Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Four Wheel Pop Up Campers
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 03:36 PM

I believe I saw this same vehicle on the lot at the VW dealer in La Paz. Not available in the US. Looks like the ultimate travel vehicle.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/19/business/fi-neil19

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by Bajahowodd]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 07:44 AM

Here's a Grandby FS in the Denver area. 1700. looks to be a nice older model.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1545214355.html
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 10:09 AM

anybody mention outfittermfg.com? the make a really nice , aluminum framed po-up camper. comes with all the bells and whistles included( things thta four wheeler consider as "options")
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 03:15 PM
For Sale

For sale: While we are on the subject I have a 4x4 Wheel pop up camper Grandby for sale. Has propane frig, 2 burner stove, 10 gal water tank and sink, camper jacks, vent fan. $2000.00 or best offer. Contact webmb@att.net If you are intrested or know someone who is intrested please pass on my contact info. Thanks

for sale.JPG - 32kB
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 11:48 AM
Great deal

My wife can't understand why I still have two popup 4x4 campers. Doesent someone want an old seasoned 4 wheel pop up camper?

If intrested see last post.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I believe I saw this same vehicle on the lot at the VW dealer in La Paz. Not available in the US. Looks like the ultimate travel vehicle.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/19/business/fi-neil19

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by Bajahowodd]

Thanks that is quite a change from the 1963 I had.. milage 28.9/43.4 and it weighs 3000 kg.. pretty good

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/california/weights-informat...

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Sunman,

Is that "awning" a Kelty Cabana or a Kelty Carport Shelter?

I did some research on the internet and it appears to be used primarily as a wind shelter. How effective is it doing that? I see lots of openings on bottom and side. It would be nice to have something like that on the pacific side.

Could be used for shade on the Cortez side. Cooking inside in the heat can be too much in the summer.

Skipjack,
Yes, it is a Kelty Carport "Medium". It works ok for wind but is not completely enclosed on either end. The Carport "Deluxe" model however does close off on the ends and is probably better for that use if all corners are staked down. I saw a guy with one attached to his Landcruiser over X-mas and New years and it seemed to be working well for them. The good thing about it is that it packs up to the size of a small backpacking tent.

Kelty Car Port Delux....And a silly little overpriced camper;D

DSCN2790.JPG - 32kB
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 02:34 PM

Car port delux up on stilts...

Dern, you won't be dissapointed in a 4 wheel camper purchase.
This is my second one. Thousands of offroad Baja miles on the first one, sold it for more than I paid after 10 years of dutiful service..

DSCN2793.JPG - 15kB
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Car port delux up on stilts...

TT- how does the Kelty Carport fare on a 4.0 day at the secret windsurfing spot ??
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2010 at 06:03 PM

It doubles as one of those hokey kite rigs.:lol::lol:.

Definately a wind sensitive rig. not bad when its all buttoned down..but up on stilts its about a 8 knot rig..pretty cool though, you can enclose a full size pickinick table under it buttoned down.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 07:28 AM

tomas tierra,
I see you have the kelty carport attached to your pop up camper. the website says you attach it to the roof-rack of your vehicle. How did you attach the carport to your camper?
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 12:48 PM

B&J,

The buckles that hold the pop top camper down line up perfectly with the attach device on the kelty:) your only able to utilize 2 of the 3 hold-downs on the kelty, but it works just great.

TT
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 02:18 PM

Thanks Tomas,
We're plotting a "deja vu" trip to the mainland for a couple of months next winter and this looks like a great option to create a little more living space for our pop up. Not to mention on our frequent shorter camping trips in Baja Sur.
Thanks again
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 07:20 PM

great set up for mainland, the Baja breezes get to it a bit..
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 07:48 PM

I saw these stairs used by the 4 Wheel Camper people at the Sportman's show this weekend. Getting in and out was really comfortable. Am thinking of buying them.

Anybody use them? What are their cons?

I'm thinking that their clearance may not make them suitable for baja offroading but good for everywhere else.

The 4 Wheel people don't think much of the scissor stairs they used to sell.

Dern, the new Grandby models looked real good to me. Quite a few improvements in the last 3 years.

rhs2.jpg - 5kB
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 09:31 AM
Skipjack

Quote:
I saw these stairs used by the 4 Wheel Camper people at the Sportman's show this weekend. Getting in and out was really comfortable. Am thinking of buying them.

I'm thinking that their clearance may not make them suitable for baja offroading but good for everywhere else.

Dern, the new Grandby models looked real good to me. Quite a few improvements in the last 3 years.

That's great. I'm assuming that the trade show was up north in the Sac. region. Would you mind sharing the improvements that caught your eye? Those steps look tough. It seems to me that if you're on the road, take the steps out of the receiver hitch, then when you arrive at your location put it back in. Is that how they designed it?

DERN
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:

I've been using them since I bought my 4-Wheel back in 1998, they are great. I just store them inside the door while traveling, never thought of driving with them in the receiver hitch. Rich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
That's great. I'm assuming that the trade show was up north in the Sac. region. Would you mind sharing the improvements that caught your eye? Those steps look tough. It seems to me that if you're on the road, take the steps out of the receiver hitch, then when you arrive at your location put it back in. Is that how they designed it?

DERN

Trade show was in San Mateo.

1. The roof support is now constructed in thicker plywood, therefore sturdier.
2. There are pneumatic lifts(?)that make it easier to lift up roof and add further support when it's up.
3. The stove has been replaced with one of better quality.
4. The sink cabinet has hinged doors instead of sliding ones.
5. The seating arrangements has been changed from a bench seat to seats around the table next to window.
6. The sink has been upgraded to a better quality.

Those are some things I remember.

They're now building a hard top cabover camper also. I don't know why. There are better cabovers on the market.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 03:16 PM

DERN,

Nice avatar. Congratulations.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2010 at 09:26 AM

By adding the plywood to the roof, it probably necessitated the need for the pneumatic lifts. The bottom line is it makes the camper heavier.

I was always amazed at how light the top has been, yet strong. The only problem I ever had with the top was nothing to do with it's lightness, but rather the way they mounted the Yakama rack brackets to it back in 1998, screwed into just one of the square aircraft aluminum tubes on each side of the roof. The rocking of the camper on dirt roads with kayaks mounted on top caused a torque on the tube which eventually worked a crack in the aluminum. After talking to the factory, and finding out they wanted over $1000 to repair the roof, I mounted four 3/16" tempered aluminum plates over the cracks and spread the weight distribution to two of the aluminum tubes instead of just one. Problem solved. Now the rack is bombproof and the roof is still light weight. It sounds to me like they never fully solved the problem of how to mount Yakama racks and thus the heavy plywood.
Rich
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.