Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: The Road to Asuncion
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 10:34 AM
ASSORTED CANDID PHOTOS FROM ASUNCION

Driving down the main street of Asuncion the other day, I found out THE REAL TRUTH.

Dogs have masters...Cat's have staff!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the "ride along" ..... good deal :):)

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 02:22 PM
ASSORTED CANDID PHOTOS FROM ASUNCION

Photo 2

Udo's rental casa is conveniently located along a good surfing beach. The scene is easily viewed in comfort from the patio or just take a short walk over to the shoreline like I did. Note: I am not on any of those boards.

Photo 3

Another view of the ruined church at San Roque.

Photo 4

A handsome specimen indeed.

Photo 5

The most purplish casa I have ever seen. Made my cheeks pucker.

Photo 6

The blowhole next to shari/Juan's casa started to gurgle when I arrived. I thought that was rather rude, but I tried not to take offense.

Photo 6 1/2

If you're driving around the neighborhood in April...roll up the windows!

[Photo 7

Measuring fridge door clearances...hey, why not?

Photo 8

Clothes hung on a line dry in an instant. Did I mention the wind blows a bit here?

To be continued....and Pretty soon now I'm gonna get to some good café reviews in Asuncion.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 10:21 AM
“Never eat more than you can lift.” Miss Piggy

Miss Piggy is so right, as I have ...ah..'witnessed' on more than one occasion.

Another great thing I've seen about Asuncion is that folks like to get together often for fiestas. A lot like other places in Baja where people are happy with their surroundings and want to share that feeling.

And naturally these fiestas involve eating and favorite drinks. We were invited to a few and gladly accepted.

Here is a great sit-down taco café named Don Ramons. Note: I only mention 'sit-down' because “What you eat standing up doesn't count. “ :rolleyes:

Our first visit was early on a Saturday. Actually we were supposed to meet shari and others here for a NOON taco, but screwed up the time.

So..being Baja-vets, we adjusted rapidly and called it ... breakfast.

The tacos are deliciously made with only fresh ingredients, including a long line of relishes and condiments made before your watering mouth.

Operated as a second business, Don Ramons is open only on Saturday and Sundays, and it has become a regualr noontime lunch date for a lot of townspeople.

I saw somebody else has one of those old 'Singing Bass' hanging on their wall! Remember that crazy fish? Push the button and it sings, "Take me to the river..put me in the waa-ter..lah-lah"

Again, we had arrived ahead of the group..which gave me time to eat 5 tacos, rather the normal 2. “The only irritating thing about eating is that when you are done, you are no longer hungry.”

On a special Monday we were invited to another eatery.

A main street café named Loncheria Mari

We join some newfound Asuncion amigos and an old friend, shari for another great 'sit-down' feast. Gracias, Toni y Jim, for this fine dinner.

I had a delicious burger and beer(s), and others enjoyed the special 'domed' dinner...a seafood combination for which the chef is applauded. Congenial hosts, fine food, and great companions make for a truly enjoyable dining experience.

This is a wondrous café where a 'Forest of Pacificos' magically appear at your table....along with some scrumptious clam spread and crackers. Life is good.

I offered to be... 'Designated Driver'.

Everyone took a taxi.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 10:43 AM

Been away for a while and ran into Pomp in his Circumstance. Great to see some of my favorite haunts and those who haunt them!!

Life is good in the sloow lane and I see that you have sorted out how to weave over the center line in Asuncion.

It is good to see how you have been embraced by the locals, great people! I miss them.

Thanks for posting this travelogue of Roger's Great Adventure in Asuncion.

IflyfishconmiamigosinAsuncion
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 11:55 AM

Roger- Reading your travelogue is a great way to get ready for a trip to Baja. Pat and I are leaving Sat. April 20 . Plan to fly down to Mulege and visit the house on Coyote Bay for a few days. Seeing all those good meals is an inspiration. We'll make the Pig Roast Sat. night then maybe go fishing with Marlin. Looks like you had a super trip. Hasta.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for that, Rick, and all the good advice on what to do at the casa and in Asuncion. For any travel forum, I would plug this tranquil place on the Pacific side of Baja. (It's not quite Coyote Bay, but would rather be in Asuncion from June to November)

You will recognize the décor shown in the next and last photos from our trip to Asuncion...with attention to feasting!

