Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: rain rain rain
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 09:12 AM

dt....have you tried a plastic great horned owl on your boat yet?....that works great for keeping seagulls off our boat up north...m.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
I looked out and saw 6 pelicans sitting...and chitting on my boat so in a driving rain I launched the dingy and went out there to shoo them off. While I was there I went ahead and washed the boat and the bimini of the pelican poop, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get a fresh water rinse while it was raining. Hopefully they will find another place to roost.....

Here's one simple solution I read about :
PINWHEELS. You know - those little spinning things on the end of a stick you had as a child, that would spin in the breeze. They cost all of a dollar (or less) each, and I use 2-3 on each side, plus one on the bow pulpit. Figure out a way to attach them to the rails (I use Velcro cable ties), and just stick them on before you leave the boat -takes about 2 minutes total. The lightest breeze will make the little buggers spin like crazy - and the birds hate them. It works so well that the marina owner uses some around the marina himself, and the idea has caught on with other boaters in the area.
But this is probable the ultimate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfgxqHl1p0
http://gullsweep.com/More.html

Bob Durrell
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 10:40 AM

Uh Oh
The sun came out..............ouch

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 11:30 AM

poured again in la bocana last night - nada during the daytime except humidity and clouds. teeny tiny patches of sky thru the clouds but not much.

those pinwheels for pelicans sound like a great idea - when we had a boat, we got something in England that was based on the same idea - a bunch of wires that sway back and forth in the wind and are attached to a base.

funny story about that: when we first got back to la bocana and had our boat anchored in the water where all the fishermen launch their pangas in the morning, the popular belief was that our boat somehow had an electrical current that slightly shocked birds since no birds landed on it LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 12:58 PM

1400 Hours,

Here comes another impulse, about 120 KM in diameter. Higher cloud tops (Lightning?). Batten the hatches.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.