Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  12
Author: Subject: SEE UPDATE: Stolen Boat & Trailer
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 07:53 PM
Found the girlfriend...

Latina... we have located Jim Connolly's girlfriend/wife and their home in El Rosario... I will be e-mailing you with names, addresses and more details. We will do it by e-mail in case this guy is also following this thread.

Also will be waiting your instructions in how you want to proceed and what you would like us to do to help you further.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 07:57 PM

way to go Antonio !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 08:00 PM

Latina if it is the tax cheat turn him in to IRS for a reward and get some of your money back!

If this is someone from El Rosario Your boat may be at the beach where they are diving for almeja chiludo and pepino.

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 3-22-2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi I just want to tell you about my recent experience with Jim Connolly. I was pulling my 5th wheel past Ensenada about 43 miles south when I lost all the transmission fluid of my F250 Ford. I was at a total loss. No telephone service, nobody stopping for help. Then suddenly Jim pulled up, asking what is the problem. He offered to pull my 5th wheel back to Ensenada but my hitch did not fit his mounting rails. However I had a tow strap big enough for pulling the F250 back to Ensenada. He did it and he had the mounting track bars modified on his truck to fit my hitch for less then 40$ at a local welding shop in Ensenada he knew. Then he towed my trailer back after dropping his trailer off at a local police station and paying the police to watch it. Then he helped me to get the spare parts to fix my transmission ($4.50 for the seal and $45 for the trans fluid) He negotiated the cost of the repair of the transmission repair to $100, helped me to find the parts and the fluid in Ensenada for the lowest price, driving to the shops. Within under 2 days I was back on the road pulling my 5th wheel trailer down to Loreto. Jim was my savior and I am thankful that he came along. He did not ask for money but I did pay him what I thought to be fair for all his effort. This happened on Feb 1st this year. I hope he is ok and wish him all the best and that this situation will be resolved for all parties. Bad things sometimes happen to good people.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 08:27 AM

Thank you so much Antonio for your information. It is imperative to have as many details as possible for our police reports. We are glad that Johannes had a good experience with Jim Connolly. Consider yourself fortunate, because you are the exception, not the rule. Our investigations have only determined that his business practises are worse than even we imagined. We have only stated the facts and the events that happened in our dealings with JIM CONNOLLY and they speak for themselves.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 09:09 AM

Howard, ask him about his licensure and permits. Does he haul interstate in the US as well? "Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number." Ask to see his current insurance policy on his company - at least ask which ins. co. agent and know amounts and policy number so you can make a claim if need be. Verify info. Ask for references and check them out. I would think, for an honest hauler, the risk for a Baja transport would be damage en route, so maybe even a signed informal agreement between you regarding such issues would be in order. If he wants the business and can back up his promises, should be no problem for him.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Howard, ask him about his licensure and permits. Does he haul interstate in the US as well? "Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number." Ask to see his current insurance policy on his company - at least ask which ins. co. agent and know amounts and policy number so you can make a claim if need be. Verify info. Ask for references and check them out. I would think, for an honest hauler, the risk for a Baja transport would be damage en route, so maybe even a signed informal agreement between you regarding such issues would be in order. If he wants the business and can back up his promises, should be no problem for him.

and get photo copies of everything including his ID.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 10:05 AM

Howard, wilderone & fishabductor: We agree that it is important to have photocopies of the transporter's id.

We were hugely remiss in not getting a copy of the insurance policy JIM CONNOLLY said he had on our property and only found out after he left our home with our boat & trailer and had been out of contact with us that he did not in fact purchase insurance as we had paid him to do.

After what has happened to us in our dealings with JIM CONNOLLY we strongly suggest that anyone planning to have their property transported goes above and beyond when checking out the hauler, even if they seem like good people on the surface, as is the case with JIM CONNOLLY. After all, this is how unscrupulous people disarm those they are aiming to deceive.
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 10:35 AM

Latina

I'm heading north from Asuncion this weekend... like I said on BD, if there is anything i can do to help....take photo's of the house/people etc. Let me know... would be glad to assist as this is one nightmare no one should have to endure.

Stan
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 10:55 AM

side point: half the time, businesses and business people and gov agencies, banks, and even notarios have their photocopy machines working only 1/2 the time. Also, when it is a good idea to make a copy of things or documents, there is no photocopier in sight nor available. I always take my little point and shoot camera with me wherever I go in Baja. I use it to make copies of things constantly. After all, isn't a photocopier just taking a digital picture of your document?

Learn how to take a picture in manual mode or in TV mode WITHOUT FLASH. You will get an acceptable copy quicker, sharper and more certain.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
side point: half the time, businesses and business people and gov agencies, banks, and even notarios have their photocopy machines working only 1/2 the time. Also, when it is a good idea to make a copy of things or documents, there is no photocopier in sight nor available. I always take my little point and shoot camera with me wherever I go in Baja. I use it to make copies of things constantly. After all, isn't a photocopier just taking a digital picture of your document?

Learn how to take a picture in manual mode or in TV mode WITHOUT FLASH. You will get an acceptable copy quicker, sharper and more certain.

yes, but copier availability should not be the customers problem. the contractor should provide all requested documentation/proof prior to any substantial payment to contractor. also, if contractor is buying insurance for your property, the insurance company should be naming you as an insured, shouldn't they?
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 11:20 AM

surfdoc, Thank you for your generous offer. I will send you a U2U, latina.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 02:43 PM

I just received an e-mail from the uship company and they asked for this web link and want to look into the problem , and also speak with the injured party . :yes: Lets see what becomes of this. Was good to hear back from the so soon .

fingers crossed
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 03:16 PM

I also received an email from uShip. It seems they don't appreciate being taken advantage of either.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 06:17 PM

Is it possible that our stolen boat & trailer is somewhere between Cabo San Lucas and Loreto?

