Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Bajadock Southbound
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 01:32 PM

Introducing my copilot, ice refresher, restaurant locator, beverage concierge and more titles than I can list for our 2012 Baja Adventure.

Yes, she is Nomad "Obafla" and many Nomads in Ensenada have met her.

[Edited on 10-31-2012 by bajadock]

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 08:11 AM

Las Mariscadas is a restaurant that is a slightly hidden gem of a seafood feast. We were referred there by the owner of Happy Ending Bar.

The restaurant is about a 1 mile walk from our hotel(Finisterra), located on Cabo San Lucas, 1 block north of Lazaro Card##as.

The simple palapa roof and entry open to an open air dining room that may seat 50 people.

We started with fresh oysters that were smooth and delicious.

One of their specialties is a whole fried fish. Tonight’s fish was a red snapper. Asked if they would grill it instead and they had no problem with that request.

Did not have my camera, but, you should have seen the skill with which my copilot took the fish tail and separated the meat from the spine and head within a few seconds. Asked her if she has done this before, and she said no. But, she always wanted to.

She also introduced me to a concept that I had not realized. Instead of ordering fish tacos, order a fish dish, along with veggies and some salsas. Add tortillas and you have the best fish tacos ever!

I'll always take a grilled fish to the breaded lumps that are known as Ensenada fish tacos. EFTs seem to excite gringos into euphoria. "Would you like your fresh caught fish a) fried in a vat of oil after we coat it in bread or b) lightly grilled with some garlic and olive oil?". hmmmmm.

This flaky red snapper had more than 1 pound of meat which made for a perfect dinner.

Jose, the owner, introduced himself and provided part of our food and beverage service. He has gained quite a reputation for only being in business a couple of years. Wish we were staying longer so that we could return and enjoy a fabulous seafood value.

[Edited on 11-1-2012 by bajadock]

[Edited on 11-1-2012 by bajadock]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 08:28 AM

NICE!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 09:31 AM

Yes, NICE FIND!

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 07:31 AM

Emma's massage with my copilot on the beach at Hotel Finisterra. We enjoyed Emma's hands two days in a row.

The waterfall leading from the 7th floor Whale Watcher bar/restaurant is a fun site at Hotel Finisterra.

Only big challenge at Hotel Finisterra Cabo San Lucas is a lack of coffee until 8AM. They DO provide in-room coffee makers, but, I was surprised that a hotel of this quality did not have morning rocket fuel somewhere around the main lobby in early morning. OXXO, 1/4 mile away was closest.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 07:36 AM
Mulege?

We're at Hotel California in Todos Santos.

Searching for Mulege/Santa Rosalia room for one night. Only have a room at Cliff's B&B in Mulege available thus far. Hoping to hear from Bob and Susan at the lighthouse.

Any new stays and recommendation in Mulege??? Thanks.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

We're at Hotel California in Todos Santos.

Searching for Mulege/Santa Rosalia room for one night. Only have a room at Cliff's B&B in Mulege available thus far. Hoping to hear from Bob and Susan at the lighthouse.

Any new stays and recommendation in Mulege??? Thanks.

April 18, 1957:

Howard Gulick photo of the Hotel California, Todos Santos.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 08:28 AM

Restaurante Equipale Mulege was a great relief for yesterday's road trip from Todos Santos.

After an unusual night when I didn't sleep much at Hotel California in T.S., we headed north. We were well fueled by H.C.s gourmet coffee and cinnamon rolls.

Made great time through La Paz. Also avoided the pain of "mordida city" in Ciudad Constitucion. There many stop signs and aggressive police force have a reputation. Very much enjoyed the mountain drive south of Loreto. Only problem on the drive was the 25 minute military inspection(approx 5 minutes per vehicle) northbound, a few Ks north of Loreto. No big deal, but, we had miles to kill along with a beverage bet on our arrival in Mulege with my copilot.

Found Restaurante Equipale by searching for directions for the famous Ray's. Locals told us about the bad road due to Ray's because of hurricane Paul and it was past 6:00PM and dark. They referred us to Restaurante Equipale. equipale: To fit out, to supply with everything necessary.

50 peso corkage fee for our Macon Villages Chardonnary is always fair, thanks. But, no clams or ceviche were available at Equipale.
Settled for a solid coctel campechana with shrimp, clams and octopus. Also had a yellowtail filet that was likely frozen. Large salad was included.

This meal would have served 3 hungry eaters. We demolished 90% of it. At 500 pesos(approx $40usd) we enjoyed the ez atmosphere at this second floor restaurant and attentive service.

Returned to our 2 c-ckroach hotel adjacent to the landing strip. One greeted us during our room tour with host. Other acted as bathroom attendant when we were putting on our faces for our big Friday night on the town in Mulege.

Good news at Serenidad was that the shower was strong and hot and the coffee in the restaurant was available at 06:30 this morning. I don't know why so many rave about Hotel Serenidad. Looks like it may have been a solid stay in the 70s or 80s.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-3-2012 at 10:10 AM

The hotel Serenidad was a first class hotel a few years ago, and being next to the airstrip, it was THE place to stay when flying into Mulege.

The last time we stayed there was about six years ago and it was really a first class accommodation, especially being next to the river.
I am guessing that several river flow-outs have taken a toll on the place.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:40 AM

Through gringo eyes, baños de Baja at Pemex gas stations are an interesting experience. Through gringA eyes, the experience is magnified.

During our 2,400 mile(and counting) adventure, we laughed along the way at the garbage dumps, also known as bathrooms, at Pemex stops. Gasoline, remove smashed butterflies from windshield, beverage and bathroom were our standard needs.

