BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
I won't drive to Baja, period --- 21 (19.27%)
I won't drive the Toll road --- 19 (17.43%)
I will only fly --- 8 (7.34%)
No affect at all --- 61 (55.96%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 12:32 PM
OPEN MESSAGE TO THE BAD GUYS

This statement is aimed directly at you the “BAD GUY” on both sides of the border who offer violence to peace loving people which I am one. “I KNOW YOU BAD GUYS READ THIS SITE” so just know whether in the U.S. or Mexico and if you are stupid enough to offer violence to me personally I make you this solemn promise. I will use whatever force is necessary to neutralize you and the situation even if it causes your death or mine. One or both of us will not be going home. This vow goes for dirty cops and/or scumbags in general who confront me to do harm to me.
YOU DO NOT SCARE ME. Is this message clear enough? I hope so.

MENSAJE A LOS CRIMINALES

Esta declaración está dirigido directamente a usted, “EL CRIMINAL” en los dos lados de la frontera que ofrezcan violencia a la gente de paz quienes soy yo. “SÉ QUE USTDES CRIMINALES LEE ESTE SITIO” y quiero que saben que si aquí en los Estados Unidos (El Otro Lado) o en México si usted esta bastante estúpido de ofrecerme violencia a mi personalmente les hago esta promesa solemne. Utilizaré cualquier fuerza que es necesaria para neutralizarle a usted y la situación aunque ése causa su muerte o el mío. Uno de nosotros o los dos no hiramos a la casa ese día. Este juramento va a los policías corruptos y a los criminales en general quiénes me enfrentan para hacer daño a mí sin había hecho algo a usted. “USTEDES NO ME ASUSTAN” ¿Es este mensaje bastante claro? Espero que si.

[Edited on 1-11-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 01:33 PM

I always did avoid the toll road at night.

I leave Newport Beach at 9am and arrive at El Rosaro that evening to stay the night at the Catus before driving to Mulegé the next morning.

No, no need to change my driving routine.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
I always did avoid the toll road at night.

No, no need to change my driving routine.

Isn't that what it's all about? Staying off the roads at night?
Has any of this hijacking crap happened in broad daylite? I don't recall that it has.
I think some have been thoroughly terrorized by the recent events and well they should be but, it has grown to unrealistic proportions. The toll road is, or has been, safe from hijackers during daylite hours as far as I can recall. The forces of evil, being one and the same and different, have shared the hunting grounds. Hijackers at night...uniformed police during the day.
I don't see a large risk in day travel on the toll road. Travel in convoy to have your witnesses and don't pay mordida. Surround the police with cameras and microphones. It seems to have some effect.
Above all, if you break a law, you're guilty. If you didn't, you're not. Act accordingly.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 02:30 PM

I didn't vote, but to answer the question: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?

No.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 03:34 PM

Dennis, in the past before the hijackings, there was really no reason to avoid the toll road at night. No cattle, no potholes, generally and no oncoming traffic to swerve into your lane.

The toll road was a different story than driving the rest of the peninsula at night to me.

bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
This statement is aimed directly at you the “BAD GUY” on both sides of the border who offer violence to peace loving people which I am one. “I KNOW YOU BAD GUYS READ THIS SITE” so just know whether in the U.S. or Mexico and if you are stupid enough to offer violence to me personally I make you this solemn promise. I will use whatever force is necessary to neutralize you and the situation even if it causes your death or mine. One or both of us will not be going home. This vow goes for dirty cops and/or scumbags in general who confront me to do harm to me.

All worried about the trip south - get in touch w/El
bajalid

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 04:20 PM

:hi everyone,I just got back from poptla,had no trouble or fear and yes I will still drive to baja until I am a old lady! I have worked in the most chitty area of los angeles as a teleco tech and every day there is a shooting or a car hijacked dont get me wrong I use common sense and my street smarts
Driving down to cabo is a pleasure!
I am NOT SCARED
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalid
:...I will still drive to baja until I am a old lady! I have worked in the most chitty area of los angeles...

You don't talk like a lady!:lol::o:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 06:52 PM

Lack of $$$$$$ has altered my trips to BAJA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

You don't talk like a lady!:lol::o:cool:

I think she does. A lady who commands respect. She has mine.

I know you were joking, David.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8

Well they do scare me...for the same reason you talk about.
I know for a fact if push comes to shove...I will not pay ever.
If I do something wrong...I will go in and pay to a judge. If they think they can make me roll over like Minnow...they don't know me and that is what scares me...:cool:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Travel in daylight or early evening, i.e., when locals are going to work, taking kids to school and/or returning home to family.

When you park, keep the vehicle in sight or leave a fellow travel partner in the vehicle.

Travel with dog(s) - this does not cancel the above rule.

