Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: The Border's Massive Litter Problem
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 12:50 AM

The lessons a child learns are taught while they are young and re enforced by their own parents behavior. Nothing more - nothing less...

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 01:03 AM

Quote:

for the ugly American thing, perhaps no other citizenry other than France travels with the sense of superiority that Americnas do. Never really understood it

Now thats' an understatement I can testify about!:mad:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull

Which negative comments have been slashed, old wise one?

Reminds me of a shrink I used to see when he'd ask me about memory loss..."How much do you forget?"
We should have exchanged seats.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajack
Well just that's another way of saying they don't give a crap.

That's the bottom line.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:

for the ugly American thing, perhaps no other citizenry other than France travels with the sense of superiority that Americnas do. Never really understood it

Now thats' an understatement I can testify about!:mad:

As a long time Park Ranger, I can assure you that every Country on earth has it's share of, shall we say, OBNOXIOUS people traveling the world and insulting others. Actually, in the Parks, it was seldom the Norte Americans that gave us the most problems---------we found that the visitors from so-called newly successful Countries were the worst-----they were feeling their oats and really were into themselves with their new found wealth-----seemed to make them more insensitive to those around them. (which I suppose is understandable). The other "problem" folks were the very rich and powerful--------they thought they owned the place. :lol:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 05:41 PM

Not to mention that it is impossible to sell real estate during a depression.
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 1-28-2009 at 06:42 PM
Oh yeah?

Quote:
Originally posted by lillian
In the last year or so, many of the brightest and most interesting folks have been banned here for no other reason than telling it like it is.

Here's the list:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=list&desc=as...

Please point to the 'best and brightest'.

So many to choose from. :rolleyes:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Not to mention that it is impossible to sell real estate during a depression.

Not sure how this fits in, but two houses in foreclosure in my neighborhood just sold------the value compared to the asking price was just too much to pass up. Of course this is only a recession, not a depression (???). These were not "spec" buyers, either----families actually moved in.

Barry
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 11:22 PM

It only took two years, and I'm being generous, before anyone acknowledged a recession. Fact is that with thousands of jobs being cut monthly, who knows where this is going to go. There's a stigma attached to the word depression, but by all measurements, even if you don't want to use the word, we're in for a long, hard ride.

Nice to know two families had the resources, and apparently, the jobs to get the financing. Just saying that you need to hold on to your hat.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
In the last year or so, many of the brightest and most interesting folks have been banned here for no other reason than telling it like it is.

Here's the list:

Dave - I looked at the list and had honestly forgotten about most of them. Thanks for the reminder and good laugh...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Here's the list:

I wonder why there was a Massive spike in bannings in 2008?.....:?: Heck, in 2005 there were NONE.

I even see there is a "BajaTacoMan" just banned in 2009. Based on his name, he can't be too bad...:)

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the list:

I wonder why there was a Massive spike in bannings in 2008?.....:?: Heck, in 2005 there were NONE.

I even see there is a "BajaTacoMan" just banned in 2009. Based on his name, he can't be too bad...:)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also, many have left who were not banned ...

CaboRon

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 10:41 AM

Quote:

Here's the list:

But lest you forget, AT LEAST 28 of 2008 bannees on that list are the same person; Fulano, et al!!:lol:

I don't mourn the loss of anyone on the banned list, but I do miss the wisdom, knowledge & wit of many who've gotten disgusted & stopped posting!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:29 AM

I noticed a couple posts this morning looking a lot like someone on the list who just keeps coming back under a new name. Sounds like obsessive-compulsive behavior to me.

Maybe a higher dose of lithium might help them...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe they just have multiple personalities????

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

[Edited on 1-29-2009 by BajaGringo]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz

I don't mourn the loss of anyone on the banned list, but I do miss the wisdom, knowledge & wit of many who've gotten disgusted & stopped posting!

I sure miss HoseA and Roberto---both are a real loss and both are really nice people----but no one can convince them to come back.

EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 06:29 PM

On the trash issue,
I was taking a bunch of kids to school one day, all 30 of them packed in my van, and one boy noticed the small bag in the van that was for trash. He just stared at it and then said "Brother, do you want me to throw that bag of trash out the window?" and I said "NO, I fill this up with trash and then throw it away when I get home". He then kind of looked at me as if I was an idiot and said "But if you throw it out the window you won't see it anymore and there will be no trash in your car". It took some doing and lots of cleaning, but soon enough those little ankle biters stopped throwing trash, apple cores, orange peels out the window and started to fill up my bag,,,of course still thinking that I was an idiot for carrying trash around. I think there is some kind of mentality that tells the locals that as long as you don't have it in front of you it's not your responsibility, so if you toss your trash out the window it's not your problem any more, and the trash that you do see is not your problem as well because you are not the one that threw it out the window.
Like with many other things, there is just a very few select that care, there are few that really have some genuine pride. There are too many that feel that as long as the trash is not in their hands it's not there problem----kind of like that story of the King that had no cloths. There is a very strong "false pride in country", well that is except for Monday when the kids march the flag around.
Another funny thing I heard a year ago was that the city of San Diego was going to do this big environmental study to find out what is causing the sudden increase of road side trash---I just about fell out of my car and felt like asking them to pay me and I've give the answer right away,,,,,first I'd point South, and then I'd point at the many legal and illegals from Mexico that live in San Diego, then say,,,there ya go end of story, end of study,,,now pay up.
Yea, I hate the trash to, and I'm taking pictures of trash that we find in the most beautiful and remote areas, and someday I'll edit them and post them as a slide show to maybe give some awareness to the problem.----eshhhh
who am I kidding :rolleyes:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 06:37 PM

perceptive, Slim!:light:

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 06:46 PM
EnseNADAslim

I enjoyed your reading your post, keep up your efforts....it takes time , but I'm a firm believer that chipping away for change a tiny bit at a time CAN be the beginning of a groundswell!

Interesting fact, when I looked for litter bags here in La Paz, both NAPA & Quakerstate looked at me like I was crazy & also suggested I throw it out the window! Nomad Motoged was kind enough to bring me a really cool one from Canada...for which I'll be eternally grateful!!:bounce:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 07:14 PM

on a side note regarding the banned posters and the allegation that some re-sign up under new aliases,

can the administrator ping the person who is going to be banned for their IP address and block that IP address? It' won't stop someone who uses public computers, but I would suspect that would be the extreme minority. Most members use the same computer.

And regarding the litter, I also enjoyed reading 'slim's perspective.

This seems to reflect the same attitude I heard in December about people in Kenya. Very briefly, we were talking with some members of another church who had been doing mission trips to Kenya for several years. One of the projects they had been working on was teaching the local men how to find water and dig wells. The mission members would help them and supply them with materials needed for the well.

As a few years went by, they revisited some of the previous wells to find them in disrepair. They figured out the issue is with cultural attitudes. It is the women's responsibility to fetch the water, so why would a man care if the well was in the village or if she had to walk 2 miles to the river? As long as the water was there when he wanted it, there's no motivation for the men of the village to dig a well!

As long as it doesn't affect the person directly, extra effort things like litter and well digging will not be done. The education of how litter affects the person directly is the only way to get that person to care whether there is broken glass or feces of all types on the beach where the little ones play.

People will still have the attitude of "well, I swam there and didn't get sick". I've fought a local "battle" against unlicensed food vendors selling at the local farmer's market and heard that exact sentiment. "I ate the tamale's and didn't get sick!" My response "well, you got lucky........because any hazardous meat/bean product that sits ar room temperature for 4+ hours is a sickness waiting to happen."

I know things can go to extremes, and I also think people need to let their bodies build up some immunities, but you have to have some common sense. Garbage, feces, dead carcasses........you may not be able to see it behind the bush or hill, but what are the chances it won't contaminate your water?

It is a long uphill educational battle.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-29-2009 at 07:19 PM

Quote:

It is a long uphill educational battle.

yes it is. just like my walks to school AND home when i was a wee lad.:light:

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.