BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 08:39 AM

Nomads have been very supportive of adventures like this. You really aught to talk with Mike Younghusband if you have not yet done so. He walked the peninsula with his donkey and dogs, had a serious emergency on the way, used his SPOT device and pangeros helped him as I recall.

Wind, wind, wind. Winter there is wind, both sides. Serious wind, waves.

Fishing: Handlines are what locals have used for decades to catch shore fish. If you are subsistence fishing then just line, hook and gather bait as you go, musscles, clams, sand crabs etc.

Great adventure and you can count on Nomads coming through for you. It is also good that you are being challenged, this is a very serious and dangerous adventure you are undertaking. You will be in very remote areas, sometimes out of contact, without medical evacuation, in the natural habitat of sharks etc. What about fresh water? Will you stash provisions along the way as Mike Younghusband did?

This is one of your absolute best resources for technical info and support. Take seriously the advice you get here and expect to be challenged.

Iflyfish
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 09:07 AM

Sounds like a great adventure. Maybe I'll see ya down south in February.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish ........Wind, wind, wind. Winter there is wind, both sides. Serious wind, waves.

..as I said........be sure to take a couple of patio-umbrellas for sails,,usually a good breeze from the north!:biggrin:
Bajaahh
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 10:23 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. You'll be fine. Hispanics are the nicest people in the world and will give you the shirt off their back if you need it. Be respectful, dont "document" every surf spot, I would say tread lightly but you got that covered, pack/burn your trash, and enjoy the ride. You will encounter plenty of good people(of every race) that will share a cold beer, a warm fire, and certainly a good baja "story"with you as long as you follow the basic baja rules.
Instead of fishing gear, bring a Hawaiian sling and a mask. JBL sells a good one that breaks down into three pieces. They are perfect for traveling. You can get PLENTY of reef fish, halibut and...ah hum...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card). I hope your bringing a 4/3, hood, booties and gloves for northern baja, you WILL need it... ¡Buena Suerte!
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 10:41 AM

Sounds like a great trip, I am sure it will be an adventure, but I guess that's the plan. Getting fishing advice here may overwhelm you, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people. I reckon that by the time you are done you'll be experienced fishermen.:D For travel I have been using a 4 piece rod from LL Bean, the medium one.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77033?feat=travel%20rod-SR0&a...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card).

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would equate illegal lobster fishing with undocumented immigration. It's all so clear now.
Thank You. :lol::lol:
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 11:45 AM

There are a lot of valid questions you have and some of them I don't have answers to or time to go into them. I humbly admit that we are just two dudes and we can only do so much. Walking is perhaps the easy part. I do credit ourselves with coming up with a good idea. The rest of the story depends on the help of others. Just like Graham, we have good intentions and I believe that is why we've gotten to the point where we are now.

Katadyn's Survivor 35, desalination hand pump will provide fresh drinking water.
Must contact Younghusband yes! Thank you for the reminder.
Hawaiin sling and mask; oh for sure!
What do halibut bite at?
Wetsuits? We may just keep our surf sessions down 10 minute spurts.
Final route? Would love to finish working on an editable google map with pins dropped to our destinations. Although, should I post it here? I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion, which leads to anger, which leads to lashing out against helpless backpackers.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by whatiswest]

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
There are a lot of valid questions you have and some of them I don't have answers to or time to go into them. I humbly admit that we are just two dudes and we can only do so much. Walking is perhaps the easy part. I do credit ourselves with coming up with a good idea. The rest of the story depends on the help of others. Just like Graham, we have good intentions and I believe that is why we've gotten to the point where we are now.

Katadyn's Survivor 35, desalination hand pump will provide fresh drinking water.
Must contact Younghusband yes! Thank you for the reminder.
Hawaiin sling and mask; oh for sure!
What do halibut bite at?
Wetsuits? We may just keep our surf sessions down 10 minute spurts.
Final route? Would love to finish working on an editable google map with pins dropped to our destinations. Although, should I post it here? I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion, which leads to anger, which leads to lashing out against helpless backpackers.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by whatiswest]

I hate to see you starve.....you will find good info here for fishing:
http://www.charkbait.com/article/RAtom.htm

" I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion"
The confusion started when your post appeared with little detail and a lack of game plan......then asking for money through a Pay pay account.

You still haven't really explained anything about this run. Why is it so hard to give out some real simple information about this trek? Jealousy exist in all of us that are NOT in Baja at this time :-)

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 12:44 PM

Thank you for the response mcfez, you're right I forgot about the route. We apologize for the lack of transparency, do also keep in mind that our perspective for the project is on the microscopic level, and yes we forgot about the macro big picture. We intentionally didn't publish our itinerary because we don't want to pigeon hole ourselves, we appreciate the input of others to sway us on our final path.
Ya the whole asking for money issue: that was never our intent. We were testing a freshly made doc that we could pass off to build a grassroots support. Notice that building social media was stressed more than receiving monetary donations. However this doc was not tailored for this forum, our mistake.

We use NatGeo corporate logo as a means to establish legitimacy, so that we're not just 'a couple guys looking for a free backpacking trip'. This is however a grassroots effort. I did have to spend days and months writing grants without ever earning a dollar.