Here is my five star rating system for baños de Baja.

1. Abierto/Open? So many are closed due to "maintenance". During one long stretch, we found a newish looking Pemex approx 30 miles north of La Paz on hwy 1. My copilot was about to irrigate the gardens, but, we made it to the Pemex at the north entry to La Paz.

2. Llave/Key necesario? I understand that they would like you to purchase something, even if it is just a coffee. But do you know where that key and its holder have been? The Ensenada 7/11 Pemex on Costero, south side at Delante has a mini bat attached to the key. hmmm

3. Papel/Paper? We carry our own toilet paper. Approx 50% of the Pemex baños are SIN papel. Toilet paper and hand towels are optional accessories, so be forwarned.

4. Clean toilets/Sanitarios Limpios? If you mention this to the Pemex "office" upon exiting your gag reflex experience, you will get the 1,000 mile stare. Apparently, attracting customers to return is not a Pemex franchise core value.

5. Clean area w/ running sink water? Ok, we're getting pickee. So many of the stations had garbage cans that looked like they had not seen attention or emptying in weeks. Pemex on north side of LaPaz attached to an OXXO on its south edge. I wanted to take a photo of the trash in both men's and women's. But, we were anxious to move on.

One exciting event was our stop to get emergency gasoline in Catavina. I have yet to find out how far the orange low gas warning light gets me on the Pontiac VIBErator. Thought I could make it to El Rosario, but, decided to stop. 55 pesos per gallon was the price and I trusted that it was not watered down.

Included in the Catavina gasoline price were the colorful outhouses. Hey, they were outhouses, so our expectations were very low and were met.

But, I finally met the character, "Gotta Peso". Except, he must have changed his marketing strategy. He consistently asked, "Hey, got one peso?". I turned on my Baja "ignore" button. I believe he asked five times, which is the magic number in most selling schools.

Three baños de Baja to enjoy: Rosarito Hwy 1, just north of the toll booth recently remodeled. You can also get coffee and a snack. This is not a Pemex stop. El Rosario Pemex may have the best. The blow dryers at El Rosario Pemex will literally knock your socks off. A third bañosworth mentioning is the Vizcaino Pemex, north side of Hwy1, just east of the Tortugas/Asuncion turnoff.

Thanks for sharing your Pemex baños experiences.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:46 AM

"El Rosario Pemex may have the best."

Well, finally... the construction must be done... and Antonio's work being rewarded a one of the best Pemex bathrooms in Baja is great news!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

WOW....the Great Baja Restaurant Tour takes a detour. I think I would elect to unload in my pants before using that crapper.
Jeeeezo....there is just no excuse for that and it kinda defies the reason that it's a "cultural" thing......at least I hope it does.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:40 PM

Common guys, the green trash can is empty, the toilet is void of the previous visitor's deposit, the slats on the floor will help to keep your feet dry and the rim of the toilet bowl looks fairly clean, not that one would sit on it, but it's still spatter free. It's not the prettiest, but it's not the worst.

Fun post regardless.

Doc, hurry up and get to Bahia. I am anxiously awaiting your opinion/view/report on the town.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:47 PM

nice! way to screw up a really nice trip report!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2012 at 09:48 PM

Now that's a nasty bathroom.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
nice! way to screw up a really nice trip report!

BajaCactus?

Just kidding. Simmer down, DK.

Be it ever so humble,
there's no place like home.

:lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-5-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-5-2012 at 06:28 AM

notice when you travel with women the report turns to pemex bathrooms : )

actually my last two trips north included women...
voted "the BEST restroom" was el rosario pemex

"fantastic"

thank you antoino

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:06 AM

Stayed at Hotel Jardines San Quintin on our rebound trip north from Cabo. Jardines has to be the best value hotel in Baja.

We took time to enjoy the garden scenery. A bonus was having Guillermo and Carmen, the owners, giving is the grand tour. Their property was once simple farmland. in 27 years, they have transformed the place into a tropical paradise in an otherwise dusty Baja town.

Carmen, Guillermo, Alfonso and staff get all of the basics right. The hotel office might measure a whopping 6 feet x 8 feet. No need for the long bank teller facade here. Check-in staff, concierge, activity desk, housekeeping and General Manager are all rolled into one little space with a desk, computer and phone.

Coffee machine is outside and is turned on by the first guest rising that morning. The restaurant doesn't open until noon, so the cafe is the tables in the garden. Wifi internet and fellow travelers' stories are your morning entertainment.

www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:32 AM

There was a bit more activity at this spot in San Quintin than I remember from my last visit in 2006. Seems like a few more houses, more trash and more people are there.

The other thing my mind erased was the distance and washboard road that is rough on a small front wheel drive vehicle like my Vibe. It is 12 miles from Highway 1 out to this beach. Good news is that campers and explorers won't have too many crowds bothering them. My Jeep Cherokee is a much better vehicle for these spots.

Also visited the beach on the south side of San Quintin at Bahia Santa Maria. The Hotel Santa Maria looked a lot more quiet than during my 2006 visit. It was called La Pinta El Presidente back then.

Picked up a good collection of sand dollars during this visit.

Looks like not much has changed in the Pedregal development on the bay at San Quintin. I seriously considered buying a lot and building a full-time home here.

It amazes me how remote this spot is and how it would not have fit me. Sure, I'm a part-time monk and my neighbors in Punta Banda think I'm a recluse. But, I am a lot more social than most people know.

Vacation is coming to an end soon.

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by bajadock]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:50 AM

speaking of changes to san quintin what did you think of gulage old mill?

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.