She is probably still picking pieces of shrapnel from her burro:lol:

Lots of opinions expressed to give her something to think about:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
BTW, I assume you're aware of the advantage you have growing up billingual. Most Americans-- God bless my paisanos-- suffer from a certain isolationist tunnel vision due to their monolingualism...

--Larry

Very much so. I also realize it's much easier for me to pick up languages. I think it has something to do with the fact that some kind of mental barrier was broken long ago about associating things with their linguistic representation. I find that have a visceral:wow: identification with the "flow" of a language. Of course, I'm speaking of European languages - Slavic, Arabic, etc. languages are a different beast altogether.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
- I spoke both languages since birth, or at least since I could talk. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clarifying. :saint:

Now Roberto, since you learned Italian on the streets, do you also read and write it? If so when did you learn that or do you remember ever learning it and it just came natural?
I have no idea at what point I learned to read or write in English

[Edited on 10-28-2007 by fdt]

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Now Roberto, since you learned Italian on the streets, do you also read and write it? If so when did you learn that or do you remember ever learning it and it just came natural?
I have no idea at what point I learned to read or write in English

[Edited on 10-28-2007 by fdt]

Well, the complete story is that virtually all of my socializing was with Italians, but I completed parallel educations in both school systems through high school. I went to a full-time american school in Rome, and was tutored and took exams in the Italian system in the country town I lived in outside of Rome.

So, it's mostly a question of usage, as I was formally educated in both. So, yes I read/write/speak/think/dream both languages. The definition of bi-lingual, I think. The funny thing is that I am two slightly different people, depending on the language I am speaking. It's the background/culture/history/gestalt :rolleyes: of the language that makes the difference. :o

Boy, have we gotten far afield from the original topic, or what? It might even be safe for Jan to join in! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-28-2007 by Roberto]
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks Ged... it really was a question only Gypsy Jan can answer... I see she is pretty quiet... perhaps it was a mis-speak... I am not mad at her, I am only curious where she picked up the idea that we Americans (which means citizens of the United States, in this case) are hostile to Mexican firefighters coming here to help... Which is way off base... We love the Mexicans and those who are helping even more! We just don't like law breakers, does anyone?

Have a great rest of the week amigo!

I'd like to chime in on this thread as I have been lurking for a while now.
I spent 8 hours of my time yesterday volunteering at the Red Cross relief station set up in Ramona. I worked through the Horizon USA Critical Incident Responce network that I have partially completed my training in.
We were contacted and asked to help set up the aide stations as the people in Ramona were being allowed to come back to their neighborhoods. Qualcomm was being shut down and the Red Cross was setting up relief stations in the neighborhoods affected so folks could be close to their homes and be able to get hot meals, supplies, water and showers.
Along with many other volunteers I helped set up a distribution station to supply residents who had burned out or severly damaged homes get blankets, pillows, cots, hygene supplies, RC comforts kits, water, diapers etc. There was a check in station where ID was required, address information requested or some way of confirming that you were indeed a resident of an identified damaged area.
Most of the folks were more than happy to provide the required info, I even saw some leave and come back after getting a vehicle reg card or something to show.
Many came and stood in line and respectfully and politely left when they understood they did not qualify to receive those particular supplies.
But here is what I also saw. Many individuals working the system. Clearly people who did not qualify but were there to get all the free stuff they could. Supplies that folks who have lost everything very much need. Many of them who probably have not made it to the station yet.
I watched a young hispanic man, who was turned away early on, as we were still setting up the station, who had bags full of stuff he had collected while we were distracted working. Finally someone noticed him and asked for ID. He didn't qualify and just dumped his bags and walked off.
Food and water were free for everyone via the Red Cross chow line. I watched him load at least 20 cases of water into the bed of his nice late model Ford pickup. I saw him continually for the next 3 hours as I ran around like mad working, with bags in his hands every time. I started making eye contact with him and giving him a disgusted look. He would just smile and look away. I watched him stand and talk with several other young hispanics in the parking lot laughing and seeming to be having the best of times. I don't think he was the only participant in this.
Around dusk when the Sherriffs finally started to show up for evening security I looked for his truck and I was going to take a Deputy over and have a look but the guy was gone.
Since I am not seasoned at this type of work I talked to others who are and got confirmation that it is a very common thing. Standard procedure is pretty much what I did which is stick to your job and deal with the good people who really need help and ignore the dirt bags.
I have to honestly say I did not see any other ethnicity doing this. Many folks wanted the free stuff if they could get it, but left when told that it was for others, most of them thanking us anyway for our efforts.
Lastly, I would like to say on this forum thanks to all the Firefighters. We had a food and shower station at the Senior center for them and we saw hundreds of them come off the line for a break, tired, filthy, hungry but focused still. God bless em all.

