Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Still hoping to see you along the way Ken.

Lou,
Why don't we plan to meet up at 9 a.m. on Monday morning - Apr. 25th at the Glorieta with the new(er) Pemex station in downtown San Felipe. I'll be on CB Channel 8. If the guys bail, we will just visit San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay - maybe, LA Bay.

Monday at 9a - got it. No CB - well, maybe I can find a old one.

See you then.

Don't worry about the CB. Just look for Leidys and I in the silver Jeep. We'll see you then!:bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 06:13 AM

Baja Grande will go on - 3 Jeeps strong!

I will have more details tomorrow...:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Still hoping to see you along the way Ken.

... we will just visit San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay - maybe, LA Bay.

I can't see myself doing Mission Impossible alone. In 2008, I got stuck in the swamp and had to be pulled out since I was in 2WD and with manual transmission, I could not get friction to change gears.

Traveling a trail like Mission Impossible alone isn't a good plan. :!: ...

It is a good idea to use 4WD HI whenever you are off pavement, or at least off graded roads... The 4WD parts get lubrictaed and the trail is less damaged (less spinning of tires). In fact, no spinning (limited slip/ lockers) is ideal for traction. On graded roads, the vehicle is more under control when in 4WD at speed... much the way AWD sports cars grip the road better.

It is 2WD vehicles on dirt roads that do so much damage... spinning tires that seek traction, making ruts, which increase erosion of roadbeds.

4WD, use it or lose it!!!:light::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Baja Grande will go on - 3 Jeeps strong!

I will have more details tomorrow...:bounce:

GOOD NEWS! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KIt is 2WD vehicles on dirt roads that do so much damage... spinning tires that seek traction, making ruts, which increase erosion of roadbeds.

4WD, use it or lose it!!!:light::cool:

The Jeep Rubicon has 4:1 low-range which slows you way down if not in 4Hi. I like to drive in 2WD on flat/level sections of trail, but that first drop into pond scum water is what did me in. I have learned my lesson 110%!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 07:13 PM

On Friday morning our group of 3 Jeeps will leave the Mission enroute to meeting Les and Blanca and then on to El Marmol and possibly El Volcan (time permitting).

I told Leidys that we would be off of the road before dark each day.:!:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
On Friday morning our group of 3 Jeeps will leave the Mission enroute to meeting Les and Blanca and then on to El Marmol and possibly El Volcan (time permitting).

I told Leidys that we would be off of the road before dark each day.:!:

Get an early start at the mission... 3 hours drive out to Santa Ynez/ Cataviņa... then a 20 mile drive on Hwy. 1 and a 9 mile drive on a flat graded road to El Marmol should take you no more than an hour. It is only 4 miles from the El Marmol schoolhouse to Arroyo el Volcan (there is a fork in the road 2 miles from the schoolhouse, turn RIGHT).

The lowest point in the road is the arroyo crossing. To the right (upstream/ south) is the geyser... you may be able to drive half of the 0.4 mile distance to it... in the arroyo.

To the left is where we will be heading Saturday to hike to the Lost Mission site... maybe drive if we can? I am going to guess we will be camping down that way, in the arroyo... It is up to TW or whoever gets there first to find us a spot.

My passenger (you have met him at Viva Baja Cactus) and I might be getting there by 4 pm Friday... just a guess.
BajaCat (Jose) may be caravanning in his Dodge with us.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Get an early start at the mission... 3 hours drive out to Santa Ynez/ Cataviņa... then a 20 mile drive on Hwy. 1 and a 9 mile drive on a flat graded road to El Marmol should take you no more than an hour. It is only 4 miles from the El Marmol schoolhouse to Arroyo el Volcan (there is a fork in the road 2 miles from the schoolhouse, turn RIGHT).

The lowest point in the road is the arroyo crossing. To the right (upstream/ south) is the geyser... you may be able to drive half of the 0.4 mile distance to it... in the arroyo.

To the left is where we will be heading Saturday to hike to the Lost Mission site... maybe drive if we can? I am going to guess we will be camping down that way, in the arroyo... It is up to TW or whoever gets there first to find us a spot.

My passenger (you have met him at Viva Baja Cactus) and I might be getting there by 4 pm Friday... just a guess.
BajaCat (Jose) may be caravanning in his Dodge with us.

