BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja surfers are special because?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
No offense to anybody in particular, but this whole discussion is sorta silly.:biggrin::spingrin::tumble:

Here, Here !:lol::P:lol::P:lol::wow::bounce:

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 01:32 PM

One reason we enjoy Baja so much freedom of access. Used to be this way in California Norte, but some groups of people banned together and managed to close off huge portions of public lands. Now people wanting to get away from it all, are crowded into much less open space with more restrictions. Environmental groups like The Surfrider Foundation, have supported these closures, and are pushing for more, especially for ocean fishing.
Now I`m an old surfer and dream of a comeback, still maintain my surf pad @ K-38. But surfers who support restricted acess of public lands and ocean, are hyprocrites when they complain about more people at their favorite spot!!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:06 PM

I guess I'll concede. It's futile anyway.:rolleyes: But you see(to me), it really wasn't about the surfers, it was about discovery. If people want someone else to discover for them so be it. It's a vicarious arrangement. Now if DK had gotten stuck in there I'd be very interested.:lol:

Thanks Cypress.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:35 PM

All these surfers out there sure spend a lot of time on the computer and not surfing....:biggrin:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
This is like watching my two sons bicker over a video game. Someone should just take Baja away from all of you until you stop arguing about it.

You are sooo right ! :lol::lol::lol:

And who said the monitors (adult-sitters) had an easy job !! :biggrin:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
All these surfers out there sure spend a lot of time on the computer and not surfing....:biggrin:

because it's FLAT! and it's gonna stay flat unless we get a hurricane soon!!!!!

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

lol.gif posted on 8-1-2007 at 03:55 PM
surfers are special

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Great stuff David, I love it. Those that complain can have some cheese with their whine. They remind me of the difference betwen a contractor and an enviromentalist. A contractor wants to build a house in the woods and the enviromentalist already has a house in the woods and doesn't want anyone else to have one.

TW i love it too funny:bounce::bounce: This thread is even getting lurkers to post

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by jimgrms]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 05:32 PM

surfers can be a real pain sometimes when it comes to certain spots.however, this is not just about surfers. it's about, what someone else said, the discovery and adventure and the entire process. furthermore, many would like to keep some areas from being developed so that experience will still be possible, including this particular piece of coast, some who happen to surf and many who don't.if you want to see it paved and developed then keep sending out invitations...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 05:39 PM

Sharksbaja. You're welcome.:D
ME
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

because it's FLAT! and it's gonna stay flat unless we get a hurricane soon!!!!!

and buttons are easy to push, to be clear my comments are not about protecting waves but preserving a wild strech of coast. This is a remote and Pristine area with few people and no help. I think DK is Irresponsible, when you give directions on a public forum than it probaly will not be long before it is like punta cabbras. I know DK's response is it is on maps and is no secret but the mile by mile and turn by turn is ridiculous, I know it is futile, but Shame on you DK!
Passionate about Baja> Mike
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by ME
I know it is futile, but Shame on you DK!

Eloquent summary, thank you.
--Larry

Yo lencho.... please point out to me where DK has posted this phantom road log of the Seven Sisters!!
Come on!! Any surfer over the age of 15 knows of this area!!!
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:
Originally posted by Axel
Example,

Punta Cabras, Now dirty filthy sh** hole. 15-20 years ago it was a beautiful spot. I wont take my daughter there anymore because she can't play in the sand dunes because of trash and human waste. Now radio stations are bus loading people there. Nothing like a little advertisement.

I gotta respond here. Why do you think its a sh** hole after 20 years Axel? It's because of the idiot surfers. I ran the sisters from south to north in 1976. Do the math everyone. It was beautiful. We had a break down and walked for a day and a half to find help. Most of the good spots now days, any blind man can find with his nose because of all the trash and crap left behind by surfers.
I just enjoyed cruising the coast south of Punta Baja for the first time just for a look. I've always heard the surf is sketchy there so I've never ventured out. The coast was beautiful and there may be a couple spots to check on the right swell. The main thing we noticed was all the coastal camp spots were clean and neat. No sh** or sh** paper blowing around, no trash, no burnt beer cans or bottles in the fire rings etc. Guess what, that area of coast is mostly traveled by wind surfers because of the hell blows out there. Cut from a different piece of cloth they must be, ala Yoda, he he.
I'm so glad I've gotten to an age, 50, where I can enjoy all the other beautiful things Baja has to offer. I still love the score of surf, but that single pursuit is so narrow minded. I just think back on all the many days all totaled, I have sat on a Baja beach waiting for a phantom swell to track in and had to leave empty handed. I could have been seeing somthing else.
You all know, every one of you premadonas out there, that you heard about a place from someone. You got what directions you could out of the person, bought the best map you could, bragged about where you were going to go to everyone who would listen and then claimed it as your discovery when you got back. I have heard this from every single surfer I know until the last 10 years or so. Then localism hit Baja. It wasn't bad enough that we had to fist fight for our home break. We... the surfers, are who is to blaim for the above post I'm quoting, and we are to blaim for every crowded spot, now and in the future.
DK is just the easiest target out there to blame for everyones own frustrations. You know, I've just spent a few days with him, and I learned 2 things, he's a Baja lover like me, and he's happy when he's IN Baja way more than talking to some of you. Me thinks there's some jealousy on this board???