On another story, during the Cedar fires, our son Ryan was working at Incident command at Gelispe Field. While the Governor was there visiting the guys on the tarmac an electrical fire broke out in one of the hangers, with alarm going off and the whole deal. No one moved out of respect for Gov Arnold. Finally he commented that maybe someone should do something about it. Ryan was in the back of the crowd and ran for a brush rig with a 2 inch hanging on it, broke in the door and turned to fire up the pump. There was another firefighter there already who did and helped him man the hose and put out the fire. It was a young Bombero about Ryans age from TJ. They still talk occasionally.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is that I am two slightly different people, depending on the language I am speaking.

Wow, never thought about it that way, even though to my wife I'm mexican in any language :lol:

Quote:
Boy, have we gotten far afield from the original topic, or what? It might even be safe for Jan to join in! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-28-2007 by Roberto]

Yea, come back Jan, you can always duck if starts again

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2007 at 10:29 PM

Thanks Gadget for bringing this post back to topic and for sharing with us a view from the inside.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 08:12 AM
Very interesting indeed

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The U.S. news has, all too briefly, reported about firefighters from Tijuana going across the border to help contain the Portrero fire.

Could we please get more information about these heroes, who cross the border of a country that is hostile to them and risk their lives to help their brothers in combat?

Quote taken from the thread "Maybe interesting. It depends on your perspective."
Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I'm tired so this will be brief...... just got off around 10 tonight after working since Sunday morning and I am beat like a soapy di.....
Bomberos de Tijauna are working the Harris Fire under one of my co-workers and there are all sorts of bodies from international travelers being found. The bomberos find a few and, of course, law enforcement is always called in.
INS shows up and they cuff and detain multiple bomberos..... the fire guys (my bro's) convince them to go to base camp and the whole thing is worked out. At base camp my compadre arranges to get them a chiite-load of NOMEX fire gear, which is really great, to smooth the whole thing over and show their appreciation for their help.
I talk to my buddy tonight and he says there was some kind of political, turf, point they wanted to make.
All I gotta say is what a bunch of dipchiites.
So, moderators, if there is anything objectionable in here please just ask me to alter it and I will rather than just a blanket delete. OK HOSE A?
I think I will get more sleep tonight before I work tomorrow than I have had in the last 6 days...
Manana

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 10:01 PM

just remember that gypsy jan started this thread with her bs comment toward americans. and she has yet to comment again since she realized she offended so many people just making a point .
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-31-2007 at 05:56 PM
Honda Tom

I'm not worried about the reactions to my post.

It was an honest one and it was not an attack on Americans.

I wanted to question the use/abuse of power by one country's government against the citizen's of another country in ordinary and extraordinary circumstances.

Thinking about and discussing these issues in an open forum is what make America and Americans world leaders in freedom and freedom of speech.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2007 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
I wanted to question the use/abuse of power by one country's government against the citizen's of another country in ordinary and extraordinary circumstances.

I thought your question was about border crossing fire fighters being ignored by the press in a country with a hostile government. It seems to have morphed into a human rights question.
That's OK, Jan but, it's a different question.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-31-2007 at 09:40 PM
If you backed me up to a wall

and asked me what is human rights abuse,

I would ask you, what about the murders, the thefts and the rapes that occur just south of the U.S. border?

Why aren't we concerned about helping our neighbor?

(small voice) why does the u.s. government enfranchise and spend millions upon millions of dolllars building a wall along a border instead of building an alliance with the people, who, if given the chance, would voluntarily turn in any threats to their continued prosperity?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 07:01 AM

Quote:

why does the u.s. government enfranchise and spend millions upon millions of dolllars building a wall along a border

Because some people see a border there which is worthy of respect.
Many don't and that is the problem.
Is disregarding our laws what you call building an alliance?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.