BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja Grande Jeep Buildup (with photos)
Ramon
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 09:20 PM

Oh no your high-ness, YOU designated yourself King Kook of Nomads a looong time ago. Over 20k posts..... I call em like WE all see em.
Back on topic here folks.... carry on , nothing to see here.

This thread got me thinking I should once over the trucks wheels and front end suspension.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for your input, Ramon. Wheel weights are integral to a smooth flowing vehicle. I had a problem with bent cast aluminum wheels, and there weren't enough lead weights to solve the wobbles these rims had caused.

The solution? I purchased a new set of rims, and the tires that I perceived as "un-round" suddenly smoothed out.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon
Oh no your high-ness, YOU designated yourself King Kook of Nomads a looong time ago. Over 20k posts..... I call em like WE all see em.
Back on topic here folks.... carry on , nothing to see here.

This thread got me thinking I should once over the trucks wheels and front end suspension.

Let's keep things on-topic. No need to put other Nomads down. :!:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:07 PM

Ken looking at your thread gave me the idea to check my truck.. I took it to get alignment and they found that some rubber bushings that come with the lift kit are worn out. so now I got to go to 4wheel autoparts to see if the warranty covers thats or how much the replacement will be.. jusy trying to get my truck ready for March..also my rack & pinnion is leaking oil, i was told this problem is common with RAMS trucks:fire: dealer price over $700, Napa is $200 with lifetime warranty...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:36 PM

Couldn't agree more Ken about keeping on topic... just read the tread from the start... excellent photo's.. really liked the chicken... kinda makes ya stop for second.. also the close ups were really super, ya could see the "beads" on the wield.. which was pretty darn good..

Seem to have gotten of track after Mike got his front done... then was making a left turn out some place around Hemet.. maybe

But, anyway wanted to say it was/is a great thread... and thanks to all for their participation in giving some very useful information on "How To" for some of us that never have...

Merry Christmas and a Happy Year... out there ...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 09:48 PM

@ Baja Cat - The rubber bushings are very easy to change, although, you *may* need to realign your frontend when the work is completed (I think).

@ Wessongroup - Nuevo, CA. Very close to Hemet, though!

Mike informed me that his frontend does not wobble, but he has additional parts ready to install. A new steering stabilizer and drop pitman arm. The Drop pitman arm might be unnecessary, but Mike plans to install it to bring his steering geometry closer to the stock location.

Stay posted for further updates. :!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 08:11 AM
New Years Update

Mike came over to my New Years Eve celebration with his new Baja Grande buildup Jeep, and it looked great!

His transfer case was in the stock location without the need for a drop kit. This will aid in better clearance when the going gets rough.

His wheels looked great! LT305 Goodyear MTR-K tires ride a little rough, but he has since aired them down to about 28 p.s.i. for a softer ride.

But, the bigger issue of the wobbles coming from his front end were solved by simply torquing all of the bolts to manufacturers specifications! Fairly simple solution.

ˇHappy New Year 2011!:bounce:

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by Ken Cooke]

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 11:47 PM

Ken the guy at the left of the picture, doesn't look that trill about the new year.It must be one of those Toyota owners....:lol::lol:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 09:45 AM

That unhappy looking wallflower is Mike, the Jeep owner (after spending so much $$$ to make the Jeep driveable, he has no $$$ for the ladies):lol:
JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 11:35 AM

Yah... that's it :wow::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 08:50 PM
On-board air, Hi-Lift mounts, Rocker protection, Wheels, Tires...THE BUILDUP CONTINUES!

...this thread is still in its' infancy. :bounce:

Before...(yawn)

After (a serious jolt of Caffeine!):bounce::o

Don't knock my rocker!:light:

Airtank, pump, the works!!

Interior mount for Hi-Lift jack

Lights-galore!

Mike really earned his new badge!:bounce::yes:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 10:01 PM

i WANT some of those tires,,:yes:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2011 at 11:26 PM

Are those Duratracs? How loud are they on the highway?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Are those Duratracs? How loud are they on the highway?

These are Goodyears' Maximum Traction/Reinforced w/Kevlar. They hardly produce a hum at 60 m.p.h. according to Mike.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 10:18 AM

Almost weekly, I still see Mike's previous Baja Grande JK project vehicle on the streets of Riverside.:yes:

I hope to be getting a side by side photo of our Baja Grande Jeeps soon.:light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 06:52 AM
Throw out the TrXus MTs!

Mike and I drove up Cleghorn Ridge along I-15 yesterday, and the new Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar gave his Rubicon mystic powers! :cool:

Leidys ignoring the doggie bruhaha to stand next to Mikes recently built 'wheeling marvel!

On the way to Cleghorn Road

Beautiful - the Angeles Natl Forest

On the trail. Mud stuck to and packed in my TrXus MT tires while Mikes Rubicon with Goodyear MTR with Kevlar did not pack in the slop - at all. This allowed him much better traction characteristics and continued forward movement.

Engineering excellence!

We did not travel much past this location due to the mud hindering our travels.:!:

Back to the trailhead - after fish-tailing along the trail.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 09:44 AM

Nice photos Ken! (you like those tires, don't you?) :cool:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nice photos Ken! (you like those tires, don't you?) :cool:

At one point, I considered running All-Terrain tires for the quiet, smooth ride. But, Leidys and I enjoy these simple, backcountry drives so much that traction cannot come at the expense of capability. The Goodyear appears to be the clear winner in so many categories. Dirt, Rocks, Sand - My TrXus MTs packed the mud in like racing slicks. This was horrible, and I can't see paying a premium for these tires in the future over the Goodyear tires. No thanks.

racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 07:21 AM

I have been looking at those Goodyears and have read great reviews. Thanks for the field report. My Toyo ATs still have some life and I really do like them but I am thinking of something more aggressive but still relatively quiet on the highway.

Here in the Northwest mud is what we do - on trails and some back roads. Check out the latest 4 WHEEL DRIVE magazine A lot of different tires and they all had problems to one degree or another.

Anyway nice build out and great photos.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
I have been looking at those Goodyears and have read great reviews. Thanks for the field report. My Toyo ATs still have some life and I really do like them but I am thinking of something more aggressive but still relatively quiet on the highway.

Here in the Northwest mud is what we do - on trails and some back roads. Check out the latest 4 WHEEL DRIVE magazine A lot of different tires and they all had problems to one degree or another.

Anyway nice build out and great photos.

I also liked my Toyo Open Country ATs (had them on my '05 Tacoma)... I just got new tires on my 2010 tacoma, and really liking them so far... They are quiet but worked great in the mud and snow last Saturday:

Hankook Dynapro ATm

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by David K]

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.