Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: netting cabrilla in Loreto
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 10:30 AM

Don Alley, Thanks for stating the facts. You're just being honest. I expect you and Pescador spend more time fishing the Sea of Cortez than most of us. With your experience, topnotch, gear, electronics, etc. all combined and you have a hard time catching fish, there's defintely something haywire.:O
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 11:01 AM

Does Skeet know something the rest of us don't? Pilots taking off the wrong way from the Serenidad, Tons of fish but the fishermen don't know where to go to find them, or are too lazy to get up early enough to hit the bite. Last time I checked, Alex wasn't doing so hot either. Better adjust your thinking.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 07:31 PM

Lancair:

Taking off into a Hill across a River can get very dicey if you have a loss of Power on Take-Off[Most small Aircraft Accidents occurr on take Off.
Any DUMMY can get that information by visiting the NTSB website and click on Accidents. Or go to work as an Accident Investigator.

Well, you socalled Fancy Boat Fish Hunters, go on your unenlighted way and keep coming back with few Fish. You will never learn to "Look at the Water"" instead of "Looking at your DepthFinder".

If you can't find the Fish at the places I have mentioned then You are as Blind as a Hundred year old Elephant.

Skeet/Of the Sea
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Don Alley, Thanks for stating the facts. You're just being honest. I expect you and Pescador spend more time fishing the Sea of Cortez than most of us. With your experience, topnotch, gear, electronics, etc. all combined and you have a hard time catching fish, there's defintely something haywire.:O

Well, my gear is pretty good; I make most of my own rods, and I can admire my gear as my friends are busy catching fish on their Penn Senators.:lol: (Note to self: Email Avet for instructions on return and repair of expensive pink two-speed LX 6/3 reel).:lol:

As for my electronics, I have a depth finder that can find the bottom if it's not too far away and my panga's not going too fast. And I have a GPS! Cost $99.95.:lol:

Experience? Cutthroat trout!:lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 09:18 PM
Looks like red skies in the morning on this one...

Hola, fellow fishermen. I came in here to check the cabrilla netting, but I see the water is way too choppy for me. ;) Will check the moon & stars forecast tonight....toasting for calm weather on the horizon. Tight lines, all.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 04:04 AM

Pompano

come on back, but where your waders, the poop is getting really deep!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 05:30 AM

Pomp: Good to hear from you> Have you seen any of those Thousands of Fish I saw on top of the Water off of Teresa??
Guess I was dreaming when I caught all those Slimy Barracuda, the Yellowtail , The Cabrilla, Bait.
Must have been dreaming at all the Amberjack, Dolphins, Sharks, and Whales.
Oh Well, some Fisherman have it,some Don"t.
Pomp: Are there any Clams in Conception? At Kilometer 78 ?

Skeet/Of the Sea
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Pomp: Good to hear from you> Have you seen any of those Thousands of Fish I saw on top of the Water off of Teresa??
Guess I was dreaming when I caught all those Slimy Barracuda, the Yellowtail , The Cabrilla, Bait.
Must have been dreaming at all the Amberjack, Dolphins, Sharks, and Whales.
Oh Well, some Fisherman have it,some Don"t.
Pomp: Are there any Clams in Conception? At Kilometer 78 ?

Skeet/Of the Sea

Hola Skeet,

Are you taking good care of Texas? Let's hope my pilot amigo, Dusty, doesn't have to waterbomb any more brush fires out your way this year. You got a little scorched last time.

I've been way out west on the big pond for a few weeks, so don't have any personal reports on our Cortez fishing just yet, but will very soon. I will post a fishing report here as it happens. I hear from some amigos that the roosterfishing is great and dorado are expected to arrive pretty quick.

The old haunts for finding the fish are still the best, of course. That knowledge never changes, thank Neptune. Currents and structure rule the day, but however you find them, it's all good.

The day is a banquet if you make it out on the water..the rest is dessert.

Clamming? Funny you should ask....I was driving down that way a couple months ago and took this photo of some suspicious characters on a known clam beach. I stopped and questioned them about digging clams. Nervously, they muttered they were clam Planters from Oregon and were reseeding the entire peninsula with gaper, butter, c-ckle, littleneck, and razor clams.

