BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KI see how often Ken and other Jeep owners are not driving their Jeeps. Jeep owners have to have other cars for the times the Jeep is down.

My Jeep runs fine. I just had a Ravelco alarm system installed this week on it as a matter of fact.

[img]http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/tech/8811560+w200/0602sr_06_z+alarm_systems+ravelco_anti_theft_kit.jpg[/img]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 05:44 AM

you mean you have to plug that little cap in to drive the car

what if you loose the cap off that ring

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David KI see how often Ken and other Jeep owners are not driving their Jeeps. Jeep owners have to have other cars for the times the Jeep is down.

My Jeep runs fine. I just had a Ravelco alarm system installed this week on it as a matter of fact.

[img]http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/tech/8811560+w200/0602sr_06_z+alarm_systems+ravelco_anti_theft_kit.jpg[/img]

Ken, Ken... I promiss I will report any and all mechanic issues with my Tacoma... Please do the same with the Rubicon to be fair.

My truck now has over 7,000 miles on it and has been in the shop for only one thing besides oil changes, a tranny drip coming from the speedometer cable input plug for right hand steering models. Toyotas never drip anything on the garage floor, so it was a shocker!

My '05 with 102,000 miles on it had only one non-warantee 'failure': the air bag warning light came on and that required replacing a wire harness. The truck never broke down, but I did beef up the rear suspension with air bags and 5100 Bilstiens.

My '01 with 136,000 miles on it had a water pump replaced at 90,000 miles when a drip was seen during a maintenance service (it also never broke down). That's it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 07:51 AM

Here is something posted on another forum from a guy who goes on Jeep and Toyota trail runs...

"Yeah and unless you are prepared to drop serious cash to upgrade drive train you will be replacing everything under that Jeep. One of my runs with Jeeps turn into food fest since half of the Jeeps broke on the trail (granted it was one of the toughest trails out there)."

"Toyota guys run out of food and drinks since we spent driving for 10 min and sitting for a 1 hour waiting for Jeeps to get mended I am not gonna go again with these cars on joint run."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 08:28 AM
7 years of mostly off road-related repair work

Mechanical issues included;
2 leaking gas caps - both covered under warranty.
2 broken climate control switches that wore out over time.
1 gasoline sender unit vapor reader producing check engine light
1 worn track bar (warped tires/lift kit issue)
1 steering stabilizer (off road use issue)
2 blown MX6 shock absorbers (lift kit issue)
6 damaged stock rubber body mounts (Baja off road issue)
1 drivers side steering knuckle (due to crushing it on boulders in Tecate while rock crawling)
1 bent tie rod (again, due to rock crawling and bending it on rocks)
1 replaced windshield due to a flying rock on the freeway.
1 worn Optima Battery (red top), replaced with a Yellow Top Optima Battery.

Not bad for 110,000 miles IMO...:bounce:

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here is something posted on another forum from a guy who goes on Jeep and Toyota trail runs...

"Yeah and unless you are prepared to drop serious cash to upgrade drive train you will be replacing everything under that Jeep. One of my runs with Jeeps turn into food fest since half of the Jeeps broke on the trail (granted it was one of the toughest trails out there)."

"Toyota guys run out of food and drinks since we spent driving for 10 min and sitting for a 1 hour waiting for Jeeps to get mended I am not gonna go again with these cars on joint run."

Go on a run with the Rubicon Owners of California, and you won't see the number of breakdowns mentioned. Here's proof, not heresay:

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 08:40 AM

Thanks Ken... and sorry that you have had so many things to deal with!

Looking forward to four wheeling with you again! Remember Guadalupe Canyon to El Mano Canyon back in '03 or '04?

How is Brock and his Isuzu Trooper? He had some fun stories about going out with all you Jeep guys! ;)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
How is Brock and his Isuzu Trooper? He had some fun stories about going out with all you Jeep guys! ;)

He won't talk to me anymore. Something I said to his gf regarding her 'Bandido paranoia' finally getting to me after 48 hours...:yes:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 08:45 AM

Guess it was good that he was solo on that trip then?

So, back to the original question... do you need a big truck like an f-250 or will an F-150 work?

How about getting the one good thing I would buy from Ford if I could... A RAPTOR!!!??? :cool:

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 10:53 AM

I love my 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew Cab Shortbed with a camper shell that matches the model. I think the camper shell was made for Ford.

It still has the original suspension system, but I don't beat it up. I do take it on washboard dirt roads and often tow a trailer or a boat. It is painted silver and still looks like new with the exceptions of a few brush scratches.

It now has 96,000 miles on it. I change the oil and filters every 3,000-4,000 miles. The only problem I have ever had was that the coil boots deteriorated and caused severe misfiring on a trip to the state of Washington. This is normal wear and tear.

The interior is so-o-o comfortable! I keep the back of the rear seat down flat. My dog Paco considers it his personal penthouse suite as he has it all to himself. As long as the weather is not too hot and he has plenty of water and the rear windows open about 3", he is perfectly comfortable waiting for me, sometimes for hours. He prefers that to staying home.:yes:

I can't see upgrading or trading it in for anything newer. It looks, feels and drives like new, and it is paid for.:smug:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 11:08 AM

Nice!!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 11:15 AM

'99 F250 V-10. 117,000 when sold with only one problem during it's use, Mass air flow sensor. I purchased this truck new for Baja use only. Replaced with '06 F350 Diesel, same usage, no problems at 65,000 miles. Lots of towing and hundreds of miles of washboard road.

