Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Gringos Living in Baja
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 01:36 PM

The fact is,

More and more people are turning anti goverments, not anti nations, and more and more often goverments are in the hands of a few very powerful people, the regular folk of the world wants peace, prosperity, and fairness, and not much more, is it a sign that the current world order is getting tired? is it a sign that democracy as we know it is just not enough?

movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 03:30 PM
Democracy is not enough when

Bush/Chaney and Kerry/Edwards are the best we can come up with in a nation of 300 million people. Power and influence are obviously in the hands of a very few, just like in every other country.

Think I'll vote Green, or wait - is there a Pacifico party?

Mas Ballenas por todos!!!:smug:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 03:46 PM
AL, AS A YOOT!

Yes, I do consider my generation the luckiest....as a kid, maybe not, but as an adult I was able to take my job as a Firefighter and advance as no other generation before me could do....

Salaries and the cost of living, the low cost of real estate and a couple of lucky breaks put me in a position to semi-retire at 43 yrs young....I believe it's much more difficult for the young people of today.

Regardless of all this political mumbo-jumbo, I will live the remainder of my life within the peaceful settings of mi casa in Mexico.....Al, mi casa es su casa para frio
Pacifico!

adios mi amigos! El Vikingo
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
People are people. I wouldn't trust a handshake from a stranger in LA or DF. I would more likely trust a hand a handshake from a farmer in Iowa or a fisherman in BOLA.

It looks like we agree, in principal, more than you think. I agree with the above wholeheartedly. My point is that there are more places in the US like LA or the DF, and more places in Mexico (especially Baja) that are like IOWA and Bahia de Los Angeles. That is why I would be more trusting in most places down south and fewer places in the USA. It has nothing to do with nationality in and of itself, only a nation's circumstances.

The same goes for the arrogance that many Americans display in other countries. It comes from being the nation with the greatest combination of brute power and wealth that has existed on this planet for at least a couple of thousand years. I have no doubt that, if Mexico were that nation, then it would be primarily Mexicans displaying that attitude.

In fact, I have met no group of people whom I have found (collectively) to be more disgustingly and obnoxiously arrogant in general than the wealthy people of Mexico City. Again, that is a gereralization. There are a few who are my friends.

You yourself said that there are things to love about both the US and Mexico. That means there are things to hate about both as well. It is not anti-american to point them out.

BTW - I lived and studied in the DF in the 80's as well. I would love to hear more about your experiences in another venue/forum.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:53 PM

Big Al,
Thanks for sticking to your guns. I also love our country and I would like to ask if anyone can name a country that has done more for its own people and the people of the world.
Look back at our history and you will find the good, the bad, and the ugly! BUT overall we have not done such a bad job in a scant 200 plus years of history.
Everything is cyclic. You are born and cared for. You become a teenager and you can do anything and do. (like us in WW1) you get married and things change(we moved from a Republic to a Democracy) You reach your middle years and you are no longer sure of anything (Vietnam and Spock)and you lash out at everything. Then you reach an advanced age and you are sure that what you stand for is good and pure. Then you look around at the politicans (who we allow to control us) and realize, think, know, that you have made some very bad decisions and allowed some real turkeys to control your life. If America has one great redeeming quality it is the ability to change course and plow new ground and come out an even stronger nation. Only once have we flirted with a dictatorship and we dodged that bullet.
Look at the other civilized countries and see what happened. france you had Napoleon, then DeGalle, and now Chirac.
Then try Germany under Hitler. Russians-forget it the greatest was Peter the Great and he was a certified nut case.
Italy--no real voting since that wolf raised those two brats.
Hell look to Asia and you find my favorite ruler, Tamerlane, your original ruler by management objectives. The people got the message when he explained that if they gave up and joined his rule they would be spared. After he made a pyrimad of 10,000 human skulls people joined him without question.
I have gone on far to long but I need to treat with Mexico as a wind up. Forget the invasions and wars of the ancients. Spaniards who killed without question or remorse, then the french, and the Germans. What kind of chance did this wonderful land have. Then the Revolution and Carranza, Villa, etc.
It is amazing---Mexico is only really about 100 years old as a Nation. They have advanced from an era when you got shot for looking crossed eyed--and unfortunately many people were--to getting angry that a party can not solve the problems that have been festering for 500 yearsin only 10-15 years.
Sorry, we got mixed up in Mexico for two years and have been hated every since. REALIZE THAT THE USA COULD HAVE TAKEN OVER MEXICO WITHOUT A SHOT. To our credit we didn't. Hell, don't ask me why.
Viva America y Mexico

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 08:59 PM
Bernie

Happy Thanksgiving !
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:05 PM

One of my Oaxaca helpers says he sure wished America owned Mexico. Then he wouldn't have to go 3,000 miles from home to make a decent wage!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 09:10 PM
Bush has just enough time

to claim Mexico has weapons of terrible nature. Could be u.s. soil muy pronto!:lol:
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 10:46 PM
JR

ARe you going to bring the turkey???

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2004 at 11:06 PM
Flaco says

BAD TRADE !!!!!:lol:
bajasmitty
Junior Nomad

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 12:55 PM
people

can't we all just get along:bounce::biggrin::lol:;D:spingrin::saint::saint::saint::saint::saint:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 01:39 PM

Are you ditsy or something, Bajasmitty? Getting along is so boring.

bajalera
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-26-2004 at 01:42 PM
Putting it mildly Lera!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 02:59 PM
Get Along

Yeah, but first give me a beatin with a baton...........
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 04:14 PM
Hey, BAJANOMAD

Does JR have a record with over 2,000 viewers on this thread. Think you owe him a cool one.

Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 7-26-2004 at 09:25 PM

Yea a trophy for Jr!

Winner Winner Winner :spingrin:
Relax have cold one and enjoy!

All that wonder are not lost
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 08:26 AM

A winner has been announced.....now maybe this thread will close....:yawn:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 08:29 AM
And then what ??

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Does JR have a record with over 2,000 viewers on this thread. Think you owe him a cool one.
NOT so fast there oh sly one....

Check the stats link above, and find out:

Top 5 most viewed topics:
The Villages of Loreto Bay(3389 )
Jimmy Smith(2582 )
South weather(2480 )
Tripui Fire?(2452 )
GRINGOS GRINGOS GRINGOS!(2445 )

;)

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 09:25 AM
Yah

but if we keep this prattle going, I might be a contender for Baja Nomads "most viewed posts" nonsense. Do replies to myself count?:lol::lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.