Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Farming Tuna
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 12:23 PM

Jeez! Wonder if anybody knows why the Japanese have to cross the whole Pacific Ocean to get quality fish?:rolleyes:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by Worldtraveller
Farmed fish = less healthy & less tasty to eat; likely to pollute waters; potential of disease among both farmed & wild fish.

I try to eat only wild fish caught in sustainable ways among sustainable populations.

And the price is too high to eat much anyway...which is why 95 percent of my fish intake is Tilapia now.:rolleyes:

Have you ever seen where Tilapia come from? :o I would sooner eat dog doo than Tilapia.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 04:15 PM

Yes, they net wild Tuna and then fattem them up for market. The feed is sardines, lots and lots of sardines.

3-4weeks ago they were moving a pen around, and ripped it open on a high spot. I sure wouldnt want to be the guy who was responsible for that one :O

I only eat wild caught fish also:biggrin:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 04:34 PM
Soupfin?? Theasher??

That's funny Frank. You can take this argument even farther with that photo. What do you know about sharks and their fate and success in the seas today? I would guess little.
You sure know how to make a point!:mad:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 05:07 PM

Actually, for being raised in whatever horrid waters, Tilapia tastes amazingly like...nothing...so it absorbs whatever flavors you bestow on it(and if you buy Chinese Tilapia it comes pre-spiced with melamine for free!). I also like the idea that Tilapia is about the most efficient fish(or animal) known. So instead of the feeding ratio of 10 to 1 for farm-raised salmon it comes out closer to 1 to 1 for Tilapia...or at least so I've read.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:09 PM

Well, can't contribute anything about the environmental aspect of this discussion, but as far as food goes, we have the Tuna from those pens in Ensenada served as sahimi here, and its absolutely delicious. I have tried other frozen tuna from other parts of the world, and its not as good.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Well, can't contribute anything about the environmental aspect of this discussion, but as far as food goes, we have the Tuna from those pens in Ensenada served as sahimi here, and its absolutely delicious. I have tried other frozen tuna from other parts of the world, and its not as good.

Only bluefin? Or yellowfin and albacore as I suspect?
It would be difficult for me to believe that the seiners would sail right past a big school of yellowfin. Albies? I heard they can't be netted because they're too skittish.
It's possible the albies could be hook caught and placed in luna tubes until they could be placed in the pens.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:37 PM

When I worked with the tuna canneries on Terminal Island (across the channel from San Pedro), the fishermen and cannery people always were excited when the got bluefin, in their opinion, the best.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:43 PM

My ayudante on the house used to work on the pens.........says only bluefin.

Another story he told is how one set of pens, 7 or 8 of them, lost 500 ton of bluefin to red tide. They towed the pens to outside water and dumped them, all dead. How could they let that happen? Red tide doesn't just sneak up on you. Jeezo, what a waste.
This happened 6 -7 years ago.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
When I worked with the tuna canneries on Terminal Island (across the channel from San Pedro), the fishermen and cannery people always were excited when the got bluefin, in their opinion, the best.

Bluefin is delicious and alot of un to catch. Anything 30lbs and up will really kick your tail.
But the meat is darker and reddish. It's rich and has a "beef" sorta taste like iron rich.
Both yellowfin and albacore are light in color and are fantastic.
I don't know why some people prize bluefin so highly. Betwwen yellow and blue I prefer yellow. Albacore is a completely different taste because of a higher fat content but still excellent.
Man, I hope we have a good San Diego season! I love catching those darn things.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:52 PM

Which one has most mercury?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Which one has most mercury?

Maybe that was mercury I was tasting not iron.
The biggest one will have the most mercury. He has eaten more baitfish so more mercury.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 07:10 PM

See "Collaring Tuna".:yes:Preparing tuna for the table has reached a new level.:tumble:
Frank
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 09:23 PM

Sharksbaja, thats a Male, Thresher. How much do you know? Soupfin isnt even close my friend. Awesome on the grill. I take 1 per year, does that seem wasteful to you?

