Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Immigration at Gurerro Negro
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 08:58 AM

originally posted by David K

"Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!"

RIDICULOUS

one good "spelling cop" deserves another

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 09:09 AM

I disagree with mr.bushpilot about pushing on to GN...that little hotelito in Rosalillita is way nicer than any hotel in GN as it is at the beach in a small village...much quieter than GN and awesome sunset there and sunrise over surfers is pretty cool too...the rooms are basic but clean, not a bad bed, hot water...only problem we had was there was no where to eat but the lady who runs the hotel will make dinner for you if you ask her....let her know when you get there with a little advance notice she will make you dinner and breakfast...but it is so close to the highway...like 10 minute in on a great road and you can go for a nice beach walk when you get there.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I disagree with mr.bushpilot about pushing on to GN...that little hotelito in Rosalillita is way nicer than any hotel in GN as it is at the beach in a small village...much quieter than GN and awesome sunset there and sunrise over surfers is pretty cool too...the rooms are basic but clean, not a bad bed, hot water...only problem we had was there was no where to eat but the lady who runs the hotel will make dinner for you if you ask her....let her know when you get there with a little advance notice she will make you dinner and breakfast...but it is so close to the highway...like 10 minute in on a great road and you can go for a nice beach walk when you get there.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by shari]

All good points shari. If you are an extroverted type of person with a good command of the Spanish language you can get or find anything that you need in small, "off the main road" towns. If, on the other hand you are a bit shy and don't speak Spanish well (like me) it can be intimidating trying to find food, lodging and groceries in out of the way towns where everybody that lives there knows that the lady in the blue house sells groceries, the guy with the red truck will rent you a room and his mom down the street will gladly fix you breakfast if they only knew that you wanted these things.....been there, done that, many times.....dt.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 09:43 AM

equally good points DT...of course...good to be armed with both points of view for sure.

SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 11:20 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm planning to camp in SR, since there's no surf in GN! I'm set up for camping and cooking on my own Although if it's flat, I'll probably push to GN and stay at Mallarimos.

Funny story about Santa Rosalilita:

My first trip there I drove with my buddy and wanted to call my family and let them know that we were staying awhile since the waves were so good. I went into town and have a functional grasp of the language, but it was my first trip and I was a little nervous. I asked around for a phone and found the "the blue house near the market" has a sat phone for use.

There were a bunch of trucks parked in front, I knocked on the door and was greeted by a nice women who let me in the door. Upon walking in, there were about 10 locals and a PILE of money on the table and everyone holding fistfulls of cash. I immedialtey think I walked in on a drug deal and that I was going to disappear...

Turns out, it was the local lobstermen unloading there catch for the week. They shared their catch and their smiles and I made the call home. Good times and great people, can't wait to get back!

[Edited on 9-22-2011 by SMG]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 11:31 AM

SMG...looks like more people are camping on the beach in the village due to the newly created wave that comes off the breakwater...it's different that at "the other camp" (I'm not allowed to mention the name or no more microbrews for me!!!;D) plus it's closer and there is a store, beer etc...my last time there the beach had more campers than the other place...nice morning & sunset sets....safet trip!

SMG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 02:52 PM

Nice options shari, I like the easier drive consideration. I wonder if the new wave has a larger swell window?? I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention surf spots, I'll edit my post... I've always had a great time at A******** and met some great people there! It seems pretty quiet the times I've been there the last few years. Although I hear it fills up around the holidays.

I should park the truck and camp in SR and ride the moto up the coast roads, could be exciting!

Thanks again!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 04:07 PM

So. Having poured over four pages of posts, a couple of things stand out.

First, the GN immigration checkpoint. As was noted by another poster, I can truly say that I have never been asked for papers there, North or South. There was a thread some time back on here that basically indicated that the IMM office there had been closed. Yet, up jumps the devil, with subsequent threads talking about being asked for papers. Which is it?

Second, I have also found myself in the situation where I applied for the visa at SY, and the bank was closed. I could not get anyone to respond. Going back to the IMM office, I was also told that I could pay at any bank.