Sure...Now all we need are some Washington or Alaskan gooey-ducks.

[Edited on 5-12-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 0 1aclamming day (Small).jpg - 46kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 09:53 AM
Troubling evaluation

I've read this post a few times now. I just don't get your logic Skeet. Many people have been witness over many years and their evaluation or rather, assessment contradicts your notions.

The science and facts known about the various life cycled and man's interaction can be very inexact or very productive as in a few instances. I hope you do more research than just a couple trips. Also listen to others and believe what they say about what they see.

A good read for you would be:
Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World

I'd like to readdress that inshore netting is very destructive to local and native fish populations. Add to that that the cabrilla sp. are very slow to grow , mature and have off-spring. Much like that of many sharks.
Localized nearshore schools of fish once removed are not replaced easily. Furthermore, the new herding methods being used in conjunction with hookah divers is really the bottom line. It's possible to extract ALL the fish in the area.
The pelagic species certainly do have a better chance and think of the salmon problem we are facing now in PNW. That is another story and it underlines our good intent but highlights our tremendous failure.

It's a big job for sure. Regulating fisheries is necessary even though it can be a disaster sometimes. The shame lies on those that abuse the gift of the sea. Natural resources are finite and it's not our given right to overtake or abuse it.
It's our duty as intelligent humans to make changes or adjust our mindset. The world is in hi gear and we have to do prudent things now. The people of Mexico must wise up and force the govt to mandate fishery enforcement and educate the citizens about their important resource.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 10:29 AM

Skeet

How come the only smart people are Fresno State grads???

FSU 1974
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 12:55 PM

Sharks may be right that inshore netting is a totally destructive process and with the added hookah diving, they may be able to kill off an otherwise productive area. I personally know the area that is north of Santa Rosalia which was, in the old days, highly populated by both cabrilla and yellowtail. The divers and the netters came in and completely cleaned out the area almost all the way to Punta Prieta. Now the only thing except for a very occassional yellow or cabrilla are dorado during the summer.
On the other hand at San Marcos Island and Tortuga Island, the fish seemed to have adapted to the pressure and have moved into deeper water. I am now catching cabrilla in much deeper water than ever before and they seemed to have adapted to that area well. They are fat and well fed, so perhaps they are adjusting to changes in their environment.
The problem with this approach is the lack of any accurate information. No one has done any kind of census about available fish per square mile or anything that gives any kind of empirical evidence, and quite frankly, it would not really make any difference since we can moan and groan all we want and in the end there will probably be little if anything done. It becomes even more confusing when someone sees a big school of active fish and assumes that things are back to "normal".
The most promising sign on the horizon is how they manage the fisheries through the co-ops in Asuncion, Tortuga, La Bocana, and Abreojos. Because things are controlled there we see a real resurgence of lobster,
abalone, and fish stocks. Perhaps when things get really bad on our side of the peninsula, they will be able to look to those areas for a clear idea of how to sucessfully manage the resources.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 04:45 PM

Sharks:
As you may know I spent nearly 40 years fishing the Sea of Cortez. I owned a Panga for 27 years, I was taught fishing by the Murillo Family of San Nicholas. Papa Murillo taught me to catch Pargatio on a handline from 300 Ft. about two miles from the Island.
I have caught Hundreds of Lbs of Yellowtail, yellowFin, Cabrillo, Trigger fish etc always learning and using the Mehods taught to me by the Murillos.

I have dove and snorkeled and watch the movements of the Golden Cabrilla herding their Brthern to the Bait.
Starting in1967 I have seen a Mile of Yellotail on top of the Water, I watched as the Fertlizer Boats netted all of the Sierra from in close, driving the Yellowtail out to the deep water.
I have watched numerous Boils of all types of fish{the latest that of Amberjack, my First sighting a month ago}.

I have seen the change of fishing the decline of the Costal Cabrilla{yet last month I and others caught some nice Size Cabrilla}

There are not a 10th of the Commercial Boats that once fished the Sea as there is at this moment.

There is probably about 25 % of the Sport Fisherman out of Loreto at this moment compared to the Eightys.