[Edited on 5-16-2007 by Frank]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:15 PM
There is a reason Frank

I am no shark expert though I do know a few things about sharks. Not too much really. Many sharks are not well understood. This is one of them. This shark is oophagous. This means the larger, stronger developing pups will eat their smaller, weaker siblings while in the womb. As a result, the thresher shark only gives birth to usually two, but no more than four pups at a time. Since sharks have two uteruses, there is usually one dominant pup in each uterus that eats the rest of the young.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Frank
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 10:29 PM

Sharks are one of my favorite fishes. I ve got them tattooed on my arms :biggrin: as do both of my brothers, so I do share your love for them. Nothing more amazing then to have a Mako come screaming up and rip your Yellowtail in half, or to see a Thresher tail whacking a school of mackeral. Seeing it brings to life everything you read about thier nature.

The population is rated to be in good condition, with a sustainable fishery. http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx...

Looks like I trolled up one more shark:spingrin: I hope to meet up with you someday.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 09:05 AM

Just for information:
A great Number of the small Airstrips built on the Baja Sur Coast, were built to pick up the Livers of the Sharks Harvested by the Mexican Fisherman in and around 1948.
The Livers were taken, the rest discarded with the Livers going to the States for Vitamins!

I agree 100% that the Threasher is the best tasting next to a Cabrilla.

Some of you may recall, that the First Fish and Chips places in California served Shark unobserved, until such time as they were required to Post a small Decal at the Entrance notifying the Customers that Shark was being used as Fish and Chips.

Sharks serve many Purposes: On several of my trips in my Airplane I had to clear Customs at Calixco. There was a Hotshot Customs Officer who would go through everything with a Fine Tooth Comb, so on one Trip I took a bunch of Small Sharks Teeth, kept them in the Hot Sun, then bagged them in Plastic. When the Hot Shot opened the Bag, he exited the Plane rapidly and never did bother with a Search thereafter!!!

Where there is Will, There is a Way!!!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 10:02 AM
Yea, I understand Frank...sorta

Years back when I lived on Catalina Is. I was enlisted every year to help catch and deliver a Mako for the USC Marine Science Associates BBQ & Luau. It was a big affair. The shark was the hit every year. Not only that but I was able to get up close and personal with a variety of sharks. Some ended up as table fare and I might add, were very good eating.
One of of fun things I would do for the kids was to take them down to the waters edge at Cat Harbor and wrestle a 50-60 pound Shovelnose by the tale in the shallow water. They tasted just like chicken. I've eaten shark more times than I can count amigo. I do know about eating them.

I met a young man from Australia who was a grad student from UCSD. He would hand capture nurse sharks freediving in the cove next to the science center and tag them with a transducer. He would then follow them around all night in a dinghy.:lol:

We got to be friends. His passion and love for sharks was overwelming. Today, Rocky Strong is a famous researcher and has made many documentaries for National Geographic and THe Discovery Channel. He is a die hard advocate of sharks as are other folks and friends like Jean-Michel Cousteau and the crew of Ocean Futures. They have conducted many studies around the globe and hopfully their data , films and information will help the oceans live better. I'm all for that.
My shark days are over but not my fishin' days. I can manage easily w/o as I have for 20 years now. I often get asked in the restaurant why I never feature "shark" on the menu.
I used to give the big spiel. You know, save a shark, save a planet.:lol: Now I just tell them it's personal choice. We should meet. I have some killer shark recipes!;D Even better, Sea lion cuisine!

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

shocked.gif posted on 5-16-2007 at 10:32 AM

Did a lot of shark fishing in a 16' Ryan in the mid 60,s and early 70,s off Long beach,San Pedro and around that general area,it was no-where as popular then as it is today,we got the hell scared out of us on more than one occasion,hooked into big thugs,who would jump in close to us and TAKE MY BREATH AWAY,we were young and dumb,nearly had my head taken off by a thresher and thought it was fun:rolleyes:
Have a question for anyone,back then mako,s were called bonito sharks on the west coast?
No we didn,t try to boat any of the bigger models:lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Oh wow, I had no idea the fish were sold locally. That really is interesting. Do you know how big are those are Jesse. Common sense would tell me these fish were bound for a higher market return. This must mean they have ample supplies if they are willing to sell them off at a much lower price than in Japan. I wonder if maybe what you got was of a grade or tuna sp. that isn't part of their export biz. :?:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.