My question is just how long might someone travel with a stamped, but unpaid FMM legally? Have to admit that on my last trip to Cabo, a trip that encompassed twelve days, I never did pay. Went to a Bancomer in Cabo to pay, and thy said they didn't do that.

So, just a little bit of concern heading North approaching the state line, only to find no one there. Go figure.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2011 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
originally posted by David K

"Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!"

RIDICULOUS

one good "spelling cop" deserves another

Thank you... I know I am a poor English speller! So, I only help with Baja Place Names in the name of loving your Baja more!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jedtimesaz

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 08:20 PM

I didn't have a tourist card on my trip last winter. Long story, but we arrived in Ensenada on New Year's Day and everything was closed. The chamber of commerce visitor's center, however, was open, and they said we could pick up the tourist card in Guerrero Negro. So we went ahead. But in GR, they wanted 2,000 pesos each for the tourist card. We complained and they guy just waived us through.
We were concerned, however, that this would become a bigger problem on the Northbound return. I stayed in BCS for about two months.
In early March, I stopped in GR and asked around a bit and soon learned that that the Migra station is closed on Sundays.
So I hung out in my Bus in GR near the lighthouse on a Saturday night enjoying the sea birds and beautiful sunset. I headed north about 8 a.m. Sunday and sure enough, the Migra station was closed and I sailed through.
Planning my next foray south now!
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2011 at 08:26 PM

My daughter came down to Bahia Asuncion ...bused it to GN without a card...went to La Paz and Cabo no problem. She paid for a tourist card before she boarded the plane home.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
... you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight)...

GUERRERO NEGRO
Guerrero Negro is not spelled with all-caps
...unless for some reason you feel the need to SHOUT!
btw, jus' foolin' wif' ya' DK. ;D

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So. Having poured over four pages of posts, a couple of things stand out.

First, the GN immigration checkpoint. As was noted by another poster, I can truly say that I have never been asked for papers there, North or South. There was a thread some time back on here that basically indicated that the IMM office there had been closed. Yet, up jumps the devil, with subsequent threads talking about being asked for papers. Which is it?

Second, I have also found myself in the situation where I applied for the visa at SY, and the bank was closed. I could not get anyone to respond. Going back to the IMM office, I was also told that I could pay at any bank.

My question is just how long might someone travel with a stamped, but unpaid FMM legally? Have to admit that on my last trip to Cabo, a trip that encompassed twelve days, I never did pay. Went to a Bancomer in Cabo to pay, and thy said they didn't do that.

So, just a little bit of concern heading North approaching the state line, only to find no one there. Go figure.

You just never know.....odds are no one will ever ask for your tourist card, but you never know.

I didn't think they stamped your card until after you paid the bank. SY bank should be open almost 24/7 from what I've seen and read. I went thru at 5am and it was open.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2011 at 04:29 PM

After reading through four pages of posts, and mixing in my decades of Baja travel, I would suggest that for the most part, folks can travel Baja without having the FMM. Since no one seems to ask for it.

I have to confess that my friends and I have done the trip to both the whale thingy in Guerrero Negro, and to Cabo, without "papers", I absolutely recommend that anyone heading South of Maneadero get their FMM wherever they are crossing.

After all, since so many in these United States have have made such a big deal about illegal immigration, it would seem to me to be the height of hypocrisy to travel in Mexico without the legal documents.

Recently, starting a two week trip, we found ourselves in the right hand lane at San Ysidro. As folks have mentioned, it seems that anyone who is "foolish enough" to drive into this area, is going to be rewarded with a very long wait to be inspected.. That includes people such as our group, who were only seeking to be legal, and were certainly not bearing any goods to bring into Mexico.

But, at the end of the day, as I viewed long lines on the Northbound side, I could not deny the obvious.

We created a huge log jam at the border, supposedly because Bin Laden might be hiding in the trunk of a car. But is not the current Mexican response really tit for tat?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.