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by Gadget]

Punta Cabras has not been destroyed by just idiot surfers. A simple fact remains is that although Cabras can occasionally produce quality waves, most competent surfers realise there are better waves not too far away. The major reason it has been, and is being destroyed, IMO, is because it is within 4 hours of the border, and it's still free. (not for long).
No doubt it fills up with some disgusting surfers, who have no respect for anything, or anybody. But I've witnessed class C RVs without a surfer in them, just dump their black water tanks 25 feet outside of camp, on their way out on sunday, their trash stacked five feet high in the fire pit. I've watched some Mexican Families over Semana Santa wait for the wind kick up before letting all their trash go like it's a spectator sport. The worst are those who bring their 4 wheelers or motos and act like their duty is to personally kick up as much dust, and rip up as much dune growth as they can, and then act like the locals will come clean up after them when they leave. Some act like everyone enjoys listening to their modified pipes as they circuit up and down the beach.

I've also witnessed all typecast of camper there leave their campsite cleaner than they found it, but unfortunately they are becoming fewer and farther between.

I think as long as western culture continues this selfish, ignorant materialistic 'maximum profit at all and every cost' mentality, there will be few spots that won't be destroyed by man's greed. It just sucks to see them go so quickly in a land we all love.

I'll continue to camp at Cabras, and collect and burn others trash. And for what it's worth, those of you who don't surf, who've never experienced the glide, should not even attempt to think you understand our motivations. Surfers are our own worst enemy. Seeing a loaded SUV with surfboards stacked high on the roof cresting the horizon is a nightmare anywhere I am. Very articulate surfers have been trying to explain it to the unenlightened for decades, yet Spicoli is what every neophyte conjures up.

I just wish 30 percent of us were not Spicolis. The enduring stereotype is here to stay.:no:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 11:03 PM

With any luck all those MEGA YACHTS going to Ensenada will kick up surf all along the coast and then there will be plenty of waves for everyone.....:yes:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 01:59 AM
Do you wind surf?

Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
Quote:
Quote:

I gotta respond here. Why do you think its a sh** hole after 20 years Axel? It's because of the idiot surfers. I ran the sisters from south to north in 1976. Do the math everyone. It was beautiful. We had a break down and walked for a day and a half to find help. Most of the good spots now days, any blind man can find with his nose because of all the trash and crap left behind by surfers.
I just enjoyed cruising the coast south of Punta Baja for the first time just for a look. I've always heard the surf is sketchy there so I've never ventured out. The coast was beautiful and there may be a couple spots to check on the right swell. The main thing we noticed was all the coastal camp spots were clean and neat. No sh** or sh** paper blowing around, no trash, no burnt beer cans or bottles in the fire rings etc. Guess what, that area of coast is mostly traveled by wind surfers because of the hell blows out there. Cut from a different piece of cloth they must be, ala Yoda, he he.
I'm so glad I've gotten to an age, 50, where I can enjoy all the other beautiful things Baja has to offer. I still love the score of surf, but that single pursuit is so narrow minded. I just think back on all the many days all totaled, I have sat on a Baja beach waiting for a phantom swell to track in and had to leave empty handed. I could have been seeing somthing else.
You all know, every one of you premadonas out there, that you heard about a place from someone. You got what directions you could out of the person, bought the best map you could, bragged about where you were going to go to everyone who would listen and then claimed it as your discovery when you got back. I have heard this from every single surfer I know until the last 10 years or so. Then localism hit Baja. It wasn't bad enough that we had to fist fight for our home break. We... the surfers, are who is to blaim for the above post I'm quoting, and we are to blaim for every crowded spot, now and in the future.
DK is just the easiest target out there to blame for everyones own frustrations. You know, I've just spent a few days with him, and I learned 2 things, he's a Baja lover like me, and he's happy when he's IN Baja way more than talking to some of you. Me thinks there's some jealousy on this board???

Mexicans litter a lot we already know.But surfers litter a ton, but not windsurfers. Do you windsurf when not hanging out with David?;D

Case closed!:no:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 06:06 AM

Thanks landyacht for setting the record straight on Cabras--we never went there expecting good surf, just a pretty place to camp--like you said, there's better surf elsewhere, in fact, only once did we even see other surfers there... As we watched the dunes get slowly chewed away by ATVs and more and more trash building up every year we stopped going.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
Quote:
Quote:

Mexicans litter a lot we already know.But surfers litter a ton, but not windsurfers. Do you windsurf when not hanging out with David?;D

Case closed!:no:

I posted what I saw at a coastal camping area visited primarily by windsurfers I'm told. You can draw your own conclusions.

I do not windsurf, but as a surfer I have been carrying a small port-a-pot south bound empty and north bound full (yuck) for some time. I pack all my trash home to my trash cans. You???

I have just "hung out" with David for the first time for 2 days while in ER. We found him and Baja Angel to be funny, warm, helpful, loving people.

Hope that covers any concerns you may have.

"I love all people, it's just a little harder to do so with some".

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 10:21 PM

Thanks Gadget... Baja Angel and I enjoyed you and Leslie's company as well... I wasn't even mad when you 'tagged' my Toyota with a Locos Mocos sticker!:o:yes::cool:

See you on the trail again soon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 10:40 PM

I agree Gadget it is easier to like someone you've met. Glad you had fun. What my point was was that you concluded the mess came from surfers therefore surfers are pigs. Yes I pack out but leave the doo doo behind. It bothers the army checkpoint guys.:biggrin:

PIGS COME IN ALL SIZES AND COLORS.:yes:

David, I heard you once tagged JRs vehicle to his dismay. :lol:

btw... locos mocos? crazy boogers?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 10:46 PM

No Corky, I never touched jr's vehicles... If there was a sticker on it, then jr put it on... :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 11:04 AM

WOW, this post has really taken off ... approaching 3500 hits .. Seems like a lot of people want to see why surfers are special. :lol::lol::lol: -CaboRon

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.