Author: Subject: QUESTION ABOUT TIRES
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
thanks David I will look into it, I will shelve the 3 ply for now.

on another thread, at one time you mentioned Cooper tires

I run Cooper tires on all my vehicles and never have had a tire falier. I have a set of Cooper Discovery A/T/R's on my Suburban 4x4 that I use mostly as a tow vehicle they are three years old and show little wear they are extreamly quite on the road and provide excelent traction. and if it means anything to you they are made in AMERICA:yes::yes:

I see that Discount tires here in Yuma sells Cooper, I think I will get a price quote for both Cooper and Hankook
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 09:43 AM

another question

the manager at Big O , says that he runs the Titto tires

any one here have any input on these tires
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 10:38 AM

..so the example tire M5** would have been manufactured in Nova Scotia by Michelin?

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks David I will look into it, I will shelve the 3 ply for now.

on another thread, at one time you mentioned Cooper tires

I run Cooper tires on all my vehicles and never have had a tire falier. I have a set of Cooper Discovery A/T/R's on my Suburban 4x4 that I use mostly as a tow vehicle they are three years old and show little wear they are extreamly quite on the road and provide excelent traction. and if it means anything to you they are made in AMERICA:yes::yes:

I see that Discount tires here in Yuma sells Cooper, I think I will get a price quote for both Cooper and Hankook

I have posted in the past that my Cooper Discoverer ATRs and Toyo Open Country ATs were also good tires and quiet on the highway... I ran them on my 2005 Tacoma.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 03:23 PM
BIG O TIRES

a little update

I just got back from Big 0 , talked again to the manager, I have known him for many years now

asked him about the Hankook tires and Coopers

he got me aside and told me he really doesnt get very competitive prices from the distributor on tires in these sizes, I guess Cooper makes tires for Big 0,
he told me the Border Patrol has been running Hankook tires here for some time now, and a tire dealer downtown has the inside track on them, I will go next week and get a price, and I might stop at Discount tire for a quote on Coopers
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
he got me aside and told me he really doesnt get very competitive prices from the distributor on tires in these sizes,

What size are you running? LT265s? LT285s? :?:

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2012 at 07:40 PM

LT265
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 09:39 AM

LT 265 -70- 16 Cooper Discovery A/T R out the door 600dlw with 75dls rebate= 525dls =131.25 dls a tire
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
LT 265 -70- 16 Cooper Discovery A/T R out the door 600dlw with 75dls rebate= 525dls =131.25 dls a tire

where did you get your Cooper from
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Express tire in Santee Ca.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:54 AM

I am totally confused now, I went yesterday to a Cooper dealer, Pucell tire , they are all over the western states

told me they dont make a Cooper LT 265 ?

he tried selling me a P rated tired, said that I dont need a LT,, I pull a trailer

went to Discount tire
same thing,, but they had a tire that I never heard of

Falken Tire by Rocky Mountain, they come in LT265/70 with 3 ply side walls, out the door was $ 661

any one here about this tire,
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:05 PM

Falken (made in Thailand) is fairly new to the off road tire market, but they are hitting the market hard.

Hankook (made is South Korea) has a large following on Tacoma World, and is what I am running now (P rated, but they come in LT as well).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Falken (made in Thailand) is fairly new to the off road tire market, but they are hitting the market hard.

Hankook (made is South Korea) has a large following on Tacoma World, and is what I am running now (P rated, but they come in LT as well).

David
so your running P rated, do you pull a trailer? I am pulling one its 4000 lbs, what would you suggest for me to run,
and what load range also,, I am having a hard time here in Yuma getting a good quote on tires, where did you get you Hankook from again
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Express tire in Santee Ca.

My bad the tires are not LT
they are 265/70r16 m&s tread 1ply nylon 2ply steel and 2ply polyester Sidewall 2ply polyester
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:27 PM

No, I don't pull a trailer... The truck comes from the factory with P rated tires and it has the towing package... so, the P tire is fine for towing. I believe you would step up to an LT tires if you have a camper on all the time, or regularly carry heavy loads... or just want a heavier, longer lasting tire.

I got my Hankooks from a local dealer here in Oceanside, who also sells General and other brands. Out the door, I paid $640. Recently, another auto shop quaoted me $580 for a set... Just check around auto and tire shops in Yuma.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:36 PM

okay,, what load range would you recommend
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 03:45 PM

It's a Tacoma right? Don't know the load letter rating, but from the sidewalls:

The Hankooks I have are rated at 2601 LBS. each (44 psi max).

The BFG Rugged Trails that came with the truck are rated at 2403 LBS. each (35 psi max.).

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 06:33 PM
The difference between P and LT tires

If you want to carry heavier loads, or want to travel on harsh roads, then the best tires are the LT tires, as they are tougher on the roads than the P tires. If you just want to ride on the highways, and if there is nothing much to tow or carry, then the P type is the best choice.

P tires refer to Passenger tires and LT refers to Light Truck tires. One of the main differences that can be noticed between the two types of tires is that the LT tires are not as flexible as the P tires.

When comparing their durability, the LT tires are more durable than the P type tires. Moreover, LT tires are stronger when compared to the P types. LT tires ride rougher than the P tires, which ride smoother on the roads.

link: http://www.differencebetween.net/object/auto-object/differen...

David - One question. With all of your backcountry drives that you go on, don't you worry about tire durability when driving on a P-rated tire? My friend Mike has had quite a few blowouts on the runs I have been on with him, and splitting BFG-ATs and Kelly Safari AT tires was a regular occurance for him. When he upgraded to the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tire, his problems went away. But, I wonder about driving off road on a P-rated tire, and if it is taking your chances or not?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
If you want to carry heavier loads, or want to travel on harsh roads, then the best tires are the LT tires, as they are tougher on the roads than the P tires. If you just want to ride on the highways, and if there is nothing much to tow or carry, then the P type is the best choice.

P tires refer to Passenger tires and LT refers to Light Truck tires. One of the main differences that can be noticed between the two types of tires is that the LT tires are not as flexible as the P tires.

When comparing their durability, the LT tires are more durable than the P type tires. Moreover, LT tires are stronger when compared to the P types. LT tires ride rougher than the P tires, which ride smoother on the roads.

link: http://www.differencebetween.net/object/auto-object/differen...

David - One question. With all of your backcountry drives that you go on, don't you worry about tire durability when driving on a P-rated tire? My friend Mike has had quite a few blowouts on the runs I have been on with him, and splitting BFG-ATs and Kelly Safari AT tires was a regular occurance for him. When he upgraded to the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tire, his problems went away. But, I wonder about driving off road on a P-rated tire, and if it is taking your chances or not?

Ken, as I said above, the P rated tire is what the Off Road Tacoma comes with... That is 3 trucks for me so far. The BFG Rugged Trails only last 30,000 miles and I replaced mine at 20,000. As you said, the LT tires are heavier, harder riding, and more expensive... so why wouldn't I get a P tire?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:20 PM

I have had two new 4x4 vehicles that came with P-rated tires----------------of the 8 total tires, 4 self destructed all with less than 18K miles, and one with less than 5K miles.

On all my 4x4's (3) I have had BFG AT KO's LT's after getting rid of the P-rated tires, and never had any problems since.

It's all in our personal experience, that's for sure. :lol:

Barry
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.