We cooked many a good meal in Udo's kitchen, but one night we decided to follow up on a suggestion from shari and have our home dinner catered. This welcome catering service is performed by Juan's sister, who did just that. With fresh langosta, no less.

A delicious lobster dinner for two at a very reasonable price. We ate this delicacy con mucho gusto, believe me!

Here she is with her beautiful daughter. Mil gracias for a great way to get away from cooking!

A most pleasant & gracious woman whom I highly recommend. You will love her dinners!

"LIVE, LOVE, AND EAT! - good ol' Wolfgang Puck

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 03:59 PM

You too like naked, huh??

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
That stretch of beach break south of town looks so inviting. We drove by it last Summer -- it went on for miles and miles and miles. Desolate but close enough to town in case of emergency. Next time I'll have to take a trail down and check it out. Look like a good place to get naked. Sorry. Had to say it.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 04:10 PM

Roger...

no one tell a pictograph as you do.
And great writing as well, buddy!

Udo

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 05:07 PM

the lobster lady is Lupita...Juan's sister and that is Faviola her grand daughter...she make most excellent lobster dinners delivered to your table!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Quote:
That stretch of beach break south of town looks so inviting. We drove by it last Summer -- it went on for miles and miles and miles. Desolate but close enough to town in case of emergency. Next time I'll have to take a trail down and check it out. Look like a good place to get naked. Sorry. Had to say it.

sorry Ateo, i beat you to it again.....:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 05:25 PM

Great stuff Roger... living the life in Bahia Asuncion!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 05:45 PM

I had a sneaky suspicion that you had it in you, too, Woody!

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Quote:

sorry Ateo, i beat you to it again.....:light:

Udo

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Roger- Reading your travelogue is a great way to get ready for a trip to Baja. Pat and I are leaving Sat. April 20 . Plan to fly down to Mulege and visit the house on Coyote Bay for a few days. Seeing all those good meals is an inspiration. We'll make the Pig Roast Sat. night then maybe go fishing with Marlin. Looks like you had a super trip. Hasta.

Hola Vince,

Sorry I missed your post earlier, went to get some brake work done in preparation for the long haul Up North. Spring is in the air...and some friends in Fargo will flood to the treetops again...we'll be there to haul sandbags as usual and help things get back to normal quickly. FEMA need not apply. :rolleyes:

That and the dang bp went up instead of down. 206/115 was a bit off my intended mark for recuperating in Asuncion. Too much fun, maybe? I know, I know...I'll be hitting the clinic real quick....if not then the floor. ;D

Wish I could meet you for a good time reunion at The Pig BBQ. What truly great times we've had at that legendary place. Most folks have no idea what went on there every Saturday night for decades. And I can thank my lucky stars for that!

The old hangout is kind of quiet these days, I know....but then we've all slowed down a bit since then, right? Give my howdies to Don & Nancy.

I'd throw a snowball to you when shoveling my way thru South Dakota, but Coronado is a looonngg toss.

Have a great time in the Bay and say hello to Coyote for me. You guys, me, la co-pilots, and all the other wonderful neighbors love that place very much.

Hasta luego, amigo. Buen Viaje and my best to Pat.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:22 PM
Time for Sunset at Asuncion

"It is almost impossible to watch a sunset and not dream."

- Bern Williams

I could not agree more, Bern. I have had more than my fair share of sunrise and sunset dreams in Baja.

In Coyote Bay I have seen some of the most beautiful sunrises on earth. And as the perfect Baja counterpart, here are just a few of the magnificent sunsets at sea we marveled at from our rental casa patio in Asuncion.

These are my favorites:

From the patio. No more words are needed from me.

"Give me the splendid silent sun. - Walt Whitman

edited to say...Opps! This is the END.

[Edited on 4-19-2013 by Pompano]

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 08:26 PM

Damn, you've given me the itch again........time to start planning!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 08:02 AM

Roger, you always "raise the bar" on your trip reporting! Thank you for the tour of Asuncion, I just moved it higher on my "to go to" list! Hope to meet you along the way, some day! Wayno
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 12:00 PM

OK, this is one of those...where's Waldo...er Pompano...challenges...

Of course...there he is behind the bar...where else? He quickly immersed into Asuncion life all righty.

and ...hey, what's a few potholes amongst friends eh!!! hahaha

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 04:57 PM

The little blonde girl is pushing down Pompano's head, who is under the table.

Udo

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-19-2013 at 05:02 PM

Film?

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.