Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Please take a look
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:54 AM

Here's a bit of info from "Life after Catch and Release"
Marine Fisheries Review, Wntr, 2004 by Jean Cramer

"Pop-up satellite archival tag (PSAT) technology provides an improved tool for evaluating post-release mortality.....
Sixty-one PSAT's attached to striped marlin, Tetrapturus audax, caught with recreational tackle (Domeier and Dewar, 2003) and forty-one PSAT's attached to white marlin caught on recreational gear (Horodysky and Graves, 2005) contained pre-release software. The post-release mortality estimates from these studies : 26.2% for striped marlin and 35% for white marlin caught on straight-shank "J" hooks and 0% for white marlin caught on circle hooks."

That's a pretty damn strong argument for the use of circle hooks. Circle hooks are very rarely used by Baja sportfishing charters. In Cost Rica for example circle hooks are the rule rather than the exception and it seems to promote a healthy billfish population. The bottom line is that "J" hooks are bad news. Anyone who plans on feeding a bait to a fish that is to be released should use nothing but circle hooks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
i think nets are far more cruel because of the deaths of far more "unwanted" species.

Nets are indiscriminate. People arn't. We can't blame the nets.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

God, this "sport" is so senseless....

If you feel that way why post it on a fishing board? The board is for those who don't find it 'senseless'. For those who like to fish.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I don't think you fully appreciate the subtleties of the sport. Dennis, come on down, we'll go out and you can fight a big one, find out more about it.

Thanks George. You're right, I don't understand anything about it anymore. Mostly, why it's considered a "sport." Would you consider dragging a dog behind a car for a few miles, then letting it go, a sport?
George, I was a commercial fisherman for years. Today, if I knew my younger self, I wouldn't like me. As I age and come to terms with my mortallity, I see value in all life, except flies. I simply don't believe we should be stressing out any species just because we have the power to do so. For me, it's senseless and cruel and self-degrading.
We can add this to the list of our differences but, we know nothing will change. Not me, not you. I hope you keep your lines tight. It may be merciful if the ordeal is quicker.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

If you feel that way why post it on a fishing board? The board is for those who don't find it 'senseless'. For those who like to fish.

The first post on this thread was way short of being supportive of killing fish. Senseless would apply to the sentiment of the post.

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by DENNIS]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:50 PM

DENNIS:o What was the name of that dude that was fighting windmills?:)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 02:04 PM

Why not go to the photo gallery forum and tell them you hate cameras?

Why not go to a surfing forum and tell them they're wasting their time? That riding a board is a cheap thrill.

I mean, these forums are set up for people to share info on the subject. There must be people who feel the same way as you do and they share their feelings amongst themselves on boards that are set up for that.

It's like going to the main discussion board and anouncing:

"I HATE BAJA".

All right. That's fine. But why come to a baja site to say that?

That's all I'm trying to get across.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 02:28 PM

Leg shots? Pussy hoops?:o:o Jeez! :o Got my eyes wide open!:o:o
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Why not go to the photo gallery forum and tell them you hate cameras?

Why not go to a surfing forum and tell them they're wasting their time? That riding a board is a cheap thrill.

I mean, these forums are set up for people to share info on the subject. There must be people who feel the same way as you do and they share their feelings amongst themselves on boards that are set up for that.

It's like going to the main discussion board and anouncing:

"I HATE BAJA".

All right. That's fine. But why come to a baja site to say that?

That's all I'm trying to get across.

Really hurtful. That's what you are in defense of your blood-lust "sport."

Go to a foto site with a b-tch about cameras? I love cameras. I also appreciate the artful technology of fishing rods and reels. Why do you confuse the tools with the action? Cameras never took a photo and rods never caught a fish. It's the human behind the tool that makes it work.
And Joe, or whatever, this board is set up for all opinions, not just yours.

Don Jorge....I never said "Kill with a leg shot." I likened that activity with catch'nrelease. A poor comparison for sure but not without value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Why not go to a surfing forum and tell them they're wasting their time?

Well, they are wasting their time if they're not doing it on the clock. We learn to manage our time accordingly.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
Maybe when I am an old man like Dennis I will think like Dennis does. In fact that is quite possible.

Go Angles!

Old? Ooooooooh the pain. Seems like last year I was twenty.
Who are the Angles? Is that a ball club playing the Straights? Probably lots if rainbow bunting hanging around.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:47 PM

Bump
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 10:28 PM

Dennis, is there something you can add. I'll have to agree with you about saving certain species from a needless death. It's time for others to grow up as well. Some folks never will just mature.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 09:24 AM

Not now, Sharky. I've pushed it to the limit.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 09:58 AM

As operating costs continue to rise and catches decline the number of boats, both commercial and sport will decrease.:D But the old adage "10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish" will still be true.:D And we're talking about fewer fish.:(
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 04:53 PM

Well, all we need to do is send a paid up subscription to Dennis for PETA (Peope Eating Tasty Animals)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:47 PM

Thank you. That's very thoughtful. I'm not a vegetarian, I eat tasty animals and love fish. I just don't see any point in torturing them.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 05:55 PM

Dennis, the commercial factory ships will eventually kill all of them. Can't we have some fun? Can't you just let us torture them, take our pix, let em go before they are all eaten a little later by kitty cats?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 06:06 PM

Well, I didn't come here to change anybodys mind or behavior. An effort toward that would be ridiculous and futile. I'm here to give my opinion, which I've done. I take responsibility for myself and my actions. That factory ship will eventually be your problem, not mine. If you're so concerned about all the fish going to the cats, why do you throw them back?
Have fun, George.

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by DENNIS]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.