I just reread the post from jenny.navarrette. In one of the discussions between JIM CONNOLLY and a prospective client on March 3rd, he says he is IN CABO, THE DAY AFTER HE LEFT OUR HOUSE IN LA PAZ, supposedly heading north to San Diego with our property. Then on March 9th he was seen south of Loreto WITHOUT our boat and trailer.

What conclusions should we draw from this? Sorry for shouting...
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-23-2011 at 06:23 PM

He's probably sold your boat during that time frame, if in fact it can be verified he in farct was seen then. I still think you should consider a reward before it gets too late. (easy for me to say, since it isn't my money yo0 would spend) I know up here in the states when an uninsured item is stolen, parties offer nice rewards. Worked for me ona $30,000. loss years ago in Oregon. Got our sterlin silver flatware back that was wedding presents. My ex-wedding ring from the prior marriage also showed up, but I told them it wasn't mine?????? They wanted me to pay the hock shop what they loaned on it. But not the sterlin silver????? Any one else have good luck after offering a reward???????

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by Phil S]

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by Phil S]
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2011 at 05:38 AM

Uship has written back to me and has said they are having trouble logging on . They also sent me this .http://www.uship.com/profile/connollycorp/ .

This guy jim needs to be caught and put in jail , he keeps taking peoples money , boats , etc .

Must say he's not to smart , lots of people looking for him .:P
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-24-2011 at 06:43 AM
who can verify the OP's allegations???????

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
I just received an e-mail from the uship company and they asked for this web link and want to look into the problem , and also speak with the injured party . :yes: Lets see what becomes of this. Was good to hear back from the so soon .

fingers crossed

you should be careful. "latina" is a newbie that created an identity just to come here and make allegations against connolly. perhaps "latina" is just a jilted girl friend or boy friend. you never know. people tell all sorts of lies on the internet, and people are often dishonest.

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by mtgoat666]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-24-2011 at 06:47 AM
doubts about OP

Quote:
Originally posted by latina
I have enjoyed reading the posts here for the last few years and now find myself needing the assistance of this group.

Several weeks ago we made the grave mistake of hiring boat transporter JIM CONNOLLY to take our boat & trailer from La Paz to San Diego, which he said would take him 2.5 days. We wired him a 50% deposit so that he could insure our property for the trip.

On March 2nd we paid him in full and he left our home in La Paz with our 2003 19' Carolina Skiff (Louisiana reg.#LA9366FG) c/w 115hp Suzuki 4cycle O/B, sitting on a 2003 Continental aluminum single axel trailer, Louisiana plate #K042462, headed north.

A week later we tracked him down only as far as El Rosario, where he told us he lived with his girlfriend. He then told us he was also picking up 3 motorcycles to deliver along with our boat and trailer.

On March 11th he said he had broken down in Ensenada and his Ford F350 truck could not be repaired in Mexico. He told us he had a friend who would drive down from Oxnard and pick up our boat and trailer to finish the delivery.

At 10:30am March 14th he told us that our boat & trailer were hooked up to his friend's truck and they were in Rosarito heading north and would be in San Diego that day. After that we lost contact with JIM CONNOLLY for several days.

Fearing for his well-being and the whereabouts of our property we called the US Consolate Missing Persons who couldn't assist us. We tried to get information from the San Ysidro supervisor to see if he had crossed the border, been arrested or if our property had been detained. The supervisor couldn't give out that information. In order to get his truck plate # to make a report, we called the Baja Travel Club where he told us he would purchase the insurance we paid him for. We were told he did not in fact purchase the insurance. On the advise of the San Diego PD we contacted their auto theft division to find out what our options were. They told us that because we had a contract with JIM CONNOLLY to deliver our boat there was nothing we could do.

Then on the morning of March 18th, after several days without contact, JIM CONNOLLY finally answered his cellphone and told us that our boat and trailer and his friend's truck had all been STOLEN in Rosarito while his friend had made a stop, leaving our property unattended and the truck unlocked with the keys in the ignition! We asked him if he made a police report. He said he had. We asked him to email us copies of everything. He didn't. Now he has dropped off the face of the earth.

If you are planning any boat transport please be very wary of this individual as his business practises in our case have clearly been unethical and fraudulent. JIM CONNOLLY gave us a quote to transport our boat & trailer to San Diego. After we agreed on the price he requested 50% deposit, part of which he would use to insure our boat, which he did not do.

When he arrived in La Paz we booked and paid for a hotel room and even then he asked for more money to pay for his fuel for the trip north, which we gave him, along with the balance we agreed to pay (Even though our trip was a backhaul, as someone else had already paid him to bring their boat south to La Paz). Once he had our property he was difficult and sometimes impossible to reach. The 2.5 day trip extended to 16 days to the day he finally told us our property had been stolen and admitted that he had not insured it. Has anyone seen our boat and trailer on the Baja peninsula? Thank you.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by latina]

that is a pretty severe allegation. i notice you posted anonymously. when you accuse someone of criminal activity, you should use your full name and not an alias.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2011 at 06:51 AM

mtgoat666 , did you take a look at the link from uship ? it shows that he ripped off anoughter person of their down payment . Uship is having problems with this guy and are trying to do something about it. Doesn't look like a jilted girl friend .

I do get your point about the nuts that are on the internet :bounce:
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.