake offsore in the last day at a depth of 6.2 miles. (Pretty shallow) I would imagine the USGS or a professor from a US University(or even at UNAM) would be interested about this if you could get past the recetionist at the front desk.

Good luck and take care.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 07:50 AM

SiReNiTa
I don't want to scare you or anything but I don't think your mother just moving a couple miles from ground zero is enough. if everything you and her have been reporting is correct things are steadily getting worse the ground is moving more and the earth quakes are getting stronger. that means you are not getting after shocks. your are getting for shocks of a larger event. a 6 something for shock is nothing to stick around for. when you talk to your mother on the phone tell her to forget the animals and come to you so you don't need to worry

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666The quaternary basalt is very visible (dark brown) in Google Earth, can see depresssions in several places that appear to be relic vents.

No offense, but I have to ask: are you just blowing air, or do you have some professional expertise in this field?

--Larry

I got a bit of professsional expertise in geology. But in this case, I have never been to the location, and all I've done is compare the geologic map and the Google Earth air photo. The guys from La Paz will figure it out (despite people trash-talking the La Paz scientists, I happen to think they are some pretty savvy guys and will figure out what's been shaking)
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 10:58 AM

"Something that's surprised me in this thread is the scarcely-veiled contempt for Mexican professionals and the presumption that the experts from the U.S. should be stepping in here with the Asunción situation. I share the distain for bureaucrats of any country, but am really puzzled by this lack of respect for the Mexican scientific community... by folks who I suspect in our majority have had no direct contact with it."

It seems to be one of our negative "cultural differences"-- our lack of confidence and trust of all sorts of people here. We bring building materials and appliances from the states, go north to see a doctor, and now need the USGS to expain what is happening in Asuncion.
And we wonder why we are peceived as bein arrogant!:spingrin:

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 11:14 AM

sorry for seeming arrogant im just calling a spade a spade
when the so called professionals show up from LaPaz and say its perfectly safe when there is no way that they can even know whats going on
i think it speakes for its self making a statment befor the information is gathered is arrogant and down right dangerous it would have been safer if they had said nothing ppl respond to professionals and trust in them so now im sopost to say ok guys you were wrong once well give you another chance?? its not a matter of being wrong its a matter of giving people false informtion that could have killed them

jerry and judi
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 12:06 PM
Arrogant? Who

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
sorry for seeming arrogant im just calling a spade a spade
when the so called professionals show up from LaPaz and say its perfectly safe when there is no way that they can even know whats going on

Your first obligation when responding to a disaster or potential disaster is to not CREAT A PANIC. The second thing you need to do is "try" to assess what's going on. NOT EASY.
The third thing you need to do is have the army or equivalent on hand before you evacuate for obvious reasons.
I think this process went OK and I might add that there are brilliant scientist that also happen to be Mexican. I know one personally who is working in Paris right now. Maybe Washington D.C. should pay attention. Or was the Katrina evacuation so brilliant.

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 12:08 PM

Gee...maybe the La Paz "experts" consulted with the USGS before arriving?!?
Considering that most vulcanologists throughout the world probabaly go through the USGS at some point in their carreers, it's not an erroneous assumption that any type of analysis would also go through there.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 12:16 PM

santa rosallilitta:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

enough said of ingenuity and expertise?

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.