BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: A very BAD report from Loreto!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
New estimate for reopening is at ten days from today, Wednesday.

Also in the near future, a 12 dollar launch fee is to be inaugurated.

And they will, most likely, be a lot faster with initiating the fee then they are with the repair. No feet dragging there:lol::lol:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 03:47 PM

Here's the Sudcaliforniano's story on this (Spanish):

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n310751.htm

says will be done in ten days...we'll see. does not mention a fee to use the ramp. I think they put that story in to stop a riot but if they start charging locals a riot will happen....they haven't forgotten that the marina was a gift by President Salinas along with the malecon, for the people of Loreto. Now its been taken away...they are well aware of this, its just the beginning of a battle and we will win it!

regarding the raw sewage, I just posted a notice in the News Section
the unpaved streets spewing raw sewage have been deemed a health hazard by the state health department all food vendors are out of business...oh the chamber of commerce meeting tonight ought to be a good one! :O

[Edited on 6-13-2007 by flyfishinPam]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry

i do believe that mexico has the right to do as they please its there country if your a mexico or a citisen of mexico you have the right to vote and change what you can

Yes, the people of Mexico have a right to vote for the people who promise to act in their best interests, but what happens when the elected officials change their tune after they get elected? Or when an appointed beaurocracy isn't responsive to the needs of the people? It happens all the time, all over. The ramp is an issue on which the local fishermen and the American "guests" are probably very much in agreement. You are right, it isn't our job to tell the Mexicans what to do, but how do you feel about the Americans joining with the local PEOPLE when the government and agencies like API are letting us all down?

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by Paula]

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by Paula]

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 08:57 AM

the process in the usa is impeachment or voting them out or a referendom im sure there are people here who know the mexican process
gringoes who are not able to vote in mexico are not sopost to involve them selves in mexicos politics that mexican law not mine

jerry and judi
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 09:32 AM

ok, Jerry - just sit there and be an observer and segregate yourself from your community and let everyone else fight your battles for you. You seem to have a lot of fears.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
the process in the usa is impeachment or voting them out or a referendom im sure there are people here who know the mexican process
gringoes who are not able to vote in mexico are not sopost to involve them selves in mexicos politics that mexican law not mine

The process in the US is speaking out about issues of concern, as well as voting. But, as to Mexico, just how is speaking out about, say, an environmental issue in Mexico involving yourself in Mexico's politics? If I help a local Mexican organization that is organized to stop the long line slaughter of turtles, is that involving myself in Mexican politics? Seems to me that environmental/ocean health issues do not stop at borders. What happens in the Sea of Cortez affects the Pacific Ocean which does not stop at the Mexican border.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 01:37 PM

Mexico has this great excuse for people who just don't want to get involved. "It's against Mexican law."

I've been to a few meetings on environmental and land use politics, and often participation by expats is encouraged. Our local municipal president has greeted us at the door with a smile and a handshake.

Don't contribute to political candidates or try to directly influence elections. But you may speak your mind to those that are elected. And there are some that listen.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:06 PM

... and speaking of the ramp...

I just had a look at the progress, and it looks good. The under water part is in-- pored, or placed or dropped-- however they do these things :dudette: Looks solid, it's nice and wide, has a nice slope, an appears to go out far enough. Lots of equipment there, and at least 4 men working during siesta.

I wouldn,t be surprised to see it ready for the tournament on the 23rd, but I'm not promising to eat any live fish...

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:08 PM

Thanks Don, I thought those were probably the distinctions to be made...I get pretty tired of the "if you're not a Mexican citizen you have no right to speak" attitude.

Now back to the ramp...what does it look like today?

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by elizabeth]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:47 PM

elizabeth, All that BS about not being able to "speak" if you are'nt in one ethnic group or another is old and moldy. Comes under the heading of "moral relativity". And that will lead you into one worm hole after another.:lol:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info Paula. I was down at the ramp earlier today and they didnt have the ramp poured yet. That was fast.... I talked to one of the worker last night and he is saying 8 more days. Wonder if he will eat a sardine if its not done by then??
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 12:43 PM

At the marina this morning,one of the workers said two weeks.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 01:11 PM

The poured concrete should have 14 to 21 days to cure.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 02:04 PM

If it takes that long to cure, the upcoming three tournaments are going to be a nightmare. 50 to 60 boats for the governors tourny alone. I don't think the larger boats can beach launch, so that will eliminate them unless they want to haul to puerto escondido to launch and pay the 280 peso launch fee. It will be interesting for sure.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 05:55 PM

Saturday, 6 PM:

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 06:41 PM

HI there,

Yesterday morning when putting clients on their boats they wre pouring the concrete at teh water line. So I was pleasantly surprised at the progress. But this morning when finishing up loading boats I saw one of the workers walking on the concrete at the water line and it was still wet as his foolprints were evident. Isn't there a concrete they should use that dries under the water? I never knew that kind of stuff existed until some Tripui people told me that's what they used. So is this concrete OK and its still curing or did they screw up? I'm not a construction person so don't know just curious.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 06:55 PM

It cures slowly but thoroughly under water. On dry land, calcium chloride can be added to the mix to accelerate drying. It would probably work under water as well.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 06:58 PM

OK it cures slowly but do you know how long it takes. 14-21 days like comitan posted? is that regular cement or the special kind? knowing this helps me plan our busy season protocols. thanks
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 07:10 PM

Even if they use regular cement, it should be sufficiently cured within a week to allow launching use. Small boats could probably use it after a few days. This is assuming the ramp was poured on a fairly stable substrate with a minimum thickness of 5" and 3000 psi mix.

We typically pour 3500 psi concrete, 4" thick for residential driveways and park on them after a week at most. Never had a problem.
Concrete achieves a large percentage of it's strength from curing within the first week. Remaining strength is gained more slowly with increasing cure time.

I'm sure in your area it will depend on who is the resident genious.
Maybe 3 days in Mexico ???
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 09:28 PM

Wilderone i havent asked anyone for anything no one is fighting any battles for me i sure have not segrated my self from my comunity and who the hell are you?? im using my real name you know where im at whats yours?? whats your comunity?? you guess wrong last time about me being a government employee if you dont like my view stuff it where the sun dont shine come on put it out there we will see whos afraid
you are the defanition of JR chicken coopers( cluck on) whats your comunity
thers been a lot of info put out here
Elizabeth and everyone here can do exactly as they choose im not making up anyones mind
because i dont agree with you is my perogative but i wont be belittled or bulled by anyone much less by a faceless gutless wounder

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.