100 days! 1000 HUMAN POWERED MILES. No sherpas.
Depart Feb. 1st, following the Pacific coast by foot Tijuana to Scammon's Lagoon. Laguna San Ignacio first week of March. Cross to Sea of Cortez skirting Sierra La Giganta. SUP(stand up paddleboard) to La Paz. La Paz to Cabo Pulmo by foot. Cabo San Lucas.

What is happening? What has happened? What should happen?
So many stories: overfishing, drug wars, eco-tourism, adventure, fresh water, unrivaled desert-ocean landscape... list goes on

We hope to scratch the surface.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 01:12 PM

Thank you for the response. You now sound more legit. I'll back off now.

Your paddle boards......have you checked to see what the wind conditions are during the next few months? It just may be way too windy to deal with the white caps.......best to ask for windy conditions from the BN's that live on the Pacific side......historically weather patterns.

Food poisoning is another real threat. Cookouts can be a source of food poisoning. I know this first hand....being an experienced "primitive" camper, taught well to be extra careful when outdoors.....and I still got poisoned!! First case was down south off the Sea of Cortez 5 years ago....was lucky enough to have a young son pull be back to San Felipe. Second case was here in Sacramento last month......not so lucky. I am enclosing a link from http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/food-poison... for you and the crew to read. Take it seriously. I was within a few hours of death last month.

Learn to build a fire without a match :-)
A magnifying glass or a flint striker ...moister seems to always ruin the lighter and /or matches .

With the list of spots your listed as partial route....perhaps the BN's here that live near these points can fill in .....with information about the areas. More data ....the better, for such an under taking.

Good luck with your trek...........

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
Thank you for the response mcfez, you're right I forgot about the route. We apologize for the lack of transparency, do also keep in mind that our perspective for the project is on the microscopic level, and yes we forgot about the macro big picture. We intentionally didn't publish our itinerary because we don't want to pigeon hole ourselves, we appreciate the input of others to sway us on our final path.
Ya the whole asking for money issue: that was never our intent. We were testing a freshly made doc that we could pass off to build a grassroots support. Notice that building social media was stressed more than receiving monetary donations. However this doc was not tailored for this forum, our mistake.

We use NatGeo corporate logo as a means to establish legitimacy, so that we're not just 'a couple guys looking for a free backpacking trip'. This is however a grassroots effort. I did have to spend days and months writing grants without ever earning a dollar.

100 days! 1000 HUMAN POWERED MILES. No sherpas.
Depart Feb. 1st, following the Pacific coast by foot Tijuana to Scammon's Lagoon. Laguna San Ignacio first week of March. Cross to Sea of Cortez skirting Sierra La Giganta. SUP(stand up paddleboard) to La Paz. La Paz to Cabo Pulmo by foot. Cabo San Lucas.

What is happening? What has happened? What should happen?
So many stories: overfishing, drug wars, eco-tourism, adventure, fresh water, unrivaled desert-ocean landscape... list goes on

We hope to scratch the surface.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Well Doctor Baja.......
Their announcement from the beginning said "You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! " That's my beef with this whole thing. They are not. They are using transport for all of their equipment .....and whatever else. Hell......I at age 59 can walk the Baja too, as they claim to be doing. Walk a few miles....and presto...there's a crew with camp set up, din din hot and ready....perhaps a DVD to watch.

No no........their opening statement (using Graham as a reference of name in the post) made it sound like they are toughing it out. No donkey....just a fully equipped motor-home.

Ask for Pay Pay was another blunder. These guys have no idea of the cost.....no finale planning....and asking for money? No no!

Hell...I keep asking for them to post some very simple information here about the path they are planning to take....what type of crew and vehicle.......all to no answers.

Something(s) dont add up with all of this.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
As I said before, McFez, these guys, from what I have read about them, are clearly looking for an adventure. I don't think they know much about Baja, but one thing they are capable of is speaking enough Spanish to ask for the nearest taco stand or motel if all else fails. If they start their trek soon enough, they will avoid the heat and they are young and healthy enough to probably make it. They are from Malibu, Pepperdyne University. I think they are asking things cause they really don't know, sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disneyland...the more off the beaten path, the more exotic, the more appeal it has.
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line and hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Few things at least to know is........what fish to go after at what season of the year. What is the habits of fish. Live bait verses lures. Current to water temperatures.

Bottom fishing and surf fishing is the easiest. .......but you need to know about that too. It's NOT just about what rod or type of line!

As I said before........you guys are poorly planned, sounds like not much experience on primitive exploring. Y

You still have not publish any sort of game plan here. Certainly you MUST have a drawn path that you are going to take.......Sorry...I still say you guys are just looking for a free vacation. This so called "walking Baja" is nothing compare to Graham's trek (he actually walked it without a crew... feeding and bathing him each night).

