BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: REQUEST FOR PERMISSION TO EMBED SOUND IN A THREAD YOU GENERATE [MANUAL PLAY IS ON]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 07:30 PM

David

I think its time I tell you what I really think.

1. You have started a thread that will never be allowed by Doug who is probably on vacation now so on it goes.

2. I for one, if I thought there was uncalled for music in the thread would not enter or leave immediately.

3. I think it would be infringing on our rights even if the poster said it was OK because it may not be OK for the person entering the post.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 07:35 PM

HELL NO!!

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
HELL NO!!

I will take that as a:

2. “No Elinvesti8 I do not give you my permission to embed sounds into a thread I generate here on Baja Nomad.”

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
David

I think its time I tell you what I really think.

1. You have started a thread that will never be allowed by Doug who is probably on vacation now so on it goes.

2. I for one, if I thought there was uncalled for music in the thread would not enter or leave immediately.

3. I think it would be infringing on our rights even if the poster said it was OK because it may not be OK for the person entering the post.

Comitan,
Thank you for your opinion. Nicely said.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
Quote:
HELL NO!!

I will take that as a:

2. “No Elinvesti8 I do not give you my permission to embed sounds into a thread I generate here on Baja Nomad.”

If it was up to me, i wouldn't even let you use avatars or animated images as well.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 08:37 PM

Quote:

If it was up to me, i wouldn't even let you use avatars or animated images as well.

Thank you Jesse. Your vote has been duly noted and registered!

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:04 PM

This is all pretty strange.

We can post videos that have audio and no one has a problem with that. But many, including myself initially, object to only audio. Why is that?

The reason is many times audio is embedded so that it starts automatically and if you don't want to hear it you have to turn it off. The proper method is to require the user to take action to turn it on, it should default to off.

To do this you need a simple control.

These folks have a nice solution. It's a small control that is displayed in line with your text. Bajanomad will have to get into the admin part of the system and create a custom bbcode tag and enter the html that will be inserted in place of the tag when the page renders. It's all here, a quick look indicates it will work with XMB (this system) but it will take some effort and you may not be able to get all that is needed off their server:

http://www.entertonement.com/static/samples

See the "Hear It Inline!" paragraph about 1/2 down the page.

Audio that starts automatically when the page loads should not be used anywhere on the Internet. It's usually the amateurs that do it.

[Edited on 1-2-2010 by k-rico]
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:28 PM

David Im not going to say no or yes, but for some people their threads are very personal. What make you think about doing this, just curious.. Jose

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
David Im not going to say no or yes, but for some people their threads are very personal. What make you think about doing this, just curious.. Jose

BajaCat I'm just asking permission of those who would allow it to allow me to embed some approriate sound in the thread they generate i.e a song, music, etc. Those who tell me no of course I will always respect that. It's pretty simple and forthright. Just another avenue of creativity. Nothing more sinister than that. As with anything else posted here a few people get positively offensive. But hey, their vote has been duly noted and registered. David

Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:41 PM

NO, GRACIAS.:dudette:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

BajaCat I'm just asking permission of those who would allow it to allow me to embed some approriate sound in the thread they generate i.e a song, music, etc. Those who tell me no of course I will always respect that. It's pretty simple and forthright. Just another avenue of creativity. Nothing more sinister than that. As with anything else posted here a few people get positively offensive. But hey, their vote has been duly noted and registered. David
David thanks for your honest answer and good luck.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:46 PM

For me, the issue is not that of the audio itself. I thought the audio of the plane on Capt. Mike’s thread was clever and amusing. I took issue with perpetuating rumors and screwing with someone’s livelihood. The whole cat tangent on a restaurant review was so wrong on so many levels, especially following an honest, positive review that was offered in the spirit of doing a good deed for a worthy Baja restaurant. I can only imagine the hurt in the eyes of Sin Lee’s owners if they were to learn that a bunch of thoughtless, juvenile yuksters were playing around with their reputation. Yeah...like they could afford that in this economy. And the smear will remain to be read over & over again.

I said "No" because I would not trust your judgment.

Quote:
Thank You JrBaja for inventing the name Chicken Coop Grouper (CCG). Boy is sure fits well here with a few!

Do you even know the story behind that?? I have the dubious honor (?) of being the inspiration behind that rant and that makes me a charter member.

