BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Restrictions on quad riding on beach in BCS?
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 02:42 PM

Sadly, here in Todos Santos/Pescadero the TrtleHeads also ride quads on the beach to search for turtle nests; at nite, no less. Figure that out?! Tio
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 02:58 PM

No Problemo, ;D Out of sight and out of mind.:D But if you happen to see a few of those little fresh hatched-out turtles try to avoid running 'em over as you speed 'on down the beach in your 4x4 vehicle.:D
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Goat, you are agreeing with me about the human foot impact... However, you blindly use the word 'vehicles' without consideration as to the many different vehicles there are. Not all vehicles (or operators) cause damage... A quad, with wide, high floatation tires, driven normally, will barely depress into the sand.

You also totally missed where I said everyone should just stay away from the nests.

How about Toyota Pick Ups with poorly engineered computer chips or gas pedals?

:lol::lol::lol:

ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Sadly, here in Todos Santos/Pescadero the TrtleHeads also ride quads on the beach to search for turtle nests; at nite, no less. Figure that out?! Tio

Not hard to figure out. They are patrolling the beaches, looking for females coming up to lay their eggs. Females usually lay their eggs IN THE DARK.

They are likely removing the eggs from the nests and relocating them to protected hatcheries where they can't be driven over by vehicles illegally riding on the beach. These groups have permits and they are well aware of where it is safest to ride to minimize damage.

And I'd ride in a group too if I had to confront armed and/or belligerant turtle poachers.:)

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 03:51 PM

Most turtle poachers are hungry locals....but not all. Some people just can't stop lusting for the flavor of Turtle...I have heard from many, many, many people that turtle meat is tops when it comes to meat.

I still think coyotes, are the main killer of turtles...when you see a nest pee on it. Coyotes are afraid of himan scent, and by peeing on the nest you are telling them that's your territory.

Remember, no matter how hard it is for you econuts to watch a baby turtle struggling. If you help them you are almost gauranteeing that they will not survive. The turtles need to crawl the distance so they can get the hang of walking, which for a turtle is the same as swimming..If you help them get to the water, they will drown.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 05:44 PM

classicbajabronco, Good information. Thanks.
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 06:05 PM

oh yeah...

also don't pile sticks or flag the nest in any way to make sure no one drives over the nest.....

What you are doing is putting up a billboard to the people who want to make a turtle egg omlete saying HERE THEY ARE, COME AND GET EM!!! it makes their poaching enterprise much easier..

If you want to save the turtle get a quad, pee in a gallon jug, get a pile of 4"x4" steel mesh and cover the nest with the mess( buried of course) pour the pee on the nest, and drive down the beach and when you see a nest protect it with the mesh, coyotes cant dig through the mesh and the turtles can still climb through.

What you don't need to do is tell people..especially nationals that they can't drive on the beach...as this is a really good way to get your butt kicked.

you will never stop quads, trucks or anything else from driving on the beach, me included. You are gringos( me included) and have no rights here to speak of.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 06:26 PM

classicbajabronco, Thanks for the advice/info.:D
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 07:50 PM
if you can't beat 'em

I used to spend a few months in the year camping on the remote Oaxaca coast and would always see the early morning flashlights of turtle egg poachers while I stretched in the sand before a pre dawn surf. They would come to my tent and try selling me eggs. Sometimes by late afternoon the eggs were still unpurchased and they would take a few home and throw the rest out. Seems even the locals have their limits on disgusting slimy turtle egg shots. It was very sad and disturbing so finally out of desperation I started haggling with the guys to the point where I got the price down to 1 peso each if I bought their entire booty delivered by 9:00am. My excuse was that I surfed myself silly between 6 and 9 am so i would come in starving and nothing like a little snot-like macho turtle egg breakkie to fuel me up. They would even throw in some limes every now and then. Once my friends disappeared with their cash I would dig hidden nests and re-bury the eggs trying to match the depth and distance from the waterline of the original ones that I scouted out. I then covered the tracks. I did this for months every year and spent a few pesos in the process.
Im not sure If i saved any turtles or if i was contributing to the problem, but it seemed like a fair way to ease my conscience while simultaneously making a few deposits in the karma bank.
I remember vividly one early afternoon I was strolling down the beach to the fresh water lagoon for a cool swim and I came across a single little black turtle heading to the sea. He was pumping his cute little flippers and heading west. It was one of those moments that just brings a Big Fat Smile to your face.
It was touching and uplifting (although kind of odd that there was only one and he was going for it in the absolute middle of the day) and I will never forget him/her swimming off between my feet off into the Pacific.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 08:14 PM

BFS, Good story! Thanks.:)
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco

Remember, no matter how hard it is for you econuts to watch a baby turtle struggling. If you help them you are almost gauranteeing that they will not survive. The turtles need to crawl the distance so they can get the hang of walking, which for a turtle is the same as swimming..If you help them get to the water, they will drown.
If that is true then the turtle experts are killing the turtles they are trying to save because they help the turtles to the water after they hatch in the relocated nests. I observed that there was no way that the baby turtles could climb the tire tracks.
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If that is true then the turtle experts are killing the turtles they are trying to save because they help the turtles to the water after they hatch in the relocated nests. I observed that there was no way that the baby turtles could climb the tire tracks.

Now here's a question?

So a baby turtle can break itself out of the egg and dig itself up 2 feet through sand, under which it's mother buried it, get past all the drift wood you people bury on top of them, but It can't cross a tire rut. Is this your theory?

Or the theory of the turtle EXPERTS with a 6th grade education and no formal training to speak of. The fancy shirts don't make them an expert. Next time around ask them how they became a turtle expert. I am just going off of what I have personally seen, maybe there is an actual Turtle Expert here who can chime in(with credentials of course)

Is it just me or does this make no effing sense?
:?::?::?:
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 07:49 AM

Check this out....
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BABY-TURTLE-TW0-INCH-PIKE-BASS-KILLE...

NEW BABY TURTLE TW0 INCH PIKE & BASS KILLER LURE
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco

Now here's a question?

So a baby turtle can break itself out of the egg and dig itself up 2 feet through sand, under which it's mother buried it, get past all the drift wood you people bury on top of them, but It can't cross a tire rut. Is this your theory?

Or the theory of the turtle EXPERTS with a 6th grade education and no formal training to speak of. The fancy shirts don't make them an expert. Next time around ask them how they became a turtle expert. I am just going off of what I have personally seen, maybe there is an actual Turtle Expert here who can chime in(with credentials of course)

Is it just me or does this make no effing sense?
:?::?::?:
It's not a theory, I was skeptical too until I saw it with my own eyes.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 11:14 AM
Answer to the original question

Two-meter-wide posting of beach regs:

Photo of rigorous enforcement:

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 06:01 PM

It is often a matter of location. Before you venture on unknown beaches, you might ask locals, gringos and mexicans, what the real enforcements are. Basically, beaches are off limits for motor vehicles below the high tide line. However, Nationals drive wherever they want, and Gringos can be trashed for acting like Nationals.'
Be careful out there....................

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.