BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: How many Nomads are hunters?
cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 03:55 AM

Another Nomad Hunter here !
Born/raised in Minnesota,San Deigo/Gonzaga Bay now
Birds mainly,deer and pig always possible !
hey....wheres the pic upload button ?
I got a great pic of myself and my best bud sittin on the beach here at Gonzaga

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 04:01 AM
pic

pic upload

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 06:10 AM

Hunted chukars in the high desert of eastern Oregon near the south fork of the John Day river. Got plenty of exercise.:D When you get 'em up you better not miss.
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 10:15 AM

It has been great to read other Nomads hunting experiences, was beginning to think that hunting was a dead issue in Baja. I have spent my entire life hunting; birds, varmits, elk, deer, bear, pigs. I always liked catching fish but never really liked to fish, hence took up spearfishing, more like hunting.

After the FBI honed my long range precision shooting skills, I took up varmit hunting; ground squirrels, rock chucks, prarie dogs. Hence when asked by non afficianados I say I do "grand squirrel habitat restoration". The greenies koo and smile, sort of a warm feeling seems to come over them.

One of my favorite stories, of my misbegotten youth, concerns Catalina Island. I went on a guided goat hunting trip with my father for some kind of goat that they had there. The guide pointed out one of the animals on the side of a cliff with a canyon several hundred feet down. I took up a prone position and the guide said; "shoot", my dad screamed; "don't shoot". The guide yelled; "shoot , shoot now", my dad said; "don't shoot". I was under the impression we had come to Catalina to kill a goat, not sure why my father would say not to shoot , I took the guides advice and shot. Wham, thump. Then I watched the goat fall all the way to the bottom of the canyon. My dad, gave a disgusted response and said; "now go get him." I got down to the bottom of the canyon, where it was very hot and no water. The guide was there too, smiling broadly. The goats horns had been broken off and when I picked up the animal, it felt like a giant bag of jello.
I learned a lesson that day.

Unfortunately a lot of the pheasant habitat is being destroyed in Oregon as the farmers are plowing to the ends of their fields, thus there is no wild underbrush for pheasnats to take cover. Recently many of the farmers are losing their land to the bank and the fields are growing wild, maybe the pheasants will come back.

Great column enjoy many of the posts.
Jim D.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Of course it does, Dennis. How many shots does it usually take there?:saint:

...and is the game edible:?::?:

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 10:31 AM

Used to hunt mule deer every year in eastern sierras, and chukers on local (Ridgecrest/ China Lake) lava flows in between, but then I got transferred to DC. The definition of hunting in Maryland/ Virginia was freezing you a$$ off siting in a deer stand with a rifled slug in shotgun waiting for deer to come by or hidden/ camouflaged making stuipd noises waiting for turkey to get within range. Sold all my rifles and shotguns and gave up hunting.

Bob Durrell
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 11:28 AM

durrelllrobert, Turkey hunting is a great sport, calling 'em up close making those "stupid noises" is a real challenge. And it does indeed get cold waiting on that deer to come by, but that's the way is back east. If my hunting was limited to Maryland/Virginia I'd probably give it up also.:D
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 12:01 PM

Not much of a hunter,although have done some. Deer, bear, pheasant, dove etc. here 2 ,to me, funny anecdotes.
Had a friend who raised pheasants and ran a club out of Sacramento. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, although I had plenty of chances at that club. Suckers started to make fun of me, and at one time, while we were releasing fresh birds to the clubgrounds, they made me an offer.
" Get ready Van, and lets see if you can hit this one " and they threw a fresh rooster into the air. And I still managed to miss the sucker. Oh well !! Lucky bird. Rather have chicken any time.:biggrin:
Did draw a shoot at one of the large refuges in northern Ca.
Rainy, nasty fall night. Got on the refuge in the early morning dark. No idea where to go. If you listen to other hunters, mistake, they don't want competition, and send you to a wrong location. Had a canvas folding type of stool, borrowed from a friend. First shot, canvas broke, and since we were in about a 11/2' of marsh water, I did get rather wet. Only bird I hit that day, landed about 6' away and apparently managed to grab onto something underwater, since I never did get to see it. Only thing I ended up with was a pneumonia, which lasted for a week or so.:no::no:
Also, ruined the tranny in my truck, driving logging roads while deer hunting, fell into the American River while tryig to clean up at the end of the day.
Have a few, even better ones, but to long for this forum.
And now for all the REAL hunter comments...........:yes::yes:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 12:11 PM

vandenberg, You're a REAL honest hunter.;D
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5orion
Another Nomad Hunter here !
Born/raised in Minnesota,San Deigo/Gonzaga Bay now
Birds mainly,deer and pig always possible !
hey....wheres the pic upload button ?
I got a great pic of myself and my best bud sittin on the beach here at Gonzaga

Hi cj5oriion,
I see you might be having some normal difficulty in posting a photo here. There are several threads that can help you. Here's just one. Do a 'search' for photo posting, resizing, etc. for other threads if you like You will find lots of help here. And...Good to see you on the forum.

I have a place in Minnesota..on Lake of the Woods, great walleyes and birds. Born and also live in ND. Best waterfowling in the world. Come along next fall.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23465#pid2134...
Good luck and good hunting.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Not much of a hunter,although have done some. Deer, bear, pheasant, dove etc. here 2 ,to me, funny anecdotes. ...
Had a friend who raised pheasants and ran a club out of Sacramento. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, although I had plenty of chances at that club. Suckers started to make fun of me, and at one time, while we were releasing fresh birds to the clubgrounds, they made me an offer.
" Get ready Van, and lets see if you can hit this one " and they threw a fresh rooster into the air. And I still managed to miss the sucker. Oh well !! Lucky bird. Rather have chicken any time.:biggrin:

Have a few, even better ones, but to long for this forum.
And now for all the REAL hunter comments...........:yes::yes:

Ed...I feel your pain. We've all been there one time or another. ONE thing I can tell you for sure, though...