David,

I printed directions from your article on BajaBound.com regarding El Marmol/El Volcan. We will be there until late afternoon and continue onwards to Baja Cactus where we will stay Friday night. Hopefully, we will see you in the area!

-Ken

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:56 AM

So far, you will... I got a text from my passenger saying he is looking forward to it. It is a beautiful drive from El Marmol down to El Volcan... lots of elephant trees... rock formations and pools of water towards the geyser from the road crossing of Arroyo el Volcan.

fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 11:18 AM

Ken: Let me make this as clear as I can. Jerry and I are up for anything you have planned. Any changes you want to make. Any destinations you want to add. and we are set up to tent camp where ever we end up. So don't hold back. My little jeep might not keep up with your tricked out rig. But I've got a winch and plenty of straps. I had to re-build my rear end for this trip. The previous lunch box locker desentigrated. I now have a new Trac-Lok limitted slip in the rear. Sorry but I'm still open in the front. My buddy Jerry has locker in his Sahara. So.... We should have a great time. I hope we meet up with your old buddies on the trail.
See you Tomorrow!
Aaron
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatoldcapt
Ken: Let me make this as clear as I can. Jerry and I are up for anything you have planned. Any changes you want to make. Any destinations you want to add. and we are set up to tent camp where ever we end up. So don't hold back. My little jeep might not keep up with your tricked out rig. But I've got a winch and plenty of straps. I had to re-build my rear end for this trip. The previous lunch box locker desentigrated. I now have a new Trac-Lok limitted slip in the rear. Sorry but I'm still open in the front. My buddy Jerry has locker in his Sahara. So.... We should have a great time. I hope we meet up with your old buddies on the trail.
See you Tomorrow!
Aaron

Looking forward to meeting you Aaron! Anybody who is brave enough to follow Ken.... is Baja ready for anything!

See a Wrangler go to Santa Maria with 2 Tacomas in 2003, and he said he didn't need to use his locker: http://vivabaja.com/403

The Widowmaker!

[Edited on 4-22-2011 by David K]

fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 02:52 PM

I've read all the posts at your web page. You look so young to have traveled so much. I'm a San Diego native. Grew up in El Cajon. Retired for 5 years now. Jerry got me going down to Bay of LA fishing. I Love Baja!!! I look forward to seeing more of it. You going to produce any more Baja Decals again?
Aaron
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatoldcapt
I've read all the posts at your web page. You look so young to have traveled so much. I'm a San Diego native. Grew up in El Cajon. Retired for 5 years now. Jerry got me going down to Bay of LA fishing. I Love Baja!!! I look forward to seeing more of it. You going to produce any more Baja Decals again?
Aaron

Aaron,

I would give you my Viva Baja! sticker, but I don't know where the Mrs. moved them to. :?:

David is the most knowledgeable member of the Baja Nomad board, and is the most connected person I have seen in regards to people who have published writings about the Baja Peninsula...in my opinion.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 05:42 PM

I'll look and see if I have another sticker.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 06:13 PM

My "Baja Time" Mexray sticker is now worn out. I have a nice, new BajaNomad.com sticker to go in its' place!

fatoldcapt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 07:27 PM

I bought a "Got Baja?" decal and have it proudly displayed on my rear window. Also have one of the old style Mama Espenosa Baja 1000 decal. The new ones suck. Who wants a Lobster on their window?
Aaron:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:14 PM

Wow sounds like you guys have more 'got baja?' stickers than me??!! (I am all out)

Lou... did I give you a bunch when we met at Parral Canyon in 2004? :cool:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2011 at 10:49 PM
...rummaging through my "classics"

I have two "Viva Baja!" stickers (in new condition) AND a "Baja Expo" sticker! I'm saving one of each.

Also, I have some Rockodile stickers from the late 90s - also in brand-new condition. :bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2011 at 06:31 AM

Planning and coordinating accomplished. This is where the rubber hits the road, as they say.:light:

...now comes the fun part!:bounce:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2011 at 11:02 AM

Ken just remember if your schedule changes I'll be at the El Volcan wash Thursday evening and will use Friday to explore the area along the road to the mine and see if we can fix the washout. I've never been to the mine. It would be interesting to see how far your Jeeps can get down the El Volcan wash crawling over rocks.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.