Be aware of your surroundings - when visiting an ATM, look around and be alert, and block any one's view of what you are doing.

Don't open a wallet and flash cash in public no matter where you are. Figure out what your puchase is going to cost and separate that amount for the transaction.

Sounds like the common sense I use in my travels in Irvine.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 09:15 PM

Dennis: In answer to your question "has any of this happened in daylight hours" I believe that Raquel (of "Raquel and Larry's) was murdered about 9:30am..........that was near Catavina

Mean people suck!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 09:40 PM

Maybe it would make a difference if everyone traded in their nice vehicles and kept their expensive toy boxes at home. Go out and get a 1982 Toyota Corolla with missing hubcaps to show you REALLY DON'T HAVE A POT TO pee IN, and maybe this would make all of the difference.

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 01:07 AM

I still travel into Baja but do not get down through T.J. but only 3 or 4 times a year lately. I do travel into Mexicali almost once or twice every two weeks and have not had any problems. I know my way around Mexicali and think "yes" think I know some people that can help me if I were to get into a fix. I like others worry more about my wife or friends that may go down with me and if trouble came up their safety is not worth the stress. I do not know what type of reaction I would do if a gun was being put to my wife's head and mine like tomorrow will never happen again. Like some I have had experiences in some situations like this but as we get older our minds sometimes gets our bodies into trouble. We just do not move as fast or as balanced like we did when younger, yes the truth hurts. Make no doubt like a few said here, if bad dudes came after me I would do my best to get away. Further, I would do whatever I could do to prevent my wife and me being put to our knees and guns to our heads like no tomorrow for us, just a very bad thought to think about. Not even Baja is worth such a price. Later--------------------------- bajafun777

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 08:10 AM

Just an idea, but what if Nomads were to start seriously carrying a camera and anytime they were stopped by the "police" they record the interaction on their camera? I know that will not work for a highjacking, but for the petty shake down routine of pay me now for your ticket, it might have an impact. Especially if those pictures were shared with the police captain and others.
The newest twist to the shakedown that I have heard twice now is they are saying yes you can go to the Justicia and see a judge, but we are going to call a tow-truck and impound your vehicle while we do that.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 10:14 AM

I have always been a passenger when crossing the border. I have never felt comfortable driving in Baja at night. As I frequently travel alone and by bus, I have learned to be relaxed but vigilant to my personal safety.

I do not think this recent crime wave will change my trips to Baja... for I could not live without her.

Oh yeah, one exception... a couple of times I have crossed thanks to an excellent guide and friend, our own Fernando de Tijuana/fdt. I have recently received word that he is having qualms about the stretch of road between the San Diego airport and the border. If Ferna chickens out on me, I'll have to go back to begging rides from my son - and he is much more likely to be concerned about the crime. Might have to start walking across.:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BajaBad
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 10:57 AM

My son and I have been planning a trip for five months or so now, to drive from TJ to Cabo, camping on the way, bringing a new quad or dune buggy for him (years of savings) me working taking photos & updating travel section of Viva La Baja! relocation guide.

Now there is no way I would camp with him, except on Conception Bay with other campers around and other places further south, and the trip maynow be delayed until next fall, when there - hopefully - is a better grasp of the situation by police, etc. If a ton more crime occurs, I would re-think the trip again, maybe flying into Loreto and avoiding Northern Baja altogether.

All in all, just peees me off. :barf: I am not one who likes to be 'afraid' of an adventure. We got stuck a month and a half ago or so at the Tijuana airport for 12 hours, took the bus to the American (forgot name) shopping mall near-by for food and a movie. Returned to the airport at night, and was careful, but not afraid.

As a side-note (and do not know if this has been posted recently, I can not keep up with BajaNomad on a daily basis!) , can not see any travel warnings or safety alerts on any U.S. consulate or the travel.state.gov websites... Canada has not posted any new info, nor has NZ, Australia, etc. :no:

BajaBad
Viva La Baja! Relocation Guide
http://www.vivalabaja.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Travel in daylight or early evening, i.e., when locals are going to work, taking kids to school and/or returning home to family.

When you park, keep the vehicle in sight or leave a fellow travel partner in the vehicle.

Travel with dog(s) - this does not cancel the above rule.

Be aware of your surroundings - when visiting an ATM, look around and be alert, and block any one's view of what you are doing.

Don't open a wallet and flash cash in public no matter where you are. Figure out what your puchase is going to cost and separate that amount for the transaction.

Sounds like the common sense I use in my travels in Irvine.

Yeah, right, Gull. :rolleyes:

http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/civica/press/display.asp?layout=1...

Nothing sadder than a caged bird, flailing about.

Facts aren't your strong suit, I take it............

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
I have recently received word that he is having qualms about the stretch of road between the San Diego airport and the border. Nena

The most dangerous part of the entire trip ;D

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.