The '88 toyota 4x4 4 cyl. has had 0 problems in 150,000 miles. Full time in Baja for 16 years now. Purchased new.

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 12:25 PM

Very Nice!
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 02:05 PM

Baja Warrior,

I like your rig and toys! I have 2003 Excursion V10 that I use for heavy towing. I have two boats that gross 8,000# and 6,000#. No problem with the V10.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-15-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
Baja Warrior,

I like your rig and toys! I have 2003 Excursion V10 that I use for heavy towing. I have two boats that gross 8,000# and 6,000#. No problem with the V10.

Thanks!

I liked my '99 w/V10. I could get gas anywhere and oil changes anywhere but the drawback was power on the grades in hot weather. I now have the same truck but in the diesel and I do love the power it has but it doesn't get that great of mileage, 14 tops traveling not towing.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 02:31 PM

Wish all trouble free driving... be it a VW or a Tank... but, in some cases a breakdown can be fun.. if you don't get upset over a piece of machinery having a problem... they all do at some point in time...

I don't go where you guys go, nor to I have anything a nice as what you guys have... really nice setups.. and they all sound like you really like your vehicles and take good care of them...

Think that helps a lot with any of them... you got to take care of them.. they like it... I talk to mine... now how weird is that... and it has a name too.. Brownie II... Brownie 1 was a 1990 Cad Sixty Special I bought used and drove it until I gave it to my Son with 287,000 he put another 100,000 on it.. before his girl friend some how did not see a curb while driving 60 miles an hour.. and took the right front end off the car... she walked away with out a scratch...

The use Bronco I just got... 213,000 and it runs like a champ.. and get 23.4 on the open road.. in down 13-14 mpg.. but, the dogs just love it.. as do I .... the wife.. no.. it's a truck, and she can get dirty in it... :lol::lol: getting it setup for emergency's ... the Tsunami warning and then the 7.2 earthquake make me think I should have a set of wheels that might be good in an emergency and I did not want to spend a lot of money either... so for $1,7000 I got a 4 x 4... nothing as nice as what you guys have... but, it works good.

Got the SENTRI pass on it, then brought it down... has been working out really great having two cars.. one for me, when I can drive, and one for the wife.. that is clean and is not used for anything other than Calimex.. yeah I know "and the problem is?"..... ok, ok... but this is working out for all and that is good...

Just hope I have a good one, and it gives me good service ..... I don't tear up vehicles like I did when young.. yeah, I know it's fun to go fast, and even more fun to go fast where no one else can..... but, it's old age.. and driving around here at this time of the year.. little clouds in the morning, with the sun coming out around 10-12 with that nice part of the day going on till evening... man, what nice weather... not to hot for me.. but tee shirt is not enough for me anymore.. have to wear something else in the morning.. and take it off later... but it's all good

Again, thanks for show off your rigs they are truly nice.. the quality of things that are out there to day, were not really out there in early days... yeah, there were things out their, but not a 4 x 4 with the degree of comfort and amenities which we get to get even if it is a 1986 Ford Bronco... its not like a new one, but one hell of lot more comfortable than an old 4 X 4 Army surplus wagon.. with no top, canvas over your stuff, and hoped it didn't rain too long :lol:

Man the nice rides we get today, aahhhh Tone... my Austrian sheep dog has the "shotgun" seat all to himself... no one else... my Jack Russell "Scout" the super dog, like like to roll in dog crap... he's right next to me on the console... happy campers... putting down the road at the unheard of speed of "what is posted"... which is about how I like to drive around here .... slowly with the windows down, the dogs getting a nose full and me getting to fire up a cigar with no one in the world telling me NO... watch the dogs, they will die.. look out there is someone else on the road... there are cars behind us.... no... it's just us being us... and it's ok....

So with that here is what we are "tooling down Baja 1" in and if the occasion is right, stopping for a cool one.. got to do that the other day.... made me feel like a new man... was great...

So here is mine, and hope that all's keep rolling in the direction you point them

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by wessongroup]

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 05:56 PM

Nice Bronco !-- 302 V8 ? FI or Carb? I think they started the FI in mid 86.
The top comes off!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 06:22 PM

302 WITH FI.. It does, but never has...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2010 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
So, back to the original question... do you need a big truck like an f-250 or will an F-150 work?

How about getting the one good thing I would buy from Ford if I could... A RAPTOR!!!??? :cool:

To buy a pickup, I'd have to sell the Rubicon to make the downpayment. Not gonna happen. Leidys is now a pickup crazy urban cowgirl.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

To buy a pickup, I'd have to sell the Rubicon to make the downpayment. Not gonna happen. Leidys is now a pickup crazy urban cowgirl.

I am confused Ken, this is your post:

>>>Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?

I hear the Toyota gets better mileage than the F250. Anyone have anything to add? <<<

If you are not going to buy it, is Leidys? Or are you just creating a fireside chat?

Mision Santa Maria is less than 2 weeks away!

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.