Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: San Francisquito
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rzitren
Some quick answers to questions about San Francisquitos
Jack Devine was a used car dealer and a bounty hunter from Tijuana and has passed away.

Ed Studley " Eduardo " who had the little jewelery shop and lived over in the port has also passed away.

The original owners were Rudy Vallodolid and Leonard Martinez and their picture used to hang on the wall in the bar looking like old time banditos.
The Vallodolid family sold the property off in 2007 to some group out of Mexico City. We were told that they planned on buying up all the land around that area and making it a private resort. My partner and I had a house there for 25 years and got to know the whole cast of characters that visited there. It is a time in my life I will never forget.

thanks for the update,, I bet you miss those times, when I was there with Jack, it was full of life and fun alot of good vibes
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 08:44 AM

The story I heard about Ed Studley was that he was wanted in the US and everytime we were there I noticed he always avoided being in the picture. We thought we had pictures of him at the bar or somewhere else but when we came back home we could not find one photo. One of the Mexican fisherman I met there told me he was waiting out the statute of limitations before he could go back. He did cover sea horses and small starfish with gold and I still have a set of the small starfish.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 10:08 AM

that's what i heard too - Ed was hiding out for 17 years. saw him often and one day they said he just picked up and left!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 10:11 AM

i hated it when they cleaned out the bar and took down all the cool pics and memoriabilia. Many pics of free divers showing off large kills from San Lorenzo isla.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 10:25 AM

Ah...great history. Seems there were quite a few 'wanted men' hiding out in Baja before the highway made it less desirable for lawbreakers.

San Francisquito's 'Ed' sounds a little like another shady character knick-named, 'Chicken Bones'... from another Baja hole-in-the-wall episode. Good old time stuff and sure makes me smile.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 10:40 AM

Ed was a World War Two Fighter pilot that was shot down in the pacific the same day as Pappy Boyington. He sat in a raft waiting to die when ships from the US Navy came out of every direction. They were looking for Boyington but found Ed. After the war he became a logger out of Redding California. He cut down a stand of trees on federal property without permission and they came looking for him. His parting words to the feds were " I am going to take the money, buy a boat, and go to Mexico". When we first met him he was living in the port and his 35 foot boat was sitting on the beach full of water and the money was gone.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Ah...great history. Seems there were quite a few 'wanted men' hiding out in Baja before the highway made it less desirable for lawbreakers.

San Francisquito's 'Ed' sounds a little like another shady character knick-named, 'Chicken Bones'... from another Baja hole-in-the-wall episode. Good old time stuff and sure makes me smile.

well come on Roger, you got me hanging here, tell us the story please about Chicken bones
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

well come on Roger, you got me hanging here, tell us the story please about Chicken bones

Okay will do, amigo...as I see this thread about San Francisquito kind of attracts it.

From another thread in 2006..

"Yes, I miss JR's style, too ...especially for this thread.

Thinking about adventurers, I wish I could find some photos of a certain day long ago when I met a young guy hiking by BOLA. He was on a trek, too, but seems his supplies were rather poor and some were lost in shipment, so we gave him boots and foodstuffs. Told me he was walking the entire length of Baja...both coasts. That was just a few years after the pavement was built. He made it..I hope. Was doing it all for donations to the Brittle Bone Cancer Society of London.

Then there was another youngster from England who was paddled the shoreline perimeter of Baja for donations to another cancer fund sponsored by the London Daily Mirror. Believe that was in 1980 or so..

Of course there were the odd nuts who: would backpack back and forth fairly often from Coyote Bay to the Pacific and howl at the moon...fly ultralights the entire length of the Baja Road from Ensenada to Cabo. Take a few two week burro trips into the San Francisquito Mts. and the Gigantas out of Loreto. A boating kook who took a 16' Lund with a 20hp Johnson from San Carlos to Ille Tiburon to San Marcos to Aqua Verde to Mag Bay. That amazingl Chicken Bones....A survivalist who outfoxed the Mexican Army from the mountains south of La Paz to the US border...then disappeared. Another island dweller at Ille del Fonzo who survived on that bare rock for almost a year...but had a ball doing it. Nice guy, Lorenzo...too bad he was asked to tear down his palapa and vacate.

Way back then, the desert and beaches were crowded with all sorts of adventurers doing all sorts of things. We met Graham for the first of many times around 1987-88, I think. My memory is a little cloudy from pounding waves for so many years. He gave talks on my patio, at NOLS next door, and in the Jungle Bar in Mulege. Always had an interesting slide-show.

Then who can forget the infamous...SILVIA!! Anybody out there know her/him? A very familiar figure on the old Baja Road from the 70's to the early 90's. Ah..the truckers knew THAT sight well! Guess he/she must be muerte now...cuz I quit having nightmares a while back. I last saw of 'Silvia' was coming back from Muluge late one afternoon...there was Silvia, laying on his/her back on the side of the road..torso out on the highway, clutching a bunch of plastic roses in her/his hands. A sobering sight.

Walkers, hikers, riders, paddlers, flyers, hot air ballonists, boaters, hermits, survivalists, and crawlers (rest in peace, Silvia) all have frequented and enjoyed the special mystic of Baja over the years...and more power to them. Wish I was a few years spryer..I would join them...hmmmm, who has some plastic flowers? "

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:06 AM

These memories and stories are the true wealth of this beautiful part of Baja....simple and enduring "truths". :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:16 AM

Silvia was a site one can never forget.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:23 AM

any one have any pixs of he/she
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:37 AM

Didn't take any because I did not want to remember that shadow under the makeup. I'll ask next time I am in GN if anyone remembers it.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 11:39 AM

:lol::lol::lol:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 12:20 PM

Now its too bad David didn't frequent the road then, he could have "preserved" it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the only image I have of ..ugh..Silvia is forever etched/ground into my memory banks. I surely wish I could give it to you.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the only image I have of ..ugh..Silvia is forever etched/ground into my memory banks. I surely wish I could give it to you.

Roger, I do hope that after a hard night of partying in the bay
you didnt wake up the next morning with whisker burns

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Roger, I do hope that after a hard night of partying in the bay
you didnt wake up the next morning with whisker burns

My Gawd! I thought that was the carpet!!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 12:58 PM

your safe with the secret,, we will not tell

but I am sure that there must be alot of secrets from way back when, not talking just about you, but from alot of old timers its part of the old Baja memories
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 01:23 PM

"My Gawd! I thought that was the carpet!!

:o:o:o:o

Maybe it was the carpet.....which means you must have been belly-down.....:o:o:o:o:o:o

And the other burning wasn't habaneros :lol::lol::lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-17-2013 at 05:05 PM

Here's the picture of Leonard and Rudy that hung in the bar for many years:

carpe diem!
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.