A few years ago after a camping trip with three other women, I posted a trip report and included some disappointments about amenities, considering what we had paid and what was promised, but we still had a good time. When two of the other women posted in agreement to the issues I had mentioned, JR was quick to label us a bunch of hens...cluck, cluck, and a relentless smear campaign against us began. He got real ugly. “N” word ugly.

JR was a classic bully, and he was pretty proud of himself for that mess and the term morphed into the gender-neutral Chicken Coop Group, which just denotes a group of people who agree on a subject and voice opinions in support of each other. So what?

And now you know the rest of the story.....Good day.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 09:50 PM

ELINVESTI8,

Did you read my last post? Embedding audio and embedding video is the same thing from a user acceptance point of view IF the audio player behaves as the current video player; i.e., it defaults to off.

You asking permission of everybody misses the fact that others may want to post audio files. Aren't others allowed to do it? And I don't see the logic. It may be OK with the person who starts the thread and very annoying to the majority of others reading the thread. Eventhough you appear to being considerate by asking, you're being considerate of only the person who starts the thread and no one else who participates. It doesn't make sense.

The system admin will need to modify the system to play audio files. The control that is picked to be used should default to off. The reader needs to take action to hear the audio.

Embedding audio files that start automatically when the page loads should be a violation of the terms of use.

This solution works for everybody, pro and anti audio folks alike.

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 10:06 PM

"I took issue with perpetuating rumors and screwing with someone’s livelihood. The whole cat tangent on a restaurant review was so wrong on so many levels, especially following an honest, positive review that was offered in the spirit of doing a good deed for a worthy Baja restaurant. I can only imagine the hurt in the eyes of Sin Lee’s owners if they were to learn that a bunch of thoughtless, juvenile yuksters were playing around with their reputation. "

You give yourself to much credit. I eat at Sin Lees and I have never seen any one of you guys in there. Dont give the website so much credit. It just isnt happening. Now as far as ELINVEST dubbing sound on my posts go for it. Ifothers dont like it they can just turn down thier speakers. I've never met a bunch of sniveling cry babys as I have on this post. Grow up you bunch of babys!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 05:56 AM

Jeans this thread is titled: REQUEST FOR PERMISSION TO EMBED SOUND IN A THREAD YOU GENERATE…

You have replied:

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

I of course will respect that and do not think I need comment further about that.

I will say this, since I mentioned CCG in the thread. Although the remark was not directed at you specifically, I will give you high marks for admitting what you quoted below and thank you for sharing your story about JrBaja. It was a hoot.

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
…Chicken Coop Group, which just denotes a group of people who agree on a subject and voice opinions in support of each other. So what?...

I think we can now move on as the first part of your dissertation should be placed in the thread labeled: BAJA Themed Avatars and Chinese food at Sin Lee's respectively.

Whew. I guess we can move forward now. Have a blessed day Jeans.

Sincerely,

David Elinvesti8 M.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
ELINVESTI8,

Did you read my last post? Embedding audio and embedding video is the same thing from a user acceptance point of view IF the audio player behaves as the current video player; i.e., it defaults to off.

You asking permission of everybody misses the fact that others may want to post audio files. Aren't others allowed to do it? And I don't see the logic. It may be OK with the person who starts the thread and very annoying to the majority of others reading the thread. Eventhough you appear to being considerate by asking, you're being considerate of only the person who starts the thread and no one else who participates. It doesn't make sense.

The system admin will need to modify the system to play audio files. The control that is picked to be used should default to off. The reader needs to take action to hear the audio.

Embedding audio files that start automatically when the page loads should be a violation of the terms of use.

This solution works for everybody, pro and anti audio folks alike.

Yes I read it K-Rico. Thank you for your input!:biggrin:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
NO, GRACIAS.:dudette:

I will take that as a:

BajaSerg
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 07:52 AM

No thanks
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaSerg
No thanks

I will take that as a:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2010 at 02:09 PM

I am more interested in why you you keep persuing this. Obviously the majority here do not like to jump up to turn down their blaring speakers because you might want to embed the sound of a Trophy Truck driving by.

So you take a poll which in turn reflects a general consensus although it seems to me you are just waiting for Doug to decide.

So is this whole exercise a grand waste of all of our time?:?:

Let it go man.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.