I find it odd that you think it's so noble to donate a wet suit but here you are questioning these guys for asking for a free ride...:?:

Who said that I found it to be so noble to donate a kid an wetsuit? A 12 year child was asking for a wetsuit....something that is not available to 99% of the folks in Mexico. If i can make a child happy.......I will do that.....and have done it many times in Baja. Noble? No....just a decent human that shares with the needy. If you ever read my prior postings....you'll see where I am heavily involved with helping kids...in San Felipe especially. For a knucklehead such as you..... that comes along and uses a kid to make points.....you are not noble :-)

Question these guys about a free ride.............they/he responded in an most positive way to me........acknowledging that I had the right to ask hard questions. Let me shove that in your face a few times knucklehead.

Have you anymore silly retorts to make?

NOW......................back to the guys that are teaming up to walk the Baja.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 01:43 PM

It's my opinion people need to think of ways to plan, fund and execute their own excursions whether for research or promotion. The idea that others should/could fund your adventure sort of misses the whole point and the personal adventure of it. It sort of feels like baja is this place that these people imagine you should be paid to visit and that you just go and ask for money, rides and food? Sorry nope.

It's my impression that everyone would enjoy going on a trip to Baja and you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient, it's not that hard to do, people have done it forever and doing it on your own is the fun part.

This proliferation of trips that require and expect people to fund and deliver beers and tequila to wayward unprepared travelors is a bit much lately.

Call me old school, or even curmodgeon. I grow sick of baja slackers and mooches claiming some sort of achievement for getting by on others bakcs and encouraging more slackers and moochers who apparently aren't willing to work and save money or contribute to their own livilhood.

On the other hand, what is admirable are people who plan a trip, save money, work hard and spend a portion of their time contributing to Baja by cleaning up trash, sharing skills and ideas, music and art and contributing to the overall wellbeing of Baja.

While I don't know these guys personally I am going say nope to funding their trip and wish them good luck and best wishes earning it and achieving it on their own. If you make it on your own you'll appreciate it more and you can congratulate yourself on your personal achievement.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 03:13 PM

hahaha....I thought your post said edible google maps which I thought was a capital idea!...hope to hook up with you dudes in Ojo de Liebre...by the way, you can get the pangeros to drop you off on the other side of the lagoon for a great walk down the beach from there along Malarrimo to Bahia Tortugas or Asuncion etc...it was a great chapter of Graham's book....watch for bales!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card).

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would equate illegal lobster fishing with undocumented immigration. It's all so clear now.
Thank You. :lol::lol:

It's my understanding that swimming from the beach to get shellfish and eating it at the beach is not illegal--what's illegal is using a boat or harvesting and carrying to another location for example for sale or more than you can eat. This is traditional and current interpretation. You can't take more than you can eat on the spot obviously.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:13 PM

hiking with support of boat rides and meals-on-wheels just does not seem like a challenge,... just saying.

re walkabout for gen y in baja, i think we need more indian ascetics to wander naked in baja,...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:17 PM

just a heads up...on this part of the central pacific coast, it is a federal offense to take even one lobster or abalone even just to eat...the fishermen will be generous with providing food but I sure wouldn't want to be caught getting a lobster yourself here and the vigilancia watch very very closely.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
It's my impression that everyone would enjoy going on a trip to Baja and you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient, it's not that hard to do, people have done it forever and doing it on your own is the fun part.

This proliferation of trips that require and expect people to fund and deliver beers and tequila to wayward unprepared travelors is a bit much lately.

Call me old school, or even curmodgeon. I grow sick of baja slackers and mooches claiming some sort of achievement for getting by on others bakcs and encouraging more slackers and moochers who apparently aren't willing to work and save money or contribute to their own livilhood.

On the other hand, what is admirable are people who plan a trip, save money, work hard and spend a portion of their time contributing to Baja by cleaning up trash, sharing skills and ideas, music and art and contributing to the overall wellbeing of Baja.

"you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient"
hmmmmm

so you covered moochers and altruistic worker bees,... what about selfish worker bees or inherited money? trust fund babies allowed to travel in baja in the world according to gnu?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
just a heads up...on this part of the central pacific coast, it is a federal offense to take even one lobster or abalone even just to eat...the fishermen will be generous with providing food but I sure wouldn't want to be caught getting a lobster yourself here and the vigilancia watch very very closely.

Yeah, I'm amazed that anyone would suggest that these guys do anything to break the law in another country. Follow the laws and the rules, enjoy yourself and have fun.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Yeah, I'm amazed that anyone would suggest that these guys do anything to break the law in another country. Follow the laws and the rules, enjoy yourself and have fun.

Yeah....I agree. I also believe that two intrepid adventurers seeing a lobster swim by will be able to interpret those laws at the moment and shouldn't be discussing it on the WWW.
If they can't think for themselves, they shouldn't be leaving home.

Here is what Martha Stewart would do under the circumstances:

http://www.marthastewart.com/354999/lobster-newburg
Bajaahh
Junior Nomad

lol.gif posted on 1-11-2013 at 05:10 PM

Relax, Im sure NONE of us has EVER broken a law in Mexico, hell, they make half of em up as they go along just to try and make a buck off tourists.
...the taking of lobsters is illegal, it was a joke. :lol: Kinda.

I guess Im done on this thread, good luck boys, I hope to meet you on your journey...
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.