BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Surfdoc
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:36 AM

Get an AED between a small group in your community. The main factor is that there is a 24 hour chain of command. That one person has it at all times and can deliver it immediately to the person in trouble. The machine will analyze the rhythm, if the heart does not have an abnormal rhythm, the machine will tell you NOT to press the button. This might be a cheaper and certainly viable option to split the cost among neighbors.

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:43 AM

there are so many things lacking in a small community like ours. The village ambulance doesnt even have oxygen! When we arrived on the scene, the paramedic was getting a pulse...he had a weak pulse but his breathing was very laboured like he was choking. They got him on a board but it was hard to get it out of the bedroom doorway. I was a bit surprised that the doctor didnt bring him into emergency...she said there was nothing they could do and I understand it is a rule they wont bring someone who's heart has stopped into the emergency...seemed so strange to me.

The coroner said Stan's heart was very enlarged and there was alot of fat build up in his arteries so his heart was working overtime just to pump the blood...he said stan was a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment....so I believe it was his day to die....oxygen, cpr or defibrillator or not....but that having been said...I am certainly open to suggestions on how to save a life.

Stan always said he was ready to go and his only wish was that it would be quick and it was....we figured about a half hour from when he was flipping the pancakes.

Today's tasks are to get the cross made...we hope the plaque on it will be in the shape of a yellowtail..get the grave dug...make some wreaths...get the slide show together...get the camp ready for the vigil...have a tecate or two.

thanks to all of you who are helping with the preparations and costs...it is greatly appreciated.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:44 AM
Keep your batteries charged, folks!!

And thank you, Iflyfish, for the used and refurbished link. What is important to remember: every few years the battery must be replaced, it's not important enough to keep it plugged in without checking the battery, and once the machine is used, and the battery is discharged, it needs to be replaced. I think the latest I have heard is that the battery is only good for 5 years, but even in hospitals, the common error is not to check the crash cart after the defib paddles have been used to see if the machine is plugged in and charging. Battery maintenance on these things are the number one concern.
Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
http://www.integrisequipment.com/Refurbished_AED_For_Sale_s/...

Used and refurbished Defib devices

Iflyfish
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:46 AM

Did not know Stan, but, from this thread, looks like he made things a whole lot better than he found them. Looking forward to joining the celebration tomorrow night. Let us know if we can pick something up on our way through Ensenada today.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Get an AED between a small group in your community.

Yeah....we've been all through this in the community. Problem for me is, they want to let the local mechanic be in charge of it, mainly because you and a few others insist it's simple to use.
It is irresponsible to suggest anything to the local group of expat mow-rons that will take responsibility for the machine out of their hands, but they're all for it because a doctor says it's a safe thing to do.
That machine will not compensate for the mechanics lack of training. He's even a shtty mechanic and you want to give him the job of saving lives with a stun-gun.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:48 AM

Be sure about not being in contact with metal when the defib is activated.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:54 AM

Dennis, I am frankly very surprised, that with you and all your experiences you would not be the first one up on Lomas Del Mar to start this thing going. I am sure a few of your neighbors up there who have been in life or death situations would be willing to give this a go. Punta Banda has to stop looking towards Alex Pabloff to start this thing..I have been trying for years with him and the fire station and all I receive is a slap in the face. Cypress, the voice on the machine states "All Clear" which essentially means no one can touch the victim when the button is pushed, and the machine with the button is grounded so you won't get shocked. I will go as far as to say that any Baja community without an AED is committing a slow suicide. Even Mexican malls and airports don't have them.....Honolulu airport had one every few gates.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:01 AM

EnsenadaDr, Thanks for the info. It's good to have a doctor in the house.:biggrin:
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:02 AM

Please stay on topic. Please take the political discussion to a separate thread.

Please
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:06 AM
ON Topic??

The topic is "A good man has died prematurely". ANY disagreement on that rdrrm8e??? No, I didn't think so. How sad is it that a 54 year old man passed away before his time? I am sure you would agree, VERY sad. On that note, many here, including myself, want to reduce the incidences of this happening. So we are trying to help and make suggestions to save people's lives. Too political for you?
Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
Please stay on topic. Please take the political discussion to a separate thread.