YOU MUST STAY ALERT! BE READY TO TAKE THE SHOT!

Quote:
Originally posted by 3464james
It has been great to read other Nomads hunting experiences, was beginning to think that hunting was a dead issue in Baja. I have spent my entire life hunting; birds, varmits, elk, deer, bear, pigs. I always liked catching fish but never really liked to fish, hence took up spearfishing, more like hunting.

After the FBI honed my long range precision shooting skills, I took up varmit hunting; ground squirrels, rock chucks, prarie dogs. Hence when asked by non afficianados I say I do "grand squirrel habitat restoration". The greenies koo and smile, sort of a warm feeling seems to come over them.

One of my favorite stories, of my misbegotten youth, concerns Catalina Island. I went on a guided goat hunting trip with my father for some kind of goat that they had there. The guide pointed out one of the animals on the side of a cliff with a canyon several hundred feet down. I took up a prone position and the guide said; "shoot", my dad screamed; "don't shoot". The guide yelled; "shoot , shoot now", my dad said; "don't shoot". I was under the impression we had come to Catalina to kill a goat, not sure why my father would say not to shoot , I took the guides advice and shot. Wham, thump. Then I watched the goat fall all the way to the bottom of the canyon. My dad, gave a disgusted response and said; "now go get him." I got down to the bottom of the canyon, where it was very hot and no water. The guide was there too, smiling broadly. The goats horns had been broken off and when I picked up the animal, it felt like a giant bag of jello.
I learned a lesson that day.

Unfortunately a lot of the pheasant habitat is being destroyed in Oregon as the farmers are plowing to the ends of their fields, thus there is no wild underbrush for pheasnats to take cover. Recently many of the farmers are losing their land to the bank and the fields are growing wild, maybe the pheasants will come back.

Great column enjoy many of the posts.
Jim D.

Hola Jim....Certainly know what you mean about taking the best shot for a particular condition.

Per the photo above...Once, Nomad aquaholic was alongside me when I long-distanced a nice fat muley..and, as luck would have it, a ledge gave way, and it ended up at the bottom of a very steep canyon. One side of his rack had busted off...but we're venison shooters, racks are just a plus.

We worked our way down and looked the situation over.

Grim..grim..grim. The haulout was gonna kill us for sure.

Now Aquaholic always had a great sense of humor..and captured this moment by saying, "Hey, LongRanger...Hungry?..Let's build a fire and have breakfast..lunch..and then DINNER!"

We were a couple of tired young guys when we finally got that deer back to the Blazer. Made some terrific speekachut later that week, though...mmm.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 12:16 PM
THE LAST ANIMAL I EVER KILLED. NEVER AGAIN!

900 PLUS YARD SHOT. MY BEST EVER AND MY WORST EVER!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 03:21 PM

David..you know, and I know, that taking a 900 yard shot ..at a deer... is just plumb wrong. I would say that you have made the right decision to quit killing any animals.

Hunt responsibly.. respect the hunt, stalk, kill with certainty.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
David..you know, and I know, that taking a 900 yard shot ..at a deer... is just plumb wrong. I would say that you have made the right decision to quit killing any animals.

AYE AYE SIR!

estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah save those shots for Osama Bin Laden and his pals!:biggrin:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Quote:

AYE AYE SIR!

Don't get me wrong, David. I respect 'your' decision. You are a good man to have done so.

True..the kill is the culmination of hunt. We're not fishing here; there's no catch-and-release option, it's all or nothing.
The kill is not the bottom line reason for the hunt, but it cannot be removed from the equation.

There are many types of hunting, but only one real type of hunter. The true hunter is respectful of others and of their property. He has great respect for his prey, and will never, ever shoot when he doesn't reasonably expect to kill cleanly.

Having said that, there is still one helluva lot more to hunting than the kill. This is what I think you have found out, David...and I'm sure you are satisfied with that. I applaud you.

You know about the other benefits that hunting brings:

Kindred spirits who love nature..creating strong friendships that span lifetimes.

An appreciation for the comical aspect of nature.

Heritage. Father-son relationships strengthened.

...and always great incentive to decorate your decoy trailer.;D

Yeah..you'll be out there enjoying it all as much as any of us..even if you don't shoot anything. :yes:

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 06:45 PM

I am a hunter as well, have a german shorthair, I lived in MT for 10 years and shot many a deer, elk, and lots of birds. I quit hunting waterfowl because as much as I love to shoot them...I just can't stomach them.. I also have hunted Turkeys, which are a great challenge, as well as Antelope.

Thanks for all the great photos...

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 06:59 PM

Pompano thank you for the butt chewing. I deserved it 20 plus years ago and never got it. I can now say I have finally received it. Thank you again!

David

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 02:21 PM

I bet the youngster in the picture with the birds got a good talking to on gun handling after posing with the gun barrel leaning on his belly.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 03:35 PM

George you gonna be at ML's for the 4th?
do you have the lat long for his strip?
i thot it was 48OR in the database but not his.
looking for 1900 ft of grass??
how ya bean??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

how ya bean??

Has anyone ever talked to you about that phrase? :lol::lol:

Oh, yeah....I remember now. :saint:
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.