The Locals have been netting and using Spearguns for many years-

I beleive that some of the decline around the Park is due to the Stoppage of the Shrimpers, the Catch Limit and that many of todays Fisherman use Electronic gear instead of their Brains and Eyes.
How many of the Fisherman do you know that would go out and spend the nite to catch Yellowtail at first light as they start to Feed-I wager not Many!
How many go beyond Catalana for the best Yellowfin Fishing. North to the Reef

Most of your so-called Experts on the "Ruining of the Sea of Cortez" are Book learners with no Experience. Go to Mulege contact Alex and ask him how many fish and Bait he saw when he took "Mosco from Loreto "Fishing last month.

The Babble you read from the so-called experts is False , so what do you base your words on???

I base mine on Experience.

Skeet/Of the Sea
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 09:07 PM

So, Igor, is this predictable enough for you?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 06:11 AM

Pompano: years back in the early 70"s you could get a Bucket full of Clams at the bottom of Conception, then about 300 Clammers showed up and took aout the Clams by the Millions, now I hear that there are many Clams back in that area.

Can you comfirm that Clams are back in Conception?? If so just wonder why they came back?? Could be like the Yellows and others, they decline in certain Areas then come back.

Nature is a very strange thing. I have wondered even about the Marlin Fishing off of Cabo. All those Marlin being taken, yet they are still there.

The Millons of Fish taken out of the Sea and yet I go fishing an see Millons of Fish off of Pt. San Teresa along with Bait and Birds that I haven"t seen in several years.

Also interesting to see the Large Amount of Birds, especially the Pelicans.

If there is no Fish then How come so many Pelicans, Fat and Sassy??

I am beginning to think that some of the Naysayers are just Talkers and have never Experienced the Sea of Cortez.

Skeet/Of the Sea
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 06:51 AM

This started out as an informative and lively thread; turned a bit comical and now has slid into sadness. We're either getting our chain royally yanked or witnessing the onset of dementia. I hope for the former.:(

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 08:06 AM

I cast a vote for the latter.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I cast a vote for the latter.

Disagree Dan.
Old Skeet is too clever and I believe he's yanking your chain.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 10:12 AM

Santigo:
Are you Afraid of us Ole Folks who have lived our Dream??

Are you afraid that your Weak Minded un experienced mind and Body will not be able to Survive? Sheep, Sheep Dogs and Wolves.

Are you Afarid Ole Al Gore may be Wrong, that what we see of the Sea and land is just another Stage in the ever changing way of Nature.

Are you afraid that the Sierra Club will become no more as their Donors kids grow up to understand their False Words?

Oh! you helpless Babies! Striving for the Future only by attempting to Tear Down that has gone before You. Failing to put effort into the Positive.Only thinking of your Lonely Self ,Bitter to the End, as you'Watch the Nekid Lady riding a Motorcycle in the Streets of San Francisco.

Skeet/Of the Sea
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 10:29 AM

Pescador

fish stocks in Abreojos? ...the lobster and abalone are watched carefully and continue to offer hope to the towns.

finfish? gillnetting the esteros (world wide biospheres) is obviously not helping to repopulate any species. Seen one gill net haul in Coyote, the bycatch kill was nothing less then staggering. Went out a few times with the fish trap boys, "nothing" goes back.

I've only been fishing Ojos the last five years and the fishing opportunities have certainly diminished with "local fish". The pelagic species are there for the catching.

But maybe it's just me, an "inexperienced" fisherman.

Not enough thought given to the future generations of Mexicans.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-13-2008 at 11:29 AM

with all the arguments for and against the decline or percieved decline fo the fishery there is one fact:

the activity photographed in don alley's images is blatantly illegal and clearly against the regulations of the marine park. these guys aren't supposed to be netting wthin 300 meters of the shoreline off Isla Carmen from April 1 through August 30.

it took two days to recieve a response from the marine park to my complaint with these images. they said they would check it out and want to surprize the persons performing the illegal activity. to my question of "what do we buy these marine park tickets for" which was asked within my complaint, their response was basically "because you have to". i'm not gonna hold my breath for them to do the right thing but we shoulc also bring these complaints to GEA and Eco Alianza Loreto because these two organizations FUND the park through tens of thousands of dollars of private funding. Its time to notify those who make those donations as to how their money us being used.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.