Please
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:06 AM

rdrrm8e,?????Must have missed something?:no:
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:07 AM

How do I put into words what Stan was to me?
When I first met him in 2010 at Campo Sirena, he flattered me by telling me I was beautiful. Then in the same breath, asked what he could do to get me away from my husband. I laughingly told him nothing, and he promptly responded, "Do you have a sister?" No, I'm an only child. "How about your mom?" Oh, Stan....you had a way to make people laugh even in the most uncomfortable of situations and I felt as if I had known you for years after only knowing you about 10 minutes.
It was a constant ribbing about how he would take my husband out to fish and he'd have a accident. We went back and forth between fondness and irritation, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. He helped us find homes for abandoned puppies, brought blankets for my kids while camping when we were cold, brought fish and beer almost daily, though the beer he was reluctant to part with. He shared a caguyama Tecate with me once, and asked Lionel the next day when he would get a replacement for it. That guy :lol:
We had a slight falling out over a misunderstanding last year, and he came up to me and told me he forgave me....even though it was really his mistake. He always referred to me as his wife, and that irked me. What I wouldn't give to roll into Asuncion and have him say that again.
As my hubby, BajaRat, stated...I too looked forward to growing old around Stanibuns. He was doing what we dream of doing...living life to the fullest amongst friends in Asuncion. He was loved for his blunders, his smile, his terrible Spanish, his larger than life presence.
I wish there was some way we could be there to pay our respects to him in person, but I know that he knows we are there in spirit. Stanibuns....you were one of a kind. I am honored that I, and my family, was even a slight part of your life. I wish I could have told you that I really did like you....I will miss you. My heart is heavy and aching for the friend that I will never get to enjoy a Tecate and a good natured teasing with again. Here's to you, my friend. Party on....

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:10 AM
Let's face it..

Cypress, what rubbed this guy/gal wrong was the inference about Alex Pabloff and the general apathy/fear or whatever of the Punta Banda community to mobilize together and purchase and use an AED. You see, from what I can glean, they all thought it was a gimmick or a money making scheme. When I started bringing this up, people thought I was trying to take over. It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
rdrrm8e,?????Must have missed something?:no:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:32 AM

Like Shari I am not sure anything could have been done to save Stan. He was ready to go. He told me that. It's not that he wanted to go, far from it, it's just that he was ready. He did live his life to the fullest to the moment he died. He was a good man and a friend to many.

We had a discussion a long time ago on making sure there are people around you in Baja know what to do in an emergency if you are not conscious. This again reinforces that need. If you have not done so now is a good time to put together your own emergency preparedness information.

An AED is a very important tool and is life saving. It is my hope that one day all communities in Baja will have this important equipment as well as Oxygen in their clinics. Anything that we Nomads can do to facilitate this is a gift we give to ourselves.

Iflyfish
bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:42 AM

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:

thank you Dr for your insights and I agree whole heartedly with at least trying to improve the chances of survival in case of a heart attack.

Too bad Surfdoc wont be around to help make much needed improvements in emergency situations but he would be so very glad that his death might lead to saving others in the future. He would have been the logical person to work this machine if we can get one here. I would also like to try to get oxygen into the ambulance.

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:

thank you Dr for your insights and I agree whole heartedly with at least trying to improve the chances of survival in case of a heart attack.

Too bad Surfdoc wont be around to help make much needed improvements in emergency situations but he would be so very glad that his death might lead to saving others in the future. He would have been the logical person to work this machine if we can get one here. I would also like to try to get oxygen into the ambulance.

Shari, I'm gonna contact Dr. Bob Haining and the Mother Lode of the Flying Sam's to see if they can help.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:55 AM

great idea Paul...Stan was always there to help with the Flying Doctors clinics here.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 11:01 AM

I think that Stan is smiling that his passing is pulling the Asuncion communtiy together, to try and better our community.
Sucks ass that it was his passing that spured this on, but all the same I'm glad it is getting communication and a wish list going.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 11:08 AM

Maybe the post strayed only slightly towards the political, but I would question the appropriateness of the whole discussion about what might have saved Stan.

This has really become a memorial thread for the man. I think we should respect that and allow it to continue. I suspect that's the point that rdrrm8e is making. He's probably known Surfdoc longer than anyone else on this board.

It's like showing up at a funeral and announcing to everyone that "......you know, he might have been saved if only............."

This is as close to a wake or a funeral for Surfdoc that most of us will get. Let's respect the mourners for a bit, here. The lessons to be learned will have plenty of time later.

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.