Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Black Marlin in Bahia Asuncion
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 03:26 PM

I believe the BD forum would roast whole anybody telling them what to kill or not kill. A few would jump at the defense of billfish for sure. Some of those people are here on this thread. Not trying to defend, but the BDer"s as a majority are great guys. Sometimes the mob mentality takes over, even here! Maybe that is one reason I spend much more time here as of late, than on the BD Baja section. I have many interests in Baja other than fishing, and I find the company here more enjoyable, with a few exceptions.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 04:30 PM

I was thinking how amazing it was that they caught it on a jig. Normally marlin don't hit those.
They will hit a fast trolled feather or a well presented live bait.
My guess is that they were jigging for tuna and yellowtail and just got incredibly lucky.
It is a bit scrawny for a black marlin so I'm guessing it was very hungry.
They were very lucky. I hope the town enjoys the feast!

Again it's legal to keep 1 billfish per day. So it really is the angler's choice whether to harvest the fish or not.
And it really isn't anybody else's business if he does keep it.
But you can all continue to pretend that you have a say in it. But you don't unless you catch the fish yourself. Then you can let it go if you want.
:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 04:33 PM

That would be classified as a once in a lifetime "incidental catch"!
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 06:33 PM

But not considered as "unwanted byproduct" and discarded by a purse seiner. You are right Mike, I have not caught a lot of billfish, but do not recall hearing of one on a surface or yo-yo iron. Probably got lost, wandered north, and ate the wrong bait fish! I can almost assure you all that meat was put to good use.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 06:55 PM

last time in BA we were yo-yoing off punta jurel with that same jig. a 30# YFT hit it ON THE DROP!!!!

you never know!

edit: foto

[Edited on 12-5-2009 by woody in ob]

IRT4510-2adylure.jpg - 38kB

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 07:00 PM

This photo seems to fit. Here's a medium-sized striper on a Punta Pescadero boat, with the tag ready to go in the right foreground. He was tagged successfully and released. The tag was provided by California Fish and Game (go figger?). I filled out the information on the form, which was linked to the tag, and mailed it to the DFG. About a year later I got a letter saying that this fish was caught on a longline off the northern island of Japan.

carpe diem!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 07:47 PM

fishbuck, I had to get out my magnifying glass, but you are correct--that blur I thought was a plastic bill is actually a metal ring.

Good eyes. I too am amazed the marlin hit that, unless they were trolling it, maybe? I know I have been lazy and moved a short distance without reeling up my line.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2009 at 09:31 AM

Everything from bluefin to lingcod will hit a yo-yo iron. Has anyone one this board every caught a billfish on iron, or heard of such? Interesting! Enquiring minds want to know! Pam? Shari? Pescador?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 09:16 AM

I have taken quite a few billfish on a yo-yo or iron but the biggest problem with that is when the fish starts coming up on top and shaking their head, most times they will throw the jig and if they are close to the boat, you find that they have thrown the jig back at you in what could only be described as retribution.
Dorado will do this too and I usually try not to hook either dorado or billfish with a jig because the headshaking is very strong and with the 5-7 oz. of weight of the jig, it becomes a deadly missle when it comes flying back. I had a pretty good sized dent in the side of my old aluminum boat that came from a smaller sized sailfish, and I often speculated about what it would have done to my body if it had hit with the same force.
I thought about that when the black marlin in the picture was shown as they were just plain lucky to get enough of a hookup in the side of the mouth to keep this fish on the line.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 09:51 AM

I too have caught several Marlin on Salas Jigs especially trolling around Catalina Island.

Also have caught two Marlin on Rapallas off of Coronado Island.

Skeet
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 03:51 PM

Thanks guys, guess I can dream of a striped marlin hitting the Rapalas and jigs I troll between Cantamar and Sausipuedes! Water stays real cold there is the problem. Need to get the Invader finished. Don't worry, any billfish will be CPR!! In the water Pam.:tumble:
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2009 at 10:23 PM

If you look hard enough you can tell the sushi is not from the Marlin and nobody said it was. Looks like lobster to me. Being that it is lobster season in BA I woud guess they were eating lunch after catching the Marlin
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:17 PM

WOW....I was wondering when someone was going to hook up one of these. We often see them on the fishing grounds but I hadnt heard of anyone catching one till now....I bet they were thrilled.
Now, this thread serves us well as food for thought just in case we hook one of those babies one day. I appreciate all the input....Pam...you are my hero...or is it heroin?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
WOW....I was wondering when someone was going to hook up one of these. We often see them on the fishing grounds but I hadnt heard of anyone catching one till now....I bet they were thrilled.
Now, this thread serves us well as food for thought just in case we hook one of those babies one day. I appreciate all the input....Pam...you are my hero...or is it heroin?

I had "heroin" once.......uhhhhhh....never mind:lol::lol:...dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 06:57 AM

She's a hero. Heroins are book characters.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 07:16 AM

heroines

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.