Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 08:52 AM

"shakedown is a numbers game for these cops and it probably beats sitting around bored and poor"

That doesn't justify extortion on a daily basis. This is systemic organized crime. These cops must be very rich by now. Probably gives the jefe a percentage. The Baja Governor should be involved. Someone should distribute flyers reporting the situation and warning, in the middle of the night, on all cars in all towns in a small radius of Cd. Const. just to let them know we know. Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 09:31 AM

If you get ripped off by the cops in CC (or even an attempt), email your story to Patricia at Misiones RV park - npso@hotmail.com, with details.

She is peeed off & willing to go to the mayor's office to stop this.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 09:42 AM

Sounds like a job for Zorro!!!!

Estaben.jpg - 11kB

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."

Don't get caught doing that. If you are caught, you'll have to defend yourself and your accusations. That won't be easy , but it will get you deported.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Sounds like a job for Zorro!!!!

Exactly....

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."

Don't get caught doing that. If you are caught, you'll have to defend yourself and your accusations. That won't be easy , but it will get you deported.

This is probably the best place to post your negative experience, but remember that you do need to pay attention to facts, that is why a simple video/audio recording device that everyone has on the cell phone is great for capturing the conversation. You can just hold the phone in your hand unobtrusively pointing in the direction of yourself and the other party. If in fact there is gross dereliction it should be obvious.

I would give little faith to "informing" officials simply because, as yet it has no effect, many are on the take as well, and those who are not have no influence over those who are on the take. Probably, officials in Baja are significantly disparate and have little inter office communication nor responsibility much like everywhere else.

In fact, you are the most powerful person to address your own concerns. As soon as a corrupto sees that you are aware, patient, and unwilling to be fearful and cough up money for nothing they will always lose interest. They do want to be seen as the cop who is talking to someone on the main drag for more than a few minutes, nor do they want to be seen in an escalating situation where they have no case.

It's like fishing, if nothing's biting you move on.

And as soon as Constitucion catches on that Gringos are not such easy pathetic money trees, who instead are armed with sophisticated tools and networks to catch liars and cheats they will move on to easier targets. Identify the people behind the problem.

Keep in mind, these guys and gals live in a small town, they really only want money for beer, food, gas and el fin de la semana, if you give the money for nothing they will continue if you require them to do their job instead they will. It's not so different from anywhere, perhaps.

[Edited on 6-24-2010 by gnukid]
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 02:29 PM

Just to add to the data, on my 3 week trip in February, I was pulled over in Constitución. More like waved over out of traffic by a man with a whistle. He asked for my license and then asked where I was going. I had the vibe that something was coming and I just smiled and he finally just handed my license back. He must have changed his mind.

That's the first time I've ever been pulled over in Mexico.
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 01:13 PM
Shakedown

Okay, I will add myself to the victim list. On June 21st, we were pulling into CC, heading south to our home in LB. I have been reading the posts recently and decided to play it extra cautious. I started down the center lane, literally going 10 mph. I stopped at every light, crosswalk and stop sign. I noticed one police officer had someone pulled over on the frontage road. I proceeded south very slowly. About three lights from the end of town, I noticed a police truck turning left in front of me while I was sitting at a red light. He turned left, made a U-Turn and shadowed me on the frontage road the entire rest of the way. Continuing @ 10mph, he finally pulled behind me at the last light and lit me up. When I was chatting with him, he said I failed to stop for pedestrians seven blocks back. Impossible since he only pulled in front of me near the end of town. He told me he was going to keep my license and I could come get it at 8:00 the next morning at the police station or........ $500 pesos right now. I pondered letting him keep my license and just getting a new one when I returned to the states, but figured that might not be that bright. After negotiating for several minutes, we agreed on $400 pesos and we were on our way. He even extended his hand out to shake my hand. He was polite even after I told him that everybody knows what is going on here and that he is only hurting his own community by harassing tourists. I asked him who would ever want to come stay in this town with all of the police extortion and he simply laughed and said not my problem.

I will be driving back north in a few weeks to continue the saga. It is a shame, because I normally stay there for lunch and a few beers. Not anymore!!!!

Mike
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 10:49 AM

I have enjoyed staying in Constitution at the lovely RV Park and had again planned to do so. Not now, not till this is resolved. I do not want to be shaken down by these crooks. 400 pesos is an outragious fee to pay to these guys! Outragious.

Is there any way around these sharks? This is THE Federal Road thru this town! Basta Yo!!

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Basta Yo!!

There will be no "Basta" until it's forced upon them. These arn't isolated acts of extortion that can be reported to the Chief, Comandante or anybody else in that city. They get their share. They get it because they're part of the system and that's a system we, with our NOB mindset, will never comprehend.
The system is as old as Spain and will resist, probably forever, the moralistic change we only wish they would adopt.
What we're trying to do is convert them into Americans like us. Many here can't see the futility in that.
Conversion for moral reasons will not work.
Conversion for financial reasons will have an immediate effect.
Attack their economy and the metamorphisis will be swift.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I have enjoyed staying in Constitution at the lovely RV Park and had again planned to do so. Not now, not till this is resolved. I do not want to be shaken down by these crooks. 400 pesos is an outragious fee to pay to these guys! Outragious.

Is there any way around these sharks? This is THE Federal Road thru this town! Basta Yo!!

Iflyfish

Fish.....write or e-mail the RV park and explain why you will not be visiting........let us know if they reply!!!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:

Fish.....write or e-mail the RV park and explain why you will not be visiting........let us know if they reply!!!!

In fact, give us their email addy and I for one will write and tell them of my change of plans to drive through their beautiful city to get to their motel.
I urge others to do the same. It's a start.

This method could be expanded to resorts south of C.C.. It's a painless effort that will definitly get a ball rolling if it's sustained.
Make justice your online hobby.

Any contact info out there to be added to the list of economic victims?

----------

Here's a post from this thread which I put up a few pages back, for those who may have missed it:

posted on 6-20-2010 at 06:57 AM

Maybe it's time to get the San Diego Union involved. This city has gone berserk with mordida to the point that it's a story.
In the meantime, spread the mantra...."Don't go to or through Ciudad Constitución."
Hurt their business and the business of all points south. Your personal complaints will fall on deaf ears regardless who is printing forms to report rampant mordida. As long as the money travels through that crap hole, the police will demand you share it with them.
The only thing that will stop this atrocity is pressure from the business communities to the south. Let them demand change. They'll get it.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 02:16 PM

Hola, there was a post on the western onion about an art festival in la paz in november. i emailed the person promoting it and told her that our annual caravan of older travelers in southern baja changed our minds about attending it due to the C.C. situation and were fearful of being harrassed going and coming back through C.C. so this year, we'll do more of the U.S. as we should also put monies into our own economy.

we feel so sad for the people that aren't involved with this self seving type of conduct that will only hurt the honest and hardworking people.

YES...GO TO OTHER WEBSITES ! give them feedback as to why people are being discouraged from going further than loreto.

don't be laxidaisical as we need to have this harrassment stopped !

BIEN SALUD MRS. RAT
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 02:46 PM

well, I think we should all tell any gvt official we meet. The governor, presidente municipal and others come to La Bocana every so often, I will make a point of letting them know. I find that most Mexicans are royally P O'd when they hear these stories ..... they dont like it any more than we do.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 02:49 PM

Right-On, Mrs. Rat. That's what I'm talkin' about. How about giving us that email address so we can join your effort.
What a great start.

C'mon folks...just a few minutes of your computer time might have a positive effect. It's worth a try.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 02:57 PM

Maybe we can get Baja Cactus to give us some e-mail addresses?????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe we can get Baja Cactus to give us some e-mail addresses?????

That would be good. I wish someone who knows Antonio personally would talk with him.
We can find a lot of them. Make fishing and hotel reservations to be cancelled soon after for reasons of CC.. All of this has to be south of Constitución of course, unless you live south of there. Then use north side destinations.
Be creative. It won't hurt anybody but the enemy.

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by DENNIS]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 03:19 PM

Here we go. Lots of contact info here:

http://www.gringogazette.com/advertisers_index.php
Dave
Elite Nomad

sad.gif posted on 6-27-2010 at 03:32 PM
Oh...I'd hope not

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Make fishing and hotel reservations to be cancelled soon after for reasons of CC..

It's one thing to explain not making a reservation but making one with intent to cancel?

That's unethical.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

That's unethical.

Unethical problems require unethical solutions.
Besides